Battlemaster Vs Stalker

14 replies to this topic

#1 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 01:27 AM

So I got the urge to try and get into the assault category... Again. So far every time I've tried I generally did crap-all. Only exception so far has been the trial stalker, which I've done very well with. I'm very tempted to get it, but the lack of ballistic hardpoints is a bit of a downer (can't say I have a big hard-on for ballistics, but I do like to use them on occasion).

I've tried the Atlas, it's just too big and slow for me. Banshee is a walking turret as well. Victor and Highlander don't inspire me at all. The Battlemaster, however, looks cool, both in visually, hardpoint-wise and in terms of quirks. On the other hand, it also begs for big XL engines, and those are damn expensive. And they don't have the frontal silhouette of a stalker, either...

So how have your experiences with the two mechs been since the quirks hit? Which do you guys prefer, and what would be some kick-ass builds (aside from 4x LL)?

#2 Ens

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 November 2014 - 01:41 AM

BLR-G pretty standard: 6ML, 1ERLL, 2MG ( for help, popping internals when armor stripped on the enemy )

doing magics with it!
combined with a XL400 it goes ~84kph
very nice, runs cool and dishes out those ML´s pretty fast

#3 theta123

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 05:39 AM

Proud pilot of 11 battlemasters.
The G model is a great mech to start with. Always use the 6 E hardpoints for medium lasers.

These are 2 of my STD brawler builds
BLR-1G
BLR-1G

The 3M is a great second variant. Followed by the 1D
BLR-3M Wubmaster

BLR-3M

I have 2 G's, 2 d's, 2 S's, 2 M's, 2 S's and 1 Hellslinger.
I use mostly STD engines. You can do crazy **** with XL engines, but i personally dislike them on IS assaults

BLR-3M

Dont forget to front-load the armor!

Edited by theta123, 20 November 2014 - 05:42 AM.

#4 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:32 PM

The stalker is a beautiful mech in the fact they are quite simular but yet very different with the builds you can do on them.

Stalkers generally are very good at...
-LRM boats
-SRM boats (requires training in assault mech SRM boating)
-Streak SRM boats (^ but due to the small size of SSRM's, you will be able to mix it with the bellow...)
-Long Range energy boating (PPC's, ER LL, LL, etc)
- Pulse laser boat (normally med and large pulse)

It is very good at the role of assault, juggernaut, skirmisher, etc. Depends on the way you build it.

My Stalkers that I use.... (I own all besides the 4N)

STK-3F
STK-3H
STK-5S

My 3F is a stock+ build, it has the greatest angle of turn out of any other stalker in game so it's one of the best in brawling if you need a brawler stalker, however it also has a module for LRM 10 cooldown, so stuffing it with 4 LRM 10's could be an option.

The Stalker 3H is only worth buying if you want LRM 20 or 15 arm's, that's one of it's only advantages. Quirks want LRM 20's. The LRM 20 quirk is so good on that thing that I have issues thinking which fires faster, my LRM 5 or LRM 20 :lol:
You can remove artemis for more ammo / heatsinks if you wish.

My 5S is just something crazy I cooked up. With the quirks you can remove the er ppc's for large pulse lasers, I tried that and it also works well. 4 SRM 6's do quite a mean amount of damage.

I didn't link my 5M build because it's actually stock 100%, I didn't alter it at all but it plays quite well. It's like my stalker 3F stock+ build but in this case it IS stock. My stock-er is quite fascinating. My first game with it (no modules, no quirks, no skills) was slightly over 800 damage. This is one of the best stalkers to do an SRM build, if you want remove the narc for a 3rd SRM. it works well.

(Warning, art pass / geometry update hasn't taken place yet, so your weapons will have little difference or none at all if you remove/ add / change weapons to current geometry, only things that is changeable is the ballistic on the misery (first mech to have changable geometry) and also the narc on the 5M.

Your stalker may look very different someday soon)

XL engines on a stalker is only sane if your a range build, say boating ER large lasers, PPC's, or LRM's.
However try not to do XL engine, side torsos are quite easy to hit from the sides.

I also got the battlemasters. They have more diversity between varaints but it is a bit tough at times.
You can run a wide range off builds,

They are generally good at...
-LRM boats (1S, 3S)
-SRM boats (1S, 3S)
-Long Range energy boating (1D)
- Pulse laser boat (all, but particularly good in the 3S)
- rapid firing ballistics boat (1D, 1G)

etc, quirks fill in the details at there strengths.
They are generally good with energy mix ballistics with a pinch of missiles.

They can do a whole range of rolls. skirmisher, striker, brawler, Juggernaut, sniper, LRM boat, etc.

My load outs that I run is...

BLR-1D
BLR-1G
BLR-1S

My 1G is my first successful battle master build yet, it's quite awesome in many ways, using a simular build you can just do a stock ++ with an XL 400 or a standard something something.

My 1D keeps changing quite a lot over the past few months. (it keeps saying invalid build and I have to re-build it so I made it more simple so I can rebuild it faster, this problem is over atm. <_< )
I used to run an UAC 5 instead of a 3rd AC 2. It's quite fun at times but it can be improved.

My 1S has quite a fast firing LRM's due to perks. I love it. It's a mean LRM boat. Not much more to say
I used to run 4 SRM 6 + A before but the back up weapons of only 4 medium lasers was poor, it should be different these days now due to modules for weapons and quirks.

You can switch in an XL engine or not. The advantages that comes with XL can out do some off the negatives but it really depends on you. Most of the time in the battlemaster if I get damaged to the point I lost my torso my CT is usually cored and orange or red or my other torso is bout to blow. So I went with XL in my brawler ones.

Personally I say go with what you want. Both isn't exactly the 'meta' mech of MW: O and never has been and both is quite fun.

The Battlemaster is quite amazing to have in this game. It's Battletechs icon and is the most iconic mech out there.

Stalker is also quite nifty, it's a Star League favorite, it can run hot sometimes depending on the build but a stalker should have a pilot that is the master off firing his weapons at the best time and not over heat. This used to be regulated via a targeting computer but that tech is lostech now.

Battlemaster is generally faster then the stalker and is the current fastest assault mech I believe that isn't a hero, gargoyle/ man'o'war will change that soon but battlemaster can do more firepower over that thing.
Stalker has the best range of possibilities as an LRM boat and is better at a laser boat while the battlemaster can do some ballistics. hope this helps.

#5 Shiven

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 21 November 2014 - 12:23 AM

I recently bought the STK-4N because of it's bonuses to large lasers. Being efficient weapons, firing a pair on each arm is sustainable if fired with a slight delay.
STK-4N

I've been running the above build as a heavy skirmisher, anything I engage @ 300-500m gets slammed by missiles and large lasers. Makes a good sniper because of the height on the arm weapons.

#6 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 03:52 AM

Thanks for the replies, folks! I bought the STK-4N for now (I just like the look of it more, and performance wise the two seemed similar), and thanks to the premium time this weekend, I've got another 8M to spend on a second one. I think I'm going to get the 5M and then the 3F (quirks suck, but torso twist range is nice and I already have close to 50k XP on it through Trial).

Does the 5M work as an SRM boat? Or is the slow and limited twist range too low?

Edited by eFTy, 24 November 2014 - 03:58 AM.

#7 theta123

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:55 PM

The 5M can work just fine. But you must be a frontline brawler, not a flanker brawler.

STK-5M FRONTLOAD THE ARMOR. i of forgot!

This was my 5M build back in the old days. WP1 5 ML. WP 2 Chainfire 5 ML

WP 3 Left SRM's. WP 4 Right SRM's. WP 5 Chainfire SRM's.

Try not to alpha strike. The heat is a bit to much to handle. Think like an atlas but always stick with your friendly assault mechs. Let them take the heat and then pop up and unleash an serious powerfull punch.

I also ran this build for a while
STK-5M

pelting away the armor with those 5 LRM 5's and then closing in and unleash with a 30 alpha

Edited by theta123, 24 November 2014 - 01:57 PM.

#8 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:44 AM

Ah, very nice then. I bought it. Right now I have set it up like this: STK-5M. Took it out in testing grounds and I was more than a little surprised by how (relatively) cool it went (all things considered... it's not an objectively cool build).

I was thinking of something like that LRM25 plink build too. Should be really fun, and unlike the Griffin, you can actually carry more than one large laser while doing it.

And for my final set of questions - is there any serious reason to get the 3H or 5S instead of the 3F for my third stalker? (not going to get the Misery any time soon). The 3H gives me 50LRM volleys, but not much else. The 5S has a cute, but marginal bonus to large pulse lasers that's not really that impressive. 5% more range vs -10% heat & cooldown...

#9 Temptis

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 68 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 08 December 2014 - 06:06 AM

the 3H has the best heat generation quirks and can pack a nasty suprise that rivals the corresponding ST-5M build in Alpha and DPS while running a lot cooler

the 5S can emulate the Wubshee (Wubsker) but it lacks the speed of the 400XL powered original.

the 3F has the best Torso Twist Angle of all Stalker Variants and can do about all builds any other Stalker Variant can do.

#10 salkeee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 172 posts
  • LocationTree House

Posted 11 December 2014 - 04:32 AM

Not sure did any1 mentioned it but stalkers are unique IS assaults in a way that they are very good at staring part just dont be stationary and ur fine,becouze of that alone they are much more "noob" friendly than any other IS assault.
Didnt play BLRs but they are next on my to buy list.

#11 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 18 December 2014 - 10:15 PM

Wish I saw this thread when it was new, but in case anyone is curious...

I've used all of the BLRs, and they're fun mechs. However, in order to really shine they need a 375 or larger XL engine and get double basic skills unlocked. With a 400XL and speed tweak you top out at 83.9kph, and something that size with enough speed to chase down Inner Sphere heavies (and slow mediums) is kinda' creepy. Just remember that you still turn, accelerate, and stop like a truck. Your torso energy points are mounted very high, giving you almost unmatched ability to shoot over terrain (or short team mates). BLRs are not particularly meta, so many players will default to aiming center mass, which negates a lot of the XL engine vulnerability (also, most builds neglect one of the arms, which can then be used like a shield). Overall, best used as a super-heavy skirmisher.

I've never used Stalkers, but have seen them in action plenty since open Beta. Almost nothing tanks damage like a standard engine Stalker, just a little torso twisting can spread damage all across your mech (which also has a pretty narrow CT hitbox). Your arm energy points are high, which gives them good clearance (not as good as the BLRs torso guns, but still very good). Long or short range, the Stalker hits like a truck. The drawback is that Stalkers are incredibly slow, so you have to be on top of your tactical positioning. A positioning error can easily be exploited by the enemy team before you can correct it.

I've also been in 1 or 2 BLR vs STK duels, and those are largely a contest of speed vs hitboxes. As a general rule, unless the BLR is very fresh (or it's an engagement that greatly favors one build over the other, e.g., LRMs vs pulse lasers at 100 meters), the STK will likely win. The BLR has to be more of a pack hunter, it is not particularly well suited for duels.

Overall, both mechs are good, but fill very different roles. And if you are on a c-bill budget, the Stalker is much cheaper to kit out.

#12 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:13 AM

Those are all very good points. And yes, one of the main reasons why I picked the stalker (beside loving the look of it) is the fact that it's much cheaper.

I wouldn't say I have a big problem with the top speed - it's still faster than an atlas or whale. It's major drawback is the extremely limited torso twist range and slow turn speed. It's VERY important to be well aware of it and to do your best to avoid getting so close to mechs that they'll be able to use that to their advantage.

Which is why it pisses me off to no end that the SRM quirks are not on the 3F...

#13 BeaverOnFire

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 03:38 AM

I didn´t find a proper thread via search so i´m using this one for my question. I hope it´s ok. :) As for now i´m mastering my stalkers and im in need of one more stalker to do so.

I own the STK 4N (my favourite) and the STK 5M and now im torn between buying the 3F and the 5S.

In the long run i would sell the weakest of the three chassises. That leads me to my two question:

Which one should i buy and after mastering the chassis, which one would you sell?

Thx for your answers in advance. :)

#14 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 04:22 AM

Get the 3F. The increased torso twist range is well worth the mediocre quirks it got.

As for keeping, I myself am keeping all 3.

#15 Zephonarch II

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 328 posts
  • LocationBack in the MWO and... its fun, but Nascar steamrolls still lame.

Posted 29 December 2014 - 10:29 AM

The STK-3F is the be-all and end-all for Stalkers. With the although limited Missile cooldown quirks, and utilized with the Command Console, Bap, Adv. target decay and adv. range, 3ERLLs and 2 LRM10s can be very deadly even when playing alongside a team NOT providing locks, thus passive players. My speed tweaked standard engine runs at 60km/h, its a S.290. Otherwise the quirks do not help me that much when running 4LPL/4LL/2PPC w/ 2LL w/ AMS energy builds, but the torso twist stats make up for it. The 3F is definitely my favourite.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users