#21 Feuerfuss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 185 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 06:33 AM

View PostAno, on 20 November 2014 - 05:29 AM, said:

1. Locks
LRMs aren't truly fire-and-forget. They only keep tracking your target for as long as you maintain a target lock. That means if you get lock, fire off a volley of missiles, then lose track of the target while you reposition, the missiles will hit wherever the target was when you lost the lock. If the target is moving at all, that means the whole volley will miss.

Note that you don't necessarily need line-of-sight to the target -- provided someone else has them in view, you can keep your reticle over the target box to maintain the lock, even if you can't physically see the target through the building you're hiding behind!.

When losing target lock after firing LRM sometimes it is also good not to choose a new target and point the recticle in the direction where you guess the target could be moving. If the target is visible or targetable again it is possible to get the lock again with LRMs in mid-air and hit the target regardless of the previous lost lock.
At beta times you could also exploit this somewhat. Lock on - Fire -Turn away - Lock on again - and hit the target with LRMs flying almost horizontally and with LRMs in a more conentrated bundle. But i don't know if this is possible anymore.

#22 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 20 November 2014 - 06:56 AM

View PostFeuerfuss, on 20 November 2014 - 04:05 AM, said:

Zero dmg with LRMs up to 120m range and above 1000m on IS with IS LRMs

LRM Minimum range is 180 not 120

View PostAgarethPT, on 20 November 2014 - 04:34 AM, said:

Hey :)

I really apreciate all the info.

I'm still REALLY low on cash to try all this stuff (have arround 1.9Mil). The XL alone will cost me an arm and a leg to get and tbh, I don't even know where to find the Artemis thing :huh:
1) Also, doesn't the XL take more space then STD?? Don't hurt me.... still a newb :)

2) This brings me to another subject; Why are some items Blocked (the 4x magnifying thing for example)?

Anyway, I'm glad to see I'm on the right track since you also fitted 4x10LRM in your build. At least I got that far.....

I'm seriously thinking about retarting and being a bit smarter with my money. It'l take far less time completing the 25 starting games then earning enough money now to do whatever with the mech I got.

What do you think??

1) An eXtra Light engine costs more, takes up more slots and makes your mech more vulnerable (if you loose a side torso you die) however it weighs half as much for the same engine size as a standard engine.

some Mechs (the Catapult, Dragon and Jenner) have relitavely huge center torsos and tiny side torsos, so rairly loose a side torso so the vulnerablilty does not matter,
there are a few XL engine = suicide Mechs like the Atlas and Stalker where the side torso is far easier to hit than the center so an XL is unwise but most mechs can run one provided you can spread damage, basicly if you pilot a mech and 4 times out of 5 you die from a center torso or loosing both legs it may be worth running an XL it is also usualy worth running an XL if you will be moving 100+

2) most of the Modules have to be unlocked with GXP before you can purchase them, each match you earn some GXP (I think roughly 5% of the ammount of Mech XP you earn) you can also use MC (purchased with real money) to convert spare Mech XP to GXP.
to unlock a module go to the skills tab, then piiot skills and find the module you are looking for on the list (sounds like you want the advanced zoom, if I remember correctly it costs 5,000 GXP to unlock it), then you can go to the mechlab, configure the mech ahd click on the modules tab, there you will be able to buy the unlocked advanced zoom for 2,000,000 cbills, it is one of the cheepest Mech modules, many of them cost 15,000 GXP and 6,000,000 Cbills.
There are also consumable modules (Air Strike, Artillery Strike, coolent and UAV) and Weapon modules (extra range or faster recycle for a specific Weapon e.g. UAC5, ER Large Laser or LRM10)

#23 Moomtazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 577 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 07:16 AM

I am very much anti-LRM but I can see the attraction in your case since you are new and having trouble with movement and aiming. Work on it and try to get off of the LRM crutch asap, but until then this is a pretty good all around build for a C4.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...517a40224fb5378

It has 2 LRM15+artemis with enough ammo for 37 salvos of 30 missiles, which should take you through a match. It has TAG which you should always take on a LRM mech. It has BAP which you should always take on a LRM mech. For self defense from lights it has 1 Med Laser and 2 Streak2s, which when used with the BAP, remain effective against ECM mechs.

Please buy a K2 asap and work on your aim though....

Here is a similar build using the stock STD260 engine. This will let you get rolling faster although it still uses Endostructure, Double Heat Sinks, and Artemis.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...55eebb4d8744aaf

Here you go with no extra addons. It looks pretty hot so I'd save up for DHS first.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b84b5f9a2fcc88f

Edited by Moomtazz, 20 November 2014 - 07:25 AM.

#24 Feuerfuss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 185 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 07:43 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 20 November 2014 - 06:56 AM, said:

LRM Minimum range is 180 not 120

Ooops. Yes. :rolleyes:

#25 Shatterpoint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 358 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:38 AM

"I'm REALLY new to MWO and I'm strugling a bit with my role ingame."

If you're LRMboating then your job is match troll/suppression troll, I don't say that to be nasty it's just a fact. You're the guy everyone hates, on the enemy team and often your own team.

You're either punishing anyone dumb/unlucky enough to be caught out in the open or bored enough sitting behind cover all match to leave it on a suicide run. Losing a match is better than looking at rock textures waiting for you boats to run out of ammo.

#26 zudukai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 09:20 AM

you really should take another look at having jumpjets, they give you the angles and assist you in avoiding the common roads, you should try maintaining a position on the flank of an enemy trying to limit as much of their movement as you can.

target decay is invaluable with lrms, you should strive to have this.

Beagle active probe (BAP) is also extremely helpful with LRM's and also should be considered, it functions like tag in a sense that it cuts through ECM at medium range,

try and stay moving, even if it's back and forth some, as you get to know the maps, you will remember the firing lanes and the usual well traveled areas to focus your attention on.

as it was said always be on the lookout for NARC and targets that are TAGd'

try this as you develop this mech farther.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...26e0d74b8a5c41d

Edited by zudukai, 20 November 2014 - 09:57 AM.

#27 Ascaloth

NUMERO UM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 569 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 20 November 2014 - 09:27 AM

View PostShatterpoint, on 20 November 2014 - 08:38 AM, said:

"I'm REALLY new to MWO and I'm strugling a bit with my role ingame." If you're LRMboating then your job is match troll/suppression troll, I don't say that to be nasty it's just a fact. You're the guy everyone hates, on the enemy team and often your own team. You're either punishing anyone dumb/unlucky enough to be caught out in the open or bored enough sitting behind cover all match to leave it on a suicide run. Losing a match is better than looking at rock textures waiting for you boats to run out of ammo.

I can only disagree. Indirect fire support is very useful. If no LRMs are flying the enemy team is free to roam and do wherever they want without worry.

Playing a LRM Boat is much like playing a Support/Healer character on a MOBA style game: you don't see much action, but you are an invaluable asset to your team (but in LRM Boats you also do the killing!).

After the recent nerf on LRMs, its use decreased A LOT. The sniping/long range "phase" only lasts a moment, then we have brawling for the rest of the match. I'm not complaining, i love brawling, but in this scenario bringing a LRM Boat along is a strategic choice, because if the enemy march to brawl, they will be doomed.

#28 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:01 AM

View PostAscaloth, on 20 November 2014 - 05:55 AM, said:

Once you get all the Elite skills for those 3 Catapult variants, you will become a Master - not only for Catapults, but for ALL heavy mechs, and no longer need 3 Heavy Mechs variants to reach the Master Skill...well...still need for the Elites, go figure...
Oh, the Master Skill is an extra Module Slot. Seems useless but, believe me, it's not.

What do you mean by this? Am I missing something? I have to have 3 variants of any given chassis to unlock anything more than basic.

#29 Shatterpoint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 358 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:14 AM

View PostAscaloth, on 20 November 2014 - 09:27 AM, said:

After the recent nerf on LRMs, its use decreased A LOT. The sniping/long range "phase" only lasts a moment, then we have brawling for the rest of the match. I'm not complaining, i love brawling, but in this scenario bringing a LRM Boat along is a strategic choice, because if the enemy march to brawl, they will be doomed.

I guess we're in very different brackets then.

Average match for me now:

*Everyone sizes each other up for a few seconds.
*INCOMING MISSILES
*INCOMING MISSILES
*INCOMING MISSILES
*INCOMING MISSILES
*If anyone's left alive it's a fight to the finish vs. the dire/timber wolves who've come trekking across the map to easymode the remaining mechs.

I'm not just talking from the losing side either, when my side has the LRM boats on it's the same thing but in reverse..I could sit at spawn and watch that same thing play out with the enemy team sat behind cover being softened up by missile fire until the big clanners reach them to mop up.

Only thing saving that exact outcome is me being in a brawler AWS with a faster speed than the wolves.

#30 Ascaloth

NUMERO UM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 569 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:32 AM

View PostJody Von Jedi, on 20 November 2014 - 10:01 AM, said:

What do you mean by this? Am I missing something? I have to have 3 variants of any given chassis to unlock anything more than basic.

If you already mastered another chassis of the same weight type (Heavy, in my example) you still need to unlock all Basic skills on 3 chassis to gain access to Elite, but don't need anymore to unlock all Elite on these 3 to unlock Master, just need to unlock the Elite skills for a single one :)

#31 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:43 AM

View PostAscaloth, on 20 November 2014 - 10:32 AM, said:

If you already mastered another chassis of the same weight type (Heavy, in my example) you still need to unlock all Basic skills on 3 chassis to gain access to Elite, but don't need anymore to unlock all Elite on these 3 to unlock Master, just need to unlock the Elite skills for a single one :)

OK, I'll have to look at this. Currently unlocking TDRs. I have all of the QKDs completely unlocked. So, what you're saying is, once I have any one of the 3 TDR I own unlocked as far as Elite, I can unlock the master module slot on that variant without unlocking all of the Elite skills on the other 2 variants?

Been playing for 2 years, and still learn something new every day. I guess this is what keeps me around.

#32 Ascaloth

NUMERO UM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 569 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:51 AM

View PostShatterpoint, on 20 November 2014 - 10:14 AM, said:

I guess we're in very different brackets then. Average match for me now: *Everyone sizes each other up for a few seconds. *INCOMING MISSILES *INCOMING MISSILES *INCOMING MISSILES *INCOMING MISSILES *If anyone's left alive it's a fight to the finish vs. the dire/timber wolves who've come trekking across the map to easymode the remaining mechs. I'm not just talking from the losing side either, when my side has the LRM boats on it's the same thing but in reverse..I could sit at spawn and watch that same thing play out with the enemy team sat behind cover being softened up by missile fire until the big clanners reach them to mop up. Only thing saving that exact outcome is me being in a brawler AWS with a faster speed than the wolves.

Maybe we are. Yesterday night i played a few games in my Cicada-2A:

1x new forest map (forgot name): Not a single LRM flied.
2x Mining Collective: One had lots of LRM on the enemy team, the other had few LRM in both teams
1x Canyon Network: Very few LRMs, loads of PPC and ACs.
1x Caustic Valley: Very few LRMs, enemy rushed us like a dire bull and we got steamrolled in 2 minutes.
1x Crimson Strait: Few LRMs, we forced a brawl right at the beginning on B2 city and everybody else joined. Got "Incoming Missile" warning twice, then no more (guess that Atlas we shot down in less then 1 minute was boating them). Dat match very adrenaline 10/10 wow!
All these games had a lot of brawling. And i mean A LOT! Much more than a week before!

OK, I'll have to look at this. Currently unlocking TDRs. I have all of the QKDs completely unlocked. So, what you're saying is, once I have any one of the 3 TDR I own unlocked as far as Elite, I can unlock the master module slot on that variant without unlocking all of the Elite skills on the other 2 variants? Been playing for 2 years, and still learn something new every day. I guess this is what keeps me around.

Yessir, that's right. :)

http://mwomercs.com/...3-elite-skills/

Edited by Ascaloth, 20 November 2014 - 10:56 AM.

#33 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:13 AM

I love catapults, but i will say the C4 is my least favorite.. It just is hard to run as a boat, at least for me anyway.. I much prefer a C1, with dual LRM15's and some energy.. But outside of that... Seeing you have the C4..

Step one
Drop 2 JJ's and swap out your two SML's, for ML's and add an extra ton of ammo

Step two, Get Double heat sinks.. first upgrade

Step three, Get endo steel.... and you can swap to a pair of Medium pulse lasers. for more close range punch. I much prefer them over ML's especially when i only have 2 on a long range mech.

step 4, Get an XL engine, Either an XL-300, Or XL-280.. though honestly when i run my C4, i use an XL-260.. I figure it is my slowest of my long range cats, might as well pack a punch.

once you got this, add artemis, as you will now have the tonage..

BUT, remember cat's dont always have to be LRM boats.. You could run 4 SRM's with some ML's or MPL's and be a short ranged brawler back up.. aka follow the assaults and when the brawling starts do some crazy up close and personal damage.

Just going step 1-3 should set you up in a decent place where you can grind and grind, and make money to get your next mechs, and XL engine.. (i say get the XL-280 as it is more flexible in many other mech builds, especially when learning the game)

But, If you are having enough fun grinding C-bills in your modified C4,, It might be worth it to keep grinding till you can afford a Cataphract 3D, as it comes with an XL-280, and is one great mech! then you can try your hands at a heavier, more brawler heavy.. Before you decide to sink your life into grinding 2 more Catapult chassis. That said, When you do unlock elites, and finally get extra master module slot, that is when your mechs truly shine.

the Jaeger, hero firebrand, and the cataphract ilya are MC mechs that come with an XL-280.. If one happens to come on sale, and you don't mind spending some MC.. this is a great way to get a XL engine. You can also click here to look for other mechs that have those engines.. You can get an XL-300, or an XL-275 in many mechs http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/

While the XL-275 and XL280 weigh the same, the XL-280 is the better choice for a catapult, but other mechs cap out at 275, and the increase in speed is very small... So as the most versatile engine, the XL-275 nudges ahead.. You can grab one of the 55 ton mediums, SHadow hawk, Griffin or WOlverine, along with the hero heavy metal, and i think something else to get that engine..

While you may have to grind double, you can think of it this way, you have a great mech to play later.. Sometimes it is better for a new player to get a few different mechs, and customize them, and play around to see what suits them. Though nothing wrong with playing trials too.

Good luck!!!!!

PS, using LRM's doesnt mean you have to sit in the back.. I find often in my LRM mechs, i tend to skirmish in the 225-450 range depending on my back up weapon set up.. at say 300m,, an LRM 40 SHOT packs a huge punch...

#34 Shatterpoint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 358 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:16 AM

View PostAscaloth, on 20 November 2014 - 10:51 AM, said:

Maybe we are.

Hopefully I'll to enjoy the brawling on your level one day, those rare moments are the only reason I still play this game.

I'll leave it there rather than highjack the OPs thread, just know you're gonna be loathed as an LRMboat regardless of how good or bad you are at that role. IMO you're the equivalent of a sniper in fps games, maybe the skilled type that can hit key moving targets, maybe the farming type that sits there with the mouse on position X because it's a area where heads always move through in high numbers...still just a hurdle to a fun match, apologies for any chat hatred in advance.

#35 Ascaloth

NUMERO UM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 569 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:28 AM

View PostShatterpoint, on 20 November 2014 - 11:16 AM, said:

Hopefully I'll to enjoy the brawling on your level one day, those rare moments are the only reason I still play this game. I'll leave it there rather than highjack the OPs thread, just know you're gonna be loathed as an LRMboat regardless of how good or bad you are at that role. IMO you're the equivalent of a sniper in fps games, maybe the skilled type that can hit key moving targets, maybe the farming type that sits there with the mouse on position X because it's a area where heads always move through in high numbers...still just a hurdle to a fun match, apologies for any chat hatred in advance.

I think the LRM role is quite different from the Sniper role, since the Sniper is a spotter/long range killer. LRM is an mobile artillery, nothing else :/

Oh i'm loving the "return" of the brawling :D i'm changing many pure snipers loadouts to brawling/hybrids loadouts, can't have enough fun! The Cicada-2A i played yesterday had ERPPC+5 Med Lasers...sweet...just sweet!

Edited by Ascaloth, 20 November 2014 - 11:28 AM.

#36 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 20 November 2014 - 05:23 PM

Could go with this setup for medium/long range combat. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b94a5e4c0f896c9

This should work for Short/Medium/Long range combat. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4f92fed7b0a345c

This one has a weaker medium/long range but a stronger short/medium range. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c3cbf22c8aa728c

Same build but not as hot. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c4e01febec68a9f

#37 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 20 November 2014 - 05:33 PM

If you buy a 'mech that already has an XL engine in it, it's cheaper to go that route, plus you get a 'mech to play with. Also, instead of selling weapons/equipment/engines you own, keep them in your inventory seeing as how there isn't a limit to how much stuff we are able to hold onto (as far as I know at least).
The Artemis/Endo-Steel/Ferro Fibrous are in the 'UPGRADES' section in the mechlab when you click on 'customize' for your owned 'mech.
XL Engines take up x3 critical slots in your Left and Right Torso which makes you more vulnerable to getting taken out of battle for the benefit of reduced tonnage.
The Modules have to be unlocked/upgraded through the 'Skill' -> 'Pilot Tree' tab then purchased when customizing your 'mech through the Module section.

I'm still REALLY low on cash to try all this stuff (have arround 1.9Mil). The XL alone will cost me an arm and a leg to get and tbh, I don't even know where to find the Artemis thing :huh:
Also, doesn't the XL take more space then STD?? Don't hurt me.... still a newb :)

This brings me to another subject; Why are some items Blocked (the 4x magnifying thing for example)?

If you want to restart, you wouldn't be the first as many other Mechwarriors have done so because of unsatisfactory decisions that they made somewhere down the line. Nobody will (nobody should at least) judge you for making such a decision as it's your account and yours alone. Either way I hope everything works out for you and if you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'm a firm believer in that "The only dumb question is one never asked."

I'm seriously thinking about retarting and being a bit smarter with my money. It'l take far less time completing the 25 starting games then earning enough money now to do whatever with the mech I got.

What do you think??

#38 HimseIf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Visekorporal
  • 270 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 20 November 2014 - 06:28 PM

i played a C4 cat with one LRM20 3 SRM6 and 2 medium pulse. It was a killer, so when you get your aim and skills up a bit you might want to try something of that flavour. It's more of a brawler than LRM support but it really can brawl.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users