Revisiting The Old Maps: What's First?

3 replies to this topic

Poll: What problems do you want to be checked over on the old maps? (27 member(s) have cast votes)

What specific problems in-game do you want to be checked over on the old maps?

1. Making use of all areas of the map (Accessibility) (18 votes [14.88%])

Percentage of vote: 14.88%

2. Cosmetics, new textures, Refining (4 votes [3.31%])

Percentage of vote: 3.31%

3. Random events (6 votes [4.96%])

Percentage of vote: 4.96%

4. Destructible objects(probably starting with buildings) (17 votes [14.05%])

Percentage of vote: 14.05%

5. More setting scenarios (Time of day for more maps besides River City/Frozen City, Weather)(Make some use of that night vision/thermal!) (13 votes [10.74%])

Percentage of vote: 10.74%

6. More spawn locations (9 votes [7.44%])

Percentage of vote: 7.44%

7. Randomized count of/ More/ Less capture points(Conquest) (6 votes [4.96%])

8. Bigger versions of small maps, specifically; extended borders (18 votes [14.88%])

Percentage of vote: 14.88%

9. Time in-game (ex . Through course of match the skybox changes from evening-> night: utilizes night vision) (6 votes [4.96%])

10. The Turrets man! (4 votes [3.31%])

Percentage of vote: 3.31%

11. Repair/Rearm stations for the near future (8 votes [6.61%])

Percentage of vote: 6.61%

12. Completely remodelled versions of old maps( ex. Forest Colony... 10km away(more forested))(Give sense that a map can have an inland ground invasion secenario or a defensive mobilization scenario on the map/planet)(Ex. River City: Port/In-land) (9 votes [7.44%])

Percentage of vote: 7.44%

13. Making use of all areas of maps(Short range fights and long range engagements) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

14. FIX EXISTING BUGS(Hitboxes, FPS, getting stuck in the map glitchs. ex) (1 votes [0.83%])

Percentage of vote: 0.83%

15. 8v8, 4v4 8v8v8(I've heard) on specific maps(Small maps would use a lower player count like 4v4/8v8 system) (1 votes [0.83%])

16. More cover (1 votes [0.83%])

Which map's need the most refining?

1. FOREST COLONY(Normal and Snow) (1 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

2. FROZEN CITY(Day and Night) (1 votes [11.11%])

3. CAUSTIC VALLEY (2 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

4. RIVER CITY(Day and Night) (1 votes [11.11%])

5. ALPINE PEAKS (0 votes [0.00%])

6. TOURMALINE DESERT (0 votes [0.00%])

7. CANYON NETWORK (0 votes [0.00%])

8. TERRA THERMA (3 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

9. CRIMSON STRAIT (0 votes [0.00%])

10. HPG (0 votes [0.00%])

11. THE MINING COLLECTIVE (0 votes [0.00%])

12. THE VIRIDIAN BOG (1 votes [11.11%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Zephonarch II

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 328 posts
  • LocationBack in the MWO and... its fun, but Nascar steamrolls still lame.

Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:39 AM

In the latest dev-vlog, there was mention of revisitng and refining old maps after the Viridian Bog map was released. As of then, PGI apparently has gained more insight into what can be utilized with the Crysis engine they're using. Well if the old maps are going to be visited, I thought a poll highlighting just what concepts we want most to be revisited and fixed would be a good meter for the devs in the near future.

NOTE: It's MULTIPLE-CHOICE SO CHECK ALL THAT APPLY TO YOU! (but adhere to Note 2's specified goal)

NOTE 2: This is supposed to be a measure of what the community wants to be revisited concerning SHORT-TERM GOALS... firstly. So please be adamant in your choices and don't spam yes to everything. What's your first priority when worrying about the old maps? Think about it.

The polls have been updated, so feel free to re-submit your choices! ;)
NOTE 3: I've added the bug fix poll option to accomodate for what was missing. Funny thing, in Viridian Bog, you can Jump jet onto the trees. ... Right, that's where MWO is going.

NOTE 3: I've differentiated what specifically making use of all areas of the map option into 2 sub-categories. 1: For the reason of making the map more accesible. and 2. Enabling a better balance between short range and long range combat

NOTE 4: Map specific palyer-counts were added; 8v8 or 4v4 for small maps would be request

NOTE 5: Removing the River City statues : CHECK

NOTE 6: I've added a 2nd poll listing every map. It's also multiple-choice

Edited by Zephonarch II, 20 February 2015 - 12:44 PM.

#2 xeromynd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 21 November 2014 - 12:34 PM

Sometimes when poll has so many choices, a poll isn't really necessary, I doubt you'll cover what everyone wants to see done to the existing maps.
  • RESIZING - Terra Therma - New geometry or objects to make the map slightly smaller. Instead of removing some of the edges of the map like most people want, I think the entire outer pathways of the map should be flooded with lava (still able to walk on it though). This would still allow a quick escape/flank route when necessary at the expense of your mechs heat, but you obviously wouldn't be able to stand on these rivers for long, lest ye damage ye legs.
  • ADDITIONAL VARIANT - Terra Therma - New variant of the map where the center pit is much hotter than the rest of the map. Halfway between standing-in-lava-temps and normal ambient map temps. Should be ash raining down in and around the center, lava level of the center is slightly raised. This would encourage some play other than rushing into the pugzapper.
  • FIXING HITBOXES - HPG Manifold - A complete pass on all map hitboxes and invisible wall issues. - This is sorely needed, and desired by many players
  • ADDITIONAL VARIANT - Crimson Straits - Tremor variant, where the ground shakes in some places at random intervals. Also make it dusk. The map would look beautiful then, and it'll give it a different feel than the normal variant.
  • ADDITIONAL VARIANT - Caustic Valley - Acid Rain variant. Come on, this map just screams acid doesn't it? Acid rain over the whole map that produces a quiet sizzling noise when it hits your mech. Water level (acid water now) should be raised on the map. This acid water would very slowly eat away at whatever components are submerged in it. Note that i said very slowly, it's not like you'd step in and die. The top caldera should be filled with acid water. This makes flanking across the top (in a typical merry-go-round-type match a bit more hectic and costlier, but with the advantage that slow movers likely wont come into the middle because of the acid damage.
  • ADDITIONAL VARIANT - Alpin Peaks Blizzard variant. This would essentially be the same type of climate as Frozen City Snow, but slightly less dense. Certain areas would be harder to see in. I can't think of an idea to do so, but something climate-ish that limits the ability to walk on the higher peaks would be awesome. The weather impairing visibility in places would give the map something different that the usual snipe/lrmfest. Or alternatively, retexture the map so that everything is Thawed, and it's a grassy map.
  • BUGFIX - Crimson Straits - Fix whatever rendering distance bug it is that makes mechs in the tunnel appear invisible when you're above a certain distance from them.
  • GEOMETRY CHANGE- River City Night & RIver City - Please for the love of god, remove the little statues that are on the ground near the land side of the middle citadel.
That's all I can think of for now. Personally I'm more excited for all the little fixes and changes we'll no doubt have after the initial CW push is over.

#3 luxebo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:03 PM

Mining Collective: Stop the lag/fix the disconnects. Expand the area and heighten the amount of cover, as LRMs are just perfectly above most of the time.

Alpine Peaks: Remove mountains that are too damn high and instead add some covering structures. Change spawn points to be even.

Frozen City: Fix lag FPS issues.

River City: Expand and make it not suck for anything short range. Make it a real city. Or stick it with 4v4/8v8 modes only.

Viridian Bog: Make the trees actually block as in cover and stuff, as LRMs work so well on this map for a swamp. It's unreasonable. Plus make the little lilly pads have a use.

Crimson Straits: Add cover to the giant ocean of blood and also add cover to make more of a city map.

Caustic Valley: Less LRMs, whatever done make more cover against LRMs here.

There should be a balance in terms of cover. Some maps need so much more.

#4 Vanguard319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:23 PM

Definitely refine the hitboxes of structures in HPG Manifold. I've lost count of how many times I had LoS on a target, only to have my shots be blocked by an invisible wall. I would also suggest some optimization on mining collective, since it does have some frame rate issues. I would also second environmental conditions and partial cover that affect weapons (i.e. lasers in a humid climate suffering a reduction in damage or range due to blooming, or trees being able to absorb some of the kinetic energy of an Autocannon round, and likewise affecting it's damage.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users