Stupid Mech Tricks

tricks

104 replies to this topic

#81 Darth Futuza

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:55 PM

• Tag lasers can be used to scare enemies. If they think you have lrms they might even back off, despite the fact you have nothing but a scary laser pointer.
  • Lights: Jump jetting high into the air is often a very bad idea, it makes you a giant target and extremely easy to hit. This also applies when trying to escape, don't jump high enough to put you at the enemies cockpit level, then they don't even have to aim down to hit you.
  • Lights: Despite your lack of armor, you can also contribute to pushes, simply on a psychological level. Even though you might not do much damage, just seeing you going a direction will cause others to follow.
  • 1 Kill is almost never worth dying for. If sticking your neck out is likely to get you killed, without taking down more then 2 enemies, it is almost never worth it. Hang back and wait for a better situation.
  • Lights: If you run into the enemy team, do not back peddle. It almost always gets you killed. Instead, turn sharply, apply jump jets, rapidly press r, and weave like a drunk at an inconsistent speed away from them.

#82 EmperorMyrf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 740 posts
  • LocationMinnesota, USA

Posted 03 March 2015 - 11:31 AM

-The X (0% throttle) key is your friend. While holding the throttle, tap the X key when going around turns. It allows you to slow down for the turn, make the turn, then speed back up without having to manually control your throttle the whole way through. On top of that, X will decelerate light mechs faster than holding S, since the rate at which the throttle increases/decreases is slower than light mechs accelerate/decelerate.

-This is a really dumb, limited use brawling trick, but you are able to throw your torsos to the sides while keeping your arms aimed at your target. While arm lock is off, throw your aim hard to the side and hit the free look key. Your torso's momentum will carry it off to the side which should help throw off your enemy's aim should they be trying to core you. Then hit Center Torso to Legs to bring it all back in. Of course this should be used exclusively on mechs with very wide arm angles, like hunchbacks and dragons, otherwise you'll also throw your arm aim with the torso

#83 zudukai

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:19 PM

View PostEmperorMyrf, on 03 March 2015 - 11:31 AM, said:

-The X (0% throttle) key is your friend. While holding the throttle, tap the X key when going around turns. It allows you to slow down for the turn, make the turn, then speed back up without having to manually control your throttle the whole way through. On top of that, X will decelerate light mechs faster than holding S, since the rate at which the throttle increases/decreases is slower than light mechs accelerate/decelerate.
at 60% throttle, you get the relatively best turning ability at speed, i would suggest having both this and full stop on keys you can use often. however you will always turn the best at full stop.

-This is a really dumb, limited use brawling trick, but you are able to throw your torsos to the sides while keeping your arms aimed at your target. While arm lock is off, throw your aim hard to the side and hit the free look key. Your torso's momentum will carry it off to the side which should help throw off your enemy's aim should they be trying to core you. Then hit Center Torso to Legs to bring it all back in. Of course this should be used exclusively on mechs with very wide arm angles, like hunchbacks and dragons, otherwise you'll also throw your arm aim with the torso
Can you use the center torso key to bring your CT back while holding down free look?

shooting your arms while defending your CT would be awesome, bringing your CT back in line to shoot again after, while still tracking your target, simply release the free look key, and you will return your CT, right?

#84 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:47 PM

View Postzudukai, on 03 March 2015 - 09:19 PM, said:

Can you use the center torso key to bring your CT back while holding down free look?

shooting your arms while defending your CT would be awesome, bringing your CT back in line to shoot again after, while still tracking your target, simply release the free look key, and you will return your CT, right?
Yup, as long as you have fully articulated arms, you can free-look-shoot at anything with your arm mounted weapons, then upon released the free-look button, your CT will center on the point where you were free-looking so you can shoot your torso mounted weapons, however it overshoots by a little bit.

And unfortunately, at least in my experience, it doesn't protect your CT as much as you think it would. I've been CT-cored on my WVR-6K while shooting with my arm at full extension, which is to say I had my CT facing as far away from my target while still being able to hit it - and they could still core me.

#85 zudukai

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 10:21 PM

View PostTarogato, on 03 March 2015 - 09:47 PM, said:

Yup,

ah, ok. then i would suggest steering while twisted to add a little more distance, otherwise this tactic may not work very well after all.

#86 ExoForce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 775 posts
  • LocationFields of the Nephilim

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:56 PM

In final moments of the battle, in tight close fight 1 on 1, I will shoot my last IS LRMs under 180m to my enemy.
Why? To hear angry spectators rage on me...

No. I do this because enemy will rethink his position even for a few miliseconds (micro advantage for me) and
main reason - I do not want to risk ammo explosion in last few seconds.

#87 Darth Futuza

• 1,239 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 02:58 PM

View Postzudukai, on 03 March 2015 - 09:19 PM, said:

at 60% throttle, you get the relatively best turning ability at speed, i would suggest having both this and full stop on keys you can use often. however you will always turn the best at full stop.

JumpJet Turn is best turn.

#88 zudukai

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:34 PM

View PostDarth Futuza, on 04 March 2015 - 02:58 PM, said:

JumpJet Turn is best turn.

it was... and still can be used, just not every time.

#89 MechWarrior3671771

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 05 March 2015 - 02:15 PM

Sniper pilots - all that time you are using to set up and spot your victim is time that you are not putting rounds down range. Snipers have their place, but the saddest thing I've spectated is the assault sniper who spends 1 min setting up the "perfect shot" while the rest of his team is getting pounded in a brawl. A full minute without 80+ ton on the battle line can swing most matches.

Clue: if your sniper mech is routinely the last man standing when your team loses

Do your thing, but remember that "swift" is the first part of "swift, silent, deadly".

#90 deadflight84

Rookie

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 03:46 AM

Mr Huge i agree with everything you said and the assholeish tone you used throughout. I dont feel the need to add something other than praise because my ego is fine just where it is.

#91 DarkonFullPower

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 191 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 04:31 PM

Don't know if this was posted already:

Everything that is not empty, Ferro Fibrous or Endo Steel is a valid crit-able slot. This includes your mech's articulators/gyro/ect, empty ammo and engine. They all have 10 hp each (even the half ton ammo), and effect nothing once destroyed, at least for now.

The above was confirmed in the "Paging Karl Berg" topic.

Edited by DarkonFullPower, 20 March 2015 - 04:35 PM.

#92 cranect

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 460 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 04:02 AM

I have noticed that when you are trying to sneak up on people with an ecm light it is sometimes a good idea to turn ecm off when you get close so that they don't know your there. I got 4 mechs LRMd to death because they didn't know how they were spotted and I could finish them if they got to cover.

Also if you have enough jumphets going up high isn't always bad. Most people will either miss you in the air or wait for you to land. In spiders with the max jjs you can start to go back up before hitting the ground and this throws a lot of people off. In the 5V you can stay out of a lot of peoples arcs in the sky while spotting everything. Also with the 5V even if you aren't going really high you can use the jjs for everything. Hitting the jump button rapidly while turning different directions randomly makes you a very difficult target.

#93 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 04:32 PM

1. You can see further with night vision and heat vision turned off than you can with either activated. Both night vision and heat vision limit long range vision.

2. If a mech runs into view and shoots you then runs back into cover before you can react. If you aim at the spot where you last saw them and wait awhile, sometimes they'll run right into your sights and you can blast them.

3. Clan SSRMs have an extremely long range and can successfully hit enemies from 360 to 390 meters out depending on quirks and module enhancers. That's almost as much range as an MRM, iirc.

4. Mech quirks are worth experimenting with. It is possible some quirks are overpowered and haven't been corrected yet. Get it while its hot.

#94 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 05:34 PM

>You can see further with night vision and heat vision turned off than you can with either activated. Both night vision and heat vision limit long range vision.

regardless, the heat vision on many maps gives the highest contrast and is worth using even when it's a day map, it allows you to easier see when the mech, which you hunt, is out of cover

>If a mech runs into view and shoots you then runs back into cover before you can react. If you aim at the spot where you last saw them and wait awhile, sometimes they'll run right into your sights and you can blast them.

that's why when you shoot enemy from the cover you should consider to peep each time from different directions, if it's possible

>Clan SSRMs have an extremely long range and can successfully hit enemies from 360 to 390 meters out depending on quirks and module enhancers. That's almost as much range as an MRM, iirc.

streakboats usually take cooldown module, not range one, also, that range it's the maximal distance which the missiles can travel, to reach a moving target streaks usually should travel a longer distance than the direct distance between two mechs, sometimes running in most of directions is a way to avoid the salvo when you are shot at the edge of the range

#95 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 07:10 AM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 05 June 2015 - 05:34 PM, said:

>You can see further with night vision and heat vision turned off than you can with either activated. Both night vision and heat vision limit long range vision.

regardless, the heat vision on many maps gives the highest contrast and is worth using even when it's a day map, it allows you to easier see when the mech, which you hunt, is out of cover

>If a mech runs into view and shoots you then runs back into cover before you can react. If you aim at the spot where you last saw them and wait awhile, sometimes they'll run right into your sights and you can blast them.

that's why when you shoot enemy from the cover you should consider to peep each time from different directions, if it's possible

>Clan SSRMs have an extremely long range and can successfully hit enemies from 360 to 390 meters out depending on quirks and module enhancers. That's almost as much range as an MRM, iirc.

streakboats usually take cooldown module, not range one, also, that range it's the maximal distance which the missiles can travel, to reach a moving target streaks usually should travel a longer distance than the direct distance between two mechs, sometimes running in most of directions is a way to avoid the salvo when you are shot at the edge of the range

u mad?

;)

#96 zudukai

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 10:56 AM

Bump

#97 EmperorMyrf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 740 posts
  • LocationMinnesota, USA

Posted 10 August 2015 - 06:14 AM

Not as much 'tricks' but:

- Keep convergence in mind when leading fast mechs for ballistic weapons. While leading a fast mech your weapons are focused on a point beyond where the fast mech you want to hit is, so the actual position of your weapons relative to your cockpit matters. If, while in a HBK-4G, you're trying to throw an AC/20 at a fast mover you should aim slightly to the left of where you intend to hit him. But if you are in a CN9-AH, you'll want to aim slightly higher and farther to the left to hit with the AC/20. It can be a lot to keep track of, but put enough games into a particular mech and its weapon positions feel natural.

- Also with aiming, pay attention to the rangefinder near your reticle when peeking over or around obstacles. A lot of objects in these maps have a hitbox that is slightly bigger than the visual object, and you can find where the edges of these hitboxes are with your rangefinder so that you're not dumping your shots into the object you're hiding behind. If you're not familiar, load up training grounds and look around the closer cave entrance to see what I mean, that's the worst offender I can think of.

#98 Speedy Plysitkos

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:35 AM

1) urbie and HPG. you can run under the ramps - huge trololo tactics.

2) arm lock - i play with lock on. Why ? because AC mounted in torsos, wont shoot your unlocked arms croshair. And IF i need to shoot under me, there is shift key for tempo.

#99 Chados

• 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 12 August 2015 - 02:15 PM

Catapults:

(1) The "/" key manually opens missile hatches. You get a 1/2 second advantage in launch time. Close them when in heavy contact, and get a partial armor bonus for your arms!

#100 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:35 PM

Survived a match and got a kill last night with the old playing dead trick on tourmaline desert. Got stuck in an alleyway and couldn't back up as a lance appeared in front of me overheated trying to escape and shut down. Got battered but somehow escaped. Ran round the corner backed up against a wall and shut down.

Enemy force pushed right past me and didn't notice straight into the friendly force. I powered up and got a shot or two in from behind before their team was wiped out with me getting the final kill with a lone lpl in my new timberwolf.

Edited by mad kat, 04 November 2015 - 11:38 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users