This Tournament Is Terrible

371 replies to this topic

#1 Glythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:10 PM

The reward is a nice carrot but the effect is just atrocious on how it makes everyone behave. Everyone is out for themselves because if they die they lose. You should have put 24 mechs in a pit and let them fight it out in a free for all if that is the type of game mentality you want to inspire.

Seriously.... it's nice that you're trying to bribe us to play (and judging by your numbers you are needing to bribe players with events to make them play). But please have some thought into what you are going to encourage other players to do as a result. I guarantee there is going to be some team killing because there is a guy who wants a kill and NEEDS to fire regardless of whom he hits.

You really should have just made this event win+4 assists+1 kill. That means you have to be a team player AND take some initiative to get the win. Really you should have gone the other way around and made some bonus for dying early. Why? Because it encourages people to be active by scouting and pushing around a corner.

All the free crap you can imagine is not worth playing an extremely frustrating game. By the way that's how a lot of people have felt about MWO for a very long time without events adding extra shadenfreude.

If you want the reward to be harder to get then make it 40 matches or 60 matches. Don't make the "victory condition" be a complete pain in the arse.

Edited by Glythe, 21 November 2014 - 01:11 PM.

#2 cSand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:15 PM

View PostGlythe, on 21 November 2014 - 01:10 PM, said:

(and judging by your numbers you are needing to bribe players with events to make them play).

which of course you have access to!

I for one love the tourneys cause it's easy pickins with all the ****** running around
You can make some crazy plays pay off too. Also things get real scrappy which I also love.

Quit whining and put your big boy pants on is basically is what I'm saying here

#3 VtTimber

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:22 PM

Its Glythe, he complains... not surprising... Lots of people here who don't seem to enjoy playing the game yet continue to do so and post loudly about how bad it is... seriously.

The tournament is fine, it is along the same vein as most other tournaments. The only thing I wish would change is that they start introducing some week long tournaments as it is difficult for me to put any time into the game over the weekend.

Edited by VtTimber, 21 November 2014 - 01:22 PM.

#4 Tastian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 768 posts
  • LocationLayton, UT USA

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:22 PM

Bad time to try to level the Mist Lynx :)

#5 Bulvar Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 164 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:24 PM

I do question the way in which this tournament was picked (paper in a hat, and pull out the challenge) asking players to play towards something over a weekend (which effectively destroys your playing, as it is either LRMageddon, or kill/assist one kill and hide, hoping your team wins) I would prefer you just either Do NOT bother or just have me get above 130 points every challenge from now on.

these challenges do nothing to enhance gameplay what so ever.

#6 Bongo TauKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 559 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationPain, Inner Perpihery, Lyran Commonwealth.

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:26 PM

I just don't understand why they made it so hard to accomplish. They gave away that Phoenix Thunderbolt for a paltry 5 wins before.

#7 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:28 PM

I don't understand the reasoning behind making it harder...

#8 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:28 PM

Quit your crying and hop in your best LURM hunter.

Seriously, go hunt some lurm boats. Teams with nothing but lurm boats get rolled hard. You could be the one doing the rolling!

#9 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:30 PM

I admit - my time to play lately is very, very limited. It's normally on the weekends now. However playing during challenges is NOT fun - it's a chore. It's a grind with everyone playing like jackasses. I can put up with that periodically but almost every weekend has resulted in me just... not playing. Just tired of playing with/around LRMs and indirect fire. Not that I can't avoid it, not that I don't use cover just fine, not that I haven't put AMS on everything again. Not that I don't watch for and stick with ECM mechs when I'm lucky enough to drop on a team with one who stays with the team.

Just not fun. Maybe CW will change that or the like and I'll play then. For now though the grind in tournaments just highlights that this game isn't about quality; it's about quantity. You 'win' by playing the odds, not playing to win. Winning consistently is about squeezing out that 5% advantage from just the right build (or running LRMs in pug queue), not by just overall getting better at the game.

Meh. Just.... meh.

#10 Quxudica

• Little Helper
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:34 PM

View PostGlythe, on 21 November 2014 - 01:10 PM, said:

The reward is a nice carrot but the effect is just atrocious on how it makes everyone behave. Everyone is out for themselves because if they die they lose. You should have put 24 mechs in a pit and let them fight it out in a free for all if that is the type of game mentality you want to inspire.

Seriously.... it's nice that you're trying to bribe us to play (and judging by your numbers you are needing to bribe players with events to make them play). But please have some thought into what you are going to encourage other players to do as a result. I guarantee there is going to be some team killing because there is a guy who wants a kill and NEEDS to fire regardless of whom he hits.

You really should have just made this event win+4 assists+1 kill. That means you have to be a team player AND take some initiative to get the win. Really you should have gone the other way around and made some bonus for dying early. Why? Because it encourages people to be active by scouting and pushing around a corner.

All the free crap you can imagine is not worth playing an extremely frustrating game. By the way that's how a lot of people have felt about MWO for a very long time without events adding extra shadenfreude.

If you want the reward to be harder to get then make it 40 matches or 60 matches. Don't make the "victory condition" be a complete pain in the arse.

It's the survival requirement, it was idiotic to include that and the results should have been predictable. I just got 3 kills, 9 assists and 800 damage in a jaeger but it doesn't qualify because I didn't cower in a corner after I got my first kill. Really really stupid.

Edited by Quxudica, 21 November 2014 - 01:35 PM.

#11 Project_Mercy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 430 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:34 PM

Play in group queue. Solo queue has always been about timid mice closing their eyes and lobbing bombs and hoping in the end they open their eyes and the other team has been destroyed. The tourney doesn't really change that in either direction.

Edited by Wraeththix Constantine, 21 November 2014 - 01:35 PM.

#12 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:38 PM

Oh I guess I missed the survive part. Yeah that is going to make this tourney hard. I was originally just thinking, 1 Kill, 1 Assist and win...sure should probably take about 30-40 matches no problem. But doing that and surviving ups the requirement to probably more like 100 matches which I am not going to have time to complete.

Not to mention like you said, this is going to encourage alot of jackass play as people start becoming very timid right after they get their 1 assist and 1 kill.

So yeah look like we are in for another painful tourney.

You know why can't be bring back something fun like the Halloween Tourney? I think that is the ONLY tourney weekend I ever really enjoyed.

#13 Cygone

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 454 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:40 PM

Hard?

You cant be serious!

I just cant understand why people complain about FREE stuff.

#14 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:41 PM

View PostVoivode, on 21 November 2014 - 01:28 PM, said:

Quit your crying and hop in your best LURM hunter.

:( I dont have one!! Where is a DDC when you need it!!!

#15 Quxudica

• Little Helper
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:43 PM

View PostCygone, on 21 November 2014 - 01:40 PM, said:

Hard?

You cant be serious!

I just cant understand why people complain about FREE stuff.

Giving out rewards for an event does not exempt said event from criticism.

#16 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:45 PM

I've had a string of zero point newbs attached to my hip. Stop giving me losses PGI.

#17 Riverboat Sam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 209 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:45 PM

Edited by Riverboat Sam, 21 November 2014 - 01:46 PM.

#18 RG Notch

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:46 PM

View PostcSand, on 21 November 2014 - 01:15 PM, said:

which of course you have access to!

I for one love the tourneys cause it's easy pickins with all the rtards running around
You can make some crazy plays pay off too. Also things get real scrappy which I also love.

Quit whining and put your big boy pants on is basically is what I'm saying here

Well he can just check the player counter...oh they removed that.... :ph34r:

#19 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:48 PM

One issue I see is that the current ingame rewards murder balls yet that play style has minimal defenses against LRMs other than AMS and ECM.

Flanking and lance flanking severely counters LRM boats but you dont get any cbills unless you stay in a lance.

#20 BlueVisionWarrior Online

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 107 posts
  • Locationmaking clicking noises behind you

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:49 PM

Challenge, not a tournament...

jus'sayin'

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users