Are you Warden or Crusader?

107 replies to this topic

#41 James Pryde IIC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:30 AM

View PostJAMESPRYDE, on 28 June 2012 - 02:29 AM, said:

OOC I am kind of in the middle leaning towards Crusader, but I treat the lower castes with thanks, as without the unity of the castes the Clan will not work healthy, (The Remembrance, Kerensky's Great Five)

but also reading "Wars of Reaving" and the "Bastion" doctrine developing, I can say I like elements of that.

Also integration is another bag of worms all together, but one the (IS) Clans must face, and make work for the best of the Clan, like Ghost Bear

although, given MWO timeline setting, pre invasion, on here, I am more closer to Crusader

#42 Cyber Carns

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 203 posts
  • LocationArc Royal

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:09 AM

View PostTaymorr, on 27 June 2012 - 03:12 PM, said:

I was a Warden because I believed that the Spheriods would learn honor and restore the Star League but now I fear they're too barbaric and will need to learn under Clan Wolf's tutalidge. Terra must be saved and protected by any means necessary.

We are Clan Wolf. Children of Kerensk.

We carry the honor of his name on our shoulders as our fathers did before him.

The remembrance, speaks to us of the evil in man's will, of the reasons for exodus, and the rights of the traveler.

Arcadia, is our destiny and our right. Enlightenment is our gift.

By the blood names of our founders we must return, and protect that which is unique among the stars.

Terra awaits us as it was written.

We are the last of the Wardens, the sole hope for the Earth.

And:

This verse has ended.

Our destiny is sealed to a once unthinkable fate.

We have found new allies in an ancient foe and enemies in our siblings.

The honor of the Warden way, like a pyre in the blackness of space has guided us to our home on Terra.

Kerensky foretold us of this Eden with promise of deliverance.

We will defend it to our deaths.

Let the next verse begin.

Edited by Cyber Carns, 28 June 2012 - 04:20 AM.

#43 Stormwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:11 AM

View PostCyber Carns, on 28 June 2012 - 04:09 AM, said:

This verse has ended.
Our destiny is sealed to a once unthinkable fate.
We have found new allies in an ancient foe and enemies in our siblings.
The honor of the Warden way, like a pyre in the blackness of space has guided us to our home on Terra.
Kerensky foretold us of this Eden with promise of deliverance.
We will defend it to our deaths.
Let the next verse begin.

The best ending ever :)

#44 Cyber Carns

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 203 posts
  • LocationArc Royal

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:21 AM

View PostStormwolf, on 28 June 2012 - 04:11 AM, said:

The best ending ever :)

yeah:

#45 James Pryde IIC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:58 AM

you are tainted

#46 Jaroth Corbett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationSmoke Jaguar OZ

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:44 AM

View PostWolftrap, on 28 June 2012 - 02:42 AM, said:

Warden faction all the way we must restore the Star League by smashing the Inner Sphere nations that get in our way....that way of thinking takes some real....guts.

That would make you a Crusader actually. :D

#47 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:01 AM

Crusader!
I was never a fan of the warden theory.

#48 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:16 AM

Jaroth: I'm pretty sure he was being critical. As in, using "guts" to mean "audacity."

View PostPetroff Northrup, on 26 June 2012 - 09:19 PM, said:

If you have a member of a sibko which believes something incorrectly do you purge it? Do you completely remove it from existence or do you attempt to reeducate it , make sure it learns the proper way and if failing that send it to a lower caste? The spheroids leaders must be punished but almost all of them are little more than sheep at this point, we will take these sheep and become their shepherds, some may wish to fight against the truth of the clans but you do not decimate the herd for the wrongs of a few, if necessary some are culled to keep the flock safe but you Crusaders use violence as a threat, a promise, a constant part of their lives when they are largely simple laborers, not warriors. Death will happen, this is inevitable with such a drastic change but it must be simple. clean, and a consequence used only on those responsible in a measured amount. Give most of the people the illusion of freedoms they want and they will fall in line willingly, to them nothing will change but the flags over their capitols.

If you promise death, rain fire down then it will harden the hearts of every man capable of holding a rifle while if we do not waste live, take measured steps to help the conquered spheroids then they will in time welcome us and the utopia we bring to them with the return of the Star League. For it is both our duty and our destiny to bring about the Star league once more but if in the process of doing so we destroy all the Star league once stood for then the point is wasted and as clanners nothing can be wasted.

There are several areas in which your misplaced hopefulness betrays you, Petroff.

First: A Spheroid is not a sibkin. They are not our children. Both we and they came from the same stock, at some point. But time has shown us who carries the true legacy of humanity on its shoulders. The Exodus was a watershed, a culling that distanced those who will ascend to the heights of glory from those who would root in their own waste for the mere thrill of experience. Why do you think we have developed such a focus on genetic legacy? I know you are well aware of the logic behind it, but this is not what I ask. I ask you, why do you think that line of logic commenced in the first place? Because innately we knew that there were only two kinds of people, come the Exodus. Those who joined Kerensky, and those who did not. Like breeds like, and those who did not join him due to their own selfish pride, bred selfish children. Who breed selfish children of their own. And without the presence of those noble warriors who would sacrifice even themselves to preserve virtue, those who left with Kerensky, their selfishness was allowed to run unimpeded. All goodness had left the Inner Sphere, and there was no check on the misanthropy that followed.

We must go back for this reason. We need to. The Spheroids will destroy themselves if we do not. By invading them, we can save them. Isolating ourselves will do nothing but allow us to pat ourselves on the back for not letting ourselves be touched by their deviant ways. But as we do so, we run the risk of failing to notice their slow expansionism towards our own worlds, until it is too late, much as a frog can be made to not notice his own being boiled alive. I assure you, when we enter their realms, the Spheroids will pay no mind to our words of honor, restraint, and purity. These concepts are as a foreign language to them. The only language they now understand is that of destruction. And they must be made to understand The Way.

Second: A Spheroid is not miseducated. They have all the same mental capabilities we do. They have shown, time and time and TIME AND TIME again, throughout their entire history, from before the Exodus all the way through to this very day, what their beliefs and ways are. What they hold to be desirable. Our cultures can not be brought together without our own culture losing its purity in droves. This is the very nature of purity. There is no such thing as "somewhat pure." Once contamination occurs, it is definite. Both Wardens and Crusaders understand this, but the difference is that Wardens somehow believe that we can avoid contamination by refusal to engage. Starry-eyed nonsense. The Sphere will reach us. It is inevitable. Unless we reach it first. The only difference between a Warden and a Crusader is that the former allows fate to control it. The latter forges its own fate.

The desire to invade the Sphere and educate it in "peaceful" ways strikes me as a Crusader mentality, Petroff. A Warden does not want to influence the Sphere. A Warden does not want to touch, or in fact even imagine to be existent, the Inner Sphere. But let us set that aside for now. Let us say we go to the Inner Sphere, and attempt to re-educate them according to your terms. And let us even say that, unlike my previous assertion, they are even willing to listen. What makes you think that we would not listen to them in turn? Discussion is never, EVER one-sided. This is simply not possible. Educating them with words means mingling our words with their own. Our thoughts with their own. And those thoughts, those ideas, will influence us. No matter how pure we may be. Purity and virtue are absolutely not self-sustaining phenomena. This is why they are so precious - they require immense amounts of dedication to maintain. It is not in their nature to remain untouched. Even the physical universe itself verifies this, via the phenomenon of entropy. It is the nature of corruption to encroach on all things. It does not require an originating source. It does not require a mastermind directing its path. It encroaches, of its own accord, directionless, leaderless, and endlessly. And so will it be if we intermingle with the Spheroids. This is why the language of war is preferable to the language of thought, in our trade of philosophies with the Sphere. Here, we can choose to accept what we "learn" from them -tactics, weaponry, what have you- or choose to reject it if it does not suit our current ways. With words and ideas, the influence occurs as soon as the encounter itself does. Battle provides a buffer zone, a sort of gate to which our own ideals are the keymaster. And unless we so decree, no freebirth corruption shall enter.

Third, if your sibkin believes something that is in conflict with Kerensky's ideals, and he cannot be learned, he should most certainly not be removed to a lower caste. Where he can influence his castmates with his vile thoughts. And result in inner conflict for the Clan. He should be banished. An outcast. A Clan has no room for error. Our survival depended, for a very long time, on being able to barely scrape by with whatever few meager resources we were able to scrounge up from the unforgiving realms we inhabited. The presence of even one person who threatened the delicate balance would have been unacceptable. Even today, we do not share the luxury the Inner Sphere enjoys. Our ways were forged via trial by fire, and there is good reason for all of them. The ways of the Spheroids were determined by having more wealth than they knew what to do with, and like most rabid beasts, they could not bear to see beauty without suffering an incommensurate urge to violate and destroy it. And because they had such wealth in the first place, they enjoyed all the more ability to wreak so much havoc... We WILL enter the Inner Sphere. We will do so with our arms blazing. And we will watch them cower before us, accepting the error of their ways, as evidenced by the weakness of their culture. Or we will watch them die. The choice is theirs, but The Way is set.

As a final point. We cannot destroy all that the Star League once stood for. I do not mean that I agree with you, in saying that we must not do so - although this is certainly true, it goes without saying. What I mean, is that it is simply not possible for us to destroy it. We are not capable. Even if we wipe out every piece of scum occupying Terra, and the rest of the Sphere, we still would not have destroyed all that the Star League once stood for. We would have destroyed all that betrayed the Star League in the first place. Our own legacy already carries the values of the Star League with it. We are not the League, yet, but we are its inheritors. We will bring the League anew, this has already been determined. It will be so. The only thing the freebirth Spheroids get to decide is whether they will respect the reborn Star League, or oppose it.

Edited by Bloodweaver, 28 June 2012 - 10:21 AM.

#49 MacabreDerek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationManitoba

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:54 PM

I'd have to say if I were Clan (Ex. Steel Viper), I'd have to say Warden just on general principle. While I can understand the want of conquest, it's just not in my nature to be a crusader. That, and if we're going to play with the pretense of a make believe honour system, I'd much rather play with the pretense of a make believe honour and nobility of being the stalwart defender.

#50 Chunkymonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 657 posts
  • LocationReady to make war on Romano Liao for the true chancellor, Candace Allard-Liao

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:12 PM

If i was a clanner, i would be a ghost bear so warden.

Course St. Ives wasnt invaded by the clans.

#51 Rorik Thrumsalr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:26 PM

I am an adherant to the Warden philosophy, though I would imagine myself as being one before the Bears relocation to the inner sphere.

#52 Slapshot

• PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:37 PM

I am a die hard WARDEN.

I have many reasons for this, but one of my favorites is that if we had stayed out of I.S affairs to begin with their ways would have never infiltrated us and disrupted clan society like it did.

We are enlightened, but we lost a big part of what made us who we are after the invasion.

#53 Thoman Coston

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 225 posts
  • LocationClan Occupation zone

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:28 PM

View PostSlapshot, on 28 June 2012 - 03:37 PM, said:

I am a die hard WARDEN.

I have many reasons for this, but one of my favorites is that if we had stayed out of I.S affairs to begin with their ways would have never infiltrated us and disrupted clan society like it did.

We are enlightened, but we lost a big part of what made us who we are after the invasion.

Good point.
The invasion was too soon. Not all crusader Clans supported it either. Clan Star Adder, although a crusader Clan , their wise Khan Cassius N'Buta warned against it. Invasion yes, but not that early, due to the immense logistics. The other crusaders were simply reckless and over confident.

#54 CCC Dober

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:10 AM

View PostTaigen, on 28 June 2012 - 06:28 PM, said:

Good point.
The invasion was too soon. Not all crusader Clans supported it either. Clan Star Adder, although a crusader Clan , their wise Khan Cassius N'Buta warned against it. Invasion yes, but not that early, due to the immense logistics. The other crusaders were simply reckless and over confident.

The timing and Comstar's interference are no coincidence. As for timing: the Inner Sphere was doing pretty good after the recovery of the Helm memory core, thanks to the valiant efforts of a certain Mr.Carlyle. Technology and knowledge spread again, without the 'guiding hand' of Comstar. There are plenty of references detailing their 'exploits' in matters of faith, technology and fanaticism. As for Comstar interference, I don't believe for one second that one of their Jumpships discovered Clan Space by accident and definitely not at that time when it suited them most. Add the fact that the personal aboard was 'supposedly' executed after being interrogated, but without any evidence and the Crusaders, all of a sudden, were more than eager to plow through the Inner Sphere. And wasn't it Kerenky that foretold the coming of a sign that the Inner Sphere would need them eventually? How would he know that when there was no active link to the Inner Sphere? In short: the whole exodus had more than just one motivation and I suspect that Comstar was one of the driving and manipulating forces behind it, possibly never losing touch with the Clans in the first place. It is rather fortunate that both Ulric Kerensky and Anastasius Focht were able to spare the Inner Sphere another age of mass destruction and a rapid decline in technology.

#55 Slapshot

• PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:46 AM

View PostCCC Dober, on 29 June 2012 - 02:10 AM, said:

The timing and Comstar's interference are no coincidence. As for timing: the Inner Sphere was doing pretty good after the recovery of the Helm memory core, thanks to the valiant efforts of a certain Mr.Carlyle. Technology and knowledge spread again, without the 'guiding hand' of Comstar. There are plenty of references detailing their 'exploits' in matters of faith, technology and fanaticism. As for Comstar interference, I don't believe for one second that one of their Jumpships discovered Clan Space by accident and definitely not at that time when it suited them most. Add the fact that the personal aboard was 'supposedly' executed after being interrogated, but without any evidence and the Crusaders, all of a sudden, were more than eager to plow through the Inner Sphere. And wasn't it Kerenky that foretold the coming of a sign that the Inner Sphere would need them eventually? How would he know that when there was no active link to the Inner Sphere? In short: the whole exodus had more than just one motivation and I suspect that Comstar was one of the driving and manipulating forces behind it, possibly never losing touch with the Clans in the first place. It is rather fortunate that both Ulric Kerensky and Anastasius Focht were able to spare the Inner Sphere another age of mass destruction and a rapid decline in technology.

That is some interesting stuff to think about. I guess I just find it easier to view things as being of the black and white crusader/warden kind of way though.

#56 merged

• Pip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 11 posts
  • LocationCLE

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:19 AM

Warden Wolf/Bear

#57 Thanatos676

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 703 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:40 AM

If and when the clans are introduced to MWO you can bet my forum pic will be Clan Ghost Bear symbol, the best Wardens out there.

Other then that, House Davion is the best the IS has to offer.

#58 Cicatrix

• PipPip
  • The Cub
  • 41 posts
  • LocationAlshain

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:39 AM

I am a Warden, the way Ghost Bear did it, join an Inner Sphere House and protect them. The Clans left the Inner Sphere with all their technology and learned peace, only by returning and helping the Houses to see the light can Humans truly unite and bring back the Star League.

#59 Slapshot

• PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:07 PM

The Ghost Bear of this time period is as a whole crusader though.

The whole joining with the I.S thing is what I was talking about earlier, how the invasion actually paved the way for I.S culture to influence the clans. Something I never really liked.

Edited by Slapshot, 29 June 2012 - 12:09 PM.

#60 Thoman Coston

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 225 posts
  • LocationClan Occupation zone

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:17 AM

View PostCicatrix, on 29 June 2012 - 11:39 AM, said:

I am a Warden, the way Ghost Bear did it, join an Inner Sphere House and protect them. <snip>

Clan Ghost Bear did not join an IS house, they only consolidated their conquered space by moving their entire Clan into their occupation zone and renamed their occupation zone into Ghost Bear Dominion. A good move on their part, considering it has been a logistical nightmare for all invading Clans to keep their occupation zones well supplied. They still remained loyal to the Clans and still keep their seat in the Grand Council.

The Clan that betrayed the Clans and joined IS was Clan Nova Cat, not Ghost Bear. Even the Nova Cat's move was a controversial one, since it was a one sided decision by their elderly Khans and not a Clan wide decision. The Khans did not even call for a vote by the bloodnamed warriors, but simply changed side overnight and died shortly after, leaving behind an abjured Clan in a shocked and chaotic condition.

@CCC Dober: Interesting theory, makes me think maybe the Nova cat Khan was also corrupted and a comstar double agent , just like Ulric Kerensky. Both Khans sabotaged their own Clans , ulric almost managed to destroy Clan Wolf on top of sabotaging the invasion while being ilkhan. Eventhough I dislike Vlad Ward's antics, at least he is a true Wolf, thanks to Vlad Ward, Clan Wolf was saved from destruction and could make a come back.
Ahh the fun of conspiracy theory :lol: :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users