40 replies to this topic

#1 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:35 PM

Here is some advice on those annoying 100 damage or less matches that happen. They happen. It's going to happen. The sooner you face this fact, the sooner you can face the realty of these games happening and stop worrying about it, from you or your teammates.

Now, the reality is this is a multi-player game. As such, it has players from everywhere, with various skill sets. This leads to everyone also wanting to "be the best". However, realize as well that, as with any game, there must be a winner, and a loser. Losing is NOT A BAD THING. It never really is. It's the nature of any sport/game. For every game, we have two (technically three if you consider a draw, but here it's probably considered as a dual loss) possible outcomes. There will be winning teams, and there will be losing teams. Realize you are going to be on each team at some point.

Understanding that, at some point people have to lose for others to win, can open up other concepts. Realizing this fact, and understanding it, is the first step to being a "good loser". This also opens the concept that, everyone will at some point have a bad game. Either through luck, teamwork, or position, everyone will occasionally have a game that leaves them wondering what just happened.

With all that out of the way, I'd like to now properly talk about those subpar, less than 100 damage matches. These matches for players, yourself included even, come down to many factors. Some can be avoided, others no so much. These factors were already mentioned before, but they boil down to:
  • Position. If you are out of position with your teammates, you can often find yourself rounding a corner, see the enemy team, and die very quickly. You may even be doing something vital to your team, being in the right spot. However, if your team doesn't back you up you can still find the "right spot" to be a quick death. (Example: Last match I was in my Battlemaster. I was in the right spot to help my team, but not necessarily in the right spot to deal "maximum damage" and kill stuff. I saw a bunch of enemies flanking our position, which would make many of my teammates into targets. I moved to intercept them and "give them a better target". I was doing the right thing for my team. However, my team did not support my actions quickly enough, and by the time I was near death a lone other mech came to help me. Sadly, too late. (Actually, he accidentally shot me trying to hit the enemy behind me as I was trying to rally back.) Even though I died, I prevented a sweep of enemies from getting behind my team, permitting my teammates time to (against my safety) relocate someplace else safe. (Which didn't involve saving me. It happens.)
  • Luck. This is the hardest factor to consider, as you don't want to just blame "bad luck" all the time. But, it is a factor. Sometimes, you just round that corner, first thing in the game, and find the enemy. Sadly for you and your mech, they found you as well... with their guns pointed at you. This often leads to a very quick death, with often low damage.
  • Teamwork. This one is harder in PUGland, which is often a teammates problem. Most players (no offense to anyone) will look out for themselves first and the rest of the team later. This leads to clumsy charges, failure to support allies behind them (such as LRM boats being attacked just behind their position), etc. I like to refer to a skill of "intuitive teamwork". Some teams get this, other teams don't. I often praise myself in having a decent degree of skill in this (which doesn't mean I'm perfect either). Try to always work with your team, and try to always fight the urge to "look out for #1". At the same time, you will have Rambo pilots whom can't be saved or helped. It's a tough call, but sometimes you really do have to let a teammate die (sacrifice them) for the better good of the team. However, if someone is brave enough to come out to support you when you are in trouble, I'd like to hint that maybe you should try to stick around and continue to help your teammate. After all, he did risk his neck to save your hide...
  • Situational awareness. This is a skill we all can work on. Observing your surroundings and your minimap. While spectating others, I often times see two mechs so close to each other, but neither one is helping the other. Why, last match I saw one mech engaged with an enemy on the minimap, and a ally mech was literally not even a triangle icon away but was still facing the opposite direction. Had that pilot been observing things around him, he may have been able to turn around and assist the other teammate stuck in a 1v1 match. You fight as a team, and you win or lose as a team. Overwhelming numbers is always a good thing. (Something on the lines of "There is no honor in war?" I don't know.)
  • Admittance. Just admit that it's going to happen. To you. To others. It's just going to happen. No reason to stress over it. No reason to get upset. Try your best to overcome it yourself. The only person you can control and be accounted for is yourself. And even then, you can't account for everything.

There are many more things, but basically I want to hit home that it's going to happen. Take it for what it is and just move on. Don't make fun of someone else for a low match game, as it will happen to you (if it hasn't already).

#2 ShadowbaneX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:42 PM

In a similar vein, those matches where the entire team gets rolled. Those happen too. Doesn't matter how hard you carry, everyone now and then you're going to get steamrolled 12 to 2. Bad games happen. Funny thing though, if you wait like 2 minutes, there'll be another one and that bad match will be forgotten.

Edited by ShadowbaneX, 21 November 2014 - 07:50 PM.

#3 MadLibrarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 334 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationYou Essay

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:20 PM

So much like. Thanks OP.

#4 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:34 PM

Basically, the sooner you realize and accept that it's going to happen to you, and to others, the better.

#5 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:50 PM

Had several of those matches tonight, actually. Group queue is brutal to two-man groups. Not very rookie friendly.

#6 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 09:07 PM

View PostTim East, on 21 November 2014 - 08:50 PM, said:

Had several of those matches tonight, actually. Group queue is brutal to two-man groups. Not very rookie friendly.

2 Mans are a brutal group size to run... But it happens to us all. (Of course, it happens to me far more often when I'm in a NARC Raven to help my lance... 3 damage baby! YEAH!)

#7 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 11:51 PM

Had a 22 damage game tonight... would have been higher but crappy hitreg lost two full alphas worth of damage. Died because I tripped over those bloody River City statues and was still hung up when the push stomped over me.

You'd think I'd know better than to even go near those things by now- situational awareness fail. Can't really blame anyone but myself for that one...

#8 3xnihilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 November 2014 - 05:39 AM

Thanks Tesunie! Those rounds can be frustrating for sure so it is a good reminder to let it go and when appropriate learn from your mistakes :)

#9 Aiden Skye

• Galaxy Commander II
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:16 AM

View PostShadowbaneX, on 21 November 2014 - 07:42 PM, said:

In a similar vein, those matches where the entire team gets rolled. Those happen too. Doesn't matter how hard you carry, everyone now and then you're going to get steamrolled 12 to 2. Bad games happen. Funny thing though, if you wait like 2 minutes, there'll be another one and that bad match will be forgotten.

Or in 2 minutes you get steamrolled again...and again...and again. All day long.

#10 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:24 AM

View PostW A R K H A N, on 23 November 2014 - 07:16 AM, said:

Or in 2 minutes you get steamrolled again...and again...and again. All day long.

I've had streaks like that...probably not all day long, but certainly times where no matter what I do the losses pile up. Still, calling the rest of the team useless never really seemed to help much.

#11 Lord Baldric

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationSlightly to the left of sanity

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:45 AM

View PostShadowbaneX, on 23 November 2014 - 08:24 AM, said:

I've had streaks like that...probably not all day long, but certainly times where no matter what I do the losses pile up. Still, calling the rest of the team useless never really seemed to help much.

Exactly. It also has the added downside of making people dread playing with you if they should randomly drop with you again further effecting performance. I would think people are more likely to help and play better when they are in a good mood. No one likes to be teamed with someone that rages and insults people over a game.

Always best to stick with "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

#12 Sonny Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 445 posts
  • LocationThe Motion Lounge

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:57 AM

100 Damage Or Less Matches

That would be me! :lol:

#13 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:17 PM

Just had a disappointing 0 damage match... Was too slow to reform with the group and was ditched by the light mechs I was supporting. It happens...

Edited by Tesunie, 05 December 2014 - 08:54 PM.

#14 loopala

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationDa UP of Mich

Posted 05 December 2014 - 09:04 PM

or you could start a thread with some of your best low damage game

http://mwomercs.com/...-lowest-damage/

i have had lots of sub 100 damage games since the role rewards came to be in a locust. just plain got better xp scouting and spotting then fighting.

stomps happen. even assaults have bad days. i have had my direwolf shot out from under me with very low damage do to a good spotter with lrm support. nothing gives an lrm boat a woody like a narced drw

some days you just have to walk away due to many just head shaking "how did that just happen???" games. but when the stars align and you get in a lance with 3 other dire wolves that are just as aggressive as you it is magic time. BTW that one time i was in a very aggressive 4 DRW lance we lost but for 5 glorious minutes it was the stuff of legends...

#15 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:19 AM

I think there is a difference between not despairing over a bad game and not holding yourself accountable for a bad game. Too often I will see people have a bad game and then immediately go on a tirade about his team, or the map.

If you get rushed in the beginning and die, your immediate reaction should be "what could I have done differently?". Instead what I generally see are people blaming their teammates for not supporting them.

Losses are not a bad thing IF you can take something away from it. If the only thing you take away from a loss is that "muh team was scrubs!" you're going to have a lot more of those sub-100 damage games in your future.

#16 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:55 AM

View PostJman5, on 07 December 2014 - 10:19 AM, said:

If the only thing you take away from a loss is that "muh team was scrubs!" you're going to have a lot more of those sub-100 damage games in your future.

In PUGs, nah. Recognising that there are bad players in abundance or as you put it "muh team was scrubs!", is not going to increase the frequency of putting in a weak performance yourself. Even the bads with dunning kruger won't be at any more of a handicap at the end of the round then they were at the begining.

In fact I could argue the opposite is true. If a player is actually decent, then recognising bad play in others could be tactically advantageous. ie, "muh team is scrubs, I better do x or y or we are ******"

#17 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 01:10 PM

View PostGhogiel, on 07 December 2014 - 10:55 AM, said:

In PUGs, nah. Recognising that there are bad players in abundance or as you put it "muh team was scrubs!", is not going to increase the frequency of putting in a weak performance yourself. Even the bads with dunning kruger won't be at any more of a handicap at the end of the round then they were at the begining.

In fact I could argue the opposite is true. If a player is actually decent, then recognising bad play in others could be tactically advantageous. ie, "muh team is scrubs, I better do x or y or we are ******"

I'm talking about people who die, then immediately blame their team for being bad. Or toward the end of the game they say in all chat how bad their team is. You will never get better if you always blame your losses on outside forces.

#18 whiskey tango foxtrot

• Survivor
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationWith the Wolfs

Posted 07 December 2014 - 01:43 PM

This feels like a 12 step program... :P

#19 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 December 2014 - 04:19 PM

View Postwhiskey tango foxtrot, on 07 December 2014 - 01:43 PM, said:

This feels like a 12 step program... :P

Hello, my name is 3xnihilo and I had a zero damage score in a CN9-AH last weekend...

#20 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 04:38 PM

I think only time I've ever ended up in < 100 is from lucky head shots or arty head shots.

I had one yesterday in a dire wolf, someone had a nice alpha perpendicular on the run head shot on me.

Edited by Bigbacon, 07 December 2014 - 04:39 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users