45 replies to this topic

#1 AWOL 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 347 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 November 2014 - 11:52 PM

I threw this together a while back to put in perspective how large (or small) some famous mechs are and I thought you guys would like it. Enjoy.

Posted Image

From left to right they are as follows: the AMP Suit from Avatar, the Armored Personnel Unit (APU) from the Matrix, the AT-AT and AT-ST from Star Wars, the Raider mech from Hawken, an M1A1 Abrams Tank, a Shadowhawk, a Blizzaia/Frost Wanzer from Front Mission 4, an Armored Core (AC) unit from the Armored Core franchise, an AC from Armored Core V, Metal Gear REX from Metal Gear Solid, the L5 Riesig from Battlefield 2142, and a Humvee. There is also an A-10 Thunderbolt II, AH-64 Apache, and C-17 Globemaster III. Personally, I think the AC would win in a free-for-all, but I'd like to see them all duke it out. :D

#2 StompingOnTanks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 22 November 2014 - 12:51 PM

This made my day. Thank you! :D

#3 AWOL 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 347 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 November 2014 - 06:16 AM

No problem! Do you have a favorite mech?

#4 StompingOnTanks

• Bad Company
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:11 AM

View PostAWOL 01, on 23 November 2014 - 06:16 AM, said:

No problem! Do you have a favorite mech?

Indeed I do, my friend, and it is the stuff of nightmares.

Posted Image

#5 AWOL 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 347 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 November 2014 - 01:08 PM

Is that... Nine Ball??? :blink:

Here's my favorite

Posted Image

The Gepard 9 from Front Mission 4. This thing was a beast to fight.

#6 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 01:10 PM

#7 StompingOnTanks

• Bad Company
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 23 November 2014 - 01:38 PM

View PostAWOL 01, on 23 November 2014 - 01:08 PM, said:

Is that... Nine Ball??? :blink:

Here's my favorite

Posted Image

The Gepard 9 from Front Mission 4. This thing was a beast to fight.

Nine Ball Seraph, Nineball's bigger, badder, tougher, faster, better-armed cousin that is the fear of every Armored Core player since Master of Arena on the PS1. Sadly it hasn't appeared in any of the recent games.

Also, I love Wanzers. I wish Front Mission Evolved hadn't sucked.

Edited by StompingOnTanks, 23 November 2014 - 01:39 PM.

#8 AWOL 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 347 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 November 2014 - 01:52 PM

Brody319,
The only thing I can say is "Oh Japan... why? Just why?" :P

View PostStompingOnTanks, on 23 November 2014 - 01:38 PM, said:

Nine Ball Seraph, Nineball's bigger, badder, tougher, faster, better-armed cousin that is the fear of every Armored Core player since Master of Arena on the PS1. Sadly it hasn't appeared in any of the recent games.

Those last few missions on Another Age were ridiculously hard too. The phrase "Target Verified - Commencing Hostilities" will forever strike fear in my heart.

I was pretty disappointed in Front Mission Evolved too. I got Front Mission 4 first and the only way that game could've been better would be if it had mulitplayer. I miss when games were awesome...

#9 StompingOnTanks

• Bad Company
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 23 November 2014 - 03:00 PM

What I like about Japanese mecha is that when they are actually serious about it (meaning NOT GOOFYBOT 900 THAT SHOOTS HEARTS OUT OF ITS ASS), they make really, really cool designs. "Realistic" mechs are good and all, but as long as suspension of disbelief isn't a problem for you, Japanese mecha take the cake when it comes to being badass every. Single. Time.

Come to think of it, that's what I like about Japanese media (especially anime) in general. They couldn't care less about realism as long as they're impressing the crowd with unique settings and over the top action sequences. I wish Western shows were more like that. I could never get into most American TV shows because compared to anime they just seem plain. (Battlestar Galatica, The 100, The Walking Dead and Supernatural are good though.)

Edited by StompingOnTanks, 23 November 2014 - 03:03 PM.

#10 AWOL 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 347 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 November 2014 - 03:22 PM

Sadly, suspension of disbelief is a big problem for me. Macross and Patlabor 2 are about as far as I've gone into Japanese-style mecha. Don't get me wrong, mechs like the ones in Pacific Rim are totally cool (e.g. having thrusters on elbows to perform rocket punches), but I just find the realistic ones more enjoyable. It kinda bums me out cause that limits me to about 10% of the cool mech stuff out there.

#11 StompingOnTanks

• Bad Company
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 23 November 2014 - 05:38 PM

You know what would be awesome is a true mech simulation game. I mean, the MechWarrior series comes really, really close, but I'd like to see a true, full-realism mech game with things like armor penetration simulation and individual systems and sub-systems taking damage. Kind of like a Cold War era tank simulator, but on legs.

#12 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:04 PM

View PostAWOL 01, on 23 November 2014 - 03:22 PM, said:

Sadly, suspension of disbelief is a big problem for me. Macross and Patlabor 2 are about as far as I've gone into Japanese-style mecha. Don't get me wrong, mechs like the ones in Pacific Rim are totally cool (e.g. having thrusters on elbows to perform rocket punches), but I just find the realistic ones more enjoyable. It kinda bums me out cause that limits me to about 10% of the cool mech stuff out there.

Gurren Lagann is so over the top its almost a parody of mech animes. I hear gundam tries really hard to keep itself realistic and there are a bunch of different gundam animes.

#13 AWOL 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 347 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:06 PM

That is exactly what I want. Like War Thunder but with mechs. I was watching a video on this new game with modern tanks and all I could think about was how awesome it would be if they added mechs. It'd be cool to see how they fare in battle against other armored vehicles.

#14 StompingOnTanks

• Bad Company
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:16 PM

View PostAWOL 01, on 23 November 2014 - 07:06 PM, said:

That is exactly what I want. Like War Thunder but with mechs. I was watching a video on this new game with modern tanks and all I could think about was how awesome it would be if they added mechs. It'd be cool to see how they fare in battle against other armored vehicles.

You play War Thunder? So do I! :D What's your favorite nation?

#15 AWOL 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 347 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:29 PM

I haven't played very much lately but I like the German tanks and the US aircraft :) when I was younger I wanted to be a pilot when I grew up so flight sims were my life for a while, and I pretty much memorized every military aircraft ever created :P which one's your favorite?

#16 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:13 PM

View PostStompingOnTanks, on 23 November 2014 - 07:16 PM, said:

You play War Thunder? So do I! :D What's your favorite nation?

View PostAWOL 01, on 23 November 2014 - 07:29 PM, said:

I haven't played very much lately but I like the German tanks and the US aircraft :) when I was younger I wanted to be a pilot when I grew up so flight sims were my life for a while, and I pretty much memorized every military aircraft ever created :P which one's your favorite?

Have you guys head of Aces High? Its probably one of the most realistic WW1/2 era games I've played. http://www.hitechcreations.com/

The maps are ******* huge, like driving a tank from one base to another can take like an hour.

#17 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 24 November 2014 - 12:47 AM

View PostAWOL 01, on 23 November 2014 - 03:22 PM, said:

Mecha are divided into 2 basic trope; Real Type and Super Type.
It was coined by the turn based strategy game Super Robot War.

Real Type are relatively more grounded in real science and physics.
Super Type are only bound by the Law of Cool.

View PostBrody319, on 23 November 2014 - 07:04 PM, said:

Gurren Lagann is so over the top its almost a parody of mech animes. I hear gundam tries really hard to keep itself realistic and there are a bunch of different gundam animes.

Gundam stopped being realistic since Gundam Wing, you will have better luck with the older series like the 08th MS Team.
In 08th, Gundam's joints can get clog by sand, have supply problem, need intel support from command centre, slow down when enter deep water, gets destroy by tank shell.
A time when Zakus were common and feared by the federation.

For the best parody of Super Type, look for GaoGaiGar.
It have almost every cliché robot; transformer, combiner, cyborg, chick robot, car robot, animal robot, ninja robot, magic/alien robot, cute/goofy robot,

Edited by xengk, 24 November 2014 - 12:55 AM.

#18 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 24 November 2014 - 03:26 AM

View PostAWOL 01, on 21 November 2014 - 11:52 PM, said:

I threw this together a while back to put in perspective how large (or small) some famous mechs are and I thought you guys would like it. Enjoy.

Posted Image

From left to right they are as follows: the AMP Suit from Avatar, the Armored Personnel Unit (APU) from the Matrix, the AT-AT and AT-ST from Star Wars, the Raider mech from Hawken, an M1A1 Abrams Tank, a Shadowhawk, a Blizzaia/Frost Wanzer from Front Mission 4, an Armored Core (AC) unit from the Armored Core franchise, an AC from Armored Core V, Metal Gear REX from Metal Gear Solid, the L5 Riesig from Battlefield 2142, and a Humvee. There is also an A-10 Thunderbolt II, AH-64 Apache, and C-17 Globemaster III. Personally, I think the AC would win in a free-for-all, but I'd like to see them all duke it out. :D

The M1A Abrams is 9,83 m in lenght, the most Mechs High to 10m -12 m, Protomechs only 4-6m (have no Cockpits)...the Shadowhawk very to high.

Edited by CSJ Ranger, 24 November 2014 - 03:27 AM.

#19 StompingOnTanks

• Bad Company
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 24 November 2014 - 03:41 AM

View Postxengk, on 24 November 2014 - 12:47 AM, said:

Gundam stopped being realistic since Gundam Wing, you will have better luck with the older series like the 08th MS Team.
In 08th, Gundam's joints can get clog by sand, have supply problem, need intel support from command centre, slow down when enter deep water, gets destroy by tank shell.

This. This this this this this. Best mecha anime I've seen in a long time, despite its age.

If you want a realistic mecha anime, you MUST watch this.

#20 AWOL 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 347 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 November 2014 - 07:27 AM

View Postxengk, on 24 November 2014 - 12:47 AM, said:

Mecha are divided into 2 basic trope; Real Type and Super Type.
It was coined by the turn based strategy game Super Robot War.

Real Type are relatively more grounded in real science and physics.
Super Type are only bound by the Law of Cool.

Thank you for the info! I will definitely check out Gundam!

View PostCSJ Ranger, on 24 November 2014 - 03:26 AM, said:

The M1A Abrams is 9,83 m in lenght, the most Mechs High to 10m -12 m, Protomechs only 4-6m (have no Cockpits)...the Shadowhawk very to high.

Posted Image

I went by this scale.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users