- - - - -

New Mech Configuration

14 replies to this topic

#1 Sgt C

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationKuwait

Posted 22 November 2014 - 06:11 AM

1. Sorry to be negative, but the Mech configuration mechanic is pretty horrible, and I've been configuring ships and tanks and such in video games for 25 years.

2. I stripped the mech to make it easier for me to deal with, now it has no armor, and will not put any armor back on. What am I doing wrong? Mech is HBK-4SP.

3. Bought another one and it comes with armor, so I know armor can be put on them.

Label me confused.

#2 3xnihilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 November 2014 - 06:48 AM

Go to configure, then to loadout, select the part of the mech you would like to add armor to (ie. Center Torso). Near the top there should be some numbers indicating the amount of armor currently installed on that component. There should be up and down arrows there as well to adjust the armor levels.

I am not on a computer with MWO installed now or I would give you a screen shot. Sorry

Edited by 3xnihilo, 22 November 2014 - 06:50 AM.

#3 Thumper3

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 281 posts
  • LocationTemplar Headquarters

Posted 22 November 2014 - 07:51 AM

Yeah, mechlab is clunky. Use http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/ to build the mech and then just use that as a guide to adjust in mechlab. Time consuming but much easier.

Here you go.

Use the up/down arrows in each mech section to adjust armor.

Posted Image

Edited by Thumper3, 22 November 2014 - 07:54 AM.

#4 Sgt C

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationKuwait

Posted 22 November 2014 - 12:29 PM

Thanks for the help from both of you. I see it now. Too bad I sold the first one and took the boning there. I fail to understand the reasoning behind that. There isn't an economy in the game.
This one is probably going out of rotation for a while. Matches so far have been pretty awful. Just total blow outs for the most part. Not any fun. Also, now I see why there are Cadet bonuses. I'm only clearing 50K a game now. It will take months to afford a new 'Mech at that rate.
Have fun. See you around.

#5 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 November 2014 - 01:02 PM

I can sympathize that the learning curve on this game is tough. But, it is a lot of fun once you get past it and totally worth all the initial frustration in my opinion :) GLHF

#6 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 22 November 2014 - 01:53 PM

The learning curve here can be pretty steep, but it's a great game if you like big stompy robots mechs and shooting games with longer time-to-kills

We were all new once, and player organization are happy to take in new players and help show them the ropes. you may have a better time adjusting by joining a unit who can help with questions on-the-fly (as well as help secure kills & assists in a match!)

#7 dragnier1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:47 PM

View PostSgt C, on 22 November 2014 - 12:29 PM, said:

Thanks for the help from both of you. I see it now. Too bad I sold the first one and took the boning there. I fail to understand the reasoning behind that. There isn't an economy in the game.
This one is probably going out of rotation for a while. Matches so far have been pretty awful. Just total blow outs for the most part. Not any fun. Also, now I see why there are Cadet bonuses. I'm only clearing 50K a game now. It will take months to afford a new 'Mech at that rate.
Have fun. See you around.

Yes it's true, there isn't an economy in this game. No trading nor exchanges of stuff what-so-ever. The beginning few weeks/months are also rough for newer players, i remember earning an average of 30-40k when i did my first 3 hunchbacks and 2 commandos (first 5 mechs). It only started to improve a small amount when i worked on the ecm commando.

On the bright side, you wouldn't see "gold farmers" or websites selling online. There's nothing for them to earn from mwo.

Edited by dragnier1, 22 November 2014 - 09:51 PM.

#8 Sgt C

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationKuwait

Posted 23 November 2014 - 06:02 AM

Well, I'm certainly going to squeeze out every nickel of the premium time I bought, so I'll be on tonight.
Still going between an "OK" game and two or three, dying without doing much. Part of the problem is wanting to do something to contribute, I need to be way more conservative.

Also, I have discovered what "RADAR Deprivation" is. A very powerful skill, that. Now I see why I take so much fire sometimes. Especially LRM fire. I'm likely the only one on the RADAR at times.

Anyway, thanks for the smurfys link and the encouragement.

#9 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 23 November 2014 - 06:41 AM

Mechwarrior in general is famous for being one of those games you played for a month and still have not a single clue what you do.

But they you soon get the hang of it. MW: O isn't that bad if you played previous MW games. However instead of trying to jump over a wall you just got yourself a ledge to jump to the wall.

#10 Thumper3

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 281 posts
  • LocationTemplar Headquarters

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:51 AM

View PostSgt C, on 23 November 2014 - 06:02 AM, said:

Well, I'm certainly going to squeeze out every nickel of the premium time I bought, so I'll be on tonight.
Still going between an "OK" game and two or three, dying without doing much. Part of the problem is wanting to do something to contribute, I need to be way more conservative.

Remember, this isn't COD or a BF game. :D This is a pretty intense and very complex game. Half the game is building the mech to be effective and then learning to make that build sing.

There's a big learning curve, yes, and there are things that could be done to make that easier, BUT.....ultimately it is still a lot to learn just because it is so detailed.

It's like rebuilding an engine in a classic car, you don't just grab a wrench and instantly know what you're doing. Takes time, but if you put that time in........it can be very rewarding.

As you said, be more conservative, don't be the first one out there (especially if you're in a Hunchback LOL), stick with other mechs and pay close attention to cover. Even though it's boring, take some time to run around the maps in Training Grounds so you can get familiar with them. It will come with time, but once you know the maps backwards and forwards it makes a big difference too.

And as I tell everyone, this is a team game.....the only way to get away from truly awful games is to be in a group where everyone knows what everyone else is planning on doing and to move and act as one. Something to consider.

#11 Sgt C

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationKuwait

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:00 AM

Being more conservative has certainly helped. Games have got much better. Also, I'll stay around and spectate and watch other people play. Much can be learned in that mode. I do know about the Training Grounds and used them a bit, surely not enough, but it can be bit dull running around by yourself.
Mech building reminds me of Eve Online. Lots of pieces and parts to figure out. Getting the setup right for the vehicle and your play style can make a world of difference.
I have noticed that everyone seems quite polite around here and in game. Kind of nice for a change.
Thanks everyone. I'm off to play some more.

#12 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:19 PM

just a little tip: when you are running around the training grounds to learn a map use the firestarter or Jenner trial. That way you can get around quickly so you don't have to spend so much time there and the jump jets will let you see places you can't get to with non-jj mechs. Should help with he tedium a bit. Happy hunting!

#13 Shaemus Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:24 PM

Being conservative will keep you alive longer. Remember to turn your torso away from your enemies while your weapons are recharging, using your arms to protect your center torso. Following your more experienced teammates and shooting what they shoot at will also teach you, by watching them operate and learn from their mistakes since we all make them.

#14 Molossian Dog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:31 PM

The grind can be very hard. Don´t let that discourage you. Once you understood what actually pays off during a battle it gets a bit better. But yes, it takes weeks to accumulate enough C-Bills to buy a Mech and equip it properly. It is even worse at the beginning since every little tweak on your build will cost additional money, since you don´t have any parts on stock.

What you can do:
1.) Check the builds forum. Look what other HBK-4SP pilots use and chose a build that seems to fit your play style. Work towards that goal and buy only parts you need for that. Constant reworking builds to try them out is costly, so you better know what you are aiming for.
2.) Be aware of the mech skill tree. Please note that having 3 different Hunchbacks and unlocking their basic efficiencies allows you to unlock the Elite and Master efficiencies. Completing the Elite tree will double the basic ones. This is crucial and will increase a Mech´s performance exponentially.
3.) Every Mech variant has bonuses to specific weapons and weapon groups (lasers etc). You can download this list as a PDF. Save it where you can find ti quickly for reference. It might help you understand what to expect from other Mechs you meet.
https://static.mwome...re%20Quirks.pdf
4.) Most Hunchbacks are ambush predators. Play according to that.
5.) If you are going to buy a module in the future, take Radar Deprivation (Radar Derp) first.

Another word of advice. Never sell engines. Especially XL engines. The standard ones can be sold once you have several of them lieing around. Sooner or later you are going to need engines and they are extremely costly. You might be tempted to sell them when you needs just one, two million more for that next Mech. Don´t. Clench your teeth and grind it.

PS: Yes, the Mechlab sucks. PGI has promised to make it more like smurfys. When? Don´t know.

Edited by Molossian Dog, 25 November 2014 - 05:35 PM.

#15 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 12:28 PM

View PostSgt C, on 24 November 2014 - 08:00 AM, said:

I'll stay around and spectate and watch other people play. Much can be learned in that mode.

this is by far the best way to learn, outside of watching one of knovings video's.. He has 100's posted if not 1000's by this point.. Just goto youtube and search, and start watching..

But to that point, i'm not saying do this on purpose, but often being new you will be the first to drop..  (then again even as a vet, i have been known to do those Opp's moments)  While it is harder to pick out who is good and who isn't..  If you press Tab, that will bring up the screen of who is alive,  and keep an eye out on who is killing mechs, and if they get a few.. even better,  then hop around to that person and watch um play.

It is also worth just poping around to different mechs to see load outs, and what others are doing.. Or often, what them do something dumb, and get killed and there you know have more knowledge of how not to play!  so it is win win win, even in a loss :)

Edited by JC Daxion, 29 November 2014 - 12:32 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users