3 replies to this topic

#1 HlynkaCG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:14 AM

Not sure if I should be posting this here or in Feedback & Support but has anyone else experienced MWO causing issues with their wireless adapter since the last patch?

The issues take the form of a rapidly fluctuating link speed often followed by an a wireless adapter reset, or on occasion a hard freeze requiring a complete computer reset. These issues appear to be unique to MWO specifically while I'm in a match. By contrast Google chrome seems to be unaffected and I have not had any similar issues while playing War Thunder or TF2. (other online games I play on a regular basis)

Possible avenue for investigation:
After the first hard crash I found that my base filtering engine had been corrupted, I restored from back-up and updated my network & windows security thinking that this was the source of my the problem but no such luck.

The Adapter in question is a Realtek RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter installed on a HP dv6 Laptop running Windows 7.

ETA: Spec-sheet below.

Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
AMD A8-3520M 48 °C
Llano 32nm Technology
RAM
5.00GB DDR3 @ 675MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Hewlett-Packard 1805 (Socket FS1) 47 °C
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
512MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 6620G (HP) 47 °C
Storage
596GB Hitachi HTS547564A9E384 SATA Disk Device (SATA) 37 °C
Optical Drives
hp DVD-RAM UJ8B1 SATA CdRom Device
Audio
IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

Edited by HlynkaCG, 22 November 2014 - 10:19 AM.

#2 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:04 AM

This is a general support forum; you've found the right place

It sounds like a simple overheat. Obviously MWO has no direct interaction with the NIC other than producing/requesting network traffic. It's not like there's some driver-level interaction where it's making your adapter do something to malfunction.

Why would MWO in particular be causing such problems? I have no idea. It is my experience that integrated notebook wireless cards overheat, and I've seen them die quick deaths going back to my 2002/2003(?) HP ZV5000 all the way to notebooks produced in the last year or two. My guess is that it's just a combination of MWO's network use and heightened ambient temperature inside the notebook from playing such an intensive game.

I would suggest just picking up a cheap external card and seeing if that helps, something like this: http://www.newegg.co...6-068-_-Product (the tiny USB adapters overheat super easily; that one does not)

If it's not your issue, you're only out $11 with a wireless adapter that probably has double the effective range of your laptop's anyways :)

Edited by Catamount, 22 November 2014 - 11:04 AM.

#3 HlynkaCG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 22 November 2014 - 01:02 PM

View PostCatamount, on 22 November 2014 - 11:04 AM, said:

This is a general support forum; you've found the right place

Why would MWO in particular be causing such problems? I have no idea. It is my experience that integrated notebook wireless cards overheat, and I've seen them die quick deaths going back to my 2002/2003(?) HP ZV5000 all the way to notebooks produced in the last year or two. My guess is that it's just a combination of MWO's network use and heightened ambient temperature inside the notebook from playing such an intensive game.

I would suggest just picking up a cheap external card and seeing if that helps, something like this: http://www.newegg.co...6-068-_-Product (the tiny USB adapters overheat super easily; that one does not)

If it's not your issue, you're only out $11 with a wireless adapter that probably has double the effective range of your laptop's anyways :)

Thank you, I'll look into that.

#4 Valfodur

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 01:09 PM

I was in the same boat as you. I bought a new wireless card today (A Netgear AC1200) and the game has returned to perfect ping levels.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users