17 replies to this topic

#1 Milocinia

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationAvalon City, New Avalon

Posted 22 November 2014 - 12:50 PM

Seems to have been overlooked in favour of the Dragon.

Currently running this build with great success: WVR-6R "Mini-Dragon"

Better to fill up the RT with half tons or would that increase the likelihood of an ammo stack being critted?

Either way I feel it's just as potent as the Dragon because it's often overlooked on the battlefield yet can still lay down almost the same amount of dakka. Granted all you can mount is an ML or MPL but it's something I can (and do) live with.

#2 Eximar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationStill living in 3025

Posted 22 November 2014 - 01:05 PM

The rapid fire AC 10 is a lot of fun.

#3 Milocinia

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationAvalon City, New Avalon

Posted 22 November 2014 - 02:03 PM

A single '10 frees up some SRM space + JJ's WVR-6R I might give it a try :)

Edited by Kyocera, 22 November 2014 - 02:03 PM.

#4 SerratedBlaze

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 111 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 03:20 AM

I've been using the OP's build with a little less ammo and 6-7JJ. It got most of my "to the victor" qualified rounds despite being my newest mech. It can certainly harass and put out good damage with the rapid fire AC5s.

I've also had a good time with the WVR-7K and 3xSRM6. or 6K with 3LPL.. Much more fun than the hunchback counterparts.

#5 The Trumpet of Gabriel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 193 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:00 AM

View PostKyocera, on 22 November 2014 - 02:03 PM, said:

A single '10 frees up some SRM space + JJ's WVR-6R I might give it a try :)

I think the advantage of the ac5's is the fact that if you add the level 5 ac5 cool down module to the quirks, you would have ~52% cool down for the ac5's. That's like a heavier ac 10 that can fire as fast as ac2's... Serious dakka. The only disadvantage is the fact that both are in the same arm.

#6 Colonel Clunge

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 104 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:48 AM

Why do you see so few Wolverines on the battlefield - are they that bad?

#7 Kmieciu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 26 November 2014 - 06:05 AM

I would say that a Dragon-1N can protect his gun arm much better, especially if you use freelook. It has 10% more dakka and 30 points of additional structure.

#8 SilentScreamer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 556 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 06:12 AM

View PostColonel Clunge, on 26 November 2014 - 05:48 AM, said:

I enjoy my wolverines, but compared to what I could do with them kill/damage wise most mediums were better performers. The shadowhawk had superior ballistics without loosing missile hardpoints and the griffin can twist amazingly.

With the quirk system the wolverines and other mechs get a new chance. My 6R was an SRM boat, the 7K a brawler with no good plan for the 6K. Now my 6K is sporting large pulse but I have not settled on changes to the others.

#9 Revorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 06:27 AM

View PostColonel Clunge, on 26 November 2014 - 05:48 AM, said:

I wouldnt say, they are bad. In fact, they are my best Mediums atm. :)

I guess its much about, having all Weapons in the Arm, wich ppl dont like so much. Or its maybe the Optic and Size too. Its a real huge Mech. Well oki, most Mediums can spitt an Stalker on the Top easy as well. :blink:

Every Heavy looks smaller as your Wolerine and can carry decent more Firepower and Amor for only 5+ tons more, so why taking a Medium? :unsure:

#10 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 06:40 AM

I love the Wolverine. Did most of the challenge in my 7k missile boat (the quirks made the Wolverine laugh at Griffins when it comes to boating LRMs; it already had better hardpoint layout, now it has better RoF & range too).

As for the 6R, I might try the dual AC5 build, but I think it's better to stick to a single one and have SRMs & jump jets too (as well as some extra speed).

#11 Crotch RockIt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 583 posts
  • Locationchewing his lower lip

Posted 26 November 2014 - 06:52 AM

I love my recently purchased Wolverines. Just finished Eliting all 3 last night My 6R is just like the OP's, except I have 7 tons of ammo and 5 JJ. The 6K has 3xLPL and a ML. The 7K has 3xLRM10 and 3xML and a few JJ. I may try out the 3xSRM6 build soon, though.

One of the reasons I bought them is that the 6R is largely overshadowed by the Dragon (less likely to get its quirks nerfed if few people use them). So don't tell Russ and PGI how great they are! Shhhhhhh

#12 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 07:20 AM

Crotch RockIt I recommend you mount a TAG in the head slot. You'll be able to nullify ECM and you don't need to expose too much of the mech to target/fire (since the launchers are also at head level).

#13 Crotch RockIt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 583 posts
  • Locationchewing his lower lip

Posted 26 November 2014 - 07:34 PM

I used to run it with TAG, but I prefer the 3rd laser instead.

#14 Colonel Clunge

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 104 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted 27 November 2014 - 05:57 AM

Well I bought the 6R and loaded it up with 2 AC5s but wasn't having a lot of success as the torso twisting isn't great without the skills unlocks and everyone targeted that big old arm so I switched them out stuck in an XL 290 engine an Ac10 and a couple of SRM4s, kept the head ML and lost 2 JJ and I have to say I'm performing much better. No where near as good as my Shawks but I'll hold judgement until I've Elited - I seem to remember I struggled with the Shawks at first too. Think I might swap the AC10 for an LBX 10 - anyone had much success using this with the WVR?

#15 Temptis

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 68 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:00 AM

shhh, stop talking about the Wubverine/Dakkaverine.
enjoy them while they last.
i do.

#16 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:26 AM

Ran the WVR-6R with LBX, ML & streaks a while back. Did great fighting lights and some mediums, but it couldn't really do much vs big guys unless they had exposed sections, and even then it was only sometimes effective. AC10 did much better vs big guys, but performance vs lights suffered.

Oh, I should mention I generally ran this with an XL340 or XL315. Speed is life with the Wolverine, IMO.

#17 Colonel Clunge

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 104 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted 28 November 2014 - 05:46 AM

View PosteFTy, on 28 November 2014 - 04:26 AM, said:

Ran the WVR-6R with LBX, ML & streaks a while back. Did great fighting lights and some mediums, but it couldn't really do much vs big guys unless they had exposed sections, and even then it was only sometimes effective. AC10 did much better vs big guys, but performance vs lights suffered.

Oh, I should mention I generally ran this with an XL340 or XL315. Speed is life with the Wolverine, IMO.

Thanks eFTy. Good advice. Will stick with the current loadout as the Ac10 works well against the big guys and the SRMs+ML cluster does a goodish job at seeing off lights.Need to think of a way of squeezing in a bigger engine though......

#18 ShinobiHunter

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 28 November 2014 - 05:25 PM

View PosteFTy, on 28 November 2014 - 04:26 AM, said:

This ^^^ I wouldn't think of running a Wolvie with less than a 300. Haven't had a chance to play much with loadouts since the quirks. My best before was a 7K with 3x A-SRM6, 3 ML and XL 335. I use it for hit-and-run and backstabbing mostly, but you can give most other mechs a good run for their money in a brawl.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users