Randomly Taking Command

16 replies to this topic

#1 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,701 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 01:06 PM

In almost every mission the game gives me Company command.

I don't want it and it's very annoying to open the map, then resign the command and close the map. It repeats again and again.

Does anybody know what to do with it?

#2 Draven Darkshadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 130 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 02:13 PM

well can't fix it and it happens to me quite often when i hold my w key and my spacebar key which initiates that process 3/5 times which i tend to let it be

#3 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 06:54 PM

Same for me if I press zoom

#4 Ano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 637 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:35 AM

Perhaps check your keybinds (both in-game, and possibly in the config file) -- it could be that somehow the "take command" shortcut has acquired a keyboard shortcut at some point and you keep accidentally (or deliberately, if it also does something else) pressing it?

#5 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,701 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:55 PM

View PostAno, on 25 November 2014 - 10:35 AM, said:

Perhaps check your keybinds (both in-game, and possibly in the config file) -- it could be that somehow the "take command" shortcut has acquired a keyboard shortcut at some point and you keep accidentally (or deliberately, if it also does something else) pressing it?

It's not the case since the game assigns me command before I even touch the keyboard.

#6 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 02:42 AM

I can not see a take command key in the settings!

#7 SoggyGorilla

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 194 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 03:07 PM

http://mwomercs.com/...o-take-command/

http://mwomercs.com/...-still-present/

http://mwomercs.com/...y-by-using-jjs/

http://mwomercs.com/...taking-command/

http://mwomercs.com/...tting-spacebar/

--seems to be a known issue. Ill ask Alex if he has noticed this.

Edited by SoggyGorilla, 27 November 2014 - 03:28 PM.

#8 Alexander Garden

Producer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 03:24 PM

Hey everyone,

I'm going to give QA a nudge to see if I can get you an update on this; we do currently have this logged in the database.
I've yet to replicate this issue in my own games, unfortunately.

#9 SoggyGorilla

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 194 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 04:11 PM

based on the other forum posts, i will attempt to replicate the issue. ill report back with my findings.

#10 That Dawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 04:35 PM

I mapped next enemy to the space bar, if I hit it...2...4...once...it makes me assume command.

so, same problem here

#11 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,701 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 11:00 PM

View PostAlexander Garden, on 27 November 2014 - 03:24 PM, said:

Hey everyone,

I'm going to give QA a nudge to see if I can get you an update on this; we do currently have this logged in the database.
I've yet to replicate this issue in my own games, unfortunately.

Thank you very much for your effort.

I'd like to mention one thing that may be worth considering: Delete the "Command" altogether.
Reasons are simple:
1) In PUG nobody cares about the so-called Commander anyway.
2) Premade teams do not need Commander because they are on Teamspeak anyway.

#12 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:55 AM

I'd like to make a rebuttal to the above post:

Don't remove the Commander tools, just clean them up a little bit. This is all you need to do:

- Add a fourth 'lance' to command: "Company" That way if you want to command the whole team, you don't have to make three separate markers, one for each lance, you can just make one single command.
- Allow us to assign a hot key for each of these four options, maybe default would be 1, 2, 3, 4
- We need three colours to distinguish the three lances.
- Allow us to assign hot keys to each of the commands, like Move, Hold, etc, ... a default could be 1, 2, 3, 4, ...
- Allow us to assign a hot key that clears all commands.
- Make the actual command icons transparent so they don't obscure anybody who's busy fighting right underneath them.
- Allow us to play with the commander role in the testing grounds. I feel like a lot of people don't use it because they don't want to fiddle with learning how to do it in a live match and risk messing it up.

That's all I ask. <3 Pweeeaase? Maybe January, something to look into? February? :wub: :wub: :wub:

Edited by Tarogato, 28 November 2014 - 02:02 AM.

#13 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,701 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 09:08 AM

View PostTarogato, on 28 November 2014 - 01:55 AM, said:

I'd like to make a rebuttal to the above post:

Don't remove the Commander tools, just clean them up a little bit. This is all you need to do:

- Add a fourth 'lance' to command: "Company" That way if you want to command the whole team, you don't have to make three separate markers, one for each lance, you can just make one single command.
- Allow us to assign a hot key for each of these four options, maybe default would be 1, 2, 3, 4
- We need three colours to distinguish the three lances.
- Allow us to assign hot keys to each of the commands, like Move, Hold, etc, ... a default could be 1, 2, 3, 4, ...
- Allow us to assign a hot key that clears all commands.
- Make the actual command icons transparent so they don't obscure anybody who's busy fighting right underneath them.
- Allow us to play with the commander role in the testing grounds. I feel like a lot of people don't use it because they don't want to fiddle with learning how to do it in a live match and risk messing it up.

That's all I ask. <3 Pweeeaase? Maybe January, something to look into? February? :wub: :wub: :wub:

While nice effort, it doesn't solve the basic problem that I already mentioned:

Until you can convincingly answer this question, all PGI's effort towards improving Commander UI is going to be wasted.

#14 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 November 2014 - 10:46 AM

View Postmartian, on 29 November 2014 - 09:08 AM, said:

While nice effort, it doesn't solve the basic problem that I already mentioned:

Until you can convincingly answer this question, all PGI's effort towards improving Commander UI is going to be wasted.
While you're completely right, we'll have to agree to disagree.

12-mans won't use it, but a premade group of 6 might want to drop an icon to help lead the group of 4 and group of 2 that makes up the rest of their team. With the interface being clunky like this, there's zero incentive for a commander to use it for this purpose.

In solo queue, when a commander is respectful and makes an earnest request while placing a mark on the map, most pugs will accept that if some people follow the command, it's better for them to also obey it rather than split the team up into disorganised chaos. Again, with a clunky interface, we're not seeing this happening very often because people can't be arsed to open up the map and go through the series of pinpoint clicks necessary to create a command. I have a strong urge that more people would use the feature if it were optimised a little better.

I think it's worth a shot anyways. =]

#15 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,701 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 11:23 AM

View PostTarogato, on 29 November 2014 - 10:46 AM, said:

While you're completely right, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Yes, it seems to be the case.

12-mans won't use it, but a premade group of 6 might want to drop an icon to help lead the group of 4 and group of 2 that makes up the rest of their team. With the interface being clunky like this, there's zero incentive for a commander to use it for this purpose.

Among such smaller groups, nobody cooperates with other groups, unless it's extreme case of 10+2 or so. Because honestly, why should our smaller group obey the other group that is doing something stupid and sits in inferior 'Mechs? Anyway, you can see on the map where the rest of your team is - nothing else is needed.

In solo queue, when a commander is respectful and makes an earnest request while placing a mark on the map, most pugs will accept that if some people follow the command, it's better for them to also obey it rather than split the team up into disorganised chaos. Again, with a clunky interface, we're not seeing this happening very often because people can't be arsed to open up the map and go through the series of pinpoint clicks necessary to create a command. I have a strong urge that more people would use the feature if it were optimised a little better.

I guess that you play with different PUGs than I do. Because just a while ago I actually took command on the Forest Colony map. I told them to "stay together" and placed marker on the map. The result? Immediately two went in the water and hide behind the big rock with ECM. Three went center and were hammered to death with LRMs in the open. One PUG in ECM Cicada ran away with our ECM to "snipe". Two stayed hidden behind our base without moving a centimeter. And two or three went to guard the tunnel and were instantly overrun by attacking enemies.

For PUGs there is no reason why they should obey any Commander, no matter how many markers he puts in front of them, etc.

#16 MadLibrarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 334 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationYou Essay

Posted 29 November 2014 - 03:22 PM

It does seem to have something to do with the space bar. I rebound mine to toggle zoom instead of a weapon group and my random command reduced significantly, but not entirely. I thought I saw it happen when I pressed W just as the battlegrid faded out, but it might have been a space in there somehow too.

#17 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 06:05 PM

My Zoom button is mapped to Numpad Zero/Insert, which takes command randomly.

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 06 December 2014 - 06:06 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users