What I Learned From The Victor Challenge

General Weapons

18 replies to this topic

#1 AjerWerklWerkl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 157 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 04:22 PM

First, thanks to PGI for all the recent generosity. To give 3 days premium time with just 1 point is very kind, and gave everyone a chance to rack up some C-bills while trying the challenge -- and hopefully, learning some new skills. Not to mention the quality of matches -- generally better than usual, I felt, even when I was frustrated with the results.

It was a really tough one, and I do think that something like 10 points would have been a perfectly hard target. But, I became a much better player because of it, and I appreciate that. Here's what I learned:

1. You'll get a lot more damage if you stay alive.
Obvious, but I would always get so tempted to rush in, or to engage when I should back off... and of course, I normally die a lot because of that. During this challenge I set personal records for my CDA-3M and HBK-4J (937 damage!!!), and that's because I was a lot smarter about my own survival.

2. This doesn't mean you sit back and never engage.
In fact, I did a lot of ridge peeking (probably not recommended) -- but you just need to be cautious and back off when you're getting hit. That's all!

3. Pulse lasers are pretty awesome!
I always thought people were fools to give up a ton per laser to get them. But the concentrated firepower is a HUGE asset. Initially I was using my CDA-3M with 4 ML and LBX-10, and after about 10 games, I tried pulse... suddenly, I was getting more kills. So I switched to my HBK-4J -- and bam... suddenly a kill every other game at least, to the point where I was backing off sometimes to share! And this was just with a basic-completed HBK-4J!!! I'm going to buy 2 more now and Master them!!!

I hope these tips come in handy! Good luck and happy hunting.

BTW, I think PGI actually did some of us a favor in the sense that this was actually a (HIGHLY) compensated training exercise. Pretty sure I picked up ~10 million C-bills during the grind, and I'm sure many others got more. :)

Edited by AjerWerklWerkl, 24 November 2014 - 06:24 AM.

#2 Commander A9

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationGDI East Coast Command, Fort Dix, NJ

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:35 PM

I agree; it was a fitting change of pace and required us to shift our tactics, and actually focus on working to survive the match.

I've had some insane damage done based on having to adjust my tactics. I got my Victor Champion last night, and I'm still playing, working to help other people get their own mech now.

#3 JimboFBX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:48 PM

I learned that having a high elo is bad for these challenges since getting a ****** team you have to carry sucks when you pick a light and need to survive.

I do enjoy the incentive for living and winning. Had some good games including one where it ended with my cored, crippled kitfox jumping up on a building and blasting a stormcrow that just killed the two teammates, leaving just me (one hit from death) and a teammate who was out of ammo

In another game, my team lost, just a sliver left before capturing the enemy base, 12-8

Most games though, my team can't take advantage of my spotting nor win any fights when equal numbers

Edited by JimboFBX, 23 November 2014 - 09:50 PM.

#4 Mothykins

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 1,125 posts
  • Locationilikerice is my hero.

Posted 23 November 2014 - 10:24 PM

I heave learned that you can only carry so hard in a 1V(P)...
LCT-1VP Posted Image 3 1 2 Posted Image

#5 Commander A9

• Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationGDI East Coast Command, Fort Dix, NJ

Posted 23 November 2014 - 10:41 PM

Well, does the team "suck" because people have such variant play styles and interests that coordination is difficult?

Or do they "suck" because they are unskilled?

I think people are confusing skill and apptitude with a conflict of play style.

#6 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 10:44 PM

pulse lasers tend to not suffer from as many hit reg problems as regular lasers, at least currently.

If you wanna go for maximum wubbiness you gotta give the WubWolf a try. 7 MPLs on a timberwolf.
I'm sure the Wubshee will show up any minute.

#7 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 23 November 2014 - 11:00 PM

Wubturion....or... Centwub AL.
It does miracles with 3 PLlaser, thax to quirks.
And it never die!

Anyway, Congrat to OP.
It's always good to read that someone has learned something and improved as mechwarrior. O7

"the more you live the more damage you can deliver" is one of the pillar....that many refuse to learn around here in the forum.

#8 mindwarp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 250 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 11:18 PM

Did the entire challenge in my WVR-6K. Fast becoming my favoutire mech. 97.2 kph and 3LPL. Gotta protect that right arm though.

#9 Mothykins

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 1,125 posts
  • Locationilikerice is my hero.

Posted 23 November 2014 - 11:24 PM

I also learned that My entire team will ignore the fact that I put up a UAV on top of LITERALLY the whole opposing team, mill around the rocks at E6 on Tourmaline, and then ask me to come back to give them ECM cover as the opposing team blows my Raven to bits, and then proceed to get FLANKED by a ******* DIREWOLF AND ROLLED.

They ****** around for so long a DIREWOLF got behind them. HOW?!

#10 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 23 November 2014 - 11:27 PM

View PostBrody319, on 23 November 2014 - 10:44 PM, said:

pulse lasers tend to not suffer from as many hit reg problems as regular lasers, at least currently.

If you wanna go for maximum wubbiness you gotta give the WubWolf a try. 7 MPLs on a timberwolf.
I'm sure the Wubshee will show up any minute.

Well, I find Pulse Lasers suffer more from hitreg issues, but that's mainly since they share the same mechanics.

For each tick you lose on a pulse laser, it affects you considerably more than a tick on a normal laser, since the beam is shorter while dealing more damage.

WubShee is indeed superior to the WubWolf, but that's just because IS Wub is superior to Clam Wub. WubWolf works alright; GH on 7 is only a tad under 5 heat.

#11 Scratx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 11:30 PM

Pulses since Russ rebalanced them are an actual, valid choice. Before they just paid too much of a price for the shorter beam. Now? They're in a good place.

I knew this already, though.

What I did learn is that a Wubcrow, with 6 MPL, is a deadly machine in my hands. And that I can actually effectively hit and destroy lights with it.

Pretty much anything else I already knew.

#12 BUDFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire, UK

Posted 23 November 2014 - 11:32 PM

View PostBrody319, on 23 November 2014 - 10:44 PM, said:

As much as I like the sound of that, I am struggling to find a viable setup. Do you throw an AC or missiles in to the mix also?

Meh, helps if you add armour....

I must say, I like that! Onyl downside I can see if you gotta use the single TBR-S Omni pod for 2 JJ's which I am not sure how effective would be. Gotta give that a go though. Sorry for going way off topic here.

Edited by BUDFORCE, 23 November 2014 - 11:39 PM.

#13 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 23 November 2014 - 11:33 PM

View PostScratx, on 23 November 2014 - 11:30 PM, said:

Pulses since Russ rebalanced them are an actual, valid choice. Before they just paid too much of a price for the shorter beam. Now? They're in a good place.

I knew this already, though.

What I did learn is that a Wubcrow, with 6 MPL, is a deadly machine in my hands. And that I can actually effectively hit and destroy lights with it.

Pretty much anything else I already knew.

Well, Clam MPLs are still at 150% heat with reduced range, but at least they have one advantage of additional damage.

IS MPLs have the proper heat levels, damage levels, but buffed range by 40M.

View PostBUDFORCE, on 23 November 2014 - 11:32 PM, said:

As much as I like the sound of that, I am struggling to find a viable setup. Do you throw an AC or missiles in to the mix also?

Mine was 7 MPLs, 25ishDHS, TC and AP?

Something along those lines.

#14 mindwarp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 250 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 11:40 PM

One thing I have noticed - this challenge is definitely making me a better pilot.

#15 AjerWerklWerkl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 157 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 06:22 AM

Thanks for recommendations! I'll try some pulses on the TW also...

#16 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 24 November 2014 - 06:39 AM

View PostJimboFBX, on 23 November 2014 - 09:48 PM, said:

I learned that having a high elo is bad for these challenges since getting a ****** team you have to carry sucks when you pick a light and need to survive.

I do enjoy the incentive for living and winning. Had some good games including one where it ended with my cored, crippled kitfox jumping up on a building and blasting a stormcrow that just killed the two teammates, leaving just me (one hit from death) and a teammate who was out of ammo

In another game, my team lost, just a sliver left before capturing the enemy base, 12-8

Most games though, my team can't take advantage of my spotting nor win any fights when equal numbers

I had to switch through all the weight classes and mooch off the points from my low ELO ones. After a string of losses I'd refocus because that means my ELO probably went down meaning more competent players would be put on my team and I could have another go at a point or two.

I didn't mind the losing streaks and I got more upset with a win where I didn't qualify (because ELO goes up without you getting a point).

Maybe next challenge I'll just go drop my ELO by losing a bunch before it starts. :lol:

#17 Scyther

• 1,271 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 24 November 2014 - 07:27 AM

I agree, the challenge forced me to adopt a more cautious, disciplined approach that likely produced better overall performance.

I also experimented with pulses for the first time, although that was as much because I did most of the challenge in 'new' mechs for me (Ice Ferret, Mist Lynx, some ShadowHawks I bought on the last sale and hadn't leveled yet, my gift Cent and Atlas) and had to struggle to find some effective builds.

I think the need for 20 points was part of this, as 10 points would have allowed me to essentially trust to random luck to garner the points and not need to work at a new style.

That plus the 1st-point-premium gift made this an excellent, productive and 'challenging' event for me.

PGI, well done!

#18 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 24 November 2014 - 07:34 AM

View PostMadBadger, on 24 November 2014 - 07:27 AM, said:

I agree, the challenge forced me to adopt a more cautious, disciplined approach that likely produced better overall performance.

I also experimented with pulses for the first time, although that was as much because I did most of the challenge in 'new' mechs for me (Ice Ferret, Mist Lynx, some ShadowHawks I bought on the last sale and hadn't leveled yet, my gift Cent and Atlas) and had to struggle to find some effective builds.

I think the need for 20 points was part of this, as 10 points would have allowed me to essentially trust to random luck to garner the points and not need to work at a new style.

That plus the 1st-point-premium gift made this an excellent, productive and 'challenging' event for me.

PGI, well done!

They probably should have communicated it better though.

"We are giving you 3 days premium on your first point so that even if you utterly fail to get this shiny new robot because you (or your team yeah yeah) suck then you at least got lots more space dollars for your efforts so you don't really lose anything by trying.."

Well something along those lines only more diplomatic.

#19 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:02 AM

View PostBUDFORCE, on 23 November 2014 - 11:32 PM, said:

Meh, helps if you add armour....

I must say, I like that! Onyl downside I can see if you gotta use the single TBR-S Omni pod for 2 JJ's which I am not sure how effective would be. Gotta give that a go though. Sorry for going way off topic here.

Well those JJs can help you land softer, and turn quickly if you need too. You won't get too much lift but for some maps you don't need that much.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users