Too Many Lrms?

432 replies to this topic

Poll: Too many LRM boats? (502 member(s) have cast votes)

Are there too many LRMs present in typical games?

1. Yes (183 votes [36.45%])

Percentage of vote: 36.45%

2. No (242 votes [48.21%])

Percentage of vote: 48.21%

3. Yes, but only during challenges. (77 votes [15.34%])

Percentage of vote: 15.34%

Which way do you consider best to handle LRM over-usage?

1. Nerf LRMs (decrease speed/damage, or increase heat) (55 votes [6.29%])

Percentage of vote: 6.29%

2. Usage dependent on line-of-sight (130 votes [14.86%])

Percentage of vote: 14.86%

3. AMS rewards (to attract more players to use it) (256 votes [29.26%])

Percentage of vote: 29.26%

4. Reduce BAP range (harder to counter ECM) (81 votes [9.26%])

Percentage of vote: 9.26%

5. Improve AMS (group damage, lower hp per missile, etc.) (131 votes [14.97%])

Percentage of vote: 14.97%

6. Adjust LRM flight trajectory (147 votes [16.80%])

Percentage of vote: 16.80%

7. Increase minimum range (17 votes [1.94%])

Percentage of vote: 1.94%

8. Further active countermeasures (PPC hit lock disruption, new modules/equipment besides ECM) (58 votes [6.63%])

Percentage of vote: 6.63%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Joe Mallad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:30 PM

I do think we should get a bonus/reward for having AMS and shooting down LRMs. Maybe for every so many LRMs "your" AMS shoots down, you get a bonus/reward. Could even get some kind of bonus/reward for covering a friendly that does not have AMS and he's being targeted by LRMs?

#22 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:42 PM

View PostHelmer, on 25 November 2014 - 05:00 PM, said:

Moving to General Discussion as this is not a feature suggestion per se.

Cheers.

Damn, for a moment I thought someone had enabled polls for General Discussion...

#23 stocky0904

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:45 PM

After LRMs are nerfed whats next? Wublasers? 60 point Alpha Direwhales? PPCs again? ACs again?

When all the LRMs are gone because nobody wants to play them anymore what will be the next OP weapon? Maybe other people will start complaining about your weapon of joice. And so on...

There are different playstyles in mw:o and LRMs are not as OP as a 6xUAC5 DWF or a MadCat. And think about how OP those mechs will be without the help of some armor softening LRM-boats.

Btw i played about 15 matches today and did not see much LRMs. In one match (PUG) i wasted an uav because we had no LRMs at all (incl. me. I had an AWS 9M with 2 ERPPC and 1 PPC on caustic valley).

#24 Ronan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:13 PM

Bad and broken polls should be nerfed.

#25 Master Pain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 253 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:13 PM

I rarely ever use lrms, and i rarely ever die to lrms. I just dont see them as much of a problem in this game. I would like to see there be an ams usage reward for shooting down lrms fired at friendly mechs.

#26 Joe Mallad

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:20 PM

there is another reward pass coming and an AMS usage reward is indeed coming :)

#27 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:24 PM

In a nutshell, from what I saw this past tourney and recent games: LRMs are very very overused in pug games but in group/competitive they are borderline useless with some rare cases of LRMs excelling. So LRMs need some anti/something against usage of 5 million UAVs and LRMs, while groups need more want as LRMs of a support weapon.

TL;DR: LRMs are overused in pug games, LRMs are underused in group games.

#28 Mechammer555

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:26 PM

View PostAbivard, on 25 November 2014 - 05:25 PM, said:

This is beyond a simple bias in the poll, if you do not answer that LRM's need some kind of nerf your vote simply is not counted.
This... rigged poll means NOTHING!

#29 BigFatGator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 265 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:30 PM

poll should include a selection: "damage ok, flight ok, all other mechanics ok, but the silly screen shake needs to be proportional to the damage of the volley that actually gets through".

Because of how the rendering of screen shake works, it winds up giving a lock-up effect when a stream of LRM5 or clan LRMs hit a target. Have no problem with shaving my screen move around when I get hit with a ALRM45 volley, do have a problem with having my screen do the jimmy when I get hit with LRM5 volley that my AMS shot down 2-3 out of 5 missiles.

#30 Ten Ton

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:37 PM

This entire poll is horse-sheet. You ask if there is too much LRM in the game (no) and then proceed to ask a secondary "How do we nerf all the LRM's I hate" pseudo poll clearly showing you don't care to wait and see what the results of the initial poll were.

Get a life, and stop whining.

Edited by Ten Ton, 25 November 2014 - 06:38 PM.

#31 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:42 PM

Stop being my target.
Plain and simple.

#32 damonwolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 143 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:24 PM

SKILL IS OP!
LRMs are not. PERIOD.
The reasons people get killed by LRMS are because they are either 1) unlucky, 2) Very bad or new pilots , 3) they did something stupid, they ran out of ECM/AMS coverage, they encountered an exceptionally skilled pilot, etc., or a combination of these.
I have gotten killed twice in the past 100 games by LRMs...ONLY TWICE.
Ask most pilots what killed them in their last 10-20 games and i bet they WON'T say it was LRMs. I bet they'll tell you that Lasers or ballistics killed them. So, if LRMs rarely kill people, then that makes Lasers and Ballistics OP. NERF THEM!
Seriously though, Ballistics and Lasers don't have the slow arcing visual effects, warning voice/visual, and much of the screen shake that LRMS do. LRMS LOOK deadly, but are less deadly than Ballistics and lasers...and there are many ways you can avoid the damn things:
Ways to avoid LRM damage/deaths:
1) Use cover dammit.
2) Stay with ECM/AMS Mechs instead of running off like an idiot...a dead idiot.
3) Get the Module.
4) How about taking a ton and a half from your Mech build and put in a @#$%ing AMS already. What?! Reduce my fire power for defense? What?!
5) Equip an ECM if you can (I see many ECM Mechs without a damn ECM.Grrrrrr).
6) When you have LRMS that are going to hit, swivvel your Mech from side to side to spread damage across your Mechs Torsos and arms.
7) Twist your torso using an arm as a shield.
8) Get in his face and kick his teeth in. Clan LRMs are worthless close in, and IS LRMS do zero damage within 180 meters.
If you aren't doing most of these, then don't b!tch about LRMs. PERIOD.

Instead of being a ******* complaining about LRMs and attempting to get them nerfed (AGAIN), you should embrace what benefits LRMs can give to your team tactically. They serve to keep the enemies heads down and behind cover. This affords your friendlies the ability to maneuver on them virtually unopposed. LRMs can punish enemy Mechs attempting to maneuver on/flank your team and keep you safe. LRMS damage the enemies armor so your pretty lasers and badass ballistics can finish them off easier. Pesky Lights? LRMs will scare them off. Dire Whales giving you the blues...sick the LRM boat on them.
Every major successful military in the world used indirect fire. LRMs are indirect fire.
Consider this:
Many people that run LRMs exclusively do so because they have neither the skill, nor the connection speed to allow them to run normal builds. Everyone should be able to play MWo, and if the only way they can is Indirect fire, then cool. They are providing support to you leet front-line fighters.

Many LRM pilots are not a threat...AT ALL. Why? Because it actually takes skill to be a good, effective LRM pilot. One has to have situational awareness at all times. One has to constantly reposition oneself to get the best shot/trajectory on their target. Especially ones using any of the ways to avoid them mentionmed above ^^^^. To do vicious damage, one has to get their TAG on the target while not getting their ass handed to them by the laser/ballistics on the Mech they are shooting at. One has to be good at anticipating enemy Mechs and look for patterns: many times enemy Mechs will come out from cover, shoot, then get back into cover before your LRMs even get 2/3 of the way to his ass. One has to constantly maneuver to stay alive as every enemy Mech, especially Lights are hunting your ass.
Look at the scoreboard after a match. Bad LRM pilots, or those that have bad connections do well under 200 damage...and that damage is spread out over mechs usually. It's the good pilots that can really ruin your day...and there are few of them because, let's face it, though most pilots in this game malign LRM pilots as useless and skill-less, those same pilots probably don't have the skill set to be a good LRM pilot because of how complicated it is.

P.S. One way to reduce LRM usage would be to get rid of or lessen the benefits (Tag and NARC Bonus) of Role Warfare that the DEVS put in the game. How about all the LRM capable mechs that the Devs keep putting in the game...cough cough Maddog cough cough.

Nerf LRMs?... @#$% OFF!

Edited by damonwolf, 25 November 2014 - 09:15 PM.

#33 Bartholomew bartholomew

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,250 posts
  • LocationInner sphere drop point

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:31 PM

I will agree if you get killed by LRM's only you really f'd up. It is usually lurms AND something else. Usually large dakka. But nobody wants to admit they stood in front of an atlas and got AC20'd to death when they can blame the lurm support pilot off to the side of the atlas they decided they could face hug instead.

#34 Kirkland Langue

• Bad Company
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:34 PM

How about "Remove blinding explosions and/or cockpick shake" as a means to fix LRMs?

#35 Alex Warden

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts
  • Location...straying in the Inner Sphere...

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:42 PM

Make BAP work for the carrier only again... narc, tag and uav are enough for target revealing..

rework missle flight trajectory

make LRM LoS dependent, indirect fire ONLY for narced/ tagged targets...

give certain scout mechs a "tag narc reward bonus" quirk

(optional) remove lock ability from UAV, make it an unveiling tool rather than an LRM mass-spotter...

let comman console share their bonuses in a radius similar to ECM, LRMs would indirectly benefit if close to the COMMAND mech...

and finally, give one or 2 more mechs the console.. (orion, commando, raven) maybe even make it so that only scouts with a console can support indirect fire... in exchange raise the missle speed slightly

Edited by Alex Warden, 25 November 2014 - 08:53 PM.

#36 CtrlAltWheee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 610 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:50 PM

Opinions on clan mechs being required to get their own locks as sort of enforced zellbrigen?

#37 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:53 PM

Tried to vote no. Just takes me to a page that says \

HTTP Error 500

There was a problem reading the stream from the Primary HyperPulse generator.

The vote is rigged!

#38 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:53 PM

View PostAlex Warden, on 25 November 2014 - 08:42 PM, said:

Make BAP work for the carrier only again... narc, tag and uav are enough for target revealing..

rework missle flight trajectory

make LRM LoS dependent, indirect fire ONLY for narced/ tagged targets...

give certain scout mechs a "tag narc reward bonus" quirk

(optional) remove lock ability from UAV, make it an unveiling tool rather than an LRM mass-spotter...

let comman console share their bonuses in a radius similar to ECM, LRMs would indirectly benefit if close to the COMMAND mech...

and finally, give one or 2 more mechs the console.. maybe even make it so that only scouts with a console can support indirect fire... in exchange raise the missle speed slightly

Command console is available to all heavy and assault mechs.

ECM should just be fixed, then LRMs can be fixed to how they need to be.

UAVs and Arty spam have always been dumb imo in this game and need to be used less frequently.

If LRMs are direct fire only, then they need to go faster otherwise it is a really crappy streak.

#39 Alex Warden

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts
  • Location...straying in the Inner Sphere...

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:56 PM

View PostBarantor, on 25 November 2014 - 08:53 PM, said:

Command console is available to all heavy and assault mechs.

then why can´t i fit it on my stalker?

UAVs and Arty spam have always been dumb imo in this game and need to be used less frequently.[/size]

yep

If LRMs are direct fire only, then they need to go faster otherwise it is a really crappy streak.

that´s what i also said ...maybe you missed the edit :)

and i wouldn´t call 4 long-range streak 10´s crappy, i like them in my stalker...very fun to use in direct fire...

Edited by Alex Warden, 25 November 2014 - 09:00 PM.

#40 Wolf Clearwater

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 571 posts
  • LocationOn your 6...

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:21 PM

Use cover. Use AMS. If you don't do either, you don't get to cry. Arty/Air strikes are way more game breaking. Nerf those.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users