Too Many Lrms?

432 replies to this topic

Poll: Too many LRM boats? (502 member(s) have cast votes)

Are there too many LRMs present in typical games?

1. Yes (183 votes [36.45%])

Percentage of vote: 36.45%

2. No (242 votes [48.21%])

Percentage of vote: 48.21%

3. Yes, but only during challenges. (77 votes [15.34%])

Percentage of vote: 15.34%

Which way do you consider best to handle LRM over-usage?

1. Nerf LRMs (decrease speed/damage, or increase heat) (55 votes [6.29%])

Percentage of vote: 6.29%

2. Usage dependent on line-of-sight (130 votes [14.86%])

Percentage of vote: 14.86%

3. AMS rewards (to attract more players to use it) (256 votes [29.26%])

Percentage of vote: 29.26%

4. Reduce BAP range (harder to counter ECM) (81 votes [9.26%])

Percentage of vote: 9.26%

5. Improve AMS (group damage, lower hp per missile, etc.) (131 votes [14.97%])

Percentage of vote: 14.97%

6. Adjust LRM flight trajectory (147 votes [16.80%])

Percentage of vote: 16.80%

7. Increase minimum range (17 votes [1.94%])

Percentage of vote: 1.94%

8. Further active countermeasures (PPC hit lock disruption, new modules/equipment besides ECM) (58 votes [6.63%])

Percentage of vote: 6.63%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:26 PM

Are LRMs overpowered? nope.

Do LRMs make the game less fun than it otherwise could be? absolutely.

The problem with LRMs is they simply arnt fun. Nobody likes getting pelted by them. Especially when youre standing behind a cliff that should block them, but then they clip right through it and hit you anyway.

So the changes that LRMs need are not so much for game balance but more to make them more challenging to use as well as make them less irritating and frustrating on the receiving end.

I personally feel indirect LRMs need to be nerfed and direct LRMs need to be buffed. Getting hit by indirect LRMs would no longer be as miserable of an experience. And LRM users would be encouraged more to get direct LoS on whatever theyre shooting at, increasing the skill required to use the weapon at peak effectiveness.

Edited by Khobai, 25 November 2014 - 09:31 PM.

#42 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:35 PM

just make lrms better with line of sight and players will stop boating them.

#43 damonwolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 143 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:37 PM

View PostCtrlAltWheee, on 25 November 2014 - 08:50 PM, said:

Opinions on clan mechs being required to get their own locks as sort of enforced zellbrigen?

No.
1st) MWO has completely broken all lore relating to Clans. Example: No Clanner would use a Warhorn in lore because it wouldn't fit with their honorable form of warfare, and they would never have celebrated kills with audio fist-pumping. Example: Clan and IS Mechs on same team: not in lore. So, no, Zellbrigen does not fit in with the money-grabbing design of MWO.
2nd) LRMs are so slow that by the time they are 2/3 of their way to the target, the target has shot and retreated to cover. It would be unfair to force LRM boats into an unfair form of warfare where they get damaged/killed, but can't adequately do damage back.
3) some LRM pilots can't do Brawling or trade direct fire because of slow computers, bad connections, etc. Indirect is the only way they can fight at times. And you'd force them into direct fire fights where they would be annihilated before they can even react to an enemy or get a lock?
4) Many good pilots already use TAG to get their own targets. I prefer to fight on the front lines and TAG my own. Forcing indirect fire platforms to fire indirectly under direct fire rules would be unfair and just plain @#$%ed up.

The problem with LRMs is they simply arnt fun. Nobody likes getting pelted by them.

The same can be said of Gauss and PPCs.

Edited by damonwolf, 25 November 2014 - 10:06 PM.

#44 kazlaton

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 170 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:04 PM

View PostAlex Warden, on 25 November 2014 - 08:56 PM, said:

then why can´t i fit it on my stalker?

The command console can only be placed in the head. Were you trying to put it somewhere else?

LRMs are fine. But a bonus (cbills or xp) for AMS would be a welcomed addition.

#45 luxebo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:23 PM

View Postdamonwolf, on 25 November 2014 - 09:37 PM, said:

The same can be said of Gauss and PPCs.

Gauss and PPCs are easily counterable. Cover blocks all. But LRMs can hit you even with cover as Khobai said. And if you put this in this flavor: Adders boating Flamers are really ******* scary too.

#46 damonwolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 143 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:29 PM

View Postluxebo, on 25 November 2014 - 10:23 PM, said:

Gauss and PPCs are easily counterable. Cover blocks all. But LRMs can hit you even with cover as Khobai said.

I have never experienced being hit by LRMs through a wall. I suspect it's very rare and only in certain spots in certain battlegrounds. And an extremely rare bug is not a reason to nerf a weapon system. It's not.
As for counter-able, LRMs are the easiest weapon to counter. How easy? I'll repost what I did earlier:

Ways to avoid LRM damage/deaths:
1) Use cover dammit.
2) Stay with ECM/AMS Mechs instead of running off like an idiot...a dead idiot.
3) Get the Module.
4) How about taking a ton and a half from your Mech build and put in a @#$%ing AMS already. What?! Reduce my fire power for defense? What?!
5) Equip an ECM if you can (I see many ECM Mechs without a damn ECM.Grrrrrr).
6) When you have LRMS that are going to hit, swivvel your Mech from side to side to spread damage across your Mechs Torsos and arms.
7) Twist your torso using an arm as a shield.
8) Get in his face and kick his teeth in. Clan LRMs are worthless close in, and IS LRMS do zero damage within 180 meters.
If you aren't doing most of these, then don't b!tch about LRMs. PERIOD.

#47 Alex Warden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts
  • Location...straying in the Inner Sphere...

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:42 PM

View PostKhobai, on 25 November 2014 - 09:26 PM, said:

The problem with LRMs is they simply arnt fun. Nobody likes getting pelted by them. Especially when youre standing behind a cliff that should block them, but then they clip right through it and hit you anyway.

So the changes that LRMs need are not so much for game balance but more to make them more challenging to use as well as make them less irritating and frustrating on the receiving end.

I personally feel indirect LRMs need to be nerfed and direct LRMs need to be buffed. Getting hit by indirect LRMs would no longer be as miserable of an experience. And LRM users would be encouraged more to get direct LoS on whatever theyre shooting at, increasing the skill required to use the weapon at peak effectiveness.

this... plus an addition towards those who bring up the old "ams and cover" argument... i take cover when ever i can...most of the time that works, sometimes not...

what really pisses me off is when you play smart all the time, have really good start, could become a good match... then out of a sudden you get rained down on for less than 5 seconds and you can kiss your mech good bye, because there are boats out there, somewhere behind 5 hills that, no matter how, get a lock on you, because... well you know... you have to move sometimes to PLAY the game... it´s not that LRMs in them selves are op, but the ridiculous ammount of them out of no where...

sure, if 4 or 5 ac-mechs corner you, you get the same effect, but those have to go face to face with you -meaning have to deal with the others in your team as well - and not just stand back and wait for an uav...

and i know what i´m talking about... i got an LRM Stalker, too... anyone who claims it needs anywhere close ammounts of skill as with other setups, simply lies... it IS an easy mode weapon that in the right hands becomes even more ugly...

Edited by Alex Warden, 25 November 2014 - 11:47 PM.

#48 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:58 PM

Your poll lack something.
"Use cover". For the solution against LRMS.

#49 Breaker76

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 12:03 AM

View PostAlex Warden, on 25 November 2014 - 08:42 PM, said:

Make BAP work for the carrier only again... narc, tag and uav are enough for target revealing..

rework missle flight trajectory

make LRM LoS dependent, indirect fire ONLY for narced/ tagged targets...

give certain scout mechs a "tag narc reward bonus" quirk

(optional) remove lock ability from UAV, make it an unveiling tool rather than an LRM mass-spotter...

let comman console share their bonuses in a radius similar to ECM, LRMs would indirectly benefit if close to the COMMAND mech...

and finally, give one or 2 more mechs the console.. (orion, commando, raven) maybe even make it so that only scouts with a console can support indirect fire... in exchange raise the missle speed slightly

I totaly agree and also reduce at least to half the effects of blinding explosions and cockpit shake as a means to fix LRM and dakkas volleys , at least to have a chance to shoot back at your opponent.

#50 MikeBend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 536 posts
  • LocationUnderhive

Posted 26 November 2014 - 12:14 AM

If i understand this correctly, BAP doesnt allow you to target ECM protected enemies, if the ECM provider mech stays out of BAP range i.e. it doesnt get jammed. So just by hanging at the back of an Assault lance with ECM Spider, just outside of enemy BAP range makes for perfect anti LRM umbrella. Thats what i like to do in my Spider. Its a pity i dont get any bonuses for it, so match scores are on the lower side, but i find pleasure in watching clear skies above my team. So, LRMs are fine.

#51 Kh0rn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 12:18 AM

I feel its all too do with how many mechs can mount. Unless that chassis was created for such purpose like the Catapult it should be restricted too the number of LRMS it is able too mount. For example the AS7-D came with a single LRM- 20 for long range I feel it should have that as its only LRM slot it can mount one type of LRM. This would allow mechs too carry some LRM's and the dedicated boats who were created too do it for fill their intended rolls.

#52 Revorn

• The Patron
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 01:19 AM

If someone dies to my 4 LRM5, he dies to his own greed.

There is actual a reward for taking AMS, its called "Protection", so no futher Reward is needed, imho

Btw: i cant Vote simply No. pls Check your Poll.

Edited by Revorn, 26 November 2014 - 01:21 AM.

#53 Otto Cannon

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 November 2014 - 01:23 AM

Your poll is bad and you should feel bad.

#54 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 26 November 2014 - 01:34 AM

Why is there no Learn to Play option in the checkboxes?

#55 s0hno

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 128 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:16 AM

Your poll lack something.
"Use cover". For the solution against LRMS.

That can quite adequately be answered by:

And the poll is supposed to offer solutions for that issue, not reasons.

#56 s0hno

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 128 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:22 AM

Your poll is bad and you should feel bad.

Your post is stupid and you should feel stupid.

But instead of barking out senseless flameposts, you could propose actual improvements, and i will change that.

Edited by s0hno, 26 November 2014 - 02:46 AM.

#57 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:26 AM

Why cannot I vote "NO"?

It gives me error :)

LRM, terribad weapon that should be buffed.

#58 s0hno

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 128 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:49 AM

Well the discussion appears to turn out to be LRM-players flaming everyone to be stupid noobs, and actual proposals being ignored. A little sad, I expected more from this community. Then I'm back out of pug games and will again only play league arranged 12 drops, the only way to play actual mechwarrior.

#59 tm10067

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:57 AM

Just turn off free for all C3 network and everything will be ok. Want free target - use narc.

#60 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 03:01 AM

I always felt that LRMs were a bit strong but starting this month the last patch I think it settled to just right and I don't feel playing dirty using it. Setting everything back to the lore values that I think is as far as it should go.

I also changed my style a bit and its done wonders. Every PUG seems to be a collection of 12 individualists --- people who picked their mechs to play their favorite styles but don't exactly adjust to the team. They see themselves as brawlers, snipers and skimishers but not as supporters. I packed LRMs on my Mad Dogs to play as a support vehicle, not aimed to maximize kill death ratios but to win games. Now it feels like I am winning more games recently, and losses don't go down with a stomp but with a strong fight to the finish. The atttritional damage LRMs present, even if they don't commit to kills, create heavily damaged mechs to the enemy that it counters the focus fire cascading stomps --- makes it easier for a numerically disadvantaged team to come back, since a few healthy mechs can still counter several damaged and vulnerable to a single shot ones.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users