133 replies to this topic

#1 The Ferguson

Rookie

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 5 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:09 AM

I'm not quite sure how people may feel about them, but there's nothing more that I hate in a light than running into an enemy mech with 5-6 C-SSRM6 and just getting insta killed from one button, and if it doesn't one shot then it basically leaves you useless or legged. I can't understand how shooting this many missiles wouldn't leave you shutdown from all the heat it produces. I would like to hear other's opinions on the matter as I think I can't be the only one with this problem and would like to also receive an objective view from anyone else who may disagree .

P.S.

Yes I know the idea is to not get close to these guys but sometimes turning a corner or just randomly stumbling upon one with this build is bound to happen and it's basically a free kill for the C-SSRM guy.

#2 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:16 AM

It does suck, it has happened to me before too.

It seems to be accepted as ok now. Back in closed beta, Streak Cats and Splat Cats were a scourge and people MF'd them all up an down the forums. At least those mechs had big ears to knock out and leave them helpless. Still, the Streak and Splat Cats got nerfed pretty good. Now SSRMs don't CT seek and the ears on the A1 are massive (just look at the Cat A1's ears now, they are each about the size of Texas).

Now the Storm Crow can mount them with no decernable hitbox weakness and people are cool with it (maybe because they don't CT seek as bad, IDK). Don't know what much else to say I suppose. Just try not to run into one as best you can.

#3 The Boz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:18 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 25 November 2014 - 03:16 AM, said:

the ears on the A1 are massive (just look at the Cat A1's ears now, they are each about the size of Texas).

They're about the size of Texas when empty, or with one weapon each. They grow to pure USSR proportions if you put two or better yet, three of anything, including SRM2. I guess a 6xSRM2 Cat-A1 scared someone somewhere once.

#4 Shae Starfyre

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationThe Fringe

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:21 AM

I cannot stand the inpunity of lights and will use this build on occassion as revenge and I do not like the build...it is only for when I get pissed at lights.

#5 Edustaja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:23 AM

These are actually good game design. A build that is really a rock paper scissors type of deal.

Godly against lights, kinda meh against mediums and absolutely sucks ass against heavies and assaults.

Imagine that an actual opportunity to counter play your enemy in a game like MWO where you usually just boat the biggest rock :o

#6 The Ferguson

Rookie

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 5 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:24 AM

View PostAphoticus, on 25 November 2014 - 03:21 AM, said:

I cannot stand the inpunity of lights and will use this build on occassion as revenge and I do not like the build...it is only for when I get pissed at lights.

Lol same reason I rock 2xgauss on a Jager; to get revenge on the Dires.

#7 Shae Starfyre

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationThe Fringe

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:29 AM

View PostThe Ferguson, on 25 November 2014 - 03:24 AM, said:

It's never the pilot, it's the mech....I only get mad at the mech...weird, actually.

Edited by Aphoticus, 25 November 2014 - 03:29 AM.

#8 Curccu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:33 AM

View PostThe Ferguson, on 25 November 2014 - 03:24 AM, said:

Dire with 2x gauss and shitloads of energy weapons can fight back... and one shot that jagers XL ;)
most light mechs can't really do that to C-SSRM boats

#9 The Ferguson

Rookie

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 5 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:36 AM

View Postsneeking, on 25 November 2014 - 03:23 AM, said:

Hey, when you turn a corner and get spooged in the face there realy isn't anything you can do.

It happens.

There are many builds that can combo you this way.

I understand where you're coming from on this but from what I can recall from all the loadouts I've seen, this is the only one that can literally lock and press one button for free kill, whereas any other weapon (except LRMs of course) actually requires you to aim. I think this is further backed by how BAP has completely removed ECM from close range encounters after its recent buff. Just my thoughts.

#10 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:53 AM

View PostThe Ferguson, on 25 November 2014 - 03:36 AM, said:

I understand where you're coming from on this but from what I can recall from all the loadouts I've seen, this is the only one that can literally lock and press one button for free kill, whereas any other weapon (except LRMs of course) actually requires you to aim. I think this is further backed by how BAP has completely removed ECM from close range encounters after its recent buff. Just my thoughts.

Reminds me of that cheap pistol in Titanfall. Someone thought a pistol with autoaim was a good idea. One of the reasons I don't play Titanfall anymore.

#11 RustyBolts

• The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:58 AM

I run this build as a counter to IS lights and mediums. It sucks against heavies or assaults unless they have open Ct/ST. It is a high risk/high reward build that is not an easy button all the time. Although there are some who make it easy for you.

You first have to get a lock. If a light is moving in close across the face and back it is harder to get a lock. The farther you are away and more straight line you run it is easier to get a lock.

The build is very ammo dependent and when you are out, you are a stick.

It does generate a lot of heat. You can maybe get two alphas before you have to hide and cool down. Against lights this not a problem. Against any thing else and you are now getting pounded.

It has a long cool down so you have to take a beating between volleys.

#12 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:10 AM

I suggest a extreme reduction in damage. As in at least half. I guess you Could decrease the reload time to make up for it (though it wouldn't bother me if they just reduced the damage :) ).

#13 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:33 AM

My unit tried to use Stormcrows armed with 5xC-SSRM6 against light mechs in MRBC and RHoD leagues. We failed miserably.
Firestarters and Oxides ate our legs in seconds. Even with TAG and Artemis the lock takes simply too much time. And radar deprivation makes you constantly loose it.

C-SRM6s are so much better. Twice the DPS and no firing delay.

#14 Darzok

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 255 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:55 AM

I think there needed given how badly broken the hitreg is on most lights allowing them to eat 100+ points of damage across there legs or right in to the CT and walk off as if all you did was give them a mean look.

There fairly slow weapons lock time and ROF so its not like if you get in to a fight and bang instant pop you have a small window to jump behind cover or run past and break the lock.

Then we got the weakness vs lights with long range weapons a LL or PPC allows them to run around taking pot shots with out risk form the C-SSRM been in range to hit them.

Edited by Darzok, 25 November 2014 - 04:58 AM.

#15 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:38 AM

View PostKmieciu, on 25 November 2014 - 04:33 AM, said:

My unit tried to use Stormcrows armed with 5xC-SSRM6 against light mechs in MRBC and RHoD leagues. We failed miserably.
Firestarters and Oxides ate our legs in seconds. Even with TAG and Artemis the lock takes simply too much time. And radar deprivation makes you constantly loose it.

C-SRM6s are so much better. Twice the DPS and no firing delay.

I would say you picked bad area to engage and/or scouting failed, C-SSRMs can be shot to ~380meters and about 2 volleys from StreakCrow will destroy or critically cripple any light mech,

(My unit has also used SSRMs in MRBC/RHOD and mostly succesfully.)

#16 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:44 AM

Sorry about that

You know something is working when they cry on the forum

My streak wolf is my best Mech after the TW nerf

I posted this on a thread I started in the new player section

"
Well I tried them yet again managed to kill my own guy but can’t seem to kill the red team

In theory it should be the best weapon in the game

Lock on fire and forget
The description “Short range missile system that fires 6 tracking missiles that will always hit their intended target"

This should be changed to-- Short range rockets that hit the ground buildings your own team mates and sometimes the enemy--

BAP and targeting computer really speeds up targeting time so I did learn something

Oh in case anyone is wondering a rocket is unguided and a missile is guided"

OP Lights have been terrorizing the game
They go and do what they want they would take out my Jager in seconds of course I never cried about it

Now if a light has damage then one shot will finish them off (sometimes)
On the training grounds it takes 3 shots of 24 to take out a light

To get them to work half a decent I carry CBAP and 4 tons of targeting computer
Streak cool down module and streak range module

I know that CBAP hasn’t changed that much because I pack the thing every day I just don't say anything

It’s a dangerous build and one that has been nerfed they allow me two kills then turn them off like a switch

It’s like a 6 or 7 second recycle rate plus the targeting time

A lot of time I get my face shot off trying to use them

These things really need an auto lock on and beyond visual lock on

If you see a TW chasing you a light they might have streaks
It makes lights think twice about running in blindly

Oh sometimes I type hey red team I going to inset these missiles fin first

Edited by Davegt27, 25 November 2014 - 07:42 AM.

#17 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:44 AM

It's a situational weapon. If you happen to fall into that "situation" then tough.

It's no different than stumbling into a WubMachine of Death (6x LPL of anything).

#18 Apocryph0n

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 325 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:47 AM

Every 'Mech has a counter. Congrats, you found the counter to lights :P

Charge him with a Heavy and see how he dies horribly. Charge said heavy in a Firestarter and 2 shot his rear armor.

#19 Mercules

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:49 AM

I ran my Stormcrow with that many -once-. Then I learned all the draw backs. At that point I swapped out the arm mounted ones for normal CSRM 6s. You don't run into Ghost Heat, can still get lock on with the arms while firing your regular SRMs, the arm mounted ones fire faster giving you a bit more DPS.

#20 Jetfire

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:54 AM

I would change the C-streaks to fire in a stream like the LRM's, drop the range a little and give the 6 pack some extra heat penalties for Alpha of more than 3. One click insta kill is not really Rock, Paper, Scissors in a good sense but in the most extreme sense. Hard counter builds are fine, but one click lock on kills are a bit too far on the extreme end to be called good game design in my opinion.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users