- - - - -

Swapping Torso And Arm Xhairs

9 replies to this topic

#1 ManOpeace

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:59 AM

I have a hard time using mechs with arms because I always tend to aim with the torso crosshairs as it is more visible. any chance I could swap the torso Xhair with the ones that are for the arms?

#2 Milocinia

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationAvalon City, New Avalon

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:15 AM

I always use the arm lock function in the options. While it's not the answer you're looking for, it does help rubbish players like me because I really struggle with arm and torso weapon co-ordination :D

If you hold the shift key it unlocks the arms from the torso if you have arm lock enabled. Likewise if you don't have arm lock enabled, holding shift will temporarily lock the arms to the torso reticle.

Hope that helps improve your aiming.

#3 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:21 AM

No, you cannot change the crosshairs. There are currently no options for adjusting the HUD.

You can simply "lock" your arms if you really want to, though, making all mechs lock the arm reticule to the torso reticule. The Options menu allows for permanent arm-lock, or a press&hold toggle or a on/off toggle depending on your keybinds. you can set left-shift to toggle arm-lock then use it on whnever you need to

#4 ManOpeace

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:32 AM

Thanks everyone. I know about the arm lock toggle buttons. Its just my aim is so awful when I go to use my arms to shoot something above me or below me or circling me.

#5 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,658 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:09 PM

Log into Practice drops. I think you mean the movement of torso mounted weapons. Torso vertical/horizontal range is limited so any torso mounted weapons are also restricted in their range of movement. The speed of the tracking is also limited.

The Arm unlock allows you to move arm mounted weapons farther, both horizontal and vertical, and that is where that particular feature comes into play, as it allows you to better track a mech (light/med) or mechs at different altitudes.

So when deciding on what mech to obtain and how to equip it, arm vs torso mounted weapons should be taken into consideration.

After that, if your mouse does not have an adjustable DPI setup, adjust the mouse sensitivity in the game options to slow how how fast the mouse tracking moves. It is set at 1.0 by default, iirc, move it to the 50% mark then lower or increase it to your liking.

#6 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 04:31 AM

You just have to get used to it. That took me a while too.

Other alternatives are mechs with only torso weapons or only arm weapons.

Edited by dragnier1, 26 November 2014 - 04:31 AM.

#7 Shaemus Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 03:20 PM

Arm lock can be left on for light mechs because they turn faster. If you practice how to turn and when to stop the turn to aim your crosshairs with light mechs, it can be done. I use the D button on the keyboard as "Forward" E = "Reverse S = "Turn left" F = "Turn right" and use the A key for "Center torso" and use it to help turn faster. It gets choppy sometimes, so you may not want to aim while centering your torso.

Bigger, heavier mechs have more problems keeping arm lock engaged, because they turn slower than lights do. I use Left Shift to toggle arm lock when running anything larger than a light. Practice will tell you when it needs to be toggled. Koniving has some good videos showing arm lock being toggled on and off in the New player help thread titled... "Hey Hey" (I had questions about arm lock.)

Long winded post...sorry.

#8 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 26 November 2014 - 03:36 PM

Well if you want you could always view the crosshairs as a stick figure. -l- being your body (torso mounted weapons) and when you hold your arms out like a 'mech and make a fist with each hand they kind of make a o shape (arm mounted weapons)

It kind of helps me in that fashion to remember which is which. Though I understand it does get confusing how the o part of the reticule assists with torso mounted LRM/SSRM lockons instead of the -l- part of the reticule.

As for clan 'mechs it's the same deal for the arm mounted weapons but instead of the -l- for the torso mounted it's a giant X so.. just have to picture someone doing jumping jacks?

#9 happy mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 03:46 PM

we need custom crosshairs (user puts few images (arm, torso, normal, damage) with specific names in some game directory and game loads them as a custom crosshair you can use), aiming with arms is nearly impossible on some maps

#10 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 04:16 PM

I'd much prefer if the whole crosshair moved, cross and circle together, and the game just had a diagonally-oriented duplicate crosshair for the torso weapons so that they'd overlay each other when centered. Either that or the cross needs to be seriously tightened up because right now it's pretty horribly oversized for precision aiming when the circle's deflected. I guess that's a penalty for being able to shoot in two different directions at once, but... I'd like to have my cake and eat it too, thanks. XD

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users