• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:34 PM

Dual AC/5's on a -1N anyone?

Better DPS than my quad -5 Jag?

Like... wth?

Don't say it too loud, it'll get nerfed. ;)

#2 Konril

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 214 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 08:42 PM

I'm having trouble verifying this.

While I don't have any Dragons (25% ballistic + 25% AC/5 cooldown), I do have a WVR-6R (20% ballistic + 20% AC/5 cooldown) and a maxed AC/5 cooldown module (10% cooldown).

With the Wolverine (50% cooldown including module) it seems to be taking me 14 seconds to get through the center torso of on Atlas in the testing grounds. My CTF-4x Cataphract (12.5% ballistic cooldown) seems to be able to do it in 11 seconds with 4 AC/5s. My JM6-S Jagermech (7.5% ballsictics cooldown) seems to want to do it in 15 seconds with 3 UAC/5 cannons if I just hold the trigger for a standard fire rate. So it's looking to be a lot like 2 AC/5s + 50% cooldown = 3 AC/5s approximately. The 4 AC/5 setup is still stronger, at least while the ammo lasts.

But the scary thing is that the performances of these machines are so close that I would expect in an actual duel, the winner would be determined by actual skill and tactics as opposed to just numbers.

#3 BOWMANGR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 220 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 01:29 PM

People are just overreacting to that Dragon-1N quirk. It's all over the place. I'm a Dragon pilot, I have ~1500 drops in a Dragon. I know how to pilot one, how to kill one and what my mech can and cannot do.

If an unsuspecting pilot reads the forums he will get the impression that a Dragon-1N is now a DPS god that can wreck anything in its path, win tournaments and glory and so on. Well, no. You can't auto-win like you could in Invasion-day TimberWolf or like you can still do in your Direwolf when low ELO players come towards you to brawl.

It's now better mech than before but it is certainly not a god and I seem to find it a bit funny whenever I meet another Dragon on the battlefield and recognize that the other pilot has almost no experience piloting a Dragon. He has the "meta-build" and still dies horribly. Dragons need experience. Countering Dragons requires knowing their vulnerabilities, the Dragon was obsolete before the quirk patch so many people don't know how to handle them. When they do, even those who got some lucky over the top ratings with the "DPS build" will wither and die, leaving those who are willing to learn to pilot the mech effectively and the veteran pilots that piloted Dragons even though everyone was calling them crap.
There aren't any magical Dragon builds that hand out free wins, so let's just stop presenting it like fact that the Dragon needs a nerf please? Of all the mechs that need nerfs the Dragon is the last one that comes in mind.

So stop it already. Thank you forum.

Edited by BOWMANGR, 27 November 2014 - 01:53 PM.

#4 Bigbacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 02:37 PM

like anything else it is situational. sometimes it works great other times not so much. it certainly isn't OP but it is tons of fun (as are all the dragons)

#5 Soulscour

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:33 AM

To me the dragon 1N was not so great during the victor challenge. It pumps out lots of damage, and then dies to CT or xl.

#6 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 10:46 AM

View PostBigbacon, on 27 November 2014 - 02:37 PM, said:

like anything else it is situational. sometimes it works great other times not so much. it certainly isn't OP but it is tons of fun (as are all the dragons)

Essentially this.

View PostKonril, on 26 November 2014 - 08:42 PM, said:

I'm having trouble verifying this.

You probably won't just MathHammering. (Note the disclaimer "My Jags"). Entirely down to pilot error and very little playtime... with more pilot error during the established playtime.
I've had Dragons since they were first patched in.... since they were CB's very first patched in mech ever in fact, and am a terrible Dragon pilot due to impatience.

(Top AC/5 cooldown is 12.5% idn't it?? I could be wong)

Put this down more to being surprised at how much they were quirked. :) While hitboxes and so forth will still make them hard mode for most players and an acquired taste for some... AC/5's rocking in 50% faster than they used to was amusing and fun.

Edited by juxstapo, 29 November 2014 - 10:47 AM.

#7 Kassatsu

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 29 November 2014 - 04:55 PM

The DRG-1N (and WVR-6R, YLW and CN9-AH for that matter) are jokes if their pilots are bad and the enemy knows where to shoot (protip: It's the arm with the giant gun barrel(s) on it).

If they're being smart, hiding their arm whenever someone so much as looks at the same continent they're on and are going out of their way to flank and generally NOT think they're a dire wolf when they see an enemy, they can do some serious damage. The AC20 ones are particularly good for that, as the WVR and DRG require you to stare your enemy down, nova style.

I'll go ahead and throw the HBK-4G in there as well, given its crazy AC20 buff.

And yes, I'm pretty sure the AC5 cooldown module is 12.5%.

Edited by Kassatsu, 29 November 2014 - 04:56 PM.

#8 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 08:37 PM

I have not even glanced at the Quasimodo's yet... hurmmm

#9 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 30 November 2014 - 04:26 PM

I bought the N and Fang yesterday after noticing the quirks on them being borderline unfair. The N has seen more battles than the Fang and has as many wins as losses, where as the Fang seems to be enjoying a ridiculous and likely short lived 5 game winning streak and 10 kills to 1 death. The Dragon has been one of the worst Mechs in the game until recently so players tend to underestimate it. I've taken out over zealous Timberwolf and Victor pilots in one on one brawls because they see the pair of AC5s but don't notice the nearly doubled rate of fire. Once people know that they merely need to shoot off the right arm it will fade back to the rear of the battlefield. For now though, these special little snowflakes are very playable and piss easy to pilot. There is very little nuance to poking your arm round a corner and holding down the fire button. Don't tell that to the hardcore Dragon pilots though, they probably need the validation that the chassis requires any amount of skill to pilot as justification for all the pre-quirk pain they endured piloting these walking centre torsos :)

#10 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 04:53 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 30 November 2014 - 04:26 PM, said:

For now though, these special little snowflakes are very playable and piss easy to pilot. There is very little nuance to poking your arm round a corner and holding down the fire button. Don't tell that to the hardcore Dragon pilots though, they probably need the validation that the chassis requires any amount of skill to pilot as justification for all the pre-quirk pain they endured piloting these walking centre torsos :)

Shame on you Ricky, that uncalled for semi-flame fest was funnier than it should've been. LoL

However, Good Dragon Pilots are awesome and in short supply and all. (Bromantic nod to PuppeteerXerxes, rocking Dragons hard when we first met.)

Edited by juxstapo, 30 November 2014 - 04:54 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users