- - - - -

Returning Player - A Lot Has Changed?

17 replies to this topic

#1 TheJs

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 68 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:20 PM

Hi guys, I took a break for a long time,and I am thinking of returning to MWO. The last time I played was when the heat scaling thing was implemented, where if you shoot more than X of a certain weapon they produce more heat than usual. Also I think the one-time coolant pod/shot thing was just introduced.

I am so excited to see so many new Mechs, Clan Mechs too! But a lot seems to have changed so I was hoping to get a little guidance to put me back on my feet.
  • What are the biggest changes recently?
  • Any recommended resources for me to catch up on? What are the useful guides or websites? I know mwo smurfy was quite good for trying out builds.
  • How can I find more info on the more intricate mechanics such as heat scaling? I remember it was announced Clan mechs work a little differently.
  • Is ECM still super-powerfu? haha :)
EDIT: Also has the ping for EU improved?

Edited by TheJs, 25 November 2014 - 08:26 PM.

#2 Molossian Dog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:43 PM

View PostTheJs, on 25 November 2014 - 08:20 PM, said:

• Any recommended resources for me to catch up on? What are the useful guides or websites? I know mwo smurfy was quite good for trying out builds.

You might want to check the IS Mech quirk system. Gives each mech variant certain bonuses to specific weapons or weapon groups. Lots of discussion followed. Clanners whine until they get their own buffs.

EDIT: Link

https://static.mwome...re%20Quirks.pdf

And if you should wonder...no...noone has bothered to format the list in a way that results in less than 30+ pages.
I made one for myself to print it out, because I am not going to scroll or thumb through dozens of pages.

View PostTheJs, on 25 November 2014 - 08:20 PM, said:

EDIT: Also has the ping for EU improved?

By a few FPS. Like around 5 for me.

Edited by Molossian Dog, 25 November 2014 - 08:46 PM.

#3 senaiboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 372 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:54 PM

FPS is not related to ping though. But yeah, ping's improved by ~10 for me (UK) since they moved the servers.

BAP is now countering ECM up to 360m, so ECM isn't as powerful as before.

Edited by senaiboy, 25 November 2014 - 09:05 PM.

#4 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:15 PM

The UI has been completely redone since you left. You'll probably hate the mechlab. Good news is PGI is aware of the complaints and hopefully will address them at the beginning of next year. Before that though, Community warfare phase 2 is under development and will be deployed in time for Christmas. You can already form merc units (CW phase 1, Association). Check the Command Chair for dev posts. Also, PGI has split from their publisher IGP and are now fully in control. There has been a marked increase in communication, in particular, from Russ. He has done 3 town hall meetings with NGNG. You can find the videos on NGNG's Twitch and Youtube pages. They are lengthy so I'd only recommend watching them if you feel it's worth the time to hear questions Russ answered. One of the town halls was over the past history and development of MWO.

#5 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:20 PM

Oh and Clan weapons are different in that the ACs shoot multiple shots instead of one bullet, the lasers have a longer burn time, the LRMs fire out as a stream instead of at once. Clan mechs can swap omnipods which are the body parts like a right leg or left torso with another one from a different variant. Each omnipod has a set of quirks and hardpoints so if you don't like the hardpoints of one you can swap with another. The CT cannot be swapped and uniquely identifies the mech for XP purposes. Clan mechs have fixed slots for jump jets, armor, engines, and structure. But clan tech requires fewer slots anyway.

#6 Karpundir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 395 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:36 PM

You certainly have a lot to catch up on, but there are resources that can help you with shortening the re-learning curve.

A good website to check out is Gman129's new website MetaMechs. Here, you will find great builds for which to take advantage of the current quirks for IS mechs, as well as best builds for Clan Mechs.

Clan Mechs are a fair bit stronger than IS Mechs of equivalent tonnage, due to the built-in case for each component and the fact that the XL engine doesn't kill your mech when you lose only 1 of the side torsos (when you do lose a side torso, you also lose the equivalent of 3 heat sinks, but generally, it balances out with the lost weapons most of the time and isn't noticeable).

A LOT of Mech and Weapon Modules have been introduced since you have been gone. Save that GXP for the unlocks, as you will be using it for the cooldown and range buffs for your favourite builds.

For IS Mechs, you will find some old, rarely used chassis back in vogue, as there have been some really good quirks (all quirks released recently were buffs). Favourites of mine are:

TDR-5SS - 7 MPLs, STD 315, Endo, DHS (runs VERY cool... IS pulses are now the same heat as regular IS lasers and this Mech's quirks include range, cooldown and less heat gen for MPLs specifically)

DRG-1N - 2 AC 5, 1 ML and about 8-8.5 tons of ammo (oh yeah, ammo now comes in half tons, too!) - the rapid speed of the cooldown and velocity of the AC 5 quirk for this Dragon is likely going to face a reduction to the quirk, because it has been ridiculously good for rapid fire (think AC2) for damage.

BNC-3E - a new Mech for you, but the best IS assault right now, due to the ability to run 3 x AC5 (yep, you want those AC 5 modules!) and 2LL or 4 ML for some all range damage. This thing is a beast with the ability to repeatedly land 15pts of dmg in just over a second for about a solid 15-20 seconds depending on the map (and that is without the lasers).

Wolverines - there are great quirks to all 3 and they all have their uses: 7K is the SRM brawler (yep, SRMs are fixed, too), the 6K is the 3-4 Large Pulse Laser "WubVerine" and the 6R packs a high DPS punch by running 2 x AC5s and SRMs.

If you love Light Mechs, you are in for a treat. The Firestarters are a new chassis that are a must have. Get the FS9-A (8 SPL), FS9-H (MLs) and, if you are into Hero Mechs, The Ember, which runs nice and cool with 4 MLs and 4 MGs.

There is more, but I have given you a shortlist of the very best in IS Mechs today.

For Clan Mechs, they are much, much more expensive. If you gotta have one, the best ones to get are (in order): Timberwolves (75 ton and best Heavy in the game), Stormcrows (55 ton and best Med in the game), Dire Wolves (high powered 100 ton turret with ability to run 2-3 Gauss plus 4 ER MLs, 6 Clan UACs or mix and match to have 70+ dmg alphas).

Poptarting isn't much of a thing anymore due to Jump Jet thrust and height scale nerfs, torso twist (when jumping) nerfs, added heat when jumping and longer recharge time of the JJs that scale with quantity. There is now fall damage, so you have to save some of that thrust for a softer landing or take leg damage.

The game is also much faster paced now, ever since the Clan Mechs arrived, pilots have speed and power and have forced more mobility into matches.

If you bought any MC or packs for cash, there are also rewards as seen in this post. You may find yourself the proud new owner of an Atlas-S or CN9-AH!

Those are the highlights I give to anyone asking who has been away a while. I hope you find the game enjoyable now. I have never left since closed beta, so I can vouch that the game is in a pretty good place even though balance between IS and Clan needs some more work. Everyone is really looking forward to Community Warfare in a few weeks, so there will be plenty to talk about on that front really soon.

Welcome back!

Edited by Karpundir, 25 November 2014 - 10:47 PM.

#7 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 04:26 AM

I myself don't keep track of all those changes, too many to remember. You can find some of them on smurfy, but i'm not sure if it's up to date...

#8 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 26 November 2014 - 06:10 AM

View Postdragnier1, on 26 November 2014 - 04:26 AM, said:

I myself don't keep track of all those changes, too many to remember. You can find some of them on smurfy, but i'm not sure if it's up to date...

Smurfy pulls its info directly from the game files so tends to be completely up to date for any data it references. It's only because of the site holder possibly lagging behind that some data my not be present at any time (C-bill values for Novas were long absent for instance). Though usually he's very up to date, which is remarkable and commendable as I believe he doesn't even play the game anymore.

#9 Ryokens leap

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 26 November 2014 - 09:18 AM

Read the patch notes.

#10 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 26 November 2014 - 09:47 AM

Reading the patch notes is a good place to start, but that won't tell you things like, "SRMs are broken again".

Right now, the game mechanics are favoring Pulse lasers if you can believe it. Regular Laser registry is working pretty good too. SRMs however, are messed up again. It's like they fix one issue, and it messes up something else with regard to hit registration.

LRMs are still a nuisance weapon, especially with all the Clan LRM heavy loadouts. It's easy to counter though using Cover, AMS, ECM, etc.

The rewards are very different now. TAG and NARC are more worthwhile on light mechs because of the reward bonuses. The Patch notes are not correct on the current state of rewards. You'll have to check multiple announcement threads to see all the changes made to rewards.

Those are some of the major changes from my point of view, YMMV.

Jody

#11 Shin Ken

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 73 posts
  • LocationLower Saxony, Germany

Posted 26 November 2014 - 04:11 PM

Hi!

The last time I played MWO seriously, the game was still in closed beta, but I thought about giving it a try again, esp. with the upcoming community warfare! (which was the reason I left because I was really missing some kind of warfare context (which was advertised even before the closed beta :D ))

View PostKarpundir, on 25 November 2014 - 10:36 PM, said:

If you bought any MC or packs for cash, there are also rewards as seen in this post. You may find yourself the proud new owner of an Atlas-S or CN9-AH!

Have these been awarded automatically or should I have done anything to claim these?

Another question:
Will I be able to take my rusted 2 years old mechs loadouts to the battlefield or was there a wipe after september 2012 or a patch which probably broke them or made them obsolete? How much time will it take to make these competitive again? (I had a founder catapult and a hero fang dragon (which I never played unfortunately))

#12 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:35 AM

View PostShin Ken, on 26 November 2014 - 04:11 PM, said:

Hi!

The last time I played MWO seriously, the game was still in closed beta, but I thought about giving it a try again, esp. with the upcoming community warfare! (which was the reason I left because I was really missing some kind of warfare context (which was advertised even before the closed beta :D ))

Have these been awarded automatically or should I have done anything to claim these?

Another question:
Will I be able to take my rusted 2 years old mechs loadouts to the battlefield or was there a wipe after september 2012 or a patch which probably broke them or made them obsolete? How much time will it take to make these competitive again? (I had a founder catapult and a hero fang dragon (which I never played unfortunately))

If you don't automatically get the free mech for buying MC (as part of your Founder pack--it counts for the perk), you may be able to persuade Support to give it to you.
There was a complete wipe going from closed beta to open beta in Oct of 2012 but never in open beta or since. Closest thing we had was a stat archive and reset.
Your founder mech will be in it's original form. Which one do you have? We can give you build recommendations. Also, instead of a 25% cbill bonus, it is now 30%.

Edit: Saw your mechs. The catapult is not the strongest mech but it's not obsolete. It does well with XL engines. The biggest change is the dynamic weapon modules that mechs have (all but a few old models have be retrofitted with the art). The base chassis is identical for all variants, but as you put on weapons, it adds pods or coverplates and updates the model to display how it's loaded. In the case of the catapult, any missles added to the arms past the first will show up as external pods instead of covered up. most people hate this. also, all the arms are the same size now for all the variants. So some model updates are cool and some of them are silly.
The Hero dragon I can't speak to as I have never piloted dragons. Of course it has it's cbill boost and now all IS mechs have a slew of quirks. Hover over the mech in the mechlab and see which weapons are specifically buffed on that variant.

Edited by TheCaptainJZ, 27 November 2014 - 12:41 AM.

#13 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:46 AM

Ok, Smurfy data shows the the Fang has specific quirk buffs for ac10 and lg pulse lasers. So try using that as a medium range fire support/skirmisher
The founder catapult is the C1 I believe which has quirk buffs for lrm 15 which is what it comes equiped with. I always liked the default loadout on that mech. You can replace a medium laser with TAG to cut through ECM and speed up missile locks.

#14 TheJs

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 06:39 AM

Wow thanks for all the replies, they are all really useful. Meta Mechs was a good place to get an overview of the meta. The explanation of some of the weapon changes are so useful, hard to glean that unless I read every footnote of mwo smurfy. (And man, there is a whole world of mechs now!) I have not been able to play yet, since I have not been able to allow my computer 14 hours to download the install, haha. No pause too :(

View PostJody Von Jedi, on 26 November 2014 - 09:47 AM, said:

Reading the patch notes is a good place to start, but that won't tell you things like, "SRMs are broken again".

Right now, the game mechanics are favoring Pulse lasers if you can believe it. Regular Laser registry is working pretty good too. SRMs however, are messed up again. It's like they fix one issue, and it messes up something else with regard to hit registration.

LRMs are still a nuisance weapon, especially with all the Clan LRM heavy loadouts. It's easy to counter though using Cover, AMS, ECM, etc.

The rewards are very different now. TAG and NARC are more worthwhile on light mechs because of the reward bonuses. The Patch notes are not correct on the current state of rewards. You'll have to check multiple announcement threads to see all the changes made to rewards.

Those are some of the major changes from my point of view, YMMV.

Jody

Thanks. Yeah, you re right, info like iffy hit registration is hard to find. Oh, so SRM hit registration sucks now? I remember when there was a bug where it could hit multiple places at once dealing more damage than intended. So it's like not hitting anything now then?

Pulse lasers? IIRC they just made far too much heat. What made them so good? Can't find patch notes that document any significant change except some nerfs to Clan pulses.

#15 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:05 AM

View PostTheJs, on 27 November 2014 - 06:39 AM, said:

Pulse lasers? IIRC they just made far too much heat. What made them so good? Can't find patch notes that document any significant change except some nerfs to Clan pulses.

They now cause the same heat as their non-pulse cousins. So same heat, and more damage, that's being delivered in a shorter time, but it's still balanced by their shorter range and heavier tonnage.

#16 Inveramsay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationStar's End

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:18 AM

View PostShin Ken, on 26 November 2014 - 04:11 PM, said:

Hi!

Another question:

If you are sitting one some premium time you can activate a month at a time from your profile page but in game it will activate everything.

As for your old mechs, they will likely need an overhaul after the meta has changed and also because of the quirk system.

The game itself is actually in a really good state. Balance is pretty good and most weapons feel worthwhile. Take your old mechs for a spin and see what works for you these days.

#17 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 27 November 2014 - 09:21 AM

I have not noticed sucky srms yet, but I am a lowly pug so could have missed that. Whatever they did to fix lasers a month or two ago seems to have worked for me though. I think the pulse lasers have also increased in popularity because of the quirks that a lot of mechs got for them specifically along with the decreased heat and spl's are everywhere now that they do 4pts of damage. (Sorry my grammar is horrible on my phone and I am too lazy to go fix it.)

#18 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 27 November 2014 - 01:40 PM

View PostMolossian Dog, on 25 November 2014 - 08:43 PM, said:

You might want to check the IS Mech quirk system. Gives each mech variant certain bonuses to specific weapons or weapon groups. Lots of discussion followed. Clanners whine until they get their own buffs.

EDIT: Link

https://static.mwome...re%20Quirks.pdf

And if you should wonder...no...noone has bothered to format the list in a way that results in less than 30+ pages.
I made one for myself to print it out, because I am not going to scroll or thumb through dozens of pages.

Actually, I happen to know of such a listing ...

This is a link to a simple web-based, collapsible listing of quirked IS mechs. You won't see mechs there without quirks (Victors, Ember, Jenner F, Cataphract 3D). It's not because he missed them, he simply didn't include them.

Enjoy :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users