18 replies to this topic

#1 Steel Claws

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 665 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 26 November 2014 - 10:09 AM

When I first got the Lynx I couldn't stand it. It was slow, had huge arm boxes and almost no armor. Over time I got to understand what the Lynx is all about. Once you figure out how to drive it, it is really very fun - more fun than I have in any other light save maybe a raven. The Lynx is all about going places no one else can and being underestimated. Getting chased, jump over a ridge or on top of some terrain where they can't go. Peek and poke and use your JJs to your advantage. Find a target and start nibbling on it. It is fairly easy to rack up scores over 400 points damage and have multiple kills. Do you want to brawl a 8 spl Firstarter - probably not. You have to pick and choose your battles and know when to retreat.

It's one of those mechs that you know If you do well it is because you know your mech and how to use it, not because of the cheese of it's build. It's very satisfying in that regard.

#2 Jeffrey Wilder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 10:12 AM

MM decides if you win or lose, not the mech.

#3 Steel Claws

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 665 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 26 November 2014 - 10:37 AM

So your saying that match maker drives all the mechs and shoots the weapons. If you think that wins or losses are controlled by match maker then I pity you.

Wins and losses are always decided by how you and your team mates play. Try to blame MM all you want but if you play like crap you will loose no mater who or what is on your team. Oh but wait - it's always some one elses fault if people suck.

Edited by Steel Claws, 26 November 2014 - 10:40 AM.

#4 terrycloth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 769 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 01:21 PM

MM tries to give you a fair fight, assuming you play in an average mech among the mechs you played in the weight class you're queueing in. If instead you play a worse mech in that weight class, you're more likely to lose.

If you *always* play in a bad mech then you can get the other effect where you switch to your good mech and trounce everyone. I sort of unintentionally did that during the last challenge, playing only in my good mechs instead of trying to level up un-basicced Atlases. Won like 18 vs 7 losses, which is ridiculous compared to my normal WL ratio of 0.7ish.

Edited by terrycloth, 26 November 2014 - 01:22 PM.

#5 Mazzyplz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:22 AM

if you go out in a flamerthrower boating build it's obvious you're not going to kill anybody.

but at the same time you can also make 3-4 kills and 800 dmg and your team still gets stomped.

the positioning of the team is all, not even skill differences when shooting is as important.

when you let the enemy have the high ground in alpine or viridian bog, you lost already.

when your team pushes for the outskirts ofthe map, trapping themselves in a corner of HPG manifold or canyon network, you're already dead, the whole team.

you can either play at those times of day where the best players are on, who understand how the maps work
or give orders and pray that your team follows (they probably wont)

#6 Saiphas Cain

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:17 AM

I don't disagree with most of this, though my experience with PUG's is when someone puts up an objective usually people do amble toward it if it's close enough to be visible. Not everyone of course but most. I've been in more matches where we absolutely wrecked the enemy when this happened than not. If you're going to try this it helps to be in a fast mech that can keep up ( since you'll be looking at the battlemap occasionally ) and be sure to point at where you want the team to congregate, not exactly where the crossfire will be. If you have a good head for http://en.wikipedia....ieg#Schwerpunkt this can easily make the difference in the average PUG.

#7 FerretGR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:39 AM

View PostJeffrey Wilder, on 26 November 2014 - 10:12 AM, said:

MM decides if you win or lose, not the mech.

A year+ after the implementation of ELO, and not only are people still saying stupid **** like this, but they seem to actually believe it. This community is ridiculous.

#8 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:49 AM

View PostFerretGR, on 28 November 2014 - 10:39 AM, said:

A year+ after the implementation of ELO, and not only are people still saying stupid **** like this, but they seem to actually believe it. This community is ridiculous.

How about the mm can influence the outcome, if it doesn't decide it?

#9 FerretGR

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:51 AM

The matchmaker puts teams together with comparable stats. That's it. If you lose it's your own goddamn fault.

#10 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 12:18 PM

I would disagree on occasion. There are 23 other variables in each game, plus RNG on hit reg etc. Plus your level of personal influence is affected by what mech you are in, your loadout, what your team does, what the enemy does etc.
It's not always your fault you lose, sorry to say that but it's true.

#11 Remarius

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 820 posts
  • LocationBrighton, England

Posted 01 December 2014 - 08:08 AM

If you did well in a Mist Lynx you'll do far better in a whole load of IS mechs as they just have better speed, hit boxes and armament.

#12 FerretGR

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 03:30 PM

View Postkamiko kross, on 29 November 2014 - 12:18 PM, said:

I would disagree on occasion. There are 23 other variables in each game, plus RNG on hit reg etc. Plus your level of personal influence is affected by what mech you are in, your loadout, what your team does, what the enemy does etc.
It's not always your fault you lose, sorry to say that but it's true.

So you can be a ***** about it and blame your team or hit reg or yadda yadda... but in the end none of those things are ELO either, which is what the conversation was about. ELO sticks teams together, that's it. What happens after the match starts has nothing to do with ELO or the MM. You can try to pass the buck onto whatever excuse you like, but you can't blame ELO or the MM.

#13 Pezzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 616 posts
  • LocationBristol, Tennessee

Posted 01 December 2014 - 04:42 PM

Thought this thread was supposed to be about how the Mist Lynx doesn't suck?
Well, by my personal experience (and how easily this thread derailed), I have to say that the Mist Lynx does suck. Yes, you can run away and play hide and seek with it. Yes, your 8 JJs can get you up to places more easily. But the MWO maps are designed to be accessible by mechs of all shapes and sizes, so really all that those JJs are doing is saving you some climbing time.

The mech is underarmed, useless without arms, and relatively easy to hit with its' top speed being so low. My verdict after playing 20+ matches with it? DOA. This is coming from a Dragon/Quickdraw/Commando/Nova pilot. Worst mech in the game until it gets quirks, if and when it gets quirks.

#14 The Schwartz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 126 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:05 PM

Pezzer I'm pretty sure the worst mech in the game is the locust. I'm not saying it's not fun, it's terribly fun but, the lynx having ecm and a descent missle payload make it a better backbiter. I sneak up on people in my Centurian all the time, I'd imagine (cause I don't have one) a Lynx would be better at it. But, behind friendlies, ya probably not the role for it.

#15 Decoy3

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 12:09 AM

View PostThe Schwartz, on 01 December 2014 - 05:05 PM, said:

Pezzer I'm pretty sure the worst mech in the game is the locust. I'm not saying it's not fun, it's terribly fun but, the lynx having ecm and a descent missle payload make it a better backbiter. I sneak up on people in my Centurian all the time, I'd imagine (cause I don't have one) a Lynx would be better at it. But, behind friendlies, ya probably not the role for it.

I'd rather have a Locust, especially post-Quirkening. The MLX is a 25 ton mech that tops out at 124.7kph. The only hardpoints are in the arms, which are very easy to shoot off. Seriously, check that thing out with 4x MLas. They're gigantic. The amount of fixed equipment is ridiculous given its tonnage. And the CAP in particular... I don't even.

I'm just glad to finally have mine elited. Not sure I'll bother mastering them.

#16 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:36 AM

if you choose ecm, you have all weapons in only one arm, which is as big as half your mech, easy pick and all you are is a walking ecm.

View PostSteel Claws, on 26 November 2014 - 10:37 AM, said:

So your saying that match maker drives all the mechs and shoots the weapons. If you think that wins or losses are controlled by match maker then I pity you.

Wins and losses are always decided by how you and your team mates play. Try to blame MM all you want but if you play like crap you will loose no mater who or what is on your team. Oh but wait - it's always some one elses fault if people suck.

No it does not, but generally Misses lynx is not a one women show and will very likely win or lose depending on the team she gets. While in other chassis you can decide the outcome of the match and not the matchmaker.

#17 DrRedCoat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 191 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:59 AM

View PostDecoy3, on 02 December 2014 - 12:09 AM, said:

I'd rather have a Locust, especially post-Quirkening. The MLX is a 25 ton mech that tops out at 124.7kph. The only hardpoints are in the arms, which are very easy to shoot off. Seriously, check that thing out with 4x MLas. They're gigantic. The amount of fixed equipment is ridiculous given its tonnage. And the CAP in particular... I don't even.

I'm just glad to finally have mine elited. Not sure I'll bother mastering them.

This all the way. I'd much rather use my locusts than my Lynx for all of these reasons.

#18 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:32 PM

Steel, I'm glad you're enjoying it. I won't be following you into Myst Lynx-dom because reasons, but I do feel matches are more interesting and have more variety when folks take a liking to different chassis they enjoy and figure out how to make them work, regardless of everyone else's opinion.

#19 Macksheen

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationNorth Cackalacky

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:10 PM

Hitbox change coming. I'm not sure that'll be enough, but it's a start.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users