$500 For Game Content, Are You Kidding Me?

244 replies to this topic

#21 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:52 AM

View PostCapt Stern, on 27 November 2014 - 02:41 AM, said:

Any player who buys one of these packages should be ashamed of themselves -there are much more important things in life that deserve/require $500.

Well, kind of. It's... a bit tricky. If you go down that train of thought, you end up with the philosophy of someone like Mo Tzu, who believed that all luxury was, by definition, waste of resources. Not only did he reject ostentatious clothing and celebration, but he (and his followers) also viewed musical instruments as a waste of money. In a time when China was torn apart by war and millions were struggling to survive, he thought it was a shame to spend money on luxury items.

Where do you draw the line, really? Mo Tzu would look at your Founder package and say you should be ashamed of yourself. Why did you spend that money on a computer game, when you could have changed someone's life for the better? You could have given a micro loan to a family in India, helped them buy equipment or tools for their family business. Or invested it in a promising African company, desperately in need of capital.

Let the man who is without sin throw the first stone. But then again, is it really a shame to support video games, even with people starving in the world? I'm not sure it is. By spending $500 dollars on this game, you're sustaining the F2P model and thus helping to bring entertainment to thousands of people around the world. Some of whom may need the escape from reality.

At the end of the day, video games are modern art. Game developers are artists. Is it really shameful to support them?

View PostCapt Stern, on 27 November 2014 - 02:41 AM, said:

I realize, fully well, that this will piss off many people; I do not care. Why should anyone care what a person thinks if they can so callously throw money away?

This is a pointless remark in a public discussion on a forum. "I'll tell you all what I think and I don't care if you disagree."

We all care, otherwise none of us would be posting.

#22 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:52 AM

If whales wanna spend that much, who cares if it helps fund the game that hundreds of others can play for free.

Of course we can talk about how individual mech purchases are also too expensive (an Atlas should be $10 not 30). But if they'd rather fewer people buy at more expensive than more people at cheaper I guess that's on them to know which is more profitable.

#23 Ryokens leap

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:56 AM

See u again in 2 years Cabin Boy.

#24 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:58 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 27 November 2014 - 07:50 AM, said:

ouch, 15k for a game that isn't even finished and probably totally overhyped. I mean the vision I great, but making that vision reality is probably beyond someones PC specs. Sure MWO coud also have a lot more nice things, but it an online game and by this has its very own issues. make terrain destructable and everthing that happens on the terrain needs to be transmitted to everyone. That is causing laod on the network. And on the local PC's for changing the terrain and stuff it may get problematic for some people to run MOW wit proper fps. Some already have enough issues.

and they have already missed countless deadlines and had...issues.

A lot related to the less than stellar choice of game engines, just like MWO. Difference is Roberts had no Publisher to answer to, and did a LOT better job of communicating. We will have to see if the IGP-free MWO continues their current direction, though I have found having regular open communication with the Devs pretty easy since.

That said, I would say, that at least for the average consumer, there will be no way SC can make all it's lofty goals. The only people who would likely own systems capable of handling it would be the same who bought those 15k packages (which are sold out, btw).

One of the hardest balances seems to be lofty goals meeting mass market accessibility...... willing the vast majority of gamers are running rigs that cost considerably less than 1500 to build.

The second is often dealing with publishers, which more often than not are just bean counters who do a mediocre job of marketing your product...but then always push for the perceived bottom line.

Maps and CW were not something that could be short term monetized, so the Publisher felt them unimportant. We've gotten several maps though since, more in the pipeline, and whatever we will get with CW, which seems to be progressing looking at Pauls and Russ's communications.

But of course, some people who by their own admission have not been here in 2 years probably have not taken the time to familiarize themselves with these little facts before going off the deep end.

And of course, come of our own proud Forum Anarchists are always more than glad to feed those fires.....

#25 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:59 AM

Welcome to a year ago.

Welcome to 2012 for those of you are bringing up 15,000 dollar kickstarter tiers for starcitizen.

#26 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:01 AM

View PostMolossian Dog, on 27 November 2014 - 07:50 AM, said:

I doubt that.

And even if I were wrong and you chosen few are not just telling yourselves a myth about being the pillar on which MWO rests...

then I question the business sense of those that decided to monetize a game in that way.

EDIT: But we have had that discussion already. Several times, in fact.

well buckaroo, it sure ain't the f2p filler bodies who never spend a dime that keep the lights on at any game studio. Spontaneous generation doesn't seem to happen in the bank account.

#27 RG Notch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:02 AM

View PostNikol Grall, on 27 November 2014 - 07:48 AM, said:

I've likely spent that... just not at once. And guess what i'll buy a few more mc this weekend so i can skip grinding 2 of the Myst Lynx's via gxp conversion. It is people like myself and the gold mech buyers who keep this game going.

It's also people like you who are keeping this game charging a lot of money for mechs and chasing off more casual microtransactions that would likely attract a lot of smaller purchases. There are more than one way to fund a game. Relying on big spenders is one, and it worked so well so far right? I mean it's only taken 2 years to get to CW, yet we've got 2 mech packs on sale at once this time. It's also the reason why we will only see new mechs appear in packs. It's also IMHO why there is little effort on the NPE as how many new people will drop hundreds on mech packs. When your target demo is deep pocket whales who have been around for awhile it makes QoL improvements and NPE back burner material. It's why PGI hires and retains more people who make stuff they can sell than people who can fix or improve the game.
So be proud of keeping this game going in the direction of aiming for a few big spenders instead of many microtransactions and improvements to keep the little people playing.

#28 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:02 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 27 November 2014 - 07:59 AM, said:

Welcome to a year ago.

Welcome to 2012 for those of you are bringing up 15,000 dollar kickstarter tiers for starcitizen.

Actually, welcome to making a very valid point, that whining about a 500$ dollar package, in a day and age where things like the Completionist package and other such things exist is pretty laughable.

But your cherry picking logic is always welcome.

#29 Jetfire

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:05 AM

Got a gift card I didn't need and felt like being frivolous. I suppose I can't spend money on miniatures or card games or booze either in your opinion.

#30 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:05 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 27 November 2014 - 08:02 AM, said:

Actually, welcome to making a very valid point, that whining about a 500$ dollar package, in a day and age where things like the Completionist package and other such things exist is pretty laughable.

I don't think you understand the difference between a funding goal made on insistence by a saudi-arabian prince, versus a 500 dollar gold skin for an already established, minimally viable product.

Do you even know why those old legacy packages are the way they are? Did you know that the big tiers include sitting in with CGI on staff meetings, and special access to Chris Roberts?

#31 The Boz

• 1,317 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:06 AM

The game is fueled by whales, because prices are too high for the vast majority of the playerbase (as opposed to just "the majority").

#32 Dragomir Zelenka

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 168 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:07 AM

View PostDI3T3R, on 27 November 2014 - 06:17 AM, said:

Has anybody actually ever SEEN a Gold Mech?

I saw a gold Nova.

Now there's a case of buyer's remorse, I'll wager.

#33 ApolloKaras

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

@thread Holy crap welcome to last year?

#34 Jetfire

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

View PostBishop Steiner, on 27 November 2014 - 08:02 AM, said:

Well, I mean there has to be something for the 1% to spend their money on right? Otherwise how is it going to get back in the hands of the working people? Maybe Justin Bieber wants to play a space sim, take him for all he's got I say.

#35 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:13 AM

OP, why do you care what other people spend their money on? How does it hurt you? If anything you should be thanking the people who put money into the game so that you dont have to spend more every month to participate.

#36 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:14 AM

OP you and your ilk are the kind of self righteous opinionated guilt-ridden folks I'd love to backhand for your arrogance. :angry:

It's called providing options.

Why do we drive Lexus' when a Yugo will do?... Why do we wear $400.00 designer shoes when $50 Walmart specials will do?... Why do we eat a 32 oz. select Angus steak when chopped hamburger will do?

We do it because we have means to do it and it pleases us... period.

This kind of self-induced guilt for the "have-nots" and the premise that there are more important things that money could be used for is asinine. Who the hell are you to judge?

Feel free to volunteer at your local soup kitchen if your so inclined.... But don't waltz in here and cast dispersion on PGI for providing the option nor anyone for taking advantage of it...

It's freedom of choice... It's a wonderful thing. :rolleyes:

#37 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:15 AM

View PostRG Notch, on 27 November 2014 - 08:02 AM, said:

It's also people like you who are keeping this game charging a lot of money for mechs and chasing off more casual microtransactions that would likely attract a lot of smaller purchases. There are more than one way to fund a game. Relying on big spenders is one, and it worked so well so far right? I mean it's only taken 2 years to get to CW, yet we've got 2 mech packs on sale at once this time. It's also the reason why we will only see new mechs appear in packs. It's also IMHO why there is little effort on the NPE as how many new people will drop hundreds on mech packs. When your target demo is deep pocket whales who have been around for awhile it makes QoL improvements and NPE back burner material. It's why PGI hires and retains more people who make stuff they can sell than people who can fix or improve the game.
So be proud of keeping this game going in the direction of aiming for a few big spenders instead of many microtransactions and improvements to keep the little people playing.

or maybe ....now that they don't have a publisher calling the shots, they are working on CW as a priority, and microtransaction filler is a secondary priority until then?

#38 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:20 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 27 November 2014 - 08:05 AM, said:

I don't think you understand the difference between a funding goal made on insistence by a saudi-arabian prince, versus a 500 dollar gold skin for an already established, minimally viable product.

Do you even know why those old legacy packages are the way they are? Did you know that the big tiers include sitting in with CGI on staff meetings, and special access to Chris Roberts?

yes, actually I did.

And let's see how much was the Menzoberranzan Renegade, the Black SPidey Costume, the special release in China only top tier tank on WoT? (etc)

Welcome to the world of modern gaming. There are stupid expensive things for people that want to buy them. And no one is forced to.

Keep raging at the world, you mighty, beautiful, forum anarchist, you!

View PostThe Boz, on 27 November 2014 - 08:06 AM, said:

The game is fueled by whales, because prices are too high for the vast majority of the playerbase (as opposed to just "the majority").

judging by the number of Hero mechs in any given match, seems unlikely. Got some hard data?

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 27 November 2014 - 08:19 AM.

#39 Nikol Grall

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 430 posts
  • LocationJackson, Tn

View PostRG Notch, on 27 November 2014 - 08:02 AM, said:

I've put two and a half years of time and money into this game, on the hope it becomes something we can all enjoy. Deep pockets? That's about $17 a month. Not to far off from an eve or FF XIV sub right? Blaming the backers who make it possible for the free players to play solves nothing.

#40 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

View PostSaxie, on 27 November 2014 - 08:07 AM, said:

@thread Holy crap welcome to last year?

Hey why not? Vass has made his entire MWO forum career based off of keeping the flames of 2013 alive.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users