$500 For Game Content, Are You Kidding Me?

244 replies to this topic

#41 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:22 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 27 November 2014 - 08:20 AM, said:

yes, actually I did.

And let's see how much was the Menzoberranzan Renegade, the Black SPidey Costume, the special release in China only top tier tank on WoT? (etc)

Welcome to the world of modern gaming. There are stupid expensive things for people that want to buy them. And no one is forced to.

Keep raging at the world, you mighty, beautiful, forum anarchist, you!

judging by the number of Hero mechs in any given match, seems unlikely. Got some hard data?

Here's a little something to educate yourself on the humble beginnings of what's now a 60+ million crowdfunded game.

https://www.kickstar...ig/star-citizen

It has very little to do with P2W tanks in world of tanks, or stupid gold skins for robots.

View PostBishop Steiner, on 27 November 2014 - 08:20 AM, said:

Hey why not? Vass has made his entire MWO forum career based off of keeping the flames of 2013 alive.

I love you, too, bro.

#42 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:23 AM

View PostRG Notch, on 27 November 2014 - 08:02 AM, said:

It's also people like you who are keeping this game charging a lot of money for mechs and chasing off more casual microtransactions that would likely attract a lot of smaller purchases. There are more than one way to fund a game. Relying on big spenders is one, and it worked so well so far right? I mean it's only taken 2 years to get to CW, yet we've got 2 mech packs on sale at once this time. It's also the reason why we will only see new mechs appear in packs. It's also IMHO why there is little effort on the NPE as how many new people will drop hundreds on mech packs. When your target demo is deep pocket whales who have been around for awhile it makes QoL improvements and NPE back burner material. It's why PGI hires and retains more people who make stuff they can sell than people who can fix or improve the game.
So be proud of keeping this game going in the direction of aiming for a few big spenders instead of many microtransactions and improvements to keep the little people playing.

No its not, in nearly no case of gams do they lower the prices of their stuff when people stop paying. either prizes start to rise for newly super p2w games or games simply close.

View PostVassago Rain, on 27 November 2014 - 08:05 AM, said:

I don't think you understand the difference between a funding goal made on insistence by a saudi-arabian prince, versus a 500 dollar gold skin for an already established, minimally viable product.

Do you even know why those old legacy packages are the way they are? Did you know that the big tiers include sitting in with CGI on staff meetings, and special access to Chris Roberts?

you are right, we need a 15k diamond mech to also make MWO appealing for the rich arabian emirate customers.

#43 RG Notch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:26 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 27 November 2014 - 08:15 AM, said:

or maybe ....now that they don't have a publisher calling the shots, they are working on CW as a priority, and microtransaction filler is a secondary priority until then?

Maybe. I'll believe it when I see it. I love how only publishers are greedy and dev teams are pure as the driven snow and never would ever put short term cash gain ahead of making a good game....ever. I see how prices dropped after the evil publisher left..oh wait no it didn't. So maybe it will change but I don't for one second subscribe to the theory advanced by many apologists that IGP was behind every bad decision and was the only one who put short term profit first. I invite PGI to prove me wrong and hope they do, but I'm far from convinced of this magical change since IGP left. It's pretty convenient that some folks neglect the other big event that occurred at the same time IGP left, Transverse cratering. So I think that had a lot more to do with the change in attitude than IGP going out of business.

#44 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

View PostVassago Rain, on 27 November 2014 - 08:22 AM, said:

Here's a little something to educate yourself on the humble beginnings of what's now a 60+ million crowdfunded game.

https://www.kickstar...ig/star-citizen

It has very little to do with P2W tanks in world of tanks, or stupid gold skins for robots.

I love you, too, bro.

lol. Big hug, big man. Love you and your Atlas, too.

#45 Mothykins

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 1,125 posts
  • Locationilikerice is my hero.

View PostLily from animove, on 27 November 2014 - 06:36 AM, said:

strange I have not seen a single golden TBR today even for it being the only one sold out.

I played with a Fellow who had one for a few matches.

Too many TKs, it was really frustrating.

People who give folks **** for getting something they want are really crappy. I mean, would you slash the tires of a Bentley out of spite? Purposely smash some guys New iPhone? Openly mock people for spending 10K restoring a VW bus?

Oh man, can we give people **** for buying actual pasta and making proper cheese sauce, because KD is more cost effective? I want in on this deal, being an ******* seems like the best possible use of my time.

#46 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:28 AM

View PostCavale, on 27 November 2014 - 08:26 AM, said:

I played with a Fellow who had one for a few matches.

Too many TKs, it was really frustrating.

People who give folks **** for getting something they want are really crappy. I mean, would you slash the tires of a Bentley out of spite? Purposely smash some guys New iPhone? Openly mock people for spending 10K restoring a VW bus?

Oh man, can we give people **** for buying actual pasta and making proper cheese sauce, because KD is more cost effective? I want in on this deal, being an ******* seems like the best possible use of my time.

wow I never got shot by anyone so far, maybe in the elo that I am, epeen > tk's and so no one shoots teammates :D

#47 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:32 AM

View PostRG Notch, on 27 November 2014 - 08:26 AM, said:

Maybe. I'll believe it when I see it. I love how only publishers are greedy and dev teams are pure as the driven snow and never would ever put short term cash gain ahead of making a good game....ever. I see how prices dropped after the evil publisher left..oh wait no it didn't. So maybe it will change but I don't for one second subscribe to the theory advanced by many apologists that IGP was behind every bad decision and was the only one who put short term profit first. I invite PGI to prove me wrong and hope they do, but I'm far from convinced of this magical change since IGP left. It's pretty convenient that some folks neglect the other big event that occurred at the same time IGP left, Transverse cratering. So I think that had a lot more to do with the change in attitude than IGP going out of business.

Don't believe I ever made that claim, but hey, wayy to use hyperbole to try to cover lack of a valid argument.

What I do know, is PGI has been Publisher free since September. Since then, the rate of maps has increased. CW is becoming a thing (whether it's in a form that meets individual visions of it, we will see) moves like removing all the negative baggage Paul piled on mechs, actively breaking the Poptart Monopoly have been made. Positive quirks passes (yes, passes, more to come) to fix the viability of product that were ignored for 2 years (because fixing existing product doesn't make new money).

Oh and massively improved communication, and willingness to listen to the player base, overall (for instance, getting the ® Model Zeus changed to the 6S).

So that is called basing things on the evidence of the here and now, not clinging to the murky past, or projecting anything into the future. There are still things to improve, (like listening to no Comp players about the quirks, TOO, since 98% of the playerbase don't play the high elo metagame), actually releasing CW (and however successful it is implemented) and proving they can continue their current trajectory.

In pretty much any format, that is called being objective.

#48 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:40 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 27 November 2014 - 08:32 AM, said:

Don't believe I ever made that claim, but hey, wayy to use hyperbole to try to cover lack of a valid argument.

What I do know, is PGI has been Publisher free since September. Since then, the rate of maps has increased. CW is becoming a thing (whether it's in a form that meets individual visions of it, we will see) moves like removing all the negative baggage Paul piled on mechs, actively breaking the Poptart Monopoly have been made. Positive quirks passes (yes, passes, more to come) to fix the viability of product that were ignored for 2 years (because fixing existing product doesn't make new money).

Oh and massively improved communication, and willingness to listen to the player base, overall (for instance, getting the ® Model Zeus changed to the 6S).

So that is called basing things on the evidence of the here and now, not clinging to the murky past, or projecting anything into the future. There are still things to improve, (like listening to no Comp players about the quirks, TOO, since 98% of the playerbase don't play the high elo metagame), actually releasing CW (and however successful it is implemented) and proving they can continue their current trajectory.

I agree, but why did all these changes come to sudden, and will they keep them up? What's in store for 2015? Have they canned tranverse for real?

Lots and lots of questions, you know. I said as much in my first post in this thread. Until more of those questions have been answered, I see no reason to hand PGI more of my dollars.

However, the fact that I'm back to posting and playing, which I saw as an impossibility during the transverse explosion, is quite a dramatic change all on its own.

Certain KEY FIGURES have also been removed from PGI, which has jumpstarted a healing process all over the internet, including such formerly dark places as r/MWO.

We'll all simply have to wait and see what the future holds.

#49 RG Notch

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:42 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 27 November 2014 - 08:32 AM, said:

What else happened re: PGI in September? Have the prices of mech packs dropped? Were we not told that their would be no more mech packs before CW? Have the C bills been improved since they were dropped and we were told there would be new ways to earn (oh new ways were provided and what did PGI say, people were earning the same amount as the lowered level)? Has the NPE been improved in anyway? Has PGI rebalanced their teams from 60%+ on money making stuff? Has PGI let support slip so far that they turned off tickets because support isn't monetizable?
I'm not disputing that things have improved, but please they had an extremely low bar to judge from. I just don't see it as all positive. Neglecting to include the negatives is just as biased as neglecting the positives.

#50 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:47 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 27 November 2014 - 08:40 AM, said:

I agree, but why did all these changes come to sudden, and will they keep them up? What's in store for 2015? Have they canned tranverse for real?

Lots and lots of questions, you know. I said as much in my first post in this thread. Until more of those questions have been answered, I see no reason to hand PGI more of my dollars.

However, the fact that I'm back to posting and playing, which I saw as an impossibility during the transverse explosion, is quite a dramatic change all on its own.

Certain KEY FIGURES have also been removed from PGI, which has jumpstarted a healing process all over the internet, including such formerly dark places as r/MWO.

We'll all simply have to wait and see what the future holds.

and on THIS; i pretty much fully agree man.

I'm all for skepticism, and a wait and see attitude with one's wallet. IMO, especially in light of 2013, it's understandable and justifiable.

I'm just not into attacking those who are not as skeptical and continue to pay to keep the lights on over at PGI, like the OP feels the need to. Just smacks of butthurt more than "righteous" anger.

End of 2013, beginning of 2014, I had pretty much stopped championing MWO. some frank communication with certain Devs kept me on the fence. And the sudden change (which coincides with them buying their way out from under the Publisher, and thus, freeing themselves of any creative control from IGP), has put me back on the positive side of the equation, if still with a bit of a wait and see attitude. But having had a LOT of open communication with Russ, and several other Devs has me willing to still buy, IF I want something.

I'm never gonna buy a Gold Mech, because it doesn't interest me at all, especially being Clanners. I did buy the Resistance pack, because aside from the Wolverine and Thunderbolt, I have greatly enjoyed playing my sup-optimal IS stompy robots, and making them work. So if someone else wants to buy a 500 dollar pretty bauble, how at anytime does it affect my world or joy?

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 27 November 2014 - 08:51 AM.

#51 Mothykins

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:48 AM

Petition to start a fundraiser to force Raise money for Bishop to buy a Golden Warhawk.

#52 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:49 AM

View PostRG Notch, on 27 November 2014 - 08:42 AM, said:

What else happened re: PGI in September? Have the prices of mech packs dropped? Were we not told that their would be no more mech packs before CW? Have the C bills been improved since they were dropped and we were told there would be new ways to earn (oh new ways were provided and what did PGI say, people were earning the same amount as the lowered level)? Has the NPE been improved in anyway? Has PGI rebalanced their teams from 60%+ on money making stuff? Has PGI let support slip so far that they turned off tickets because support isn't monetizable?
I'm not disputing that things have improved, but please they had an extremely low bar to judge from. I just don't see it as all positive. Neglecting to include the negatives is just as biased as neglecting the positives.

Oh, you mean the Mech Pack that the COMMUNITY BEGGED FOR SO THEY COULD GET THEIR PRECIOUS KING CRAB.

Yes, so making massive, visible strides in many areas means they are doing nothing because SO FAR they have not touched on one area you feel is important.

Bravo. You must have been captain of the debate club.

#53 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

View PostCapt Stern, on 27 November 2014 - 07:36 AM, said:

lol what a presumptive dipshit

What the guy means... is that those were around since sometime last year.
If you're only just now having a reaction to it, you really are pretty slow on the uptake.

The price supposedly is to keep them super rare, so that having one (or more) makes you feel special.
Don't wanna feel special? Don't get one.

I haven't got any interest in a mech I can't paint anyway.

Now a ship on the other hand in a game that will have a lot more than the call of duty-style matches that are just only starting to borrow from battlefield gameplay of MWO.... Hmmm... *Rubs chin.*

#54 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

View PostCavale, on 27 November 2014 - 08:48 AM, said:

Petition to start a fundraiser to force Raise money for Bishop to buy a Golden Warhawk.

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww........................................

(Now a Chromed or Hematite multi-paint channel Deputy Dawg....... I might get sold on)

#55 Butane9000

• Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:52 AM

View PostDI3T3R, on 27 November 2014 - 06:17 AM, said:

Has anybody actually ever SEEN a Gold Mech?

I saw a gold direwhale in a match a couple of weeks ago. But right after the big release they died down quick being such bright and shiny targets.

#56 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:52 AM

View PostRG Notch, on 27 November 2014 - 08:42 AM, said:

lots of sales,
many challanges with free stuff
new map
mech rebalancing
JJ adjustments
Laser rebalancing

lots of stuff happened, many of that because of the direct communication between paul and the community.

#57 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:54 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 27 November 2014 - 08:52 AM, said:

lots of sales,
many challanges with free stuff
new map
mech rebalancing
JJ adjustments
Laser rebalancing

lots of stuff happened, many of that because of the direct communication between paul and the community.

and don't forget the unsolicited customer appreciation free stuff. I'm pretty stoked with my (2) CN9-AHs, (2) AS7-Ss, King Crab and Invasion Mad Dog.

Mind you, without all the rest, these would be meaningless, but they were not needed..... but a nice change of approach, IMO.

#58 Mothykins

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:59 AM

I feel like I should start up a racket. If I can get $5 from 100 folks on here, I could have a Golden Peacedove...

Hmmmm...

#59 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 27 November 2014 - 09:00 AM

@OP

Too be sure.

I think the mechs are overpriced and they would actually earn more revenue by lowering the prices for everything by half, but I don't know what mechs made of data bytes cost.

Edited by Lightfoot, 27 November 2014 - 09:01 AM.

#60 -Wulf-

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 135 posts
  • LocationThe last =FD= Dropship

Posted 27 November 2014 - 09:00 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 27 November 2014 - 06:36 AM, said:

Whaaat? What content?

The content of the game is mechs, some skills modules and maps.
If you buy a package preorder, you have the content as early access.
But there is no exclusive content at all with those packages. Only comsetic stuff.

Now people just have two options: grind Cbillsfor new mechs or buy mechs with reallife money.
Packs are cheaper in money/mech, and so people buy packs.

Whats the sense of going to a movie watching it there and paying money when after 2 years its on TV for free?
Because you want to watch it earlier.
Same applies to MWO, and all of this is indefinitely better than any P2W stuff.

And why is it greedy? its jus a bundle, and even if you pay those 500$ for the 13 mechs + a ton of goodies, so not even that expensive. It's just a single big bunch of money which makes people scary.

And more important things in live for 500$? That would rquiring to know that persons life. I studied for not havin monetary trouble sin my life and spending some money on the things I spend most time with is totally fine.

you can go to aclub ending to spend 50$ an evening. or play many evenings with that gold mech.
you can buy a bunch other hobby stuff and 500$ won't bring you far at all. Any miniature tabletop?

and probably your whole money can end up like this:

Posted Image

So let everyone else decide what HIS/HER money is worth to HIM/HER. Some people smoke cigarettes for 5$ a day. calculate how many this is over a single year. As long as no one has to starve for saving the money there isn't hardly something wrong about it.

So who should be pissed off and why? only those who want a golden TBR and can't get one may be XD.

strange I have not seen a single golden TBR today even for it being the only one sold out.

OUCH that UGLY STICK is all kinds of crunched... I have the same plane except its not in as many peices LOL That plane's owner would have been better off buying a gold mech cause after its all said and done with that plane cost 200 bucks then 40 bucks a piece for 4 servo's the motor cost around 300 bucks or more depending if they used glow fuel or a gasser, So all in all that plane costs around 650 bucks. I know I have one and thats what mine cost me.

Edited by Falkwulf, 27 November 2014 - 09:05 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users