112 replies to this topic

#61 Shalune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 647 posts
  • LocationCombination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell

Posted 01 May 2015 - 08:42 AM

The only clan mech that plays anything like an IS light right now is the Ice Ferret.

Any other clan light should be played as though it's a support medium.

If you run off on your own you will die, so don't. Take heavier medium to long range weapons. Stay with the main advance and provide fire support. As a smaller mech, you'll be a lower priority target when wolves are nearby so you're relatively safe. If you get rushed by a light while on the flanks, just run back through your group.

#62 Brizna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 02 May 2015 - 07:48 AM

While what you say is true for Kit Fox and Adder, at 25 tons playing Lynx like a medium will only result in total disappointment. Lynx is a class on itself: Slow jumpy ultra light mech, play it like what it is a Mist Lynx.

#63 Shalune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 647 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:43 PM

View PostBrizna, on 02 May 2015 - 07:48 AM, said:

While what you say is true for Kit Fox and Adder, at 25 tons playing Lynx like a medium will only result in total disappointment. Lynx is a class on itself: Slow jumpy ultra light mech, play it like what it is a Mist Lynx.

Of course you play a Mist Lynx like a Mist Lynx, and even an Adder like an Adder. I can also define the word "cake" to someone that doesn't know what it means by saying "it means cake." But that helps no one.

The Mist Lynx is barely faster than the other two mechs and doesn't have the firepower or durability to even be close to IS lights.

So yeah, I still play it like a medium. Which is to say, use your mobility as your primary tool, but never be more than a quick sprint from the main group. You are not a scout, and you sure as hell are not a knife fighter like IS lights.

#64 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 03 May 2015 - 03:00 PM

I probably didn't explain myself right. Of course you play a Lynx like a Lynx and an Adder as such, but what I meant is that while Adder plays very similar to Kit Fox and Black Jack, and dunno, Griffins to some Shadowhawks and Stormcrows, no other mech plays like a Mist Lynx since it constitutes a mech class on itself.

What it lacks in horizontal velocity it makes up in vertical speed so anywhere you can get an advantage by jumping (multi height maps) lynx makes a decent scout and a terrific ambusher. It's not a meta mech, but it can do some stuff most other mechs can only dream of, specially in PUGs when communication is difficult, it is also very fun to jump from impossible to reach place to impossible to reach place while you fire lasers and annoy the **** out of the enemy mechs. Might not be the best mech but it is one of the funniest rides.

Edited by Brizna, 03 May 2015 - 03:01 PM.

#65 Shalune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 647 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 03:12 PM

No argument there. Not top of the line, but definitely very fun. Apologies if I got a little over-aggressive in wording my last post. Seems we were just talking past each other.

I wish more people didn't worry about a thing being 'competitive'. Unless you're in a group like SJR, the skill level of almost everyone in this game has a low enough baseline* that you can be effective in any half-decent build if you play smart. It's not like DOTA2 or Counter Strike where your slight lack of efficiency is going to get crushed by the hardcore. There's plenty of room to experiment with Mist Lynxes, Ice Ferrets, Centurions, and the like. All of which may be objectively less than competitive, but seem to get lumped in as "bad" rather than the more accurate "good, but overshadowed."

*I don't mean this as an insult, and include myself in the generalization. Just that MWO's player base is nowhere near as developed as more hardcore game audiences.

#66 Bigbacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 06:31 AM

in pug land (either solo or CW when it is pugs vs pug) I like it.

I use a trollish build though with 2 ERLLs + ECM

#67 Repasy Cooper

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 07 May 2015 - 04:25 PM

I use stock MLX-B for Community Warfare. It is EXCELLENT for finishing off crippled mechs fast.

#68 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 May 2015 - 06:13 AM

@Bigbacon

, how do you fit 2 ERLLs and ECM? Do you strip all the armor?

#69 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:53 AM

View PostNRP, on 09 May 2015 - 06:13 AM, said:

@Bigbacon

, how do you fit 2 ERLLs and ECM? Do you strip all the armor?

pretty much...it holds up better than I ever expected. obviouosly though it can only be best used at long range and alone. some maps it is difficult to deal with because of the burn time and the map size.

works best on large maps with plenty of places to JJ to.

I can get you exact values if you really want it but something like this
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f0dd760de898e2d

Edited by Bigbacon, 12 May 2015 - 10:58 AM.

#70 TeteSP

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 117 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 13 May 2015 - 02:38 PM

Ive read a lot. I need to tell that i have other account clan based and muy first choice was the mist lynx,in muy firsts matches i did not kill anything,plus i have 8 fps only actually bit in one match ive killed an atlas,yes,an ATLAS. Half of the match my leg broken,then i thoght that in dead but for muy surprise the enemyes starting to ignore me,and then i walk in the search of a target,and...ATLAS in front of me beign killed by a heavy,so i start to shoot muy clan er large láser and the two clan machine guns,and...surprise!!! Ive killed the atlas. So in muy opinión this mech isnt useless at the end.

When i can i post with my clan based account named LuiESP for show u that in not lieing. Just now i dont hace computer and the cadete bonises not completes.

In sorry of ortography fault,muy tablet have corrector :S

Edited by TeteSP, 13 May 2015 - 02:40 PM.

#71 Telmasa

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 02:44 PM

4xSPL, run around using your BAP and JJ to cause havoc and avoid being hit - bam, you're a STD225 Firestarter.

#72 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 04:56 AM

Hello, my name is Dawg, I'm thinking of buying some mistthingies, not so much cause I think they will out-awesome my IS lights, but because I just found out how trollific taking TWO Clan assaults can be into a CW drop

#73 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 29 May 2015 - 05:11 AM

I have always loved the Kit Fox, and i like the Adder too, but the Mist Lynx is definitely the funniest ride when it comes to Clan lights. Also, i find it VERY useful, as it is the only currently available light comparable to Jenner and Firestarter when it comes to role, speed and JJs. It is the only Clan light 'Mech that can effectively do hit-and-run AND jump very high. You have so many JJs that you usually can slow down your fall enough to take little or no leg damage.

I also disagree that a Locust can easily destroy one, especially if the Lynx is armed with short-range weapons: ERMLs, SRMs or Streaks.

Besides, as people say, no one is forced to pilot it ;)

#74 Mad Dog Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 489 posts
  • LocationOutlaw On The Run, Faster than a Stolen Gun

Posted 29 May 2015 - 05:14 AM

MLX-PRIME - WooshPew

2xSRM4, 3xERSL

#75 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 03:19 AM

View PostBrizna, on 02 May 2015 - 07:48 AM, said:

And with all the weapons in the arms or ONE arm if you ECM, max armor is 6.5 tons?
7 if you shave armor off the fragile mech?
so you're saying, play it like a weak frightened little girl who's afraid of shadows, spiders, wolfes, crows, heights etc??
Stick with real mechs, and IF you wander off, run screaming back to your family and hope they're attacked?

got it

kitfox/adder btw, good mechs had some premium I won, so bought three and almost done grinding them out...like the king crab, not sure I'll keep any of them

And THOSE could kick a$$

They do seem to be filled with Helium however

#76 Baba Yogi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 452 posts
  • LocationIstanbul

Posted 30 June 2015 - 01:08 PM

i think its a decent mech. Sure its not op as a firestarter but its size is tiny and it's suprisingly mobile with perks, which makes it quite hard to hit especially at distance. I once did a 740dmg match which is one of the highest i ever got. Frankly most ppl play it wrong you are not supposed to take damage with it since its profile is perfect for dodging. Besides in fights almost noone pays any attention to the little guy.

#77 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 02:29 PM

Well, stuffing it into my CW drops, I quickly researched it all the way out.
Its really no good for CW, but in pugs....it can be hilarious.
crazy high adrenaline game this was. The final 1V1 with a fairly fresh Banshee who had dropped four already was nerve racking- finished with under 2 minutes on the clock

Posted Image

#78 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 04:26 AM

View PostRepasy, on 07 May 2015 - 04:25 PM, said:

I use stock MLX-B for Community Warfare. It is EXCELLENT for finishing off crippled mechs fast.

stock? no
this yes, MLX-B

#79 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 04:38 AM

>I use stock MLX-B for Community Warfare. It is EXCELLENT for finishing off crippled mechs fast.

well, clans lack fast lights to finish crippled mechs
right now it's better done by a crow, lol, than by any clan light

soon when cheetah be released clans will have a decent mopping light

Edited by bad arcade kitty, 05 July 2015 - 04:38 AM.

#80 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 05 July 2015 - 04:47 AM

For me the problem is the other way round....
IS lights, firestarter, raven, spider are performing contrary tho what they should be.
Those are SCOUT or contra SCOUT Mechs.
Especialy the Firestarter should be an anti infantrie/ anti tank/ anti scout urban warfare mech.
Not an effin F1 racer with invulnerability distrotion lagshield hitboxes and firepower some mediums can't field.
Same thing goes with the other lights to a differing degree.
The notion a light mech could take on an assault should be hillarious nothing more.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users