Balance

142 replies to this topic

#1 NautilusCommand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 695 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:27 PM

Let's make this short and sweet. LRM's Angle of Attack is kinda ridiculous, They fly up and over everything and make some maps unplayable in pug matches. The amount of times I still get hit while behind buildings is some next level BS.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:31 PM

The big issue with Lurms in general is that they can sometimes to be good at indirect fire (target not in LoS), but they also simultaneously tend to be really bad at direct fire (target is in LoS).

#3 Captain Stiffy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:36 PM

LRMs are finally in a good place. The constant whining is now unwarranted. Stop.

#4 NautilusCommand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 695 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:39 PM

They went from a weapon (now this is the part I bring up table top) that you fill in some tons. They helped you do damage while closing distance, but now they are a primary weapon for builds. I'd be satisfied with a much lower AoA and a reduce the turn rate of them.

View PostCaptain Stiffy, on 27 November 2014 - 07:36 PM, said:

LRMs are finally in a good place. The constant whining is now unwarranted. Stop.

Look, you could buff the damage. I couldn't care less, but it's the angle of attack I problems with when I'm in cover and still get hit that's "whining". Ok, sure.

#5 LordBraxton

• The Formidable
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:39 PM

Id prefer them to be stronger when direct, weaker when indirect, as well.

#6 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:40 PM

There is a gazillion LRM whiner threads already, post in one of them instead of spamming threads.

Edited by Sjorpha, 27 November 2014 - 07:40 PM.

#7 NautilusCommand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 695 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:44 PM

View PostLordBraxton, on 27 November 2014 - 07:39 PM, said:

Id prefer them to be stronger when direct, weaker when indirect, as well.

With a lower AoA it'd be better in a direct roll, a hell of a lot better. It wouldn't be the "let's sit in the back" play style weapon any more, or it would at least lessen that.

FFS, I'm not trying to whine. I just thought it was a valid point that the AoA is too high.

#8 Reitrix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:24 PM

View PostNautilusCommand, on 27 November 2014 - 07:44 PM, said:

With a lower AoA it'd be better in a direct roll, a hell of a lot better. It wouldn't be the "let's sit in the back" play style weapon any more, or it would at least lessen that.

FFS, I'm not trying to whine. I just thought it was a valid point that the AoA is too high.

A more shallow angle out of the launcher, especially in Direct Fire engagements would also make the LRMs 10x more useful in places like Crimson ...

Getting hit while having your face firmly planted into a building that should be providing cover just feels crap.

#9 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:28 PM

View PostNautilusCommand, on 27 November 2014 - 07:27 PM, said:

Let's make this short and sweet. LRM's Angle of Attack is kinda ridiculous, They fly up and over everything and make some maps unplayable in pug matches. The amount of times I still get hit while behind buildings is some next level BS.

I take it youre new. In CB they came in at a 90 degree angle. They HAVE been nerfed the way you say, REPEATEDLY.

So, no.

#10 Urdnot Mau

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 501 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:28 PM

I thought OP was going to complain about hitting legs when running away from them. Is it just me that gets annoyed by it? never saw someone complain about it

#11 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:34 PM

I agree with literally everything stated in this thread so far.

Yes, like Stiffy says, I think LRMs are fine right now, but I don't see the hurt in tuning them and I really like idea of decreasing the angle of attack and turning radius for indirect fire and I'm not at all opposed to increasing the AoA and turning radius for direct fire.

Indirect is indeed stronger than it should be compared to direct fire.

That said, they're fairly well balanced right now.

#12 topgun505

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,625 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOhio

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:55 PM

Sorry. No. I call BS here. The LRMs do not have any angle. You can either see a target, or not. If you can see it, or someone is spotting for indirect, then you can hit it. The only time cover comes into play aside from to-hit mods is partial cover and that only protects your legs.

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 27 November 2014 - 08:28 PM, said:

I take it youre new. In CB they came in at a 90 degree angle. They HAVE been nerfed the way you say, REPEATEDLY.

So, no.

#13 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:55 PM

Agreed, in pug matches LRMs are ridiculous. In group matches, LRMs are very weak, but LRMs just kick so many rear ends in pug matches since pugs just run from lrms. Making them more direct fire is a ton better in general, while lessening indirect fire. For those thinking OH MY GOD STOP NERFING LRMs THEY ARE SO WEAK provide a few good reasons that they shouldn't get this kind of buff/nerf balance (it's both a buff and a nerf in general). Plus LRMs need to be a support weapon not the crutch weapon in pugs.

#14 zortesh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 624 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:57 PM

People complain about the angle, but the angle is quite reasonable, and people fail to realize there being flanked and lrmed from the side, so instead they merely scream "op angle goes over cover" again and again.

#15 mrpetzold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 145 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 09:16 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 27 November 2014 - 08:28 PM, said:

So, no.

You are kidding, right? I really hope it for your own sake.
I know you are a newb-lurmer, and probably the most "famous" of them all. "I take it youre new". Seriously..

#16 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 27 November 2014 - 09:23 PM

Then go join a group. Don't ruin a weapon just because there is no one to carry you. ;)

View PostNautilusCommand, on 27 November 2014 - 07:39 PM, said:

Look, you could buff the damage. I couldn't care less, but it's the angle of attack I problems with when I'm in cover and still get hit that's "whining". Ok, sure.

I seriously doubt you will stop whining when the damage is buffed.

View PostUrdnot Mau, on 27 November 2014 - 08:28 PM, said:

I thought OP was going to complain about hitting legs when running away from them. Is it just me that gets annoyed by it? never saw someone complain about it

Someone already did.

One of the responses was that it is good missile design to skim the ground when target is lost. :D

Edited by Mystere, 27 November 2014 - 09:20 PM.

#17 Urdnot Mau

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 501 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 09:28 PM

View Postzortesh, on 27 November 2014 - 08:57 PM, said:

People complain about the angle, but the angle is quite reasonable, and people fail to realize there being flanked and lrmed from the side, so instead they merely scream "op angle goes over cover" again and again.

It is not reasonable when you get legged in a heavy by 2-3 salvos of a LRM boat while you're running for cover

It's ridiculous

#18 Abivard

• Shredder
  • 1,935 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic

Posted 27 November 2014 - 09:36 PM

View PostUrdnot Mau, on 27 November 2014 - 09:28 PM, said:

It is not reasonable when you get legged in a heavy by 2-3 salvos of a LRM boat while you're running for cover

It's ridiculous

You think it is unreasonable to expose your legs to fire for over 10 seconds and suffer damage?

Just how much time under fire do you think should pass before you take real damage? 30 seconds? 45 seconds? A minute? never?

#19 zortesh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 624 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 09:43 PM

*thinks of all the times I've legged people in 1-2 salvos of directfire for lolz*

I do find it weird lrms hitting legs on a heavy, usally only happens if you jump alot, thou i have seen osme freak leg destruction's recently... thinking someones been shooting your legs as your being hit by lrms.

#20 Mercules

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 27 November 2014 - 09:44 PM

View Postmrpetzold, on 27 November 2014 - 09:16 PM, said:

You are kidding, right? I really hope it for your own sake.
I know you are a newb-lurmer, and probably the most "famous" of them all. "I take it youre new". Seriously..

No, in Closed Beta they had a much steeper angle; they also did more damage and flew faster. They did a more dramatic swooping effect that looked nicer too, but they removed that. So way back when some of us learned how not to be hit by them they were actually more powerful than they currently are. No really, they are pretty weak right now.

View PostUrdnot Mau, on 27 November 2014 - 09:28 PM, said:

It's ridiculous

Hmmmm... How many Dual Gauss salvos would it take to leg you? How many LPL Salvos?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users