#21 Zerberus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 28 November 2014 - 03:22 AM

View Postmania3c, on 28 November 2014 - 03:02 AM, said:

While I agree PGI and dead IGP made some shady moves and PGI now has long way in front of them to be respected by players again..I can honestly tell you, Star Citizen crowd is the most idiotic fanboys group you can find..

Aye, I have an account, but you will never, ever see me on those forums. I still might need my brain one of these days, and between the PGI-divorce hate and the RSI marriage-pink goggles I honestly fear for it`s safety.

Seriously, the amount of logical paradoxes and other irreconcilible mental constructions I`d need to figure out how people can ruthlessly bash one company and vehemently brown--nose another for doing the exact same thing is just too large for me to risk trying to understand it by myself. :D

Edited by Zerberus, 28 November 2014 - 03:26 AM.

#22 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 28 November 2014 - 03:39 AM

View PostThomasMarik, on 28 November 2014 - 03:17 AM, said:

So how many promises has RSI broken at this point? All these shiny expensive ships and nowhere to fly them.

None, to my knowledge, other than making some spacegolds mad because of SERIOUS CONCERN reasons.

Closest they have to anything bad is throwing in LTI with concept sales.

You can actually fly your ships in arena commander. They'll probably make another two fly-worthy before the year's over.

#23 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 28 November 2014 - 03:51 AM

I am amsued as well, thats rather much standard when a company stops existing, its no special magic. How everyone in the world wide web suddenly is seeing conspiracies and shady buisness behind anything is just unbelievable. Yet most still use facebook granting them millions of dollars by selling perosnal information to other companies. LOL

On the other side people spend millions into crowd funding for development which cna be gone.

So basically I come up with an amazing idea, start a company, raise 500.000 $ in crowd funding. Then I pay myself a salary of 40k each month and after programming for 11 month I need to admit it failed, blah blah yadda yadda, company is broke, get bankrupt and closes and I as person have the money-salary tax and anyone else nothing.

GG crowdfunding.

View PostVassago Rain, on 28 November 2014 - 03:39 AM, said:

None, to my knowledge, other than making some spacegolds mad because of SERIOUS CONCERN reasons.

Closest they have to anything bad is throwing in LTI with concept sales.

You can actually fly your ships in arena commander. They'll probably make another two fly-worthy before the year's over.

The better question is which of the promises have they yet finished? with the fundraised amont they can still develop further 10 years and still not break promises as long as they don't give any deadlines for specific features.

Edited by Lily from animove, 28 November 2014 - 03:56 AM.

#24 WhoopieMonster

• PipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 58 posts

You can fly some of the ships. Depending on which pledge you made. I don't think you can fly any of the capitols yet, costing over $400 each. The game is embryonic at best, which makes it moronic that they rage on about how greedy PGI is, and how many promises they have broken. There is plenty of time for Star Citizen and RSI to **** up.

$10,000 for a ship package? And they have the nerve to call PGI greedy for a bling clan mech. The only way they get away with it is because of the thin vale of calling it a 'pledge'. You can play the game, by game I mean you can fly around in an arena, but currently cannot buy anything without spending real money.

I may sound a little bitter, but it is only because I made the mistake of reading several pages of the thread linked in the opening post. I actualy have a Star Citizen account and a ship. It has the potential to be a good game. Just full of mouth breathers.

Posted Image

Edited by WhoopieMonster, 28 November 2014 - 03:52 AM.

#25 Alek Ituin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,525 posts
  • LocationMy Lolcust's cockpit

View PostDesolator, on 28 November 2014 - 02:06 AM, said:

Two things

1) Technically EVE doesnt have anything of real dollar value, since it can all be purchased/made with in game resources. Only stupid people pay $8,000 for something they can get for free.

2) Again unlike EVE SC makes you actually purchase ships for real world dollars unlike EVE. EVE you pay a subscription fee and everything is available to you.

You obviously fail to understand how the conversion works, or why I even brought it up. In fact, the point flew so far over your head it reach lunar orbit. PLEX can be bought and sold for ISK. PLEX can be bought for real money. Therefore, the going sell price for a PLEX (something like 650-750mil) can be converted in to a real money value. $15 converts to 650-750mil ISK.

Which means any ship with an ISK value, also has an indirect real-world monetary value.

But whatever.

#26 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:01 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 28 November 2014 - 03:51 AM, said:

The better question is which of the promises have they yet finished? with the fundraised amont they can still develop further 10 years and still not break promises as long as they don't give any deadlines for specific features.

Well, see, unlike here, there's actually all these design docs and devposts over there that tell you what they're working on, when they want it to be in, what state they think it'll end up being in, and so on.

I think they're working on the mobiglas HUD, pets, multi-crew ships, and implementing armor right now, but you can probably go over there and have a look for yourself.

#27 LORD ORION

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:09 AM

View PostCaptain Stiffy, on 28 November 2014 - 01:52 AM, said:

So like, rich people use this game to destroy each others wallets? Suddenly I'm all about it.

WWO
Wallet Warrior online

DireWolf of Wallstreet OP, plz nrf.

#28 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:09 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 28 November 2014 - 04:01 AM, said:

Well, see, unlike here, there's actually all these design docs and devposts over there that tell you what they're working on, when they want it to be in, what state they think it'll end up being in, and so on.

I think they're working on the mobiglas HUD, pets, multi-crew ships, and implementing armor right now, but you can probably go over there and have a look for yourself.

so they work on all features at once, make you have some shiny docs telling you something you can actually not judge if it is true or not?

There isn't much real progress atm, they shoudl finish base features, pets? rly, so necessary. The development there seems to be quite badly focused on the essential stuff.

I believe the things that I get and not that someone tells me I may get.

#29 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:10 AM

I am FAR more concerned with the trend that peole are actually spending money while the game is not completed yet. Hard to explain but if you give money to RSI or PGI before th actual product is delivered they still have the right to change the product at ANY TIME.

This is exactly what happened while PGI was in the hands of IGP. Remember all the rage about clans shortly after? Or other decent rare threads about marketing and changes.

Meaning you dont own anything. You own the rights to play, not the actual product.

That's far more disturbing.

Edited by Sarlic, 28 November 2014 - 04:11 AM.

#30 Karl Marlow

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:15 AM

View PostSarlic, on 28 November 2014 - 04:10 AM, said:

I am FAR more concerned with the trend that peole are actually spending money while the game is not completed yet. Hard to explain but if you give money to RSI or PGI before th actual product is delivered they still have the right to change the product at ANY TIME.

This is exactly what happened while PGI was in the hands of IGP. Remember all the rage about clans shortly after? Or other decent rare threads about marketing and changes.

Meaning you dont own anything. You own the rights to play, not the actual product.

That's far more disturbing.

Buying a ticket to a football game is also only buying the right to sit in a seat not buying the seat outright. You can't go the next week and expect entry. Be happy they aren't renting the things to us. WE have them until the game goes belly up which is alot longer than a single football game.

#31 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:17 AM

Comparing a $250 dollar ship in Star Citizen to a $250 Gold mech in MWO is moronic. The amount of content being worked on for Star Citizen is insane. You could make the argument that Star Citizen has almost come as far as MWO, with Arena Commander being up. There's already some ability to customize ships, but when that improves, I'd say the games have come about equally far. Except you can walk around in your hangar in SC, can't walk around in your mechbay in MWO.

It's going to take a lot of time before we see Star Citizen 1.0 as Chris Roberts has described it, with FPS-elements fully integrated, the ability to walk and shop on planets, mine asteroid fields, salvage ships, explore the galaxy, etc. But by MWO standards, they'll have a complete game as soon as Arena Commander 2.0 is out. And by that time, they'll already have something MWO doesn't. Multi-crewed vehicles. They may not have the galaxy map with flags as seen in CW, but... who cares? MWO will always be about fighting on the same maps over and over and over. Doesn't matter if it's a Davion or Steiner banner hanging on the gates.

View PostSarlic, on 28 November 2014 - 04:10 AM, said:

That's far more disturbing

It has to work that way with online computer games. The alternative is far more disturbing.

#32 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:18 AM

View PostThomasMarik, on 28 November 2014 - 04:15 AM, said:

Buying a ticket to a football game is also only buying the right to sit in a seat not buying the seat outright. You can't go the next week and expect entry. Be happy they aren't renting the things to us. WE have them until the game goes belly up which is alot longer than a single football game.

I get your point. But this whole early buy in, Alpha things and more is just getting out of hand.

Or buy X and get DLC X. Shortly YZ for full price available.
Those should be in the game in the first place.

#33 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:27 AM

View PostSarlic, on 28 November 2014 - 04:18 AM, said:

I get your point. But this whole early buy in, Alpha things and more is just getting out of hand.

Or buy X and get DLC X. Shortly YZ for full price available.
Those should be in the game in the first place.

That very much depends on the developer, quite a few will lock you out of content that's already included in the base game just so they can charge you for it later, but there's also a lot that will keep developing content post release to sell as DLC. That's the same as those expansion disks they were selling until a couple of years ago, basically a whole new game that's sold separately.

I know I didn't regret buying Burial At Sea DLC for Bioshock Infinite, and I didn't regret buying Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning with the two biggest DLC Packs, flawed as that game may be they did an excellent job on the DLC.

#34 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:28 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 28 November 2014 - 04:09 AM, said:

so they work on all features at once, make you have some shiny docs telling you something you can actually not judge if it is true or not?

There isn't much real progress atm, they shoudl finish base features, pets? rly, so necessary. The development there seems to be quite badly focused on the essential stuff.

I believe the things that I get and not that someone tells me I may get.

There's like 300 people working on the game now.

There's a separate studio doing multi-crew ships, one that looks over older ships and works on singleplayer, one doing FPS, various outsourcing, freelancers...

Like I said, you can go over there and read. They even do monthly reports on each individual team's progress.

Edited by Vassago Rain, 28 November 2014 - 04:34 AM.

#35 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:29 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 28 November 2014 - 04:28 AM, said:

There's like 300 people working on the game now.

There's a separate studio doing multi-crew ships, one that looks over older ships and works on singleplayer, one doing FPS, various outsourcing, freelancers...

Like I said, you can go over there and read. They even do monthly reports one ach individual team's progress.

Don't you get it? It's much easier to complain from the safety of the MWO forums than to actually see for yourself what CIG and SC are all about.

Edited by Satan n stuff, 28 November 2014 - 09:59 AM.

#36 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:41 AM

I have to double check that I wasn't on abovetopsecret.com while reading that thread.

#37 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:46 AM

I should let you guys know that PGI did offer me a refund after I asked, but I had spent money after the break-up

this was my first on-line game ever so I did not know how things worked so I declined the refund

In before the lock

#38 StraferX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:49 AM

I bought into RSI with the purchase of the Constellation and it's all in good faith that they will keep their end of the bargain.

From what I have watched they look to be making great strides in development and has the potential to be one heck of a game and possible a new era in gaming. RSI sits at a crucial point in gaming history falling on the wings of such huge failures like BF4, Assasins Creed, Titanfail and many other big names that have been complete flops. If RSI fails then I think it will be a huge downfall of the massive pre-order industry and crowd funding will become a thing of the past. If RSI is successful people will regain faith, other companies will do the same thing and turn around and rob them blind.

I think that the purchase of a $225 Constellation is a massive chunk of money for an E~ship but I have high hopes for the game and that takes a large chunk of what I would intend to spend for the year. I think we have all learned that these free to play games are more like Wallet warrior Online like Lord Orion stated. I am not one to purchase all content for these F2P games as beating the stuffing out of gold mechs with a trial mech is quite fulfilling. I did buy the wrath pack and that is all I have spent on MWO and all I will until I see major development and double the maps.

#39 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 28 November 2014 - 05:01 AM

View PostStraferX, on 28 November 2014 - 04:49 AM, said:

If RSI fails then I think it will be a huge downfall of the massive pre-order industry and crowd funding will become a thing of the past. If RSI is successful people will regain faith, other companies will do the same thing and turn around and rob them blind.

I do agree with the latter. And PGI already tried to rob people when they made... I keep forgetting the name of their space sim. Well, it's not important. It was a shoddy product with outdated graphics and a limited scope, and they tried to get people to pay top dollar for it.

However, I don't think crowd funding stands or falls based on Star Citizen's success. There's already so much successful crowd funding outside the gaming industry, I believe there is hope for this model regardless. What may change, however, is people spending thousands or tens of thousands of dollars on a game that already reached its funding goals. As RSI / CIG reaches new goals, they keep setting new ones. That's what makes me nervous, personally. I'm almost afraid of giving them more money, because they'll probably even more ambitious goals. If you give Chris Roberts ten million dollars more, he's likely to say that capital ships will be able to morph into giant gundams and kung fu fight each other in fully destructible urban environments, Godzilla-style. And it'll all work by using motion sensing input devices like Kinect, developed by RSI.

That's the only thing that worries me. What the hell will he do at $100 million? Map the entire Xi'an genome?

#40 Vandul

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationYork, New

Posted 28 November 2014 - 05:03 AM

Bill Roper, Derek Smart, John Romero, Richard Garriott, Brad McQuaig, Max Schaefer, David Allen, John Carmack, et al...

Dont be surprised when you have to add Chris Roberts to that long and distinguished list of designers who's egos were bigger than their capability.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users