374 replies to this topic

#41 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 28 November 2014 - 05:04 AM

View PostAlek Ituin, on 28 November 2014 - 01:47 AM, said:

Fakkin lol. SC fans are in one of two groups: The first group is normal, every day people, "Oh yeah, I'm watching/have backed SC, looks pretty nifty"; and the second group is rabid fans, "ERMEHGERD RSI IS TH BEST AND EVERYBODY ELSE SUCKS, SC BEST GAME EVER, IT DOESN'T EVEN MATTER THAT IT'S DELAYED TO HELL AND THERE'S NOTHING REALLY TO IT!!!!".

The second group will literally attempt to rip your arms off, and beat you to death with the soggy ends, if you say anything bad about RSI. I think the best term for them is "quasi-religious zealots"

Peeps get so excited about their favourite games as much as sports fans get excited about their favourite teams. For the companies themselves its not the same, they are in direct competition....

On Star Citizen I really think they will have a amazing game some time but exactly like Destiny they are missing some key elements that I honestly think Mechwarrior isnt missing.

Among other things Mechwarrior has the best ground side combat, the best star map, the best factions and these other games are completely missing theseand they shouldnt be or have them but they suck. :) To do these right they have to be in design from the start like Mechwarrior was....

My one concerne is that Mechwarrior will hold back on production and its full potential to give games like Star Citizen a chance in the market....

+1 for Aeotech :)

Edited by Johnny Z, 28 November 2014 - 05:29 AM.

#42 StraferX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 28 November 2014 - 05:08 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 28 November 2014 - 05:01 AM, said:

capital ships will be able to morph into giant gundams and kung fu fight each other in fully destructible urban environments, Godzilla-style. And it'll all work by using motion sensing input devices like Kinect, developed by RSI.

Dude if we get this I will drop my entire life savings into this product and never leave home again, I haft to get me one of those ferguson dissability cards and SSI. I do agree that the funding needs to stop at some point and completed product should come to the table before more funding is asked for.

#43 WhoopieMonster

• PipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 05:10 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 28 November 2014 - 04:17 AM, said:

Comparing a $250 dollar ship in Star Citizen to a $250 Gold mech in MWO is moronic. The amount of content being worked on for Star Citizen is insane.

Except $250 from a consumers point of view is still $250. If I deem it worth spending then I deem it worth $250. Calling PGI greedy for selling golden mechs for $500 is moronic when you are vouching for a game where you can by ships for just as much, and in some cases more money. What matters is what you deem it to be worth, not how many studios and documents they have detailing what they will spend your money on. It is a short sighted view, but one that I think the average gamer will hold.

Also back in the old days of MMOs the game was made before you spent a dime. It is only these recent incarnations that ask you to invest in ideas and screenshots. The problem is they ask you with loads of cool limited time only incentives. I wish I had a founders pack on MWO...

#44 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 05:16 AM

View PostWhoopieMonster, on 28 November 2014 - 05:10 AM, said:

Except $250 from a consumers point of view is still $250. If I deem it worth spending then I deem it worth $250. Calling PGI greedy for selling golden mechs for $500 is moronic when you are vouching for a game where you can by ships for just as much, and in some cases more money. What matters is what you deem it to be worth, not how many studios and documents they have detailing what they will spend your money on. It is a short sighted view, but one that I think the average gamer will hold.

Also back in the old days of MMOs the game was made before you spent a dime. It is only these recent incarnations that ask you to invest in ideas and screenshots. The problem is they ask you with loads of cool limited time only incentives. I wish I had a founders pack on MWO...

All of this above and the whole kickstarter trend is because the market is saturated. Why is the market completely saturated? Because its one of, if not the biggest entertainment industries at the moment, HUGE MONEY. But there is hundreds of games trying to get a piece of that.

#45 Marmon Rzohr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 769 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the universe, probably

Posted 28 November 2014 - 05:21 AM

3RD PERSON !!!!!!

* BERSERKER MODE: ACTIVATED*

/thread

#46 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 05:46 AM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 28 November 2014 - 01:06 AM, said:

https://forums.rober...ior-online/p406

They try going to the news in Canada to destroy PGI and the game.

Wow, guys, let it go -.-

I see the star Citizen fans are passionate about their game and like to dis other games.

I think Mechwarrior fans should show them how its done and one of us should run around the Star Citizen parking lot naked painted like a battlemech. :lol:

I added a smiley face in case anyone thought it was a good idea lol. I can hear it now at the Star Citizen office. "Hey boss theres another naked mechwarrior fan running around the parking lot, call security more may be on the way."

Edited by Johnny Z, 28 November 2014 - 06:04 AM.

#47 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 05:48 AM

View PostAlek Ituin, on 28 November 2014 - 01:47 AM, said:

SC fans are in one of two groups: The first group is normal, every day people, "Oh yeah, I'm watching/have backed SC, looks pretty nifty"; and the second group is rabid fans, "ERMEHGERD RSI IS TH BEST AND EVERYBODY ELSE SUCKS, SC BEST GAME EVER, IT DOESN'T EVEN MATTER THAT IT'S DELAYED TO HELL AND THERE'S NOTHING REALLY TO IT!!!!".

The second group will literally attempt to rip your arms off, and beat you to death with the soggy ends, if you say anything bad about RSI. I think the best term for them is "quasi-religious zealots"

You missed the point. It's not RSI or Star Citizen fans that want to do that. They are just some guys that want to protect the world from the evil that is MWO and PGI.

For them, nothing good will ever come from either source. If they have something that they actually find good in MWO or PGI, they will soon make up a reason why it isn't good at all and turn it into the downfall of the gaming industry, if it isn't stopped.

Another behavior I have seen repeatedly, is this one:
A new guy comes into the thread and writes that he actually likes MWO. At first, he will get a response, that this is his right to do so and that he will not get flamed for it, but there are things he should now. If the new guy does not agree to those things or disregards them as meaningless for him, he gets flamed and insulted practically immediatly after.

This thread is a little (well... actually pretty big) place of ex-MWO players who left by their own accord or got themself banned for various reasons and now hate the game and its developer with all their might (some more and some less then the others, but their goal is the same) and seek to sabotage it by bad word of mouth, or now bad press. They will never admit to it. Their proclaimed reason for doing all this is that they want to save other players from making a mistake. Their actions do not reflect that though.

Hey... you'll probably find a screenshot of this post of mine over there shortly. They don't like it if they get called out on their behavior either.

This whole thread over there makes me so sad. Most of the rest of the RSI forums is a rather normal gaming community.

Edited by Egomane, 28 November 2014 - 06:05 AM.

#48 RalphVargr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • LocationTureded, Lanth Subsector, Spinward Marches

Posted 28 November 2014 - 06:13 AM

Got to read the referenced threads a little.

Verrrry interesting. :)

Egomane: You're not a mod anymore?

#49 orcrist86

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon Institute of Science

Posted 28 November 2014 - 06:14 AM

The sc forums are filled with the self righteous.

#50 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 06:18 AM

View PostRalphVargr, on 28 November 2014 - 06:13 AM, said:

Egomane: You're not a mod anymore?

For over a week now! :)

View Postorcrist86, on 28 November 2014 - 06:14 AM, said:

The sc forums are filled with the self righteous.

Does such a post make you any better?
The SC forums have the same percentage of self rightous guys as we do. They also have the same percentage of decent guys.

#51 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 28 November 2014 - 06:18 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 28 November 2014 - 01:56 AM, said:

63.5 million dollars in funding and counting.

In all seriousness, it has about the same content as MWO, but it suffers from a critical flaw: you must submit to Nintendo-styled friends codes, rather than a sane lobby, or a friend's list. They're allegedly gonna fix this in the upcoming patch, which will add armor and more guns.

Counter-point: It took MW:O three years in and well after "launch" to get a way to make private games in.

I can live with a crappy placeholder "lobby" system, since they at least understand "Support teams in every way you can as a priority" right out of the gate.

That said, realitively speaking, Arena Commander is not yet quite to the level of balance, polish, etc. as even the first MW alpha just yet. It's made leaps and bounds and we've started actively playing it, but with no persistant way to earn credits (even just from dog fighting), all the modification balance being REALLY broken (6 Omniskys makes our PPC woes look silly), etc. it's not quite "there" yet for a game you can really mainline.

Soon, though. The progress made in the last four months has been absolutely stellar.

Edited by Victor Morson, 28 November 2014 - 06:20 AM.

#52 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 28 November 2014 - 06:23 AM

View PostMarmon Rzohr, on 28 November 2014 - 05:21 AM, said:

3RD PERSON !!!!!!

* BERSERKER MODE: ACTIVATED*

/thread

People don't get the reason this was a thing. It was a thing because features that needed, desperately, to be looked at were outright shafted in favor of a system nobody wanted, and would only be useful for exploiting.

3rd Person doesn't matter much in space, and they've been opening since having it from the start. RSI never claimed to "kick dirt" when 3PV was brought up, or insist it'd be 1PV only. Day 0, right up front with it.

That right there is the difference.

Frankly I wonder how different a place we'd be if Russ took over for Paul on the game design stuff earlier. I'm scared what he's going to do to CW though, honestly. But MW:O's gameplay has made huge improvements immediately following this swap up, which has more to do with it than the IGP thing ever did IMO.

#53 RalphVargr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • LocationTureded, Lanth Subsector, Spinward Marches

Posted 28 November 2014 - 06:29 AM

View PostEgomane, on 28 November 2014 - 06:18 AM, said:

For over a week now! :)

Does such a post make you any better?
The SC forums have the same percentage of self rightous guys as we do. They also have the same percentage of decent guys.

Thanks. It must feel like the day I escaped from the military with an Honorable Discharge

You mean forums are filled with obsessed online gamers? Quelle Idee!

#54 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 28 November 2014 - 06:30 AM

View PostEgomane, on 28 November 2014 - 05:48 AM, said:

You missed the point. It's not RSI or Star Citizen fans that want to do that. They are just some guys that want to protect the world from the evil that is MWO and PGI.

For them, nothing good will ever come from either source. If they have something that they actually find good in MWO or PGI, they will soon make up a reason why it isn't good at all and turn it into the downfall of the gaming industry, if it isn't stopped.

A new guy comes into the thread and writes that he actually likes MWO. At first, he will get a response, that this is his right to do so and that he will not get flamed for it, but there are things he should now. If the new guy does not agree to those things or disregards them as meaningless for him, he gets flamed and insulted practically immediatly after.

This thread is a little (well... actually pretty big) place of ex-MWO players who left by their own accord or got themself banned for various reasons and now hate the game and its developer with all their might (some more and some less then the others, but their goal is the same) and seek to sabotage it by bad word of mouth, or now bad press. They will never admit to it. Their proclaimed reason for doing all this is that they want to save other players from making a mistake. Their actions do not reflect that though.

Hey... you'll probably find a screenshot of this post of mine over there shortly. They don't like it if they get called out on their behavior either.

This whole thread over there makes me so sad. Most of the rest of the RSI forums is a rather normal gaming community.

thats probably because they dedicate their time to a game that isn't a game yet and thats why they have too much time on hating something. Otherwise they would spend their time with something they have fun instead of hating. I never hate games, atm I dislike them I just go to another one, its not like there are only 3 games available worldwide. There are more than i eill ever be able to play in my whole lifetime, and so I have no time to waste on hating.

#55 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 28 November 2014 - 06:44 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 28 November 2014 - 03:39 AM, said:

None, to my knowledge, other than making some spacegolds mad because of SERIOUS CONCERN reasons.

Closest they have to anything bad is throwing in LTI with concept sales.

"Arena Commander will be released by end of year 2013 no matter what."

"We're holding off on releasing Arena Commander to add some polish."

#56 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 28 November 2014 - 06:46 AM

View PostEgomane, on 28 November 2014 - 05:48 AM, said:

I like the RSI threadnought.
It's served as a true testament of how not to conduct player-dev relations for close to two years now. Things have been looking up since certain people associated with PGI were let go, however, and I hope the healing continues, rather than that more bad stuff happens.

It got really funny during transverse, though. So many old mechwarriors came out the woodwork not only all over RSI, but on my fighting game forums (!).

On the obvious matter, that of which is IGP taking the MWT money and running away, while selling founder packs until the day their server went offline, that's just scummy behavior, and they deserve to be punished for that - to the fullest extent of the law, if the MWT players should see fit to actually carry through with the rumored lawsuit.

View PostHeffay, on 28 November 2014 - 06:44 AM, said:

"Arena Commander will be released by end of year 2013 no matter what."

"We're holding off on releasing Arena Commander to add some polish."

I was one of tens of thousands who voted 'yes' when he asked if we wanted default cryengine netcode, or would rather wait up to 6 months for an actual good one.

#57 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 28 November 2014 - 06:49 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 28 November 2014 - 06:46 AM, said:

I was one of tens of thousands who voted 'yes' when he asked if we wanted default cryengine netcode, or would rather wait up to 6 months for an actual good one.

How about "The day they release Arena Commander is the day that MWO dies and I leave it forever."

Oh wait... that wasn't CIG...

#58 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 06:53 AM

View PostHeffay, on 28 November 2014 - 06:49 AM, said:

How about "The day they release Arena Commander is the day that MWO dies and I leave it forever."

Oh wait... that wasn't CIG...

But I kinda did, mister Heffay. Did you miss me quitting the forum between november last year to june this year? My super low game activity? That's not even getting into the tranverse fallout, which was pretty serious for other reasons.

I mean, you're totally still entitled to your opinion that delaying a fundamental feature of the game, so that you don't release a minimally viable product, is somehow bad for everybody involved, but you're gonna have problems finding someone else who agrees with this position of yours that you've assumed as of the present time.

Edit: before anyone asks, no, I personally have no bad blood left with anyone who's involved with this game. All those people have now quit, or been removed from the project. From here on out, I don't really know where the game's headed. If Russ keeps on keeping it real, maybe there's a future. If not, then it's probably over by Q2 next year.

But that's a debate for another thread. You may now resume hating on spaceships.

Edited by Vassago Rain, 28 November 2014 - 06:56 AM.

#59 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 28 November 2014 - 06:58 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 28 November 2014 - 06:53 AM, said:

But I kinda did, mister Heffay. Did you miss me quitting the forum between november last year to june this year? My super low game activity?

I mean, you're totally still entitled to your opinion that delaying a fundamental feature of the game, so that you don't release a minimally viable product, is somehow bad for everybody involved, but you're gonna have problems finding someone else who agrees with this position of yours that you've assumed as of the present time.

You do realize that when SC is released, it too will be released as a "minimally viable product", right? People key in on that phrase not knowing what it really means. Just that it sounds salacious. But it's actually fine, and just a common industry (multi-industry, since it's not just limited to the gaming world) for a product that has all the features necessary to be viable for sale. There will be a number of stretch goals in SC that won't be implemented at launch, just because they aren't needed as part of a minimally viable product. They'll get added on later as the game gets further developed.

#60 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 07:00 AM

View PostHeffay, on 28 November 2014 - 06:58 AM, said:

You do realize that when SC is released, it too will be released as a "minimally viable product", right? People key in on that phrase not knowing what it really means. Just that it sounds salacious. But it's actually fine, and just a common industry (multi-industry, since it's not just limited to the gaming world) for a product that has all the features necessary to be viable for sale. There will be a number of stretch goals in SC that won't be implemented at launch, just because they aren't needed as part of a minimally viable product. They'll get added on later as the game gets further developed.

It won't be. They have far too many people working on it for that. Then again, what's their release gonna be? Before or after the three modules are all out? With one? In a couple more patches, arena commander, alone, will have about as much content and features as MWO.

It's simply a matter of them having more time, people, and expertise to draw upon. I mean, come on, they have not only crytek engineers now, but the living legends brothers, and veterans who worked on pretty much every classic PC game ever.

SC 'minimally viable product' will far eclipse both elite and MWO. I'm sorry, but that's just how it works when you have 6 times the manpower.

Edited by Vassago Rain, 28 November 2014 - 07:01 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users