#21 Chemie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:17 AM

View PostTorgun, on 28 November 2014 - 10:06 AM, said:

Used to be ! could play an hour or two most days and feel what I get in CBills for my performance. Now even when I basically kill a whole enemy lance myself when the results are summed up, I get 160K for it. Yeah, Logout -> Exit-> Yes I want to exit FFS.

I know, right?
3 kills, 5 assists and 120,000. gg

#22 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:26 AM

The basic concept of games is just that.. it's a game. Some gamers are more dedicated to games than others. You're correct about how you aren't alone on the fact that some games start feeling like hard(er) work than they are fun but at the same time.. effortless games get boring real quick compared to the ones you have to put effort into.

I enjoy Mechwarrior Online because it gives me goals to work toward to make my experience better in the game and allow to make myself more useful in the field instead of joining a battle.. trying to deal a lot of damage (or get at least get a kill) before getting killed and joining another battle to repeat the process. Mechwarrior Online is one of the very few online games I've played that does not make me feel that I absolutely MUST pay real money into it to get anywhere in the game or be more of a worthy competitor in the field.

If you feel that your "free" time isn't worth spent here with us, I apologize that you feel that way but I for one don't feel that way even in the slightest when it comes to spending my free time here with the other members of Mechwarrior Online. If I could spend money toward this game to get the items that only one who spends money can get then I would but I have other things that take higher priority of which I'll take care of first. (Gas in my car, food in the fridge/on the table/in my belly, clothes on my back, hygiene products, utility bills, etc) When I finally get enough spare money to dedicate/donate then I will.

As for your concern over whether or not they missed the point of making the game fun to play.. You couldn't be further from the truth. The moderators here for Mechwarrior Online have dedicated their time and efforts into making the game more enjoyable to spend our free time in. They even participate in battles in the field with us and invite us to add them to our friendlist (which I have yet to do but I'm lazy like that). They review questions and concerns over details of the game that should or could be fixed to iron out glitches that we may stumble upon, some are game-changing (like falling through or getting stuck on certain parts of the map) and others are purely cosmetic ("Why the hell does my autocannon look like a machine gun?") Sure it may take time for them to get to the problem presented to them but they do their best to try repairing those glitches so the problems go away until the next glitch is stumbled upon.

As to your last statement
"PGI has more to worry about on 16 DEC 2014 than releasing CW. It had better be a blockbuster, because more things than CW are competing for a paying audience's attention.

Like my date coming up on Saturday... :)"
you give me the impression that no matter what anyone does.. you'll ALWAYS feel that something more could be done and I kind of feel sorry for anyone who tries their best to earn your approval as it seems no matter what they do they may never achieve it 'cause you are never happy nor satisfied with what you come across and/or expect in life.

This is only a suggestion.. but maybe you should dial it back a bit and be more appreciative for what others do when they provide entertaining things to do with our free time instead of soiling on all that is shiny.

#23 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:28 AM

They've seen through the charade?

#24 Lucky Noob

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sovereign
  • The Sovereign
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:31 AM

Nothing is free in this World, exept Death, and that costs you your Life :D

I dont regret any Minute i played MWO, its always fun for me,so Life is good.

#25 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:55 AM

The gameplay is fun, but even with premium time, the grind makes it unenjoyable.

#26 RiggsIron

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:58 AM

There is a vast sea of difference in gameplay and enjoyment between starter mechs with no basics/mastery done yet - and good mechs that are mastered.

Like a really, really big gap.

Trying to grind C-bills in weak mechs - or trying to get a chassis mastered only to find out after you start playing it why it is weak - is a painful experience and can take a very long time.

Or just break down and buy a Timberwolf or the package - and giggle in how vastly easier the game is and how much more damage and speed you have.

The game is very painful as a FTP.

View PostSaobh, on 28 November 2014 - 07:53 AM, said:

Guys Community Warfare is in a bit more then 2 weeks ... that should shake things up a bit.

I would understand this kind of thread poping up 6 months ago but not just when CW is almost here.

Maybe you should re-read the OP again.

#27 Bongo TauKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 559 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationPain, Inner Perpihery, Lyran Commonwealth.

Posted 28 November 2014 - 11:16 AM

I love nothing more than to sit down at night and get on line with this game. I will admit that I am a huge addict to the Battletech and Mechwarrior universes. So being able to climb into the cockpit and tear through a swamp in a 12 meter tall war machine is fun as hell for me.

I can understand that the concept of free-to-play is misleading in name. While you can play for no cash as it states you will eventually want or need to spend real money to be a "have" in the game. That being said, if it was only free then the game would not exist for long.

If the game has become a burden than it cannot be fun obviously. There is a gap between the afore mentioned haves and have nots. However that is in any game. Those who buy DLCs and those who don't as an example. It is the nature of a video game to generate cash to sustain it. You can buy say Borderlands 2 and play it through as it was presented but you are given the option to purchase the DLCs to enjoy the game even further.

The game is what it is. As with all F2Ps it promotes it self through being free to encourage players to spend more and keep the creators making money. If you enjoy the game enough to spend some cash now and again then great. But if you do not want a game with that mechanic in it there are plenty of games out there that you can enjoy for a flat purchase price.

I wil defy you to find a MMORPG however that does not operate in the same way. The game industry is gravitating more and more to the same purchase dynamic. WIth this and the add on DLCs that have already entrenched themselves in the buisness you may not find free in anything nor a single buy in.

#28 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 28 November 2014 - 11:17 AM

View PostRalphVargr, on 28 November 2014 - 06:44 AM, said:

Money is only one cost.

Time is the real cost.

I like what Extra Credit says about making "F2P" better: "The game should be fun to spend money on".

What they missed was that the game should be fun to spend TIME on.

When the time spent on a game approaches that of a half-time job, that should be the cutoff point.

MWO has reached that point. To advance in the quality of skills, and the race for content, you are spending too much time on this game. The weekend events demonstrate this clearly.

Are there games that have markets for pro-level skills? Certainly.

Are there markets for games that have content that is more expensive than a casual player would wish to spend than on an AAA title? Certainly.

MWO has both of these attributes. And, MWO is becoming less fun to play, for me.

And, I do not think I am alone. PGI has more to worry about on 16 DEC 2014 than releasing CW. It had better be a blockbuster, because more things than CW are competing for a paying audience's attention.

Like my date coming up on Saturday... :)

Uh...this isn't a problem for the game, or even the community. It's a personal problem.

See if you want to be competitive, then you have to put in the time. If you actually have the ability, then you get what you want. No problem here.

If you want to be, but can't be competitive, then you need to face facts and move on. Again, no problem here that isn't all you.

If you just want to have fun, then play as much as is fun. See the pattern forming?

If you want to have fun, and MWO isn't fun anymore, or only so-so, then guess what?

Lastly, coming on to a gaming forum to brag about having a date is the best way in the world for people to assume your date is a lunch date with your mom. :P

#29 RalphVargr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • LocationTureded, Lanth Subsector, Spinward Marches

Posted 28 November 2014 - 11:26 AM

View PostXeven, on 28 November 2014 - 07:03 AM, said:

Not sure what you or maybe your parents do to earn a living and pay for your internet connection but I do know what PGI did to earn theirs. They build this game.

0/10. It has been an honor.

View PostPiney, on 28 November 2014 - 07:44 AM, said:

If the game is no longer is no longer fun for you, the solution is very simple - walk away.

Doing it, slowly. :)

#30 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 28 November 2014 - 11:29 AM

Maybe you can tell your date after you take her out for dinner

"There's no such thing as free to play"

#31 RalphVargr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

View PostAlex Warden Wolf, on 28 November 2014 - 10:02 AM, said:

nothing is free in the free world... is this really a topic that has to be argued about again and again?

Yes.

#32 Mott

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 887 posts
  • Location[MW] Ransom's Corsairs

View PostRalphVargr, on 28 November 2014 - 06:44 AM, said:

Money is only one cost.

Time is the real cost.

I like what Extra Credit says about making "F2P" better: "The game should be fun to spend money on".

What they missed was that the game should be fun to spend TIME on.

And what if some of us have found ways to make it fun for us?

I'll be the first to admit that compared to past MW titles - and pretty much any other F2P, MMO out there - MWO has pretty much no depth or game-designed reason to really play for long.

But, its mechs are gorgeous, pilot and feel better than anything else ever produced AND THERE'S A TON OF THEM!

Beyond that, the true fun comes from group play. I probably woulda effed off way back in August when that last Players-vs-PGI clash happened... but i stuck around because my unit, Ransom's Corsairs, is a great bunch of people that are the perfect mix of nice, hilarious, quirky and fun to hang out with.

I can't think of a better way to spend my "wasted time" than with my RC brethren, blasting mechs and making lame jokes.

Edited by Mott, 28 November 2014 - 11:34 AM.

#33 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 28 November 2014 - 11:34 AM

View PostRalphVargr, on 28 November 2014 - 11:29 AM, said:

Yes.

Why? Don't like it, don't spend money on it. No one is using force here, therefore your "moral outrage" is just self-important grandstanding so you can feel like you "did something" that way you don't feel bad about not doing anything to actually help other people.

How about just stop pretending you care about other people, let go of the guilt and get on with your life? Or if you actually do care, then go do something effective.

If this is just a case of thinking you are so special that random people on the intarwebz should care about your trials and travails in MWO, yea no.

#34 RalphVargr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 11:43 AM

View PostRazorbeastFXK3, on 28 November 2014 - 10:26 AM, said:

"PGI has more to worry about on 16 DEC 2014 than releasing CW. It had better be a blockbuster, because more things than CW are competing for a paying audience's attention.

Like my date coming up on Saturday... :)"
you give me the impression that no matter what anyone does.. you'll ALWAYS feel that something more could be done and I kind of feel sorry for anyone who tries their best to earn your approval as it seems no matter what they do they may never achieve it 'cause you are never happy nor satisfied with what you come across and/or expect in life.

1/10. It has been an honor.

View PostBongo TauKat Talasko, on 28 November 2014 - 11:16 AM, said:

I love nothing more than to sit down at night and get on line with this game. I will admit that I am a huge addict to the Battletech and Mechwarrior universes. So being able to climb into the cockpit and tear through a swamp in a 12 meter tall war machine is fun as hell for me.

I can understand that the concept of free-to-play is misleading in name. While you can play for no cash as it states you will eventually want or need to spend real money to be a "have" in the game. That being said, if it was only free then the game would not exist for long.

If the game has become a burden than it cannot be fun obviously. There is a gap between the afore mentioned haves and have nots. However that is in any game. Those who buy DLCs and those who don't as an example. It is the nature of a video game to generate cash to sustain it. You can buy say Borderlands 2 and play it through as it was presented but you are given the option to purchase the DLCs to enjoy the game even further.

The game is what it is. As with all F2Ps it promotes it self through being free to encourage players to spend more and keep the creators making money. If you enjoy the game enough to spend some cash now and again then great. But if you do not want a game with that mechanic in it there are plenty of games out there that you can enjoy for a flat purchase price.

I wil defy you to find a MMORPG however that does not operate in the same way. The game industry is gravitating more and more to the same purchase dynamic. WIth this and the add on DLCs that have already entrenched themselves in the buisness you may not find free in anything nor a single buy in.

This old, arthritic dog may not be buying very much more online content, then.

View PostNick Makiaveli, on 28 November 2014 - 11:34 AM, said:

Why? Don't like it, don't spend money on it. No one is using force here, therefore your "moral outrage" is just self-important grandstanding so you can feel like you "did something" that way you don't feel bad about not doing anything to actually help other people.

How about just stop pretending you care about other people, let go of the guilt and get on with your life? Or if you actually do care, then go do something effective.

If this is just a case of thinking you are so special that random people on the intarwebz should care about your trials and travails in MWO, yea no.

1/10. It has been an honor.

#35 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 November 2014 - 12:35 PM

From wikipedia:

"Free-to-play (F2P) refers to video games which give players access to a significant portion of their content without paying. There are several kinds of free-to-play games, but the most common is based on the freemium software model. For freemium games, users are granted access to a fully functional game, but must pay microtransactions to access additional content. Free-to-play can be contrasted with pay-to-play, in which payment is required before using a service for the first time."

Clearly, F2P refers to money. If you want to create your own definition for games that require time that is your prerogative.But MWO is clearly F2P regardless of your thread title...

#36 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:59 PM

View PostBulletsponge0, on 28 November 2014 - 09:51 AM, said:

Everyone knows that Browns fans are a little "off" to begin with ;)

"off" is the extremely PC and polite way of describing it.

#37 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 28 November 2014 - 02:05 PM

View Post3xnihilo, on 28 November 2014 - 09:32 AM, said:

Perhaps you should move a little south and east so you could follow a real team...

Well, Browns fans have their hopes up too high now. How people forget history.

I mean, a 'real team', that would be any other team say maybe for the Titans or Raiders.
But hey, the Cavs are the only big team with any real expectations.

Long as i have boxing...

#38 Mothykins

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 1,125 posts
  • Locationilikerice is my hero.

Posted 28 November 2014 - 02:21 PM

View PostBraddack, on 28 November 2014 - 10:31 AM, said:

Nothing is free in this World, exept Death, and that costs you your Life :D

I dont regret any Minute i played MWO, its always fun for me,so Life is good.

Nah, do you know how much it costs to die?

$600-3000 just for taking care of the body. Then the Government taxes the **** out of everything you owned now that you're dead.

That's right, even when you die, the government taxes you. Death is expensive, much like living.

#39 ollo

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 02:21 PM

View PostBurktross, on 28 November 2014 - 10:55 AM, said:

The gameplay is fun, but even with premium time, the grind makes it unenjoyable.

Well, i guess you could do fine with a handful of mechs or even one mastered mech, it's what CS:S does the whole time. But as the game holds enough carrots in front of you and there are a lot of mechs out there, your hunter-gatherer-instinct is only half catered to in this model. I (and many others i assume) just want to collect mechs and have a lot of variety, which means A LOT of CB to outfit your mech with upgrades, weapons and especially modules.

Fortunately PGI creates many broken mechs, so the need to play all of them is reduced because you know they won't be worth the buck. Quirks seek to change this.

#40 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 02:23 PM

View PostInspectorG, on 28 November 2014 - 01:59 PM, said:

"off" is the extremely PC and polite way of describing it.

well....wasn't sure how to spell "masochistic"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users