45 replies to this topic

#1 RalphVargr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • LocationTureded, Lanth Subsector, Spinward Marches

Posted 28 November 2014 - 06:44 AM

Money is only one cost.

Time is the real cost.

I like what Extra Credit says about making "F2P" better: "The game should be fun to spend money on".

What they missed was that the game should be fun to spend TIME on.

When the time spent on a game approaches that of a half-time job, that should be the cutoff point.

MWO has reached that point. To advance in the quality of skills, and the race for content, you are spending too much time on this game. The weekend events demonstrate this clearly.

Are there games that have markets for pro-level skills? Certainly.

Are there markets for games that have content that is more expensive than a casual player would wish to spend than on an AAA title? Certainly.

MWO has both of these attributes. And, MWO is becoming less fun to play, for me.

And, I do not think I am alone. PGI has more to worry about on 16 DEC 2014 than releasing CW. It had better be a blockbuster, because more things than CW are competing for a paying audience's attention.

Like my date coming up on Saturday... :)

#2 Bulletsponge0

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 06:47 AM

the game is fun to spend time on...at least for me it is. Not sure how your experience differs, maybe I'm just a more patient and tolerant person...

#3 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 06:51 AM

If the time you spend on playing a game is not fun for you anymore, but becomes more like work, it is time to let go.

A game is a game and should always be played because it is fun and entertaining. Making a game into work during non-working hours, is not a concept you should follow.

For me, MWO is still a game. I play an hour this day or the other, sometimes two, sometimes three and sometimes even whole days. And then there are weeks, where I don't play it at all.

#4 Xeven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 28 November 2014 - 07:03 AM

Not sure what you or maybe your parents do to earn a living and pay for your internet connection but I do know what PGI did to earn theirs. They build this game.

#5 Tezcatli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 07:11 AM

The combat is the best mech combat we have. Unless you want to go back in time and play the older games. Or Armored Core 3. It can be a blast. Literally.

With that said. I haven't played in like 3 weeks. It can be a boring grind. And since they don't yet offer per battle boosters. I can't justify spending $15 on premium time I'll only barely get to use. I split my time with other things.

So you have a point. But the grind is the point. They have to have a grind so people pay to shorten it. But even with premium time you still feel like you're chugging along. Same reason I stopped playing World of Tanks. However the game play in that just got boring to me and unlocking anything past a certain tier was impossible.

#6 CygnusX7

• 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 28 November 2014 - 07:20 AM

Wish I could play more and I'm not the type of person who does things that bore me.

#7 Chemie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 28 November 2014 - 07:36 AM

I spent 120MM CB in past week (Timbers and Dires) plus 50 on modules. That wad was from 2 years of grind. Yes, grind is way too long, especially for clan mechs (which are supposed to be equal to IS mechs but arnt).

Thats 170MM CB or about 1,700 hours of game play (6 months at 10 hours per week)

Edited by Chemie, 28 November 2014 - 07:37 AM.

#8 StraferX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 28 November 2014 - 07:43 AM

I agree that it gets boring with so few maps and stagnant game modes. Playing with a team improves the quality of time spent here but that only go's so far. WE have a ton of mechs, a few bad maps a couple ok maps and a couple good maps just not near enough content for the time the game has been live to keep me interested for long periods of time. I have high hopes for CW but if it's not great then i will be falling back to some other games I play and drift out of MWO and use it as an occasional game to fall back to.

F2P is expensive I wish we could go back to the days of purchasing a finished product and the mod community built off that.

#9 Piney II

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 07:44 AM

If the game is no longer is no longer fun for you, the solution is very simple - walk away.

#10 keith

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 07:45 AM

the only game i ever found fun to spend money on was tf2. played with a fun bunch of ppl on the SAME SERVER(get the cue pgi) on events/holidays everyone open gifts for everyone. was a great community. u could open random crates for hats, ppl gave out random hats to new ppl. the community grew. was good times. 1600 hours later and 300 bucks later i had to quite the habit of tf2.

#11 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 28 November 2014 - 07:46 AM

View PostRalphVargr, on 28 November 2014 - 06:44 AM, said:

Money is only one cost.

Time is the real cost.

I like what Extra Credit says about making "F2P" better: "The game should be fun to spend money on".

What they missed was that the game should be fun to spend TIME on.

When the time spent on a game approaches that of a half-time job, that should be the cutoff point.

MWO has reached that point. To advance in the quality of skills, and the race for content, you are spending too much time on this game. The weekend events demonstrate this clearly.

Are there games that have markets for pro-level skills? Certainly.

Are there markets for games that have content that is more expensive than a casual player would wish to spend than on an AAA title? Certainly.

MWO has both of these attributes. And, MWO is becoming less fun to play, for me.

And, I do not think I am alone. PGI has more to worry about on 16 DEC 2014 than releasing CW. It had better be a blockbuster, because more things than CW are competing for a paying audience's attention.

Like my date coming up on Saturday... :)

Spending time for fun? I though that was obvious. Many people spend time on things they 'enjoy' to dislike.

Cleveland Browns fans spend $ and time on a team that for the last several decades have beaten the statistical average for lousiness.

If you still spend time on it, whatever it is, you value it. Otherwise you wouldnt do it.

#12 HARDKOR

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 07:52 AM

Hmm, I think I spent a million hours playing MW4 and the only work I remember was getting people to play league games vs. Playing a game is not work. Pick a mech, level it up, and stop chasing after the others if you just want to play. Just because there are a crapload of mechs doesn't mean you need to have them. Contain your greed and just play the game.

Edited by HARDKOR, 28 November 2014 - 07:52 AM.

#13 Ronan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted 28 November 2014 - 07:52 AM

I think the whole reason for his (double?) post is to brag that he has a date on Saturday night. XD

For me, I don't care how much fun a computer game is... dates with real people always trump the computer.

(I'm... not normal. I love playing this stupid game as it is now. Yes, I should seek help. But I never miss date night!!)

#14 Saobh

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 197 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 07:53 AM

Guys Community Warfare is in a bit more then 2 weeks ... that should shake things up a bit.

I would understand this kind of thread poping up 6 months ago but not just when CW is almost here.

Edited by Saobh, 28 November 2014 - 07:54 AM.

#15 HARDKOR

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 08:03 AM

View PostRonan, on 28 November 2014 - 07:52 AM, said:

I think the whole reason for his (double?) post is to brag that he has a date on Saturday night. XD

For me, I don't care how much fun a computer game is... dates with real people always trump the computer.

(I'm... not normal. I love playing this stupid game as it is now. Yes, I should seek help. But I never miss date night!!)

Hehe, I won't doing much besides reheating leftovers and playing this, till my date on saturday night :P

Posted Image

#16 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 08:38 AM

Well I don't play this game religiously because yea it gets boring, but so does every game. I take breaks and play other games so I don't become overly bored with one game.

#17 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 28 November 2014 - 09:32 AM

View PostInspectorG, on 28 November 2014 - 07:46 AM, said:

Spending time for fun? I though that was obvious. Many people spend time on things they 'enjoy' to dislike.

Cleveland Browns fans spend $ and time on a team that for the last several decades have beaten the statistical average for lousiness.

If you still spend time on it, whatever it is, you value it. Otherwise you wouldnt do it.

Perhaps you should move a little south and east so you could follow a real team...

#18 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 09:51 AM

View PostInspectorG, on 28 November 2014 - 07:46 AM, said:

Everyone knows that Browns fans are a little "off" to begin with ;)

Go Pack Go!!!

#19 Alex Warden Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 115 posts
  • LocationSearching...

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:02 AM

nothing is free in the free world... is this really a topic that has to be argued about again and again?

#20 Torgun

• 1,598 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:06 AM

Used to be ! could play an hour or two most days and feel what I get in CBills for my performance. Now even when I basically kill a whole enemy lance myself when the results are summed up, I get 160K for it. Yeah, Logout -> Exit-> Yes I want to exit FFS.

Edited by Torgun, 28 November 2014 - 10:06 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users