64 replies to this topic

#41 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:15 PM

View PostFoxwalker, on 28 November 2014 - 08:35 AM, said:

Welcome to the Mist Lynx of the Inner Sphere.

Was just going to say this, at least to a degree. Speed comparison is dead on however your comparing a 35 ton, fully customizable mech to a 25 ton mech with most everything locked on its build.

Panther can go max engine and max armor with room for 13 tons of weapons and equipment vs 6.5 tons on the Mist Lynx. Also that max armor is 238 not the 178 of the Mist Lynx. Additionally it isn't going to be stuck with crazy poorly scaled weapons pods on its arms and actually has weapons in its torso so won't suffered being, pardon the pun, disarmed like the Mist Lynx will.

Plus finally, I don't really find the 124 kph the Mist Lynx is able to run as being all that slow.

Edited by Viktor Drake, 28 November 2014 - 01:15 PM.

#42 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:23 PM

View PostChemie, on 28 November 2014 - 08:07 AM, said:

A 35 ton mech with max engine of 250?? Really? Other 35 tonners get 295 or 300 max and you gimp the panther with 250 max?

Oh, and it only has 2 hardpoints in the one arm (ignoring the CT missiles which are only good for 2xSSRM)

So a light that goes 115 OR 127 kph max.

and no ECM
Pretend Panther 10-K

The 9R is marginally better with 4 energy hardpoints but why would you run a panther with 4 vs a Firestarter with 8??? How is Panther even close to being useful vs jenner, Firestarter (or ECM versions of spider and raven)?

GG close.

That's largely due to this game's design.

Had these things really gone from Battletech's fluff and lore design (rather than taking classic tabletop, giving 3x or greater the firing rate, 2x the armor and saying "this is MWO"), front loaded damage and pinpoint issues wouldn't be issues at all.
Speed wouldn't be necessary. And that's a good thing, because most Battlemechs going 64.8, 86, and 97 kph, while something going in excess of 127 is exceptionally rare and made out of paper.

The only reason you're having this discussion at all is due to poor design choices on the developer's behalf.

That said, the Panther isn't meant to be a fast battlemech. Its native speed is 64.8 kph. Its combat purpose is essentially to be a 35 ton Vindicator at a much cheaper price (that is to say, a sharp shooter). The SRMs are not dumb fired [in BT]. The PPC in BT is one of the most front loaded weapons to exist (where an AC/10 would be anywhere from 6 to 50 projectiles to get 10 damage). It would be a formidable force with good range.

Here, we can only hope it has a decent hitbox as MWO's 127 kph is essentially BT's 86 kph. There's also the quirks, which will probably make this thing lob PPCs in much the same way Call of Duties are churned out every year or two.

Another thing to consider is that with so few hardpoints, even if you go for the heaviest weapons you can imagine... you can still pull off those speeds with a standard engine.
Meanwhile the Firestarter usually requires an XL engine to use all those hardpoints effectively.

This means when he loses a shoulder, he dies. When you lose a shoulder in the Panther, you'll laugh and say "Joke's on you, ******! I have a standard engine!" Well looky there... a zombie light.

Edited by Koniving, 28 November 2014 - 01:26 PM.

#43 Satan n stuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:25 PM

View PostAgent 0 Fortune, on 28 November 2014 - 12:10 PM, said:

To be fair they designed this mech when the metabators were also poptarts. It was built to order: an asymmetric, jumping, humanoid, dual ppc mech.

And now you want to put in your order for next season, ECM. Really? that ship has already sailed, are you sure you want to pin your hopes on it.

I'm pretty sure they designed the Panther back in the eighties. <_<

#44 Lucian Nostra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:38 PM

IS players spend months telling Clanners that the Kit Fox and Adder aren't scouts but support mechs and we need to learn how to play

Introduce the Panther and they throw a fit they have a sub 150kph light..

hmmmmmmm maybe take some of that advice that's been freely given out to us Clan players..

#45 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:43 PM

View PostLucian Nostra, on 28 November 2014 - 01:38 PM, said:

IS players spend months telling Clanners that the Kit Fox and Adder aren't scouts but support mechs and we need to learn how to play

Introduce the Panther and they throw a fit they have a sub 150kph light..

hmmmmmmm maybe take some of that advice that's been freely given out to us Clan players..

Yep you got a point there. Panther will likely do fine. Sure it probably won't be the best 35 tonner out there but it will still be fine if people adpat to the mech rather than trying to force it to play like a Firestarter or Jenner.

#46 Yumemi79

• PipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:56 PM

A 35 ton mech with max engine of 250?? Really? Other 35 tonners get 295 or 300 max and you gimp the panther with 250 max?

Oh, and it only has 2 hardpoints in the one arm (ignoring the CT missiles which are only good for 2xSSRM)

and no ECM
Pretend Panther 10-K

The 9R is marginally better with 4 energy hardpoints but why would you run a panther with 4 vs a Firestarter with 8??? How is Panther even close to being useful vs jenner, Firestarter (or ECM versions of spider and raven)?

GG close.

Jesus, dude. Stop whining before it´s release and get on Sarna to read about the Panthers role. Cicada and Vindicator are doing ok too with a tad over 100km/h.
I will probably like the Panther, as it probably has some differential hardpoint layout and decent quirks.

#47 Ursh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 28 November 2014 - 02:18 PM

View PostChemie, on 28 November 2014 - 09:40 AM, said:

this competitive hate is funny.

I think PGI did the queue wrong. Instead of pug/team they should do "people who want to run mechs that jump 80m high for LOL" and a second queue for "people who want to kill mechs and preferably win or at least have a close game"

I am not saying min/max but at least have mechs that are good. Not need to follow TT; just allow panther to have same engine as other 35 tonner and maybe a decent amount of hardpoints. Otherwise, it is just silly...not even "content"

So make it like the Jenner or Firestarter, buzzing around at 140kph+, letting off some laser alphas, and then running away. Why bother introducing any new IS lights at all?

#48 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 28 November 2014 - 02:25 PM

PGI has already demonstrated that they are prepared to quirk subpar mechs enough to be, if not always competitive, then at least fun and viable.

I'm not convinced that a quickly repositioning jumping tiny sniper with a supercharged ppc will be a laughing matter, not convinced at all.

#49 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 02:52 PM

View PostSjorpha, on 28 November 2014 - 02:25 PM, said:

PGI has already demonstrated that they are prepared to quirk subpar mechs enough to be, if not always competitive, then at least fun and viable.

I'm not convinced that a quickly repositioning jumping tiny sniper with a supercharged ppc will be a laughing matter, not convinced at all.

Well I am unequivocally carried a match in a Mist Lynx before so I can say without out doubt that with a good pilot who understands the mech, the Panther will likely manage it as well.

Note: I have at least a half dozen solo kills, most damage on Dire Wolves, frontally, with my Mist Lynx. Pop out, fire, move, re-position, come at it from a slight different angle, pop out, fire, re-position and repeat until it is dead.

Edited by Viktor Drake, 28 November 2014 - 02:54 PM.

#50 NovaFury

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 386 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 02:59 PM

and no ECM
Pretend Panther 10-K

GG close.

How about our lights with a max engine of 180xl?

#51 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 28 November 2014 - 03:33 PM

Gonna be another Adder.

"Yeah, but it's going to have extra firepower to make up for the lack of speed"

lolno

#52 Chemie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 28 November 2014 - 03:35 PM

View PostNovaFury, on 28 November 2014 - 02:59 PM, said:

How about our lights with a max engine of 180xl?

Which 35 ton mechs have that limitation?

View PostNicolai Kabrinsky, on 28 November 2014 - 03:33 PM, said:

Gonna be another Adder.

"Yeah, but it's going to have extra firepower to make up for the lack of speed"

lolno

My point exactly. All these folks who say "so what if it is slow, it will make up with..."...don't seem to realize it has 2 hardpoints (10L)

Edited by Chemie, 28 November 2014 - 03:36 PM.

#53 -Halcyon-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 03:41 PM

GG close.

Is this the new thing? Keep seeing this everywhere in multiple games.
I guess "fail" is getting old?

About the mech...there are plenty of underperforming mechs, like the commando or the quickdraw.
Don't like the panther? Easy, just don't buy it. Lots of other mechs to choose from.

#54 Foxwalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 962 posts
  • LocationLost on Thunder Rift

Posted 28 November 2014 - 03:46 PM

View PostViktor Drake, on 28 November 2014 - 01:15 PM, said:

Was just going to say this, at least to a degree. Speed comparison is dead on however your comparing a 35 ton, fully customizable mech to a 25 ton mech with most everything locked on its build.

Panther can go max engine and max armor with room for 13 tons of weapons and equipment vs 6.5 tons on the Mist Lynx. Also that max armor is 238 not the 178 of the Mist Lynx. Additionally it isn't going to be stuck with crazy poorly scaled weapons pods on its arms and actually has weapons in its torso so won't suffered being, pardon the pun, disarmed like the Mist Lynx will.

Plus finally, I don't really find the 124 kph the Mist Lynx is able to run as being all that slow.

I don't disagree with anything you said. That being said. It will have the same drawback of being a light class mech that is relatively slow, and no ECM. It will always be a seond line mech comparatively. Still, I always liked them in TT anyway.

We have been suprised by some mechs after they have come out. Maybe this one will suprise us too. But I will not be too shocked if we don't see them a lot after they get leveled.

#55 Chemie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 28 November 2014 - 03:57 PM

View PostHalcyon201, on 28 November 2014 - 03:41 PM, said:

Is this the new thing?

New since closed beta.

#56 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:07 PM

View PostHalcyon201, on 28 November 2014 - 03:41 PM, said:

Is this the new thing? Keep seeing this everywhere in multiple games.
I guess "fail" is getting old?

It's how the cool kids declare themselves to be a**holes these days.

#57 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:12 PM

50% projectile speed bonus on ppcs. Maneuverability bonus. You get a brutal little *******.

#58 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:30 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 28 November 2014 - 04:12 PM, said:

50% projectile speed bonus on ppcs. Maneuverability bonus. You get a brutal little *******.

It's gonna need some sort of PPC bonus for sure. It's not going to stand out otherwise.

#59 Fubl

• PipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 05:09 PM

The only thing i care for is if the Hero mech when it comes out if its Pink. Forget which merc unit leader had it but it was founded shortly after the clan invasion

#60 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 28 November 2014 - 05:49 PM

Lols...

Calling something DOA before people even get to customize it and see how its hitboxes are.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users