64 replies to this topic

#1 Chemie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 28 November 2014 - 08:07 AM

A 35 ton mech with max engine of 250?? Really? Other 35 tonners get 295 or 300 max and you gimp the panther with 250 max?

Oh, and it only has 2 hardpoints in the one arm (ignoring the CT missiles which are only good for 2xSSRM)

So a light that goes 115 OR 127 kph max.

and no ECM
Pretend Panther 10-K

The 9R is marginally better with 4 energy hardpoints but why would you run a panther with 4 vs a Firestarter with 8??? How is Panther even close to being useful vs jenner, Firestarter (or ECM versions of spider and raven)?

GG close.

Edited by Chemie, 28 November 2014 - 08:15 AM.

#2 SleepTrgt

• PipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 61 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 28 November 2014 - 08:34 AM

Quirks

#3 Foxwalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 962 posts
  • LocationLost on Thunder Rift

Posted 28 November 2014 - 08:35 AM

Welcome to the Mist Lynx of the Inner Sphere.

Edited by Foxwalker, 28 November 2014 - 08:35 AM.

#4 ThisMachineKillsFascists

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 08:35 AM

View PostSleepTrgt, on 28 November 2014 - 08:34 AM, said:

Quirks

Confirmed quirks from pgi source

#5 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 08:37 AM

weapons on one side gives it a shield. A lot of meta mechs tend to have one half builds so they can use half their mech as a shield against damage.

#6 SgtExo

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 77 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 08:39 AM

Panther in lore was never a top of the line mech, it was a cheap mass production support mech. Its a ppc on legs and jump jets. I will never be a scout.

I can maybe see it fill a role in CW if you are not good with fast lights but still want to use some tonnage on bigger mechs.

#7 Urdnot Mau

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 501 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 08:41 AM

dude... PGI doesn't make mechs so we can be competitive with them. They make mechs to be fun in the game. Anybody that bought the Mist Lynx and doesn't say that it was fun jumping 40 m behind cover just to surprise the enemy with a ERPPC to da face is not fun than they are the boring guys here, no PGI

#8 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 28 November 2014 - 08:43 AM

View PostSgtExo, on 28 November 2014 - 08:39 AM, said:

Panther in lore was never a top of the line mech, it was a cheap mass production support mech. Its a ppc on legs and jump jets. I will never be a scout.

I can maybe see it fill a role in CW if you are not good with fast lights but still want to use some tonnage on bigger mechs.

If you don't care about the lore, and only see this as a shooter with different graphics/mechanics, WTF do you care? If it sucks, don't buy it.

If you really have nothing else in your life to do but ***** about a mech you will never use, I suggest KhanAcademy.org

#9 InRev

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 28 November 2014 - 08:43 AM

View PostThisMachineKillsFascists, on 28 November 2014 - 08:35 AM, said:

Confirmed quirks from pgi source

I think it's just assumed that a mech that is so hamstrung on paper will be überquirked.

Hopefully they do something for it like what they did to the Huginn's SRM/4s and basically give it machine-gun PPC quirks. Even still, there won't be any tryhards using it ~competitively~ but I long ago ran out of f**cks for those people. As Jingles from World of Tanks would say: they're "fun vampires".

If it's weird and fun and works in pugs, then that's all that matters to me. I like rescuing mechs from the trash-heap. It's like charity work.

#10 ThisMachineKillsFascists

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 08:46 AM

View PostInRev, on 28 November 2014 - 08:43 AM, said:

I think it's just assumed that a mech that is so hamstrung on paper will be überquirked.

Hopefully they do something for it like what they did to the Huginn's SRM/4s and basically give it machine-gun PPC quirks. Even still, there won't be any tryhards using it ~competitively~ but I long ago ran out of f**cks for those people. As Jingles from World of Tanks would say: they're "fun vampires".

If it's weird and fun and works in pugs, then that's all that matters to me. I like rescuing mechs from the trash-heap. It's like charity work.

As i said pgi source. Cant tell you who said it and where. You ll see

#11 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 28 November 2014 - 08:48 AM

They panther based on actual stats would be able to equip a 160 at best.

So you could say it was already pretty gigantically buffed.

#12 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 28 November 2014 - 08:49 AM

Lets just ignore all TRO mechs and fabricate these perfect Franken'mechs that min/max perfectly... :rolleyes:

Some mechs "are what they are" and their viability will largely depend upon quirks and what a determined pilot will do to maximize their effectiveness.

Not every mech is the next Timberwolf... :rolleyes:

Edited by DaZur, 28 November 2014 - 08:50 AM.

#13 Chemie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 28 November 2014 - 09:23 AM

OK. So they will quirk the heck out of it...why not post what these are? They want you to buy $20 mech that onpaper is useless and does not even have a "fun factor" to offer and has nothing versus every other light. If you wanted to sell packs, can't you tell me why it is not DOA?

Edited by Chemie, 28 November 2014 - 09:27 AM.

#14 Ragnar Darkmane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 459 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 28 November 2014 - 09:29 AM

View PostChemie, on 28 November 2014 - 09:23 AM, said:

OK. So they will quirk the heck out of it...why not post what these are? They want you to buy $20 mech that onpaper is useless and does not even have a "fun factor" to offer and has nothing versus every other light. If you wanted to sell packs, can't you tell me why it is not DOA?

Because the premium time that comes with that $20 package is already worth more than the price? Even if it looks different: The Panther is basically just a free bonus to the premium time, the faction pack and the other bonuses. And hey, one of those mechs is a de facto hero mech as well, that's at least another 800-1200 MC.

Edited by Ragnar Darkmane, 28 November 2014 - 09:30 AM.

#15 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 09:29 AM

I thought 97kph was slow for a light, Panther stock speed is 64kph, quirks is one thing, but this mech is in need of an electronics package, NULL SIG, or ECM to account for its limited mobility.

#16 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 28 November 2014 - 09:34 AM

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand... another mech I want asap, just waiting always the same doa qq, and I'll post my screenshots saying "see? it's possible" :D

View PostChemie, on 28 November 2014 - 09:23 AM, said:

For the same reason why ice ferret/lynx/whatever mech is not doa, ever.

#17 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 28 November 2014 - 09:35 AM

lol I just don't get meta players they are just so..well.. you know what I mean...

Mechs stopped bringing anything new to the game ages ago, you buy them for the skin and memories and for the fun value

screw being competitive, that just sucks the enjoyment out of playing

#18 Kali Rinpoche

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCrossing, Draconis March

Posted 28 November 2014 - 09:39 AM

Hmm, it's a light that can mount 2 ERLL and has JJ's. Sounds like all things nominal. It can mount a bigger engine than the Vindicator and its profile doesn't have any Hunches or big torso sections. Panthers were never true scout mechs. They were played as fire support in TT. I for one am excited to see what it can do. I thought the Locust were horrible when I got the phoenix package, but love them now that I learned how to use them. Same goes for the Myst Lynx.

#19 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

View PostCathy, on 28 November 2014 - 09:35 AM, said:

lol I just don't get meta players they are just so..well.. you know what I mean...

Mechs stopped bringing anything new to the game ages ago, you buy them for the skin and memories and for the fun value

screw being competitive, that just sucks the enjoyment out of playing

I wonder how they could feel when they say "this mech is doa" and then great screenshots appears on the forum, made by really good players who don't care at all about meta.
But they would never change idea. And the reason is this: they like the easy way, no matter about the skills.

#20 GentlemanBryan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 210 posts
  • LocationMemphis, Tn

These mechs will be out of date when the next mech package(s) comes out sometime next year. Remember these mechs are low tech compared to the next wave of mechs coming.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users