The Real Reason, Why You're Losing 100500 Times In A Row

133 replies to this topic

#21 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:33 AM

View PostMrMadguy, on 28 November 2014 - 10:02 AM, said:

In all cases you know, that this player will most likely underperform. And, therefore, when you see, that the whole your team looks like this and when you're losing again, again and again due to this - then something is definitely wrong with MM.

Which is just a problem with elo giving us all an arbitrary number instead of an actual, based off our stats elo rating....

#22 Tatula

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 683 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:35 AM

Actually, I purposely painted my YLW with the default olive green color so people won't be so quick to take out my AC20 right arm.

#23 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:37 AM

Pretty sure that is just ELO at work.

I had been running a 58% overall win rate over 3000 matches and improving for month and months and months, then suddenly in the span of a few weeks all of a sudden I am only getting 1 win out of 5 on average which has caused my K/D to drop from 1.8 to 1.5 and my win rate is now about 53% and we are only taking over the course of 300 matches.

One thing I am noticing is I am the only one that seems to be doing anything. I have matches where I have literally did more damage than the 5 lowest scores on my team put together. I also notice my team aren't playing as a team. They can't aim, they can't pilot, they scatter everywhere, play chase the Jenner, basically everything you would see unskilled players do and I don't recognize anyone at all I am playing against when previously I would recognize 4-5 players names each and every match.

Pretty sure I have reached the Fabled ELO hell where I have improved too much, too fast and now the game has assigned me a high score which instead of matching me against players my own skill level, it is putting me on teams with very low ELO players expecting me to individually carry against full teams of average to above average players. This is kind of like putting Michael Jordan on a team comprised of 4 players from the nerds club who can't dribble, pass or shoot and then asking them to compete against a NCAA college basketball team. Sure Jordan will score a few points just through sheer skill but more often than not the failure of the 4 other members of his team is going to prevent even him carrying the his team to victory.

This is what it feels like anyway. 3 weeks going on 4 of this BS now and it literally has about got me ready to quit. The game is just not fun when your teams fall apart over and over and over. ELO can suck my big fat <insert>!!!

Edited by Viktor Drake, 28 November 2014 - 10:38 AM.

#24 Saobh

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 197 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:43 AM

er you can buy some (basic) colors with c-bills (1.250.000 last time i checked)

#25 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:45 AM

Would be cool if we could get a free Gunmetal color scheme for our c-bill bought 'mechs instead of the basic green.

#26 Furious Zen Master

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:46 AM

The only p2w color that you need to buy is red, since it makes all mechs go faster. The brighter it is the faster it goes, so you need to go for something premium like ox blood.

#27 Thanatos676

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 703 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:48 AM

View PostMajor Tryhard, on 28 November 2014 - 10:46 AM, said:

The only p2w color that you need to buy is red, since it makes all mechs go faster. The brighter it is the faster it goes, so you need to go for something premium like ox blood.

Red onez go fastah ya gits!

#28 MrMadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:52 AM

View PostSaobh, on 28 November 2014 - 10:43 AM, said:

er you can buy some (basic) colors with c-bills (1.250.000 last time i checked)

Yeah. Even if you don't want to spent some money, at least you have one free camo and 4 more free colors. It's so disgusting to hear your self-justifications.

#29 Viges

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:56 AM

P2W confirmed :lol:

#30 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:57 AM

This is like saying you can only be good at TF2 if you buy a hat. Paint does not make you good at game.

#31 Jeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 441 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:58 AM

I have a few green mechs... and I kill bright colored mechs in them all the time...

I tend to try to get some red if I can to go faster, and if you can get the flames camo, that is extra speed too... but finally always run with your knife out since that is the fastest...

Where does this myth of match maker having high level players carry lower level players come from???

I researched Elo and the match maker a lot, and nothing I ever found said that...

Before the last batch of match making changes and 3/3/3/3, teams were based on a range for the match...
If the match was set to an Elo rating of 1200, then it could pull players into that match from a range above and below 1200... randomly...
After the teams were created it calculates an average Elo for each team, estimates which team should win based on those averages, and then applies an Elo adjustment to the players based on if the expected team wins or not.

Now they are also taking account your mechs weight class and they have been tweaking things a bit, but no where did I ever see anything about using high level players to balance.
As the restrictions get relaxed if the match maker can't find players for the match, the range it can pull players from widens... so you may get a higher level Elo player in a lower Elo match, but it's not to carry, it's to lower the wait times in the queue.

Edited by Jeb, 28 November 2014 - 11:07 AM.

#32 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 11:02 AM

View PostMrMadguy, on 28 November 2014 - 09:38 AM, said:

"Green team": when you see this - you know, that you're screwed.
Posted Image

None of my 'Mechs are painted unless they came that way (Arrow, Ember, AH). Unless I'm in an Assault, I wouldn't discount me so soon just because I'm green...

#33 kesmai

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 28 November 2014 - 11:12 AM

Damn.
Don´t tell people that yellow color makes you run faster backwards. Sulphur works best.

#34 Viges

• Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 11:24 AM

View Postkesmai, on 28 November 2014 - 11:12 AM, said:

Damn.
Don´t tell people that yellow color makes you run faster backwards. Sulphur works best.

Dude stop giving away the secrets!
Spoiler

Edited by Viges, 28 November 2014 - 11:25 AM.

#35 Zolaz

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 28 November 2014 - 11:30 AM

There are some colors for c-bills. You can spend about $4.50 US Dollars to get a color. You could have bought any mech pack and got free colors. You could have used the free promotions to get free colors.

More often than not, bad pilots run green mechs. Well, new pilots run green mechs. New pilots become task saturated and you can watch it happen every game.

Sorry, if you are upset Greenie ... Carry Harder. That is what PGI tells me when I tell them I dont want you on my team.

Posted Image

#36 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 28 November 2014 - 11:44 AM

I changed my firebrand from red to green and my deaths went down like crazy. Any color but green makes you a target when standing next to green mechs.

#37 Abivard

• Shredder
  • 1,935 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic

Posted 28 November 2014 - 11:56 AM

View PostBrody319, on 28 November 2014 - 10:57 AM, said:

This is like saying you can only be good at TF2 if you buy a hat. Paint does not make you good at game.

Your so wrong, just ask any of the people with fancy paint schemes they will tell you the colors make the player.

#38 AlexEss

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 28 November 2014 - 11:59 AM

Funny, and here i thought it was because my skills are not up to par due to way to few hours in the cockpit these days... But blaming (C) mechs is a much better way i guess. That way i can deflect the loss from my fragile ego. =P

Now the real question is ofc... Why is your score low enough to place you with said green mechs...? =P

#39 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 12:01 PM

View PostAbivard, on 28 November 2014 - 11:56 AM, said:

Your so wrong, just ask any of the people with fancy paint schemes they will tell you the colors make the player.

make the player a target*

I covered this in an older topic on "target priority" The fancier and more colorful your mech is the more distinct and noticeable it is, and thus more likely to be fired upon. A stalker painted in flames with reds and blacks is going to get shot before the Stalker with the plain green skin, even if its a pilot of equal skill and the same loadout.

"hmm should i fire on the Invasion variant timberwolf or the Gold whale....I think I'll go with the green atlas instead"

#40 Abivard

• Shredder
  • 1,935 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic

Posted 28 November 2014 - 12:01 PM

View PostViges, on 28 November 2014 - 11:24 AM, said:

Dude stop giving away the secrets!
Spoiler

I thought airstrikes on yourself added to your armor and Arty restored Ammo to full? To bad it doesn't work in testing grounds and only in real drops. I wish testing grounds reflected the actual game and map conditions, nothing works right there!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users