Going To Buy A Bundle, Which One...convince Me.

35 replies to this topic

#1 KamikazeRat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 711 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 02:09 PM

So, im going to buy a mastery bundle, but im undecided on which one to roll with. i've narrowed it down (mostly to the chassis i don't have any of)

In current order of interest...
  • Victor
  • QuickDraw
  • Cataphract
  • Highlander
  • Cicada
  • Blackjack

ALL isn't a valid option....2 might be....im typically a medium/heavy jock,
  • Victor is basically a fat heavy....but with it negative quirks removed, it a very nimble, very dangerous brawler, which is why it made the top of my list.
  • QuickDraw, looks good on paper, fast heavy, i like my Dragons, so dragons +JJ *shrugs* why not?
  • Cataphract- because no matter what happens in the nerf/buff cycles, the Cataphracts are always melting faces, and thats something special
  • Highlander is a bit slow for my tastes, but the JJs (as ineffective as they are) counteracts that a bit, and i can always shoehorn a bigger engine
  • Cicada is more of a light but it has some punch so it interests me, so it made the list,
  • Blackjack, mini-jager with JJ...whats not to love

Discuss and Convince me.

Edited by KamikazeRat, 28 November 2014 - 02:25 PM.

#2 Nathan Foxbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 02:47 PM

If you are not into slow and plodding I would recommend against the Highlander.

I like my Cicadas. They are simply fast and unlike their lighter cousins, they take quite a beating if you keep them moving.
I liked the Cataphracts, but oddly enough, I just never could like the CFT-3D. It remains only 'Mech with jump jets I have ever used which I genuinely did not like.

I have no experience with the others from a pilot's perspective. One of these days I will take my Blackjack out for a spin.

#3 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 02:49 PM

I would say Cataphract. It is Probably the best all around IS mech out right now though Grasshopper might dethrone it.

#4 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 28 November 2014 - 02:55 PM

I'd go Blackjack or Victor.

The QKD comes with two bad mechs, so skip that one.

#5 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 02:57 PM

Cataphract, Blackjacks and Cicadas are good

#6 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 28 November 2014 - 03:03 PM

View PostViktor Drake, on 28 November 2014 - 02:49 PM, said:

I would say Cataphract. It is Probably the best all around IS mech out right now though Grasshopper might dethrone it.

The bundle is very badly priced due to the odd pricing structure of Champions (25% more than base variants), where the CTF-3D includes an XL280 and the CTF-3D(C) comes with a STD. Other than that, it's pretty much the perfect bundle. Of the rest of that group, the Victor is also quite a well composed bundle. The BJ bundle and CDA bundles are both wonky due to variant choices post-quirk. The HGN is not in a good place right now and the QKD is, well, a QKD and the bundle isn't great either (lousy hero).

#7 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 28 November 2014 - 03:03 PM

I don't like the options personally... the Highlander probably being the worst.

I'd hazard a guess and say Cicada.

I'm not sure what the "normal mech" is... if it is the 3M, then it's valuable because of ECM.

The Champion Cicada comes with a large XL engine (340), and can be sold.

The X5 comes with a large XL engine as well (330) but no AMS.

The Victor and Cataphract sounds good... until you realize that the Victor's regular variant is meh (9B or 9K, which is meh on both counts) and the Cataphract's regular variant is the 4X (full dakka, but really slow) and that the Cataphract-3D Champion is overpriced due to the base config using XL, and the Champion build does not (essentially, it's MC value is boosted for all the wrong reasons).

#8 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 28 November 2014 - 03:22 PM

CTF or Cicada. Because unlike most IS mechs, each CTF or Cicada (with the exception of CDA-2B) actually offers unique alternatives due to hardpoints. Here's what I do with mine:
  • CTF-1X. STD335 engine, fast brawler
  • CTF-2X. PPC, AC10, Medium lasers and SRMs. Frankenmech brawler.
  • CTF-3D. Dual gauss poptart.
  • CTF-4X. Quad AC5 boomblaster.
  • CTF-IM. Triple AC10 troll build.
  • CDA-2A. Rapid laser boat with XL340 engine.
  • CDA-2B. Rapid laser boat with STD280 engine
  • CDA-3C. PPC + AC5 sniper.
  • CDA-3M. Gauss + ECM sniper.

#9 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 03:22 PM

Cicada pack takes the least amount of C-bills to make them usable,the Champion build is excellent for example

#10 SilentWolff

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 2,174 posts
  • LocationNew Las Vegas

Posted 28 November 2014 - 03:27 PM

Al La Carte Timberwolf

#11 Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 684 posts
  • LocationCocoa Beach, FL

Posted 28 November 2014 - 03:28 PM

I got the 'Phract pack and ended up selling the 3D and 4X and just kept the Ilya. I just couldn't do anything with those 2 and would of rather have the mechbays. Of course, I did elite them first. The 4X can't hold much of an engine so it just feels so sluggish... but it can 4xAC5 well, plus those quirks that it had... but meh... I just didn't like either of those 2.

If I had to personally choose, it would be a Cicada! I haven't personally piloted one but they look fun, they seem to have decent sniping builds and can hold enough firepower to kinda mid-range if needed. Plus ECM (does the mastery pack include the 3M? can't remember).

Highlander was my first mech I got in MWO. While it did keep me involved in the game, it really made me hate it once I got an Atlas and every other mech (Besides the CTF-3D, yes it felt that bad to me) in my arsenal.

I dunno... maybe take out what trials you can and just see if they feel good.. then check out hardpoints and the capabilities of each of the variants included... and just kinda hope for the best?

#12 Shredhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,939 posts
  • LocationLeipzig, Germany

Posted 28 November 2014 - 03:36 PM

Take the BJ package, it's really good. If you've got enough mc left, take Cicadas second. Enjoy.

#13 KamikazeRat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 711 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 03:58 PM

View PostSilentWolff, on 28 November 2014 - 03:27 PM, said:

Al La Carte Timberwolf

If you can't follow simple directions, don't post.... Seriously, look next to my post, masakari package. Timberwolf; acquired, mastered, stabled and moved on.

I've been around a while, fought with and against all the mechs enough to get a fair assessment of their capabilities. I've used every trial mech as they become available. This was part of my selection/elimination process, as well as the mechs i like, but already own. But I am ultimately indecisive. Eventually over time I will end up with ALL of them. Just wanted opinions on which to get FIRST.

Seems the popular contenders are cataphract and cicada. Still sorta drooling on the victor though...the trial Vic has some punch, and can dance a bit

#14 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 03:58 PM

Get the BJ's....because after all, what is better then one BJ?

4 BJ's in a row ;) :P :lol:

#15 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:10 PM

Cataphract is probably the safest option.

I, however, am going to make a case for the Blackjack.

First, the Blackjacks are only somewhat decent before they've been mastered. After mastery, however, they really come into their own, and the advantages stack. I shall describe them:

First, speed tweak lets you run faster than most heavies, period, on small engines. Because speed tweak lets you run faster on a smaller engine, you can drop down to a 225 engine and still keep lockstep with TBRs, NVAs, and the myriad other 'Mechs that run at 89.1 kph. This is also fast enough to give a short chase on Lights and wound them.

Now, since dropping down to a 225 engine, you've freed up an additional 1 ton of equipment over that max engine size of 235. Big deal, you say. Well, it is a big deal. That one ton can be used to hold the one required external heatsink while the rest of the free weight can be crammed full of guns and ammo, and the number of effective combinations on the Blackjack are numerous. The mastery allows you to use those those double heating bonuses in conjunction with the previously described agility to keep the 'Mech cool. You'll get about 16 to 24 seconds of firing time with the typical load-out, and you only have to wait two or three seconds when near the heat cap to fire your full arsenal again, giving you tremendous staying power.

Going back to the loadouts, it's incredibly versatile. Looking at the most flexible variant, the BJ-1DC, and using the STD 225 with Endo and Ferro and 304 out of 306 points of armor, we have:

Brawler: 2x Medium Laser, 4x Small Laser, 1x LB-10X + 3T ammo

Fire Support: 1x ER Large Laser, 2x Medium Laser, 1x AC/5 + 3T ammo

Jack-of-all-Trades: 2x ER Large Laser, 4x Medium Laser, 2x Machine Gun + 1T ammo, 2x extra heatsinks

Striker: 6x Medium Pulse Laser, 2x MG + 2T ammo, 3x extra heatsinks

Sniper: 2x PPC, 4x Small Laser, 2x MG + 1T ammo

It excels in all of these roles. All of them. The most potent, I've found, is the Jack-of-all-Trades role. That one allows you to zap targets at any practical range with great damage potential, it allows you to defend yourself effectively up close, and it dishes a 38 point alpha it can use twice, with a short 3-second cool-down before a third shot.

Some of these builds can also be improved by changing the engine. Fire Support, for example, is even better if you drop to a STD 200, swap the AC/5 for an AC/2, and throw on a second ERLL. The amount of damage per second you can then deal at 743 meters is phenomenal with those ballistic rate of fire quirks and you still move at a respectable 79.2 kph. Striker is better if you trade a heatsink for the maximum STD 235 engine, to help offset the shorter range on the MPLs.

The other Blackjack variants are all specialized. The BJ-3 is specialized as a sniper, with PPC quirks and only six energy hardpoints. The BJ-A is specialized as a brawler, because those six MGs and three energy hardpoints run super cool while dealing more than 11 DPS.

The BJ-1, I am not a fan of. It's a less flexible version of the BJ-1DC; basically trade the four small lasers you see in the -1DC builds for two mediums and you're set. Or drop some lasers for the jump-jets. At any rate, there is nothing this variant can do that the others can't do better.

The BJ-1X is the weird one in the bunch. It runs at an astounding 110.8 kph on a STD 280 with six Medium Lasers, two Small lasers, and five extra heatsinks. And the best part? Those MLs have a duration almost as short as MPLs while having 324 meter reach after modules. This one build, when combined with the speed, durability of the chassis, can be used to do literally anything in the game short of sniping. Scouting, harassing, brawling, striking, fire support...it's amazing. Eat your heart out, Storm Turkies!

Finally, a word about Jump Jets on this chassis: they generally hurt the 'Mech. You either sacrifice firepower or the durability of a STD to fit them, and it's not worth it. The 'Mech can also climb most inclines that aren't sheer cliffs, so they also aren't really necessary.

#16 Thunder Lips Express

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 905 posts
  • LocationFrom parts unknown

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:11 PM

i also recommend the cataphract

#17 Budweiser Bubba

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:19 PM

I would say go for the Cicada. I have 3 Cicada's and they are a blast to play. Find yourself a heavy or assault mech and hang around to give fire support and have some fun. They are also great for quick shots. Peek around the corner, pew pew, back up before they can react. And the 3M comes with ECM so you become a bigger asset to your team as fire support.

The Cataphracts are great but the 4x in my opinion is horrible. Slow as heck with a max engine of 255 and all of the ballistics are in the low swung arms forcing you to be fully exposed to use them. The 3D is ok but you're not going to get very high with the jump jets on them.

I've also bought the Blackjacks and the Arrow is fun to play. Just use a kill steal build with 6 machine guns, 2 large lasers, and a medium laser. Hang around for fire support and then swoop in with your machine guns to blow up parts with no armor. The BJ-3 is ok for a laser boat but has serious problems with heat management. The BJ-1 C can be turned into a nice sniper but cant brawl very well.

#18 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:19 PM

I'd recommend the Victor, Cataphrat, or BJ

The Victor is still a very good mech, even quirkless, and it might even get some quirk love soon. Dragon Slayer is a solid hero mech.

Cataphrats are solid mechs, and the Ilya is a great hero mech, while the 3D is a good mech as well (and it's the champion)

BJs are ok, can be amusing, but the Arrow is awesome. Only complaints I have with BJs is the quirks for the 1 and the Arrow are screwed up. The 1 should have the Arrow's quirks, and the Arrow should have some MG or better energy quirks. The arrow is probably the only hero that's awesome to run stock.

#19 Fajther

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 451 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan, usa

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:35 PM

Hunchback package. Hunchbacks are good, but they had one big weakness. The hunch. Now the hunch has been fortifyed to be the strong point, and they were given weapons quirks. Hbk-4pc comes out of the gate as a good brawler, no need to spend any c-bills at all. Hbk-gi can carry any ballistic weapon you want to use. Hbk-sp is secerety op. Carry 2 of what ever missle system you want and fill with lasers. Cheap, effective. Hunchbacks can be built for any range you prefer to play, move at good speeds and have great torso movement and reticle speed. Best allarounders in the game. Really. Great buy.

Negative vote for cicada. Glass cannons. Are not good at their role. Very high skill floor, before you get any good results.

Edited by Fajther, 28 November 2014 - 04:37 PM.

#20 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:48 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 28 November 2014 - 03:22 PM, said:

CTF or Cicada. Because unlike most IS mechs, each CTF or Cicada (with the exception of CDA-2B) actually offers unique alternatives due to hardpoints.

Check your quirks, amigo. The 5MPL CDA-2B is probably the best CDA now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users