Posted Image

#282 Lordred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 10:26 PM

Doth my eyes deceive me?

Thou have achieved 12 addressed threads?

#283 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 09 March 2016 - 08:42 AM

Er: Yes? Posted Image

But I've often had loads something like this, and think all those <8% are just the "background count" of a well-developed OS install.

The spikes at the end, where I died, should be all the particles threads I'm setting
Spoiler

The real story here is "I've changed my mind as to what 22DEC2014 patch ment." This was the "AMD" patch I'd deemed to be the shuffling of CryTek default thread placement into a "PGI default," and the later "one setting performance increase" was "sys_spec_Physics" being turned down. I now think 22DEC2014 was some kind of reduction in math precision. AMD's current inability to run two floating-point threads on the same module would seem a great way not to run Cryengine; But if you can get the engine to only need the half-math-co instead of trying to get the engine to not trigger a civil war within the CPU, then you'd improve the AMD users happiness, right?

I do think sys_spec_Physics got turned down at some point, as we started hearing 'bout fratricide 'mongst missiles, which is what I saw when I try it myself, years ago.

Anyways: Where I had all the treads placed manually over the holidays, I'm now down to
;0 = main, task3
;1 = physics, task5
;2 = task4, streaming
;3 = ca1,  task0
;4 = task2, water
;5 = ca0, task1

sys_TaskThread3_CPU = 0
r_WaterUpdateThread = 4
sys_streaming_CPU = 2
and still testing.

Where before I was all 'bout getting "ca0" all alone on a core, I'm now gambling the "task system" is there to recover unused cycles, and unload wang'd threads. Ergo, you should have a task# on every core, even if you hope to never resort to the one sharing with ca0.

For reference
Spoiler

So as you can see, I think having water with ca0 is just bad, and I've made shore there's a task# with main. Oddly, this seems to have unloaded ca1 and task4.

Having more then one task# on a core mean what?

I don't have access to an Intel Quad just now, and I forget if it would be set up different from a FX-8xy0; I still have to make time for test on my Pentium G620.

There is a concept of "threads going out of sync" I really wish I could address; I keep thinking thread placement might change with CPU Hz, but I'm not so confident of my overclocking skills to be de-tuning systems willy-nilly for such test …

We've completely lost Smokiejedis' tests, haven't we? Posted Image

#284 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 06:50 PM

New River, 1000 Hours, as per SoP:

Posted Image

Posted Image

My "notes" show 3.5GB "commit VRAM," to go with a 4.9GB commit main as reported by Process Explorer, but I wasn't bright enough to screen-shot it; Gwad only know when I'll be on Forrest 1000 Hours, if only to prove it's not that hard to render …

I think I've hit on a tweak:
Spoiler

Edited by Goose, 16 March 2016 - 07:02 AM.

#285 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 05:46 AM

Haven't looked at the graphs yet, but just from experience do you think it feels and plays less stuttery? When you drag your lasers into the ground right in front of you do you still get a slideshow?

#286 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 07:06 AM

I think you are discribing the
r_radialBlur = 0
g_radialBlur = 0
e_ParticlesMotionBlur = 0
set there, xWiredx, but that sounds like a properly specific test.

I think jacking the two "p" statements would ease the load from all the crap in the air on New River.

#287 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 07:58 AM

View PostGoose, on 16 March 2016 - 07:06 AM, said:

I think you are discribing the
r_radialBlur = 0
g_radialBlur = 0
e_ParticlesMotionBlur = 0
set there, xWiredx, but that sounds like a properly specific test.

I think jacking the two "p" statements would ease the load from all the crap in the air on New River.

The sad part about that effect in the air is that in UE4 the performance cost isn't nearly as great for a better-looking effect because it's properly shuffled off to the GPU.

I do set particlesmotionblur to 0 already and dragging lasers into the hill right in front of me incurs one hell of a performance hit on my system. I'll have to try setting the radialblur settings as well, but I don't see a significant impact when taking a lot of fire right to the face like you mentioned. I think part of the problem is still that dragging the lasers spews tons of little dirt and fire particles. I'm hoping that spreading the particle load across threads might help a bit.

#288 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 04:00 PM

Annnd I rem'd out all six statements and found nothing. Posted Image

I will say `in cleaning out dead-wood from my user.cfg, I only really have "r_MotionBlurMaxViewDist = 4000" and "e_LodCompMaxSize = 9" diccing with my LoDs anymore.'

But I also have
r_UseGSParticles = 1
e_ParticlesPoolSize = 0
so maybe …

Edited by Goose, 17 March 2016 - 04:00 PM.

#289 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 09:25 AM

So, I still haven't triggered xWiredx's Particle Hell, even though I've seen it before; What I am doing is going into Onslaught/ Armageddon++ and just talking it.

If you're Lucky©, some SRM-bearing lights will show up ahead of the main body and spam you in the face, which shows GPU spikes. I have yet to effect this …

What is happening is with those eight linesф active, I don't have a framerate drop until there's a lot of fire happening; Without, I'm down ~20fps as the vanguard approaches …

Also: I'd said, somewhere, the two hardest views in the game where wandering around the Advanced Academy, looking at Teh Capt.; With almost all of my LoD statements gone, I don't have that issue anymore.

ф
Spoiler

Edited by Goose, 21 March 2016 - 03:56 PM.

#290 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 12:21 PM

So I got my New River game.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The hodo at the seven-minute mark is the blooming tunnel. Posted Image

It seems HWiNFOs "GPU Memory Allocated" is the same as Process Explorers' GPU commit; I didn't have PE open, so I don't know how much main was taken up by the game.

I am perplexed 'bout there only being one "secondary load" above 8% …

#291 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 03:52 PM

To field someone's question:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

ReShade won't grab the overlay(s) when you screen-grab, but you lose whatever it is you where asking ReShade for.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

… And MFAA in the "root" profile of the nVidia driver.

#292 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 03:40 PM

So how hard is New Forrest?

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think I got a face full of SRMs, there at the 7:10 mark …

But look at the cores: Nine out'a 12 show Real Loads.

#293 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:55 AM

Fielding quistions, just not in a timely manner.

How To ReShade:

Posted Image

(Not pictured is the part where you pick the DirectX version.)

Posted Image

"Highlighted" is the switch you need to change if you want the on/off switch to explain itself. I find it handy set to one …

Posted Image

The Gents whom wrote SMAA have this one note 'bout an extra setting for use with Temporal AA, so here's a profile for use with a game embracing it; Feel free to have more profiles.

Posted Image

Posted Image

And here we have the heart of the matter: The internal settings for SMAA, all of which can be deemed "SMAA 1x"

Spoiler
are the reivent notes from the SMAA devs; Additionally, Mr. CeeJay thinks a range of 0.08~0.12 is a useful norm. I've crept up to 0.15, myself …

Mr. CeeJay also likes SMAA_CORNER_ROUNDING to be zeroed out, so keep that in mind if you think the HUD is illegible.

It's worth pointing out the lack of access to a depth buffer here in MWO means SMAA_PREDICATION is useless to us, and a setting of 3 for SMAA_EDGE_DETECTION is patently unhelpful. In turn, you should also set RESHADE_DEPTH_LINEARIZATION up in Profile Settings to 0.

Note you can just alt-tab out'a the game, make an adjustment (pushing "save") then alt-tab back in and see the results right then'n there.

I've done about zero benching with any of the "settings" below "High:" I don't think a card big enough load MWO would ever see more then a 5% load change between on and off … Which I guess is maybe heavier then forcing Anisotropic filtering to 16x, but not by much.

On the assumption you would use ReShade with PostAA, what seems to amount to SMAA T2x, let me point out "It comes with FXAA by default." You can turn it down
Spoiler
or even substitute the internal SMAA
Spoiler
… but somehow ReShade looks better, even with/ dispite my Placebo Goggles. Posted Image Anyways: Set both to zero if you're gon'a run ReShade, or other inject-able AAs.

As an aside, I recommend adding "sys_flash_edgeaa = 0" to your user.cfg if you inject any non-hardware AA (FXAA from the nVida driver, or Morphological from Crimson,) as any such AA will grab the HUD weather you like it or not, so it seems best practice to do so.

Also: DSR, MFAA, and SGSSAA are hardware AAs …

#294 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 08:56 PM

View PostGoose, on 30 April 2016 - 10:55 AM, said:

… or even substitute the internal SMAA
Spoiler
… but somehow ReShade looks better, even with/ dispite my Placebo Goggles. Posted Image Anyways: Set both to zero if you're gon'a run ReShade, or other inject-able AAs.

"Placebo Goggles" is the phrase: With access to five systems at this point, I see jack-all for "internal SMAA." Posted Image

Dial in the FXAA to your liking, or else inject SMAA with ReShade/ SweetFX …

#295 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 05:52 PM

http://www.adriancou...graphics-study/

http://www.pcgamer.c...means-in-games/

#296 darqsyde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 348 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFar Beyond The Black Horizon

Posted 06 December 2016 - 02:06 PM

i7-4790k@4.4, 16gb 2400mhz RAM, Sabertooth z97 Mark2, Sapphire RX480 4Gb Nitro.

Mining Collective, Domination
1080p, Full Window, DX11, MB Low, Vsync Off, Damage Glow On, Very High (AA Off)

Posted Image

Edited by darqsyde, 06 December 2016 - 02:07 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users