At My Wits End With Low Framerate

20 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Ikea

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 04:33 AM

Before you ask "is it your PC?", no. It's definitely not.
I reinstalled Windows & MWO two days ago on an SSD.
The CPU is an FX-8150, the GPU is the MYST 7870 and this thing has 8Gb of RAM.

Regardless of settings I can't seem to crack a framerate of 20 most of the time.

Thinking of ditching MWO altogether if my playing experience is going to be this terrible.

#2 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 04:44 AM

The FX 8150 is probably among the worst cpu's for this game. That said 20 fps average is ridiculously low, it should be higher.

Not sure what you have tried already. Here's some suggestions.

windows power plan to "high performance"
temporarily disabling antivirus (if there is any)
running the mwo repairtool
there's a windows patch specifically for those early fx cpu's see if you can find it and see if it's installed already.
disabling all powersaving things in the bios.
overclocking the cpu (uncore and memory might help too)
test without teamspeak/mumble

#3 Mr Ikea

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 04:48 AM

View PostFlapdrol, on 02 December 2014 - 04:44 AM, said:

there's a windows patch specifically for those early fx cpu's see if you can find it and see if it's installed already.

i've just updated Flash, and I'm in the process of doing this.
Thanks so much for quick response

It worked. Whether it was the Flash update or the hotfix, the framerate is up around 45 :thumbsup:

Edited by Mr Ikea, 02 December 2014 - 05:27 AM.

#4 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:23 AM

Congrats for your success - thats the expected FPS.
For me the Winows patch did nothing for my FX8350 (and i later did a fresh Win7 without these CPU patches) so its probably Flash somehow.

Edited by Thorqemada, 12 December 2014 - 12:23 PM.

#5 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:41 AM

View PostThorqemada, on 02 December 2014 - 09:23 AM, said:

For me the Winows patch did nothing for my FX8350

The patch is to avoid a hardware bug in the early FX chips, it was fixed with the 300 series of FX chips.

#6 Roadbuster

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,437 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:45 AM

View PostThorqemada, on 02 December 2014 - 09:23 AM, said:

Congrats for your siuccess - thats the expected FPS.
For me the Winows patch did nothing for my FX8350 (and i later did a fresh Win7 without these CPU patches) so its probably Flash somehow.

You can try disabling hardware acceleration for Flash.
Just open any Flash video, right click, properties and uncheck hardware acceleration.
It's been said that Flash can cause problems, so, maybe it's worth a try.

#7 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 02 December 2014 - 10:09 AM

I wish I could get 20 frame rates period.

I play anywhere from 9 to 16 frames persecond depending on the map and if I get into a brawl. The nice thing is I learned how to play at 4 to 6 frames persecond and that is almost unplayable.

Due to the age of my laptop (5 years) I have been looking at newer models or even extending the use of this laptop and using a desktop for MWO. I am playing with an unsupported video card so I know where my problems are.

If you ask well how good am I, 6th in griffins for the chassis challenge back in October. Even at 9-16 fps.

#8 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:32 AM

View PostBarkem Squirrel, on 02 December 2014 - 10:09 AM, said:

Due to the age of my laptop (5 years) I have been looking at newer models or even extending the use of this laptop and using a desktop for MWO. I am playing with an unsupported video card so I know where my problems are.

I would suggest a desktop for MWO, although I did just buy a new laptop myself and one of my prerequisites is that it play MWO somewhat well (for a laptop). I ended up with a Newegg Black Friday sale Gigabyte laptop with an i7-4710m and Geforce GTX 870m (8GB RAM, 1TB 7200RPM HDD) for $999. Had I not seen the $100 off coupon code for this machine, I'd have gone with an ASUS ROG or Lenovo Y-series with an i7-4710m and GTX 860m. Both were around the same price (950-1000). If you want more horsepower for less money, the desktop is definitely the way to go, though.

#9 Summon3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 02 December 2014 - 12:02 PM

I play anywhere from 9 to 16 frames persecond depending on the map and if I get into a brawl. The nice thing is I learned how to play at 4 to 6 frames persecond and that is almost unplayable.

If you ask well how good am I, 6th in griffins for the chassis challenge back in October. Even at 9-16 fps.

most definitely suggest a desktop for MWO considering MWO is no ordinary game for some reason. make sure you get a very strong quad core cpu preferably an i5 if you do go down this road.

#10 Hamish McPiton

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 81 posts
  • LocationFishing out of my cockpit hatch.

Posted 02 December 2014 - 04:18 PM

Glad the OP has his problem fixed.

I saw that Barkem (I was 13th for like, 10 minutes - wound up not having much time to play that weekend) but didn't know you were on such a low spec system. So, wow man - you rock.
I started on an old desktop, but it was top of the line maybe 5-6 years ago, and would play on low settings about 30 fps most of the time, dipping to the high teens in serious brawls - but playable. About the time I got a few of my first mechbays filled with Jagers the hard drive blew, and I tried playing on my laptop for a while, but it was about at your fps - which I can't play at. I could do the Jager A missile boat maybe, but no serious hit and run play. I didn't have much of a budget but I did get a small-form factor desktop (free- hard drive crashed) and fixed it up with a new hard drive, more RAM, pretty cheap graphics card (r7 240) and can play now at 45 - 60 fps on medium settings, and with it on mostly low setting I get 60-70 fps or around 30 or so when I record the game play. (Which. Is. Awesome. Replaying your good moves, and stupid ones, you learn so much)
So you don't need a huge budget to get decent fps just have to do some shopping and do-it yourself.
Sorry - not to hijack but thought I'd share and didn't want to start another thread.

Edited by Hamish McPiton, 02 December 2014 - 04:19 PM.

#11 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:48 PM

View PostHamish McPiton, on 02 December 2014 - 04:18 PM, said:

I saw that Barkem (I was 13th for like, 10 minutes - wound up not having much time to play that weekend) but didn't know you were on such a low spec system. So, wow man - you rock.
I started on an old desktop, but it was top of the line maybe 5-6 years ago, and would play on low settings about 30 fps most of the time, dipping to the high teens in serious brawls - but playable. About the time I got a few of my first mechbays filled with Jagers the hard drive blew, and I tried playing on my laptop for a while, but it was about at your fps - which I can't play at. I could do the Jager A missile boat maybe, but no serious hit and run play. I didn't have much of a budget but I did get a small-form factor desktop (free- hard drive crashed) and fixed it up with a new hard drive, more RAM, pretty cheap graphics card (r7 240) and can play now at 45 - 60 fps on medium settings, and with it on mostly low setting I get 60-70 fps or around 30 or so when I record the game play. (Which. Is. Awesome. Replaying your good moves, and stupid ones, you learn so much)
So you don't need a huge budget to get decent fps just have to do some shopping and do-it yourself.
Sorry - not to hijack but thought I'd share and didn't want to start another thread.

Rock, well I think people were just running into my shots. Hard to determine that since I have to guess where they will be more than most players. I was having troubles getting good matches in with the battlemaster (99th) and was debating which mech to finish on Sunday with, the jagermech (30th) or the griffin (6th). I was on the leader board for both of them then.

As for building a computer, I might remember something from building my first computer in the 1980's with a black and white TV for the screen. I have an idea what I want, but for some reason I want to hold off until the spring due to a work load that I see coming. Then I just might have an easier time hitting people. Now that just might be a scary thought for some.

#12 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 04 December 2014 - 03:31 AM

Barkem Squirrel:

A word of advice.. avoid playing much longer with such low framerates.
I have done it in the past (for over a year) and after a while I started to get sick due to hours of play time concentrating on a screen with 6-12 FPS. I even had to stop playing MWO for a month.
Bought a new computer and got better right after.

It's just an advice from someone who has been where you are right now.

#13 Mr Ikea

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 03:43 AM

View PostHamish McPiton, on 02 December 2014 - 04:18 PM, said:

I loaded up the game today, and now my framerate is worse than before :wacko:
Barely getting 10 fps.
Very very frustrated that I can't even get an ordinary gaming experience on a 3 year old engine using a year old PC

#14 Mr Ikea

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 04:50 AM

I tried using Panda's old user.cfg edits.
I tried messing with me PC's power settings.
Nothing has worked and the only game affected is this one.

I am so frustrated that MWO can just go to hell.
I've spent the equivalent of a full-price game and I can't even get the thing to run.

#15 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 04 December 2014 - 05:58 AM

Control Panel, Power Options, Best Performance.
Catalyst Control Center, Gaming 3DApp settings, click on Default/save
Reboot computer

When was last time the heatsinks were cleared of dust build up?

Are you using any programs to monitor computer settings, both CPU and GPU, as well as fan control?

Also, you said you did a windows reinstall, and what OS? Had you completed all windows update prior to running the game? If not, double check settings as something may have been changed with any updates it may have performed over the last few days.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 04 December 2014 - 06:01 AM.

#16 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 06:16 AM

There is no mention here of having the latest drivers for the GPU, or having checked any driver-specific settings (as you can force many things that can affect performance within the catalyst control center), or what speed the CPU is at, or what software is being used to monitor anything, or really anything else we typically look for when trying to help.

I can tell you right now that you definitely won't be playing at 'very high' anything, and nothing more than postaa will be feasible as far as AA goes. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if some things had to be set to medium.

Please take a good chunk of time to read all of the other established performance-related threads before expecting top-notch performance, and start giving us real information if you want help.

#17 MechWarrior4172571

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 251 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 06:43 PM

View PostMr Ikea, on 02 December 2014 - 04:33 AM, said:

Before you ask "is it your PC?", no. It's definitely not.
I reinstalled Windows & MWO two days ago on an SSD.
The CPU is an FX-8150, the GPU is the MYST 7870 and this thing has 8Gb of RAM.

Regardless of settings I can't seem to crack a framerate of 20 most of the time.

Thinking of ditching MWO altogether if my playing experience is going to be this terrible.

Yeah, it's your PC and MWO bad optimization. Both.

One thing you can try to do is set every video setting to low and "off" and trying again--see if this helps with frame-rates, if it does, then it's your video card/mobo to blame, if it doesn't.. then it's your CPU/mobo to blame. Install every Windows update and get a download of free Driver Updater program called "Driver Booster" by iObit and run it and install every driver that is in need of updating on your system. See if that helps. Also try to clean cache of your MWO by clicking on "Repair" button (before you login into MWO)--it would initialize self-repair/cleaning of MWO software/buffer.

#18 Ridir Semii

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 499 posts
  • LocationPort Torture, Washington, USA

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:10 PM

View PostFlipOver, on 04 December 2014 - 03:31 AM, said:

Barkem Squirrel:

A word of advice.. avoid playing much longer with such low framerates.
I have done it in the past (for over a year) and after a while I started to get sick due to hours of play time concentrating on a screen with 6-12 FPS. I even had to stop playing MWO for a month.
Bought a new computer and got better right after.

It's just an advice from someone who has been where you are right now.

I play between 10 and 20, learned through open beta at 4-6fps and I NEVER have experienced any sickness... that would so suck, badly

#19 Luke Garrad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 139 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom - Devon

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:47 AM

I have the exact same problem. It's the AMD FX series CPUs not being optimised with the game. My rig can run most games at high but when it comes to Mechwarrior it can't even run it on low at 30fps. Blame the devs as this issue has been going on since beta and has not been fixed.

#20 Lou3b

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 03:08 AM

You guys have some serious balls playing at or below 20fps. its hurts my brain when my game dips below 40-50! never mind 6,10 or 20. must be like playing in slow motion for you chaps. I usually around 90-100+ on max everything for me :) but you guys earn some serious Brownie points right there for playing at such low fps.

but saying that FX CPU's are not the best - far from it. AMD just seem to but throwing in more cores hoping it will work. I'd always suggest going with Intel for games if you can afford it. Used to love AMD back in the day with Athlon X2 64 but they have just lost pace these days.

But the recent update with CW has broke my game I cant get above 2.5FPS most time, get the odd game where it is barely playable.

But there definatly are problems with the optimization for this game regarding AMD - they could do a lot better, fix all the little memory bugs ETC then i'm sure the zillion core FX processors will gain some ground.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users