50 replies to this topic

#1 mad kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:05 AM

Can we have a little bit of a shake up here regarding the FF issue. I've been making sure lately that if i accidentally shoot a friendly the first thing i do when i realise its gonna happen is throw my aim off as fast as possible then here's the apex.

I jump into team chat ASAP and safe and apologise to said mech directly. You then usually get a NP or TY or some other appreciation for it. Its not hard or difficult and doesnt make you look like a bad player but due to the nature of the game and the frequent clustering of teams it is inevitable even for some of the best players. I did it to a locust this morning and he thanked me straight back despite the fact i must of removed most of his arm and side torso armour as he dashed in front of my Awesome.

Can we please see some apologies in team chat for FF!

I'm looking at you Direfail pilots ;) :P (joke)

Edited by mad kat, 04 December 2014 - 07:08 AM.

#2 Decoy3

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 03:57 AM

I'm generally not going to apologize for hitting someone that walks in front of me during a firefight. I'll drag my lasers off target, hold my shot if I catch myself in time, and not respond to people that get belligerent about it.

But if we're 10 seconds into the match and you start coring out people's backs - you damn well better say you're sorry. Same goes if you TK someone, even if it's during a firefight.

People seem to spout "it's just a game" as justification and forget there are actual human beings sitting behind keyboards on the other end.

#3 Gauvan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 07:02 AM

I agree, and the flip side is to be gracious when someone apologizes. I really wish the game would tabulate this statistic and display it on the end of match screen to make it more visible.

The FF at the start of the match is a little different, in my opinion. People should simply not do it--it's irresponsible and dangerous to the team. Maybe I've had too much firearm safety drilled into my head but you don't point a weapon near a group of your buddies and then decide to check if the trigger still works.

If you need to check the heat profile of your build, go to the testing grounds. Or at least take the two seconds to point yourself away from the group.

#4 SaltBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts
  • LocationOmni-mech cockpit.

Posted 04 December 2014 - 09:58 AM

I had that happen yesterday. I was in my Timber as soon as the start up is done , it alpha,d on its own. May be a sticky mouse button , stuck keyboard. Sometime this happens not sure why but it is rare Even if I am not touching the mouse but adjusting weapon groups it will fire when i hit ctrl. Well for the 1st time ever it grazed a mechs arm in front of me and due to his startup position relative to mine. Thank god he was not spawned right in front it would have killed or blown off a torso. I immediately apologized and stuck key excuse. He said NP but it still sucked I was genuinly sorry. We won the match so all was good.

Edited by SaltBeef, 04 December 2014 - 10:00 AM.

#5 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 December 2014 - 10:38 AM

I've been noticing a lot of friendly fire lately - it's no coincidence you made this thread.

Just this morning in two different matches I was in my Cicada on River City. I have a pair of Large Pulses, so in a standoff I have a pretty predictable pattern of
*move out of cover*
*fire*
*move to cover until weapon is ready to fire again*
*repeat until an enemy eventually catches on*

I found a nice spot next to Citadel and was working my magic, and a DWF decides to come up behind me and start shooting me in the back every time I did the thing I'd been doing for the past 60 seconds.

Second match I was doing the same thing on the water side of Citadel - most of my team was on the water side assaulting the enemy base from range, and I'm doing the same thing. At one point I was sitting still firing at an enemy turret and some Clan Ultras opened up all three of my rear panels on two different occasions. When I did move, I kept it under 20kph... just creeping out of cover, firing, then zooming back to cover. Nope, still got shot in the back by friendlies the moment I creeped out at a snails pace. You didn't see me coming out?

Yes, I know I'm moving out INTO friendly firing lines to take my shots, but when I was the first one there, I'm on the very front line, and I'm repeating a very predictable pattern while initiating my movements very slowly and predictably, there's no excuse for you to be hitting me - I'm probably there because I feel like my position is important, or else I would have left it by now.

Just keep an eye out and watch that fire, us light pilots need every point of armour for when **** hits the fan.
(Cicada is a light, get over it. :P )

#6 Commodore Perspicuous

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 103 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 10:44 AM

View PostGauvan, on 04 December 2014 - 07:02 AM, said:

I agree, and the flip side is to be gracious when someone apologizes. I really wish the game would tabulate this statistic and display it on the end of match screen to make it more visible.

The FF at the start of the match is a little different, in my opinion. People should simply not do it--it's irresponsible and dangerous to the team. Maybe I've had too much firearm safety drilled into my head but you don't point a weapon near a group of your buddies and then decide to check if the trigger still works.

If you need to check the heat profile of your build, go to the testing grounds. Or at least take the two seconds to point yourself away from the group.

I agree that there needs to be consideration of the flip side. As a primarily light and medium pilot, my experience with FF is usually on the receiving end. In the past, it usually had more to do with my poor positioning or lack of attention to fire zones. In some cases, the firer should consider apologizing for FF, but other pilots (particularly lights like myself) need to learn to be aware of where the "Direfails" (as OP puts it) are positioned. After I started working on that, my overall positioning and game play improved. I also try to apologize when I end up crossing someone's fire zone, though it's usually not easy to type coherently at 142+ kph...

#7 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 04 December 2014 - 10:51 AM

I always try to apologize when I accidentally hit a friendly. It usually happens to me when a friend is perfectly silhouetted in the red target box of the enemy I have just targeted and I get off a shot before I see the blue dorito. And, I just got tk'ed for like the 2nd time ever yesterday. I was in a spider and getting fired upon by a swarm of enemies and barely got out of the way and behind cover and pow I am dead. I am not even sure what my teammate was shooting at because there was no LOS to any enemies and he just cored me through the back :/

#8 Ano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 637 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 04 December 2014 - 10:58 AM

It's the main reason I made this feature suggestion thread:
http://mwomercs.com/...summary-screen/

I still think that would be a big help -- I suspect there's a chunk of friendly fire which happens and the perpetrators don't even realise it.

Per the OP, apologising when you realise what you've done is both bog standard decent behaviour, and a HUGELY positive influence on other people. Sure, if you're engaged in a knife-distance brawl and a friendly runs right between you and your target, then it's probably not your fault if they get hit -- but if you keep on shooting cos 'they're in the wrong place, it's their fault' then I'm afraid it's on you again.

View Post3xnihilo, on 04 December 2014 - 10:51 AM, said:

It usually happens to me when a friend is perfectly silhouetted in the red target box of the enemy I have just targeted and I get off a shot before I see the blue dorito.

Urgh, yes. That's happened to me a couple of times too.

#9 Ryokens leap

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 04 December 2014 - 11:03 AM

In my experience most ff occurs when teammates don't use minimap and cross allied fire line. I don't feel any need to apologize to players that have little or no awareness.

#10 Mad Ox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 358 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 04 December 2014 - 11:13 AM

More times then not the friendly fire I see or accidentally are a part of can be directly attributed to;

Fools rushing ahead cutting off team mates and then walk into friendly fire so they can get their shot off ignoring the missiles lasers etc that they are walking into.

As for purpose team killing etc rarely do I see it and usually its 2+ hot heads who can't control themselves and just keep going to melt down.

Those cases I will do what I can to remove fire from them but I will not in anyway apologize for there idiocy. Especially if they then park in front of me firing away... seriously???

Same time ya sometimes clip people accidentally in game during major battle hot and heavy action it happens due to lag etc part of the game silly to stop everything and type out an Oops then and there.

But if i do accidentally out of combat fire and hit someone will apologize immediately. Usually start of battle clicked to another window to check on something and when click back game takes that as a fire command of some type and teamate happens to be crossing infront of me. My bad I apologize don't happen often usually remember to check my fire lanes before so wont happen but sometimes sneaks past.

This is a 2 way street you need to be careful and teammates need to be careful you can torso twist go to 3rd person view watch mini map all to help give you idea whats going on around you. Remember small mech sometimes big guys cannot see you at all when your in close so be ware of this.

One thing I would love to see in game is Cross Hairs warning when your over a freindly. Up close not a problem but with range friendlys running about near enemy hard to tell exactly where they are.

#11 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 December 2014 - 11:36 AM

View PostTarogato, on 04 December 2014 - 10:38 AM, said:

I've been noticing a lot of friendly fire lately - it's no coincidence you made this thread.

Just this morning in two different matches I was in my Cicada on River City. I have a pair of Large Pulses, so in a standoff I have a pretty predictable pattern of
*move out of cover*
*fire*
*move to cover until weapon is ready to fire again*
*repeat until an enemy eventually catches on*

I found a nice spot next to Citadel and was working my magic, and a DWF decides to come up behind me and start shooting me in the back every time I did the thing I'd been doing for the past 60 seconds.

Second match I was doing the same thing on the water side of Citadel - most of my team was on the water side assaulting the enemy base from range, and I'm doing the same thing. At one point I was sitting still firing at an enemy turret and some Clan Ultras opened up all three of my rear panels on two different occasions. When I did move, I kept it under 20kph... just creeping out of cover, firing, then zooming back to cover. Nope, still got shot in the back by friendlies the moment I creeped out at a snails pace. You didn't see me coming out?

Yes, I know I'm moving out INTO friendly firing lines to take my shots, but when I was the first one there, I'm on the very front line, and I'm repeating a very predictable pattern while initiating my movements very slowly and predictably, there's no excuse for you to be hitting me - I'm probably there because I feel like my position is important, or else I would have left it by now.

Just keep an eye out and watch that fire, us light pilots need every point of armour for when **** hits the fan.
(Cicada is a light, get over it. :P )
I know that feeling well in my Hunchback. I think it's because on Assaults, weapons are low mounted relative to their cockpit view. So the crosshair is on the target, but the gun is level with your rear torso.

The Dum-Dums see red hitmarkers and think their scoring hits on their target when instead their blasting the hell out of you. Big situational awareness fail.

Although there are the ones (Mostly Whale drivers) that will knowingly bore through you to get the kill, even if you've been in front of them for a while and are clearly visible.

#12 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 04 December 2014 - 11:45 AM

How about better than giving an apology, how about the idiot that crossed in front of our firing line give an apology for keeping us from getting damage on the enemy? How about people learn to cross behind one another, if they need to cross at all, while going after a target?

Also, if you're standing behind someone who was there before you came along, move your dumb ass from behind them before committing to fire, eh?

9 times out of 10 it is NOT the fault of the person firing on a target, but of the person crossing in front of their allied 'Mech that is firing. For the other 1 time out of 10 yes, I absolutely agree that an apology is in order.

#13 zudukai

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 11:54 AM

previous installations of mw, had a blue X over your crosshairs when you or they crossed your line of sight, i would like to have something similar in mwo.

#14 Ian G

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 90 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 05:45 AM

Sorry, but I will no more apologize for FF or even teamkills. Is was pugging yesterday, in my Hunch 4G. I get up close with the enemy and start pumping shells in them. My team hangs back a little. But a soon as my targets starts retreating some Timber or Stormcrow starts running in my field of fire and punch in for the kill.

So if you stand in front of me when i'm starting to dash it out i won't stop firiring my ac20. So be aware where you go or your CT will fall under ac20 and go BOOM!

#15 Remarius

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 820 posts
  • LocationBrighton, England

Posted 06 December 2014 - 06:54 AM

View PostIan G, on 06 December 2014 - 05:45 AM, said:

Sorry, but I will no more apologize for FF or even teamkills. Is was pugging yesterday, in my Hunch 4G. I get up close with the enemy and start pumping shells in them. My team hangs back a little. But a soon as my targets starts retreating some Timber or Stormcrow starts running in my field of fire and punch in for the kill.

So if you stand in front of me when i'm starting to dash it out i won't stop firiring my ac20. So be aware where you go or your CT will fall under ac20 and go BOOM!

Thanks for the warning... we'll be sure to take that into account when you have your back to us and have moved in to that target. Accidentally of course as you were blocking our firing line and we never saw you....

#16 Smotty

• PipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 99 posts
  • LocationWest Coast, best coast

Posted 06 December 2014 - 03:46 PM

The worst is when you are piloting a light and trying to protect your assault lance from other lights...

I had a match this morning where a spider ran behind our main line and my entire team turned to fire on him while I was chasing him away. Ended up with a cored rear ST and CT thanks to my teamates trying to shoot him. And of course while everyone is focusing on the spider the rest of the enemy team pushed and rolled us.

Nothing like the PUG life...

#17 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 06 December 2014 - 05:09 PM

View PostSmotty, on 06 December 2014 - 03:46 PM, said:

The worst is when you are piloting a light and trying to protect your assault lance from other lights...

I had a match this morning where a spider ran behind our main line and my entire team turned to fire on him while I was chasing him away. Ended up with a cored rear ST and CT thanks to my teamates trying to shoot him. And of course while everyone is focusing on the spider the rest of the enemy team pushed and rolled us.

Nothing like the PUG life...

This is the life of a light pilot :). Haha, but that really just means that spider did his job well!

#18 The Schwartz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 126 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:11 AM

Yeah, 90% of the time when I'm getting friendly fired It's because I moved to a position to support the team by removing rear armor chewers. Bunch of blue on the minimap and one red triangle. What does the team do? Ignore all the blue and aims at the red (I'm a medium and light pilot mainly) Then they'll get mad that you got in their firing line after they took 2 minutes to turn around while you've pretty much eliminated the threat. Direwhales seem to like to hide behind friendlies as well. Not like a support distance but, step on your feet close and shoot through you if they see anything. I've pretty much givin up using anything that has ECM on it because the friendly fire increases considerably with all those people both hiding behind you and clustering to use the ECM bubble. The one exception is the Atlas, where I'm more than happy to have people protect my rear armor.

#19 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 07 December 2014 - 12:19 PM

^^^ now that is certainly true. Ecm can be just as bad to your team as it is a benefit. Slightly different topic but when people cluster up its almost impossible to actually do anything methodical let alone getting organized fire down range.

Ive noticed when i'm running about in my spider 5d that sometimes the team tries desperately to keep up with me (esp if short on ecm mechs) for the ecm cover. The assualts then whinge because they got left behind and as soon as the enemy appear all hell breaks loose on our team as they fall over themselves to get the kill.

I got team killed the other night because some tool parked his jagermech right behind my badly damaged wolverine peering over a ledge. When he saw movement he gave it both barrels which meant i got shot from both in front and behind. Did i get a sorry nope, was not impressed.

Edited by mad kat, 07 December 2014 - 12:23 PM.

#20 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 December 2014 - 12:26 PM

Man I should never have posted on his thread. I jinxed myself. I just tk'd a guy in my locust when I popped around the corner and unloaded into the enemy I had targeted right in front of me. Unfortunately, it wasn't the enemy mech I was seeing but the friendly standing right in front of him. :( So so sorry.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users