Match Making Is Pathetic.

182 replies to this topic

#161 Fast Eddie

• PipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:32 AM

I've noticed since the last patch there seem to be a LOT more one sided matches. Has the matchmaker been borked again?

Edited by Fast Eddie, 22 December 2014 - 05:33 AM.

#162 Ursus_Spiritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • 292 posts
  • LocationDecrypting your Authentication codes.

Posted 22 December 2014 - 03:33 PM

I understand self-reflection (introspection/intuitiveness) more than I care to explain here.

I am quite well aware that I can and cannot affect an aspect of a match. Those that want to make assumptions of my character? So be it. I find humor in the comments.

My point, is that regardless of my actions, when a series of matches end with the same results? Patterns do exist. The randomness is not random. Getting the same map 5-10 times succession, random? No.

I also make no mention of being a great/poor pilot. I can hold my own though I cannot carry a team. Sync drops do happen, the match making is and can be skewed.

The evidence is there, for those that choose to see it.

#163 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:48 PM

View Post8100d 5p4tt3r, on 22 December 2014 - 03:33 PM, said:

Patterns do exist. The randomness is not random. Getting the same map 5-10 times succession, random? No.

Two things
and
RNG

RNG is by its very nature random. There's no pattern to map selection. It's all done randomly. If you think otherwise I challenge you to post your map stats.

#164 Sjorpha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,472 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:48 PM

My point, is that regardless of my actions, when a series of matches end with the same results? Patterns do exist. The randomness is not random. Getting the same map 5-10 times succession, random? No.

That is evidence of randomness. Only a non-random system could be programed to avoid it, while in a random system it is bound to happen. The same is true for other streaks of similar results. A system cannot be simultaneously random and prevent streaks of repetition, it is logically impossible.

Maybe a non-random system would actually be better for map selection.

#165 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 23 December 2014 - 04:37 AM

I understand self-reflection (introspection/intuitiveness) more than I care to explain here.

I am quite well aware that I can and cannot affect an aspect of a match. Those that want to make assumptions of my character? So be it. I find humor in the comments.

I also make no mention of being a great/poor pilot. I can hold my own though I cannot carry a team. Sync drops do happen, the match making is and can be skewed.

The evidence is there, for those that choose to see it.
Actually look at the bigger picture.

Forest Colony 30
Frozen City 26
Caustic Valley 51
River City 33
Forest Colony Snow 29
Frozen City Night 37
River City Night 30
Alpine Peaks 46
Tourmaline Desert 56
Canyon Network 56
Terra Therma 53
Crimson Strait 58
HPG Manifold 56
The Mining Collective 25

Average of 41 drops per planet +/- 16 So you could EASILY have a streak of 5-10 drops on the same planet and be statistically fine!

View PostSandpit, on 22 December 2014 - 10:48 PM, said:

RNG is by its very nature random. There's no pattern to map selection. It's all done randomly. If you think otherwise I challenge you to post your map stats.
I took your challenge. His numbers are perfectly within the realm of probability.

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 23 December 2014 - 04:39 AM.

#166 Ursus_Spiritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • 292 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 12:13 PM

Map Name..................Matches....W.....L......Ratio.....Time.......

Forest Colony..................32..............13.....19....0.68......02:36:16

Frozen City..................43..............27.....15....1.80......03:16:07

Caustic Valley..................75..............39.....30....1.30......06:20:44

River City..................38..............19.....16....1.19......03:25:02

Forest Colony Snow..................39..............16.....22....0.73......02:53:06

Frozen City Night..................48..............28.....17....1.65......03:44:56

River City Night..................29..............16.....12....1.33......02:35:33

Alpine Peaks..................50..............23.....25....0.92......05:35:24

Tourmaline Desert..................79..............31.....45....0.69......07:37:45

Canyon Network..................74..............44.....27....1.63......06:49:27

Terra Therma..................47..............22.....23....0.96......05:00:58

Crimson Strait..................72..............32.....36....0.89......06:36:27

HPG Manifold..................89..............41.....44....0.93......07:12:51

The Mining Collective..................85..............45.....36....1.25......06:49:55

Viridian Bog..................59..............30.....28....1.07......05:54:09

Edited by 8100d 5p4tt3r, 26 December 2014 - 12:30 PM.

#167 Ursus_Spiritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • 292 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 12:53 PM

Caustic Valley
Tourmaline Desert
Canyon Network
Crimson Strait
HPG Manifold
The Mining Collective

Seeing as I have such a high drop number on 6/15 maps? Seems a little weighted in just these maps alone...

Edited by 8100d 5p4tt3r, 26 December 2014 - 12:54 PM.

#168 Dracol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 26 December 2014 - 01:06 PM

View Post8100d 5p4tt3r, on 26 December 2014 - 12:53 PM, said:

Caustic Valley
Tourmaline Desert
Canyon Network
Crimson Strait
HPG Manifold
The Mining Collective

Seeing as I have such a high drop number on 6/15 maps? Seems a little weighted in just these maps alone...

Did you account for the paired maps?

Forest Colony / Forest Colony Snow
River City / River City Night
Frozen City / Frozen City Night

Each pair has the same weight balance as a single map like HPG. If you add each maps stats together with its pair, it should be close to the maps you listed.

Edited to add math:
Forest Colony pair - you have a total of 71
River City Pair - you have a total of 67
Frozen City pair - you have a total of 91

Edited by Dracol, 26 December 2014 - 01:09 PM.

#169 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 December 2014 - 01:56 PM

Pro-tip: Stomps / Rolls are a greater statistical norm than not... :ph34r:

Considering the capped ceiling of participants (24), combat-loss attrition compounds at a staggering roughly 3 to 1 rate. As such once a team drops over 1/4th of it's combat force it's almost insurmountable to counter that compounded force strength.

No one like getting rolled and few like rolling... Just do yourself a favor and stop clinging to boogeyman conspiracies...

Statistical patterns are repeatable because... well, they repeat. :P

#170 Gaius Cavadus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 404 posts
  • LocationNova Roma, Alphard

Posted 27 December 2014 - 07:42 AM

Yeah, I've definitely noticed that once team has a three mech defecit it's all over. I've never seen a solo PUG team come back from that.

The odd thing is that in World of Tanks and War Thunder one really skilled tanker can completely turn around the odds. I've done it myself where I've triumphed over 6:1 odds, sometimes in pretty crap tanks too. I once came back 9:1 in a Panther in WoT. Was absolutely ridiculous.

But that just doesn't happen here. I think it stems from those games' more realistic armor and penetration models where good angling and the right armor can bounce a lot of shells. BT/MW's ablative armor construct worked well in a simple board game but I think it, like many TT elements, fail miserably in a simulation environment.

One other thing to consider is that with the addition of CW it might be best to drop the group queue for public matches, institute a four-mech grouping limit, and just have everyone drop through a single public queue.

Keep private match grouping rules as they are.

Edited by Cavadus, 27 December 2014 - 07:43 AM.

#171 Charronn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 493 posts
  • LocationPictland

Posted 27 December 2014 - 08:12 AM

Played 4 matches last night,all losses.Highest scorer in 3 of them.The last game was terribad,we where 6-0 down after 2 mins,ameabas going in 1 by 1 getting ganked.Then these 2 pro (dead players) started piping up about noobs this etc then I looked at their scores, 19 and 23 damage.
Pathetic.I must admit I ranted a bit myself but ffs,seriously if your gonna open your mouth you at least should have skill to back it up.
Being constantly put in the team with braindeads and having to carry all the time just ends up with me not putting my money into this game and puts me off playing it.
Dunno what the answer is but the matchmaking is abysmal ,it really is.
It's sucking the fun out of this game for me.Loss after loss,**** that.

Edited by Charronn, 27 December 2014 - 08:13 AM.

#172 mineass

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 3 posts
  • LocationEkaterinburg, Russia

Posted 12 April 2015 - 03:17 PM

95% of matches end 12 : 0-3 and it doesnt matter win or lose
its boring **** anyway
is there anyone whos going to sponsor boring game?

Edited by mineass, 12 April 2015 - 03:24 PM.

#173 nitra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 05:23 PM

I dont know what can be done. (TTK has to be increased) last night played a game where it lasted less than 5 minutes and 30 seconds. and it only lasted 5 minutes because we had to hunt for the last player who some how managed to realize his team vaporized in a minute.

and this not exaggerating

I engaged a lance took out one, by the time i turned around to fight the others , the entire enemy team was gone ...

that just crazy 11 mechs gone in under 4 minutes.

Edited by nitra, 12 April 2015 - 05:24 PM.

#174 Romeo Deluxe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 449 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 12 April 2015 - 08:25 PM

This is a bunch of bullcrap. I'm not great but I have played enough over 3 years to have a fair idea of where everyone goes on the map. What happens time & time again? - Hey guys, no one is watching our left, they will probably hit us from grid D4 - Hey guys, here they come, left side, look out, grid D4. I see one maybe two other mechs turn, the rest of the team keeps looking the other way. I die, the one or two die and my team gets surrounded.

...or I'm on a team that does really well. Which is usually a team where several people are talking, not just me warning of the impending flank repeatedly.

Those wins & loses have nothing to do with the match maker.

#175 JaxRiot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 666 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 11:54 PM

I know this is a necro'd thread, but since its on the first page..

Ive noticed that the Match Maker seems very wonky. I can get 7 or 8 wins a row with stunning victories, then the next 10 will be soul crushing defeats with a few close matches thrown in every once in a while.

The math says Im pretty even in my win/loss ratio, but I always wonder why is it always so severely one sided? And why is it always in streaks? Personally I dont do much different and with the exception of the occasional Rambo player running off and getting pasted right away, the people on my teams seem to be doing what is to be expected.

Im not sure whats happening, but I have noticed that when Im on a winning streak my Hit Reg is great. Im hitting solid and doing great damage. But when Im on a losing streak Im taking damage like its my job and cant seem to do hardly any damage.

So I dont know.. maybe there is a built in Hit Reg handicap nobody knows about? Or maybe Im just up way past my bed time

Edited by JaxRiot, 12 April 2015 - 11:59 PM.

#176 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 05:07 AM

View Postnitra, on 12 April 2015 - 05:23 PM, said:

I dont know what can be done. (TTK has to be increased) last night played a game where it lasted less than 5 minutes and 30 seconds. and it only lasted 5 minutes because we had to hunt for the last player who some how managed to realize his team vaporized in a minute.

and this not exaggerating

I engaged a lance took out one, by the time i turned around to fight the others , the entire enemy team was gone ...

that just crazy 11 mechs gone in under 4 minutes.

If they played stupid... it is surprising it took that long.

#177 Romeo Deluxe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 449 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 13 April 2015 - 06:42 AM

I've seen 11 mechs vanish in what must have been 30 seconds. On Manifold I noticed the entire opposing side is on top. I throw up a UAV, clearly shows them all sitting up there. I proceed to maneuver to that side bridge in order to start taking some pot shots at what I think is going to be a barrel full of fish. Blink twice and my entire team is gone. They all rushed up the ramp after I launched the UAV and got slaughtered one after the other in seconds.

Put away the tinfoil hats, this has nothing to do with the match maker.

#178 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 06:46 AM

View Post8100d 5p4tt3r, on 06 December 2014 - 12:52 AM, said:

Dear PGI - Fix your matching system for we the players.
43% Win Loss average. Not quite .500 but good enough to get a a few extra million dollars a year and a endorsement deal in the Bigs.

#179 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 13 April 2015 - 06:55 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 13 April 2015 - 06:46 AM, said:

43% Win Loss average. Not quite .500 but good enough to get a a few extra million dollars a year and a endorsement deal in the Bigs.

Healthy 1.10% W/L here... :P

#180 0bsidion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:50 AM

First, holy necrothread, Batman! Second, sure, I've been on both sides of the ROFLstomp fence in the past, and yeah it sucks when it happens. But this weekend, I'd say most of my matches were pretty close. Several came down to the winning team only having 2 to 4 mechs left. Sometimes I was one of those 2 to 4 mechs, and in fact, I had the distinct honor of being 1 of 2 remaining and getting the last game winning kill in one game. My mech was pretty torn up too, at the end, a strong breeze would have killed me, so it was an incredibly marginal game. Based on those experiences I'd say the MM is working pretty well for me lately.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users