Any Reason To Run A Raven 2X Or 4X, Even Post Quirk?

33 replies to this topic

#1 BigFatGator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 265 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 01:52 PM

I really am struggling to see a reason to keep the 2X or 4X in my stable. The 3L has a place as ECM sniping or striking mech, but I don't see any good reason to run the 2X or 4X vs. a Firestarter A or Ember (or most Jenners) at the 35T slot.

Was hoping one or both would get insane quirks like the Dragon 1N AC5 to elevate the 2X or 4X from 'got it to level our the chassis for the 3L' to 'fun spam oddness build for kicks'. But the quirks seem underwhelming.

This is the best I can come up with, and it is underwhelming compared to pretty much most other lights.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...daab81b613d75cc

Anyone out there rocking the 2X or 4X and having fun with it?

#2 Clydewinder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 447 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 02:00 PM

4X I liked but the 2X was torture. Sold it as soon as it was elited.

Jump jets on the 4X made it fun. Kept that one.

#3 EyesBurn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 142 posts
  • LocationTamo daleko ...

Posted 06 December 2014 - 02:02 PM

I love all 3 of them but lets face it,3L is by far the best of because of ECM and on the other side all of the ravens would be bad if there wasnt ECM at all.As much as i hate to admit it but except for sentimental reasons like in my case,there is no real reason to drive those two except 3L.

#4 Smotty

• PipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 99 posts
  • LocationWest Coast, best coast

Posted 06 December 2014 - 02:06 PM

I sold both of mine off after eliting them and kept the 3L. Other lights just do it better.

The only way I would've kept the 2X and 4X is if they had ECM.

#5 EyesBurn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 142 posts
  • LocationTamo daleko ...

Posted 06 December 2014 - 02:10 PM

Try these two builds,they were fun and good for me http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3dec9e7a13d2e34
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fa7386f6a5512db

I know there is a 220 xl engine but i had that build before engine cap for 2X was really low,and i still do good with that build so i havent still changed it,and plus you can look it as a challenge,if you do good with this build you will get a lot of question marks over other people's heads while they are asking themselves how the hell did you do it in a such a bad mech like that ! :D

#6 DONTOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 08 December 2014 - 10:54 AM

Because AC20 Raven's are badass. You can do it on a huggin also but i like to have 1 setup for gauss and one for AC20.

#7 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 03:55 PM

Im still playing around with the 4X,, but it does seem better.. I am really enjoying the 2X, with 4ML's and a LRM15 rack.. really unique playing light.

and yea.. your build http://mwo.smurfy-ne...daab81b613d75cc
is what i have been using it is a different sort of mech, that you need to get used too. Takes a lot of practice to be good with that set up.. then again it is not to far off from my SL that is just 2 ML's + 2 SRM4's.. which i do wonderful in

Edited by JC Daxion, 10 December 2014 - 03:59 PM.

#8 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 04:10 PM

View PostBigFatGator, on 06 December 2014 - 01:52 PM, said:

I really am struggling to see a reason to keep the 2X or 4X in my stable. The 3L has a place as ECM sniping or striking mech, but I don't see any good reason to run the 2X or 4X vs. a Firestarter A or Ember (or most Jenners) at the 35T slot.

Was hoping one or both would get insane quirks like the Dragon 1N AC5 to elevate the 2X or 4X from 'got it to level our the chassis for the 3L' to 'fun spam oddness build for kicks'. But the quirks seem underwhelming.

This is the best I can come up with, and it is underwhelming compared to pretty much most other lights.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...daab81b613d75cc

Anyone out there rocking the 2X or 4X and having fun with it?

2X is the wubs. 4X is the ac20. Pick one and go. :)

Specific things with the Raven is that there is always one dependent arm and one shield arm. Always use that shield arm as a shield. Also, give any Raven at least 100+ kph, even with an AC20, which is exactly why people are scared of me in my AC20 Raven. :ph34r:

#9 Wraith 1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 04:17 PM

As much fun as I have with the 4X, I haven't played it much recently because of how disappointed I am with the quirks.

Even just trolling around, there's absolutely no reason I'd take a 4X over a Jenner if I wanted a laser centric build. I bought the thing because my Jenner can't handle ballistic weapons, but it didn't get a single ballistic quirk.

Even so, this thread makes me want to go kill things with a 140KPH flying autocannon again. BRB.

#10 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts
  • LocationSunshine state.

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:19 AM

I've piloted all three to mastery, and I must say that my love goes in degrees between the 3L, 4X and 2X.

I would have to say the best of the three is the 3L, with 4X right on its heels.

The 4X is more like a Skirmisher, with the ability to have crit-seeking machineguns loaded up to help against peeled armor. And to support a constant stream of minimal damage on armor when your other weapons are cooling off. Or you are near overheating. The jumpjets do wonders for Offensive strategies as well. Not as much Defensive, but still are useful.

The 3L with its ECM is magnificent in both roles on the battlefield. Including a long range support/spotter type unit. Small, rather odd shaped body allows it to stay rather unnoticed at times, and allows you to spot enemies from a distance. And the fact you can put some LL's on it, gives you some ability to burn some armor off.

Its a close tie to me with them. I absolutely love my 4X. A flying bird of doom. (Throwing AC's on it also is hilarious.)

#11 EvilCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:51 AM

The 2X is a terrifying mech in the right hands.

This one is particularly efficient, even more after adding the proper modules: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6e21b87b197c91b

#12 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:54 AM

i'm running through the 4x right now and it is my least favorite so far but I'm running it oddly with a 265xl and 2 LPL.

Nothing else I tried felt right on it.

Edited by Bigbacon, 17 December 2014 - 10:55 AM.

#13 McHoshi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:56 AM

Never underestimate a good raven pilot :)

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...af81048129c8189

#14 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:59 AM

View PostEvilCow, on 17 December 2014 - 10:51 AM, said:

The 2X is a terrifying mech in the right hands.

This one is particularly efficient, even more after adding the proper modules: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6e21b87b197c91b

May give this a try on my 2X in the coming future. Maybe zazz it up a little.

View PostMcHoshi, on 17 December 2014 - 10:56 AM, said:

Never underestimate a good raven pilot :)

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...af81048129c8189

Never ever underestimate a Pidgeon pilot.

#15 deadmedo

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 98 posts
  • LocationBosna i Hercegovina

Posted 20 December 2014 - 04:50 AM

I like the 4X. 2LL + 2MG + JJ.Fun. The 2x was awful (pre-quirk)....

#16 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 11:32 AM

right now, my new favorite light is the 2X with 265xl and 2 LPL. With quirks + LPL range 5 you get a NICE 511m out of that 22 point shot.

with LPL cooldown 5 you can get shots off a lot. I am really liking it.

#17 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 06:47 AM

View PostBigbacon, on 21 December 2014 - 11:32 AM, said:

right now, my new favorite light is the 2X with 265xl and 2 LPL. With quirks + LPL range 5 you get a NICE 511m out of that 22 point shot.

with LPL cooldown 5 you can get shots off a lot. I am really liking it.

Its the GUNBIRD! :P 2X is now not a drag to use. I have to say I love all my Ravens equally now. 4X, 2X, 3L and HUGGY.

#18 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:52 PM

View PostAaronWolf, on 23 December 2014 - 06:47 AM, said:

Its the GUNBIRD! :P 2X is now not a drag to use. I have to say I love all my Ravens equally now. 4X, 2X, 3L and HUGGY.

I've been having monster rounds with this. I actually thwarted a quasi bad base rush by myself with it...6 kills, 509 damage. Took that long for everyone else to get back and help. Never seen such panic among a team trying to cap.

Edited by Bigbacon, 23 December 2014 - 01:52 PM.

#19 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:56 PM

View PostBigbacon, on 23 December 2014 - 01:52 PM, said:

I've been having monster rounds with this. I actually thwarted a quasi bad base rush by myself with it...6 kills, 509 damage. Took that long for everyone else to get back and help. Never seen such panic among a team trying to cap.

No one expects the Raven to put out such pain and keep moving without overheating very fast. Unlike a lot of other lights, it can keep up a very heavy stream of damage-with little to no regard to heat at times. Or its own safety, since a lot of players panic when getting hit so hard and often from such a small target. Even other lights back off quick-except some Sparky Firestarters.

#20 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:34 PM

The 2X and 4X are more like Clan lights. Disregard speed, acquire big guns.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users