36 replies to this topic

#1 izoli

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 46 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:55 AM

So I went to Mektek and downloaded MW4 for free like I saw people say, and when I tried to play AVG came up saying that it detected a Virus-Trojan. Has anyone else had this, is it just a mistake AVG made? o.O

#2 Anton

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:03 PM

Yes, it's a known issue. There is no virus or trojan there.

Edited by Anton, 22 November 2011 - 12:04 PM.

#3 metro

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,491 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSians Celestial City- http://capellanconfederation.com/

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:05 PM

disable your antivir start the game...and fire up your antivir...or set MW as an exception.

#4 Rogal Dorn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationTennessee USA

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:05 PM

Yeah it's just AVG acting weird, program runs fine and haven't had any virus trouble.

#5 izoli

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 46 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:08 PM

Ah okay, ty

Edited by izoli, 22 November 2011 - 12:09 PM.

#6 eXecute

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationIn Space

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:11 PM

if ur running Windows Vista or 7 then uninstall AVG and get MSE (Its free and good to use - made by Microsoft - dont remember if it works for XP)

#7 KingCobra

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:15 PM

In truth it is a virus but a false positive wingen32 maybe it was left over from the hack program they used to decompile&compile the mw4.exe or one of the .dll files or props forgot lol Or maybe there just insecure and wanted to know who we all are?another funny. Anyways go to AVG's virus holder program(virus quarantine) and reintall the MW4mercs.exe back into its folder and out of the virus quarantine.Then go to exclusions and put the Mektek.net folder location & the file MW4mercs.exe in your exclusion list.Should work fine.Why when they did the Free release of MW4mercenaries they did not fix this is still a enigma then again i never thought they were that smart. ^_^

Edited by KingCobra, 22 November 2011 - 12:19 PM.

#8 Karn Evil

• PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:42 PM

Part of it depends on how smart your antivirus is. Avast is bright enough to figure out that it isn't a virus, but other, less clever antivirus programs will end up trying to kill the program.

Hopefully they fix the issue that's causing those programs to do that in the next update, just for the sake of convenience.

#9 juxstapo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:50 PM

Its kinda like that relationship you had with that girl that time.

Sure, you get a virus from it, but its sooo much fun, you do it again. ^_^

j/k, false positive. Like everyone said, put it in exclusions and keep on truckin'

#10 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationSmoke Jaguar OZ

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:52 PM

Aff it is a false positive.

#11 Alizabeth Aijou

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:53 PM

Anyone figured out yet how to add MW4Mercs.exe to the whitelist or some such for McAfee? ^_^
I hate having to extract the file from one of the patches everytime I want to play it.

#12 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 02:05 PM

McAfee, Norton & AVG are programs you should stay away from. Avast, ESET NOD32, BitDefender & Kaspersky are good ones. I do not use AVs anymore myself, I just use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware & Zone Alarm to protect my PC & keep it clean.

#13 Blacstonn

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 02:17 PM

hey I need you'll to help me with this I have a slow connect and it takes awhile and between the mtx and other version. I c

#14 Alizabeth Aijou

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 03:54 PM

Yeah, but my McAfee is free (and legal, mind you).
So I'm not really going to dump that for some random online anti-viri system.
I've had tons of fun with McAfee already (remember when it had svchost.exe as a false positive? I had that).

Just use the torrent version.
The .mtx patch files can be opened in WinRAR.

#15 Wil Scarlet

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 52 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:36 AM

Can't download it from Mektek their download page is disabled now.

#16 Xhaleon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 542 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:45 AM

Just a side question so I don't have to create a new topic:

Anyone got an idea how to edit//mod the mech files so that they appear in the campaign earlier as well as starting machines? I can always use Instant Action, but setting up all over again for every mission is a pain in the butt. So many new lights appear when they are no longer relevant. Are they hard coded, packed in encoded text files, or at least accessible in an editor?

#17 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:54 AM

View PostAlizabeth Aijou, on 22 November 2011 - 03:54 PM, said:

Yeah, but my McAfee is free (and legal, mind you).
So I'm not really going to dump that for some random online anti-viri system.
I've had tons of fun with McAfee already (remember when it had svchost.exe as a false positive? I had that).

Just use the torrent version.
The .mtx patch files can be opened in WinRAR.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Avast & BitDefender are free & legal.

#18 Jhereg KnT

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:12 AM

View PostWil_Scarlet, on 23 November 2011 - 10:36 AM, said:

Can't download it from Mektek their download page is disabled now.

here are directions:
http://www.pcworld.c...ndows_7_pc.html

#19 vam

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:51 AM

View PostKingCobra, on 22 November 2011 - 12:15 PM, said:

In truth it is a virus but a false positive wingen32 maybe it was left over from the hack program they used to decompile&compile the mw4.exe or one of the .dll files or props forgot lol Or maybe there just insecure and wanted to know who we all are?another funny. Anyways go to AVG's virus holder program(virus quarantine) and reintall the MW4mercs.exe back into its folder and out of the virus quarantine.Then go to exclusions and put the Mektek.net folder location & the file MW4mercs.exe in your exclusion list.Should work fine.Why when they did the Free release of MW4mercenaries they did not fix this is still a enigma then again i never thought they were that smart. <_<

Its a false positive and well documented one too. Your Google Foo must be low. Many games have false positive issues due to encryption algorithms used to prevent memory hacking. This code was compiled from genuine Microsoft source code and no "hacks/viruses/trojans" exist in this build of the game. This is a Microsoft protection schema! I figured its worth noting that the Crysis2 release (and the same engine MWO is based on) had the very same issues when it was released and still does with some AV vendors.

Get a real virus scanner like Microsoft Security Essentials which is by far more superior and directly integrated with your Operating System and can accurately detect encryption patterns properly.

If game developers did not encrypt their executables then memory hackers would totally destroy the PC gaming experience. Unfortunately, PC developers don't have the sanctuary that Console developers do in protecting their software through inaccessibility of their executables on un-modded consoles.

#20 Alizabeth Aijou

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:33 PM

View PostJaroth Winson, on 23 November 2011 - 10:54 AM, said:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Avast & BitDefender are free & legal.

Still ain't going to get either of them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users