Timberwolf - Over Rated?

29 replies to this topic

#1 BUDFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire, UK

Posted 08 December 2014 - 11:50 PM

I just wana put this out there, feel free to disagree, call me a noob etc.

So, the general consensus of this mech, seems to be that it is one of the better clan mechs, I would say perceived to be at least the best heavy mech, am I wrong? It is also the heavy end of the heavy mechs, at 75 tons is a big weight investment for your team.

Well, I personally don't agree with all the hype about this mech, and here is why.

1. Welcome to the world of "I am a Timberwolf, shoot me first" game play. Seems this perception is applied in most matches, expose even a little tiny half leg of you mech and wait for the barrage of incoming fire from every direction.

2. Shape. This mech for a heavy heavy (if that makes sense) just cannot take any form of punishment, the dome shaped CT make it an attractive target, and the somewhat enlarged side torso are also easy to hit.

3. Lack of agility. Yes I know its a heavy mech, but combined with the above, makes it harder to twist away incoming fire, again making survivability hard.

4. Low slung arms. Terrible mech if you are focusing your main firepower from your arms. They are really low slung, also in combination with the above, also have a quite poor arm pitch/yaw.

5. Fitting. OK, you cannot really complain about the lack of versatility, however, I can never do quite what I need it to do, focus on missiles/AC's and you have an acute lack of tonnage for arm weapons, focus on arm weapons and you have issues with your arms being low slung.

I just want to clarify here, I do not thing the Timberwolf is a bad mech, not at all. I am just saying, I think its "average".

#2 Kodyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 09 December 2014 - 12:21 AM

Have you piloted one for any amount of time?

Let me give you some reference...on the smallish chance that you aren't actually trying to keep the TBR from getting nerfed by pretending you think it's "average"..

I'm an IS pilot, mainly mechs like CTF-3D, BNC, TDR. I picked up a TBR Prime as research. I basic'd it. I spent a week in it. I sold it. Wanna know why? I wasn't using my other mechs. There was no reason to. Anything I could do in them, i could do in the TBR, and usually better.

Even just basic, it has amazing hitboxes, great agility, great speed, great hardpoint selections, great available tonnage. Basic-only, it was still Easy Mode, compared to some of the best IS chassis in the game.

So either you just really aren't good at using TBRs, or you're intentionally trying to get flamed, or think by starting a thread like this, you can somehow keep it from getting nerfed. Not sure which, and I'm not here to flame, but all your points are pretty off, for a legit thread.

The TBR is, and as per Russ's own admission, always will be, the best all-around mech in the game. I don't know what else to tell you.

#3 Keira RAVEN McKenna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 878 posts
  • LocationAuckland ...but summer has gone and the tears now flow

Posted 09 December 2014 - 12:42 AM

Its brilliant however.... the new kid on the block has been causing me to park mine lately and shift my focus over to that one... the Laser/MG vomit Hellbringer

#4 Kodyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 09 December 2014 - 12:47 AM

Yeah, those 'bringers look to be beasts, looking forward to testing one someday when they're CBills.

#5 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 09 December 2014 - 12:49 AM

My first ever game in a Timber Wolf I put a joke build on the C (LB5, ERLL, 4 ERML 2 SRM6) and got 839 damage and 3 kills, this was a Mech which had none of the basic skills completed and I, who had been playing for almost 2 years, got my persional best match in it.

In my Prime (with 2 LRM15, 4 MPL, 3 MG) frequntly break 800, and rairly fail to hit 400 I have never got past 700 in any other chassis, and would usualy concider 400 damage to be a good game.

Sorry but in my opinion the Timber Wolf is the best chassis in the game, the only others which come close are the Stormcrow and the Mad Dog

#6 Bows3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • 229 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • Location3 time World Champion

Posted 09 December 2014 - 01:41 AM

The arms are not low slung enough to render them ineffective, and the Timber Wolf is at its most powerful when focusing its builds.

Examples of this are: A-LRM 40 4-5 ML, U/AC-20 5-6 ML, Gauss Rifle 5-6 ML, 4 A-SRM6 4-5 ML 0-2 MG, 2 U/AC-5 4-5 ML,
2 LPL 4-5 ML, and most of these builds are capable of carrying at least 2 Jump Jets.

Now THAT is serious firepower, give me an IS 'mech that can match that, at the speed and armor levels the Timber Wolf has, or even come close.

#7 Kiblams

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 02:33 AM

In terms of arm heights, it is comparible to some heavy mechs as you can see here:

http://ecogamer.co.u...-%20Hellbringer

There only seem to be 2 heavies with higher arms:

http://ecogamer.co.u...20-%20Jagermech

That aside, from my own very limited experience; the Timber wolf chassis does seem to be very resilient and versatile.

Edited by Kiblams, 09 December 2014 - 02:34 AM.

#8 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 09 December 2014 - 11:44 AM

It is definitely overrated because if you read much in general there are numerous claims that it is OP and it isn't.

#9 Keira RAVEN McKenna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 878 posts
  • LocationAuckland ...but summer has gone and the tears now flow

Posted 09 December 2014 - 11:54 AM

Downsides... Large profile, high shoulders but low cockpit so you need to pop up a bit, gets stuck alot on tight terrain due to its wide stance.

#10 NUJRSYDEVIL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 331 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 03:24 PM

It's the easiest mech in the game to get scores of 500+ even if you have a poor game.

The recent patches have hurt it, it went from the indisputable best to one of the best, so I would still grab one.

#11 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 12 December 2014 - 06:21 AM

View PostKodyn, on 09 December 2014 - 12:21 AM, said:

Have you piloted one for any amount of time?

Let me give you some reference...on the smallish chance that you aren't actually trying to keep the TBR from getting nerfed by pretending you think it's "average"..

I'm an IS pilot, mainly mechs like CTF-3D, BNC, TDR. I picked up a TBR Prime as research. I basic'd it. I spent a week in it. I sold it. Wanna know why? I wasn't using my other mechs. There was no reason to. Anything I could do in them, i could do in the TBR, and usually better.

Even just basic, it has amazing hitboxes, great agility, great speed, great hardpoint selections, great available tonnage. Basic-only, it was still Easy Mode, compared to some of the best IS chassis in the game.

So either you just really aren't good at using TBRs, or you're intentionally trying to get flamed, or think by starting a thread like this, you can somehow keep it from getting nerfed. Not sure which, and I'm not here to flame, but all your points are pretty off, for a legit thread.

The TBR is, and as per Russ's own admission, always will be, the best all-around mech in the game. I don't know what else to tell you.

This, timberwolf makes you wanna use more timberwolf, and obsoletes so many other chassis that you feel this mehcs is a core issue of many problems. A few pilots however who's skill relies on the TBR's better performance don't want to see it nerfed. Bu the mech is an issue, it generates a blakc hole of pointlesness soackign up a few other mechs.

#12 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 12 December 2014 - 10:59 AM

I would call it an apex mech, that is for sure, and as it should be. In TT it was the best heavy mech for a long, long time, and even now, it can hold it's own against newer stuff, but that is TT, not MWO.

In MWO, it sits on the sweet spot on the triangle of, armour-fire power-mobility, that is due to the fact that it is 75 tons, if an Orion could have a 375, and ran an XL, it would be in a similar position, still not as good, due to the differances of an IS XL, FF and Endo all take more slots, as well as the weight differeance in the equipment, but it would be the sweet spot for IS mechs.

All that being said, yes the Timber Wolf is good, but I would hardly call it "Timber God" as some people do, yes it has good hit boxes, yes it make those buggy due to JJ feathering, and that is a coding thing, not a mech thing, but they still die, my War Hawk still does bad, bad things to a Timber Wolf that doesn't have a good pilot. And that brings us to the next big point, a Timber Wolf piloted by a bad pilot is bad, one piloted by a decent pilot will be good, and one piloted by a good pilot will be really good. So to some degree it is the mech, but also the pilot has a lot to do with it. I went to piloting a Timber Wolf from a Dragon, when I was first starting, and I started doing better, but the Timber Wolf is by far the more forgiving to a new pilot than a Dragon, but the Dragon made me a better pilot, the Timber Wolf, let me work on my gunnery skills.

And now I sit in a balance between both, the Hellbringer is my ride of choice.

#13 Dauphni

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 473 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 13 December 2014 - 11:58 AM

I'll have to agree with the last post. As an IS pilot who hasn't played any clan mechs outside of the PTS, all of my experiences with the Timberwolf have been in fighting against them. But I'd still say that it's not OP. Yes, it's probably the most well-balanced mech in the game (I mean in terms of design tradeoffs, not compared to other chassis), and it will kick the crap out of you if you let it, but the term ‘overpowered’ gets thrown around way too easily. While it is stronger than other mechs, the margin by which it is is not THAT big. It's nowhere near unkillable if you know what you're doing, the same way any other mech is.

#14 M0rpHeu5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 956 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 13 December 2014 - 12:34 PM

Just compair these 2 mechs

TBR: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0c0043f5cbe5bb6

ON1-K: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...da7d81a3caacff1

Same tonnage, weapons and armor but the TBR is a lot faster

Edited by M0rpHeu5, 13 December 2014 - 12:35 PM.

#15 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,659 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 13 December 2014 - 12:51 PM

It is one of the most well balanced mech on the field. And for its weight class and setup, it is in the sweet spot. Now with that said there are several reasons which can be applied to most clan mechs.

1. Symmetry - Generally weapon load out same for left/right side of clan mech.
2. Speed - Speed is life and the ability to move in and out of battle is key.
3. Tied to speed, Clan XL engine - though fixed most equip engine that provide them with speed as well as the ability to put more weapons (lighter weight/size) and components (heatsinks 2 slots instead of 3 slots) on their platform.
4. Tied to the previous, lost of side torso + symmetry does not kill a clan mech, allows them to continue moving with speed and generally still have a half of a payload and generally it is not just one weapon.

What would be scary would be if clan mechs could change out their engines, be it in up or down in size. Imagine faster assaults, or a timberwolf moving on a tad slower but even more weapons/components. In the end though, it comes down to the ability to survive while moving quickly, dishing out damage while losing significant parts of the mech.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 13 December 2014 - 12:57 PM.

#16 Chocowolf Sradac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 306 posts
  • LocationStar Colonel, Clan Wolf, 4th Wolf guard, Alpha Galaxy

Posted 13 December 2014 - 12:54 PM

It's really not overrated they are quite easy to kill if you know where to shoot mainly the fragile side torsos

and Most good Timberwolf builds are hot when it comes to heat management so unless your good with managing it they will overheat quite afew times in battle

#17 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 13 December 2014 - 09:05 PM

View PostM0rpHeu5, on 13 December 2014 - 12:34 PM, said:

Same tonnage, weapons and armor but the TBR is a lot faster

Welll DUH.

Any time you compare a mech using the same weapons/armor
1 with an XL
1 with a STD

The one with the XL is going to be faster.

Of course now - in this circumstance the TBR is going to be faster anyways - but that is because his engine is bigger than the Orion's will ever be - and his weapons are lighter meaning he has more tonnage for his engine.

#18 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 09:11 PM

Perfectly put, Shar Wolf, thank you .

TBR is a beast, aye, but whenever it is carrying any decent amount of firepower it will be hot .
Really hot .

Just wait until it overheats and shuts down or tries to pull back to cool off, then press your advantage .

#19 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 13 December 2014 - 09:16 PM

I know that - depending on it's loadout (and mine) it is either a mech I run from - or hunt down gleefully.

Which is which?

I fear their LRM more in my Assaults - as they can pop a UAV near me - then retreat where I cannot maneuver well enough to shoot down the UAV (or chase them) then they can bombard me.

SRM more in my Medium and Heavy mechs.

Laser Vomit in my lights.

On the other hand - my Lights eat their LRM builds - and my Assaults their Laser Vomits. :P

#20 VegetaFH1

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 17 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 13 December 2014 - 09:20 PM

There are lots of reasons why the TBR is considered one of... if not THE best mech
Now.. personaly, i cant use one for ****, i choose my DWF and will wreck any TBR close quarters, though long range.... umm differant story
But thats just it right there, long and medium range fights, TBR's can top the boards constantly, givin a good pilot and some personal touch the TBR can dish it out in spades

There is also the lore aspect for TBR's, If anybody recalls the TBR... MadCat is used mostly by the Wolves, now most of the lore surrounds the Wolves and their interactions with the other clans and so on BUT, if we go back in time for a second, Mechwarrior 3050, the original, well.. what were you in that game?
Yep, a TimberWolf
How about Mechwarrior 2, ok granted you could select alot of mechs in MW2 but it mostly focused on two clans, the Jades and the Wolves and the most used mechs by the wolves is....
Yep, The TimberWolf

There are MANY instances where a TBR is picked over another mech, and alot of that has to do with what everybody is saying up above, More bang per ton, Less tonnage used on strip and just a great selection of HardPoints
Admittedly the original design in Mechwarrior had the TBR carring a Frickin ECM jammer and several other OP functions, but MWO seems to have stripped those out, which is probably for the best

Edited by VegetaFH1, 13 December 2014 - 09:24 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users