18 replies to this topic

#1 Pet Dude

• PipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 90 posts
  • LocationUS West

Posted 09 December 2014 - 12:46 AM

AMD just released their new drivers codenamed Catalyst Omega (v14.12). If you have AMD hardware you definitely want to download and install it. Performance increase of at least 20%. Smoother out my game play. Still have the black screen when minimizing alt-tab issue but the FPS is much better. Texture intensive minimal FPS used to go below 30 now stays above 45. 80% of the time I'm at 70 FPS. R9 290 Tri-X OC with a FX-9370 and Kingston HyperX Beast RAM at 2133.

#2 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 02:41 AM

Get it here:
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

PS: Dont Forget your Mainboard Drivers if you have an AMD Chipset (Win7/8.1 32+64 Bit):
http://support.amd.c...indows+8.1+-+32

PPS: Did only 1 match so far but it seems the minFPS got a nice boost by 20% to 30% in many cases on my FX8350 + R9 280X Win7 x64 8GB Ram Machine.
Very High Dx11 1920 x 1200 (Cockpit Glass, Fimlgrain, DoF disabled in the user.cfg).

Edited by Thorqemada, 09 December 2014 - 02:59 AM.

#3 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 03:22 AM

Supposedly this driver has some improvements on the cpu side, good to see, as they were lagging behind nvidia in this area.

#4 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 09 December 2014 - 05:41 AM

I will welcome any boost in MWO, but I'm already at least acceptable there. It's Star Citizen where I'm hoping to see the improvement.

#5 Alexander Garden

Producer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 04:40 PM

I'd love to see the kinds of changes you all are seeing with these.

#6 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 09 December 2014 - 04:58 PM

Is anyone else having trouble installing this? I ran the installer, it did nothing, declared success, and I'm still stuck with 14.9. This is on Windows TP

Edited by Catamount, 09 December 2014 - 05:20 PM.

#7 Odins Fist

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 09 December 2014 - 07:30 PM

Only did the Chipset Drivers.. Noticed nothing, didn't expect to though.

#8 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 12:45 AM

Have deinstalled my old Driver first - chipset Drivers do not enhance FPS - Omega Driver does it depending on Mechs and Maps and Settings and Hardware when you have these cases were the changes/optimizations may boost your FPS.
I have had a good boost on Mining Collective and a sligt boost on HPG Manifold but god you face so many Assaults atm (after the new Patch) and i dont know how much FPS they eat - speciic Mechs can be real FPS killers.

The Microsoft Patchday may interfere with the Installation - i have often that installations crash when the Windows Updater is running parallel its updatings.

PS: I feel the very low FPS cases have improved - not so much the high FPS - the only map so far where i was below 30 FPS was this Assault Mech Match at HPG Manifold were i was as very low as 27 FPS - the other games i had very lows around 40 to 50 instead of 30 to 40 and the gamplay felt smooth all the time.

The 27 FPS match at HPG can also be a fluke bcs sometimes you have matches with low FPS for no known reason - afair the Heat and Night Vision did not work that match too so it may have been be simply bugged.

Edited by Thorqemada, 10 December 2014 - 01:31 AM.

#9 LennStar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 476 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 01:05 AM

View PostCatamount, on 09 December 2014 - 04:58 PM, said:

Is anyone else having trouble installing this? I ran the installer, it did nothing, declared success, and I'm still stuck with 14.9. This is on Windows TP

It crashed first time for me in the middle of installing. Second try after the reboot was smooth but started at start.

#10 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:40 AM

Take care for the right Version - the Win7 Drviers dont work on Win8.1 Machines and vice versa.

Desintall the old Driver but be aware that some People lose their USB functionality when the USB Driver is also removed.
But if you have the USB Driver on your HD you can install it if you have a PS2 Keyboard - if not a Win repair install is needed.

I had no trouble at all so far.

#11 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:20 PM

I have noticed a small improvement as well. I have vsync on so it caps at 60 but it seems the minimum FPS is higher, and drops less frequently. Especially during times with a lot of smoke and stuff it maintained a higher fps than usual. If I had to guess maybe %5-10 increase :)

I have an Intel chipset but my video card is an r9 290 and was using maxed out MWO settings

Funny they called it Omega.. back in the day I used to get the unofficial ATI drivers from the omegadrivers site.

Edited by cSand, 10 December 2014 - 09:26 PM.

#12 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 04:19 AM

Windows Update may have borked your Driver Installation:
http://www.infoworld...il-defende.html

#13 Bors Mistral

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 313 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 14 December 2014 - 06:45 PM

The Omega drivers do seem to improve framerate a bit, trough hit's still not enough to make a dent in the attack/defend slowdowns.

It seems to me that the game has a serious problem rendering smoke. I don't know if that on AMD cards only, but that simple effect has been a menace to smooth gameplay since closed beta. That's especially the case with heat from overheating weapon barrels.

Please PGI, look into it, it should be an easy fix and it'll make a lot of people happy.

#14 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:54 AM

When you watch Twitchstreams with FPS Counters you see that everybody takes the FPS hit.

#15 Gianky

• PipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 77 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 05:23 AM

Has anyone tried this new drivers with a 7970? Any improvement?

#16 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:53 PM

View PostGianky, on 20 December 2014 - 05:23 AM, said:

Has anyone tried this new drivers with a 7970? Any improvement?

Yes, I have the XFX 7970 3gb and installed the new drivers last night. I also jumped over to the 64-bit client. I am seeing smoother game play, and an increase of 20-50 frames per second with both in effect. All settings are on High to Very high, postAA on, no vsync, and Dx11

#17 Marauder3D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 744 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 26 December 2014 - 07:40 AM

Would these Omega drivers help older AMD rigs too?

Thuban at 2.8, 8 gigs ram and an old HD5870 card.

cheers!

#18 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 07:45 AM

View PostMarauder3D, on 26 December 2014 - 07:40 AM, said:

Would these Omega drivers help older AMD rigs too?

Thuban at 2.8, 8 gigs ram and an old HD5870 card.

cheers!

I could be wrong, check their site, but yes I think the 5800's series is the lowest on the list for this new "omega" driver. Should help, I have noticed some gains.

#19 Marauder3D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 744 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 26 December 2014 - 07:47 AM

Sounds good, I'll check it out when I drive my family home from the in-laws house later today.

Upgrading chipset drivers? That sounds a little scary. I'm certain I've never done that before.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users