#1 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 10 December 2014 - 11:08 AM

I have to admit I'm really disappointed with the lack of customization that paints allow on Clan mechs...and even some of the new IS mechs.

A lot of the newer mechs are way too shiny (specular needs toning down in their shaders) and are not optimally configured for proper user customization with regard to pain schemes — oftentimes the primary, secondary, and tertiary color slot only affect a very small section of the mech...and that's if you even have the option of secondary and tertiary color slots (many of the "special" mechs do not).

With how much paints cost, I feel like this needs to change. A large part of my enjoyment in playing MWO is customizing my mech's appearance. With the specular set so high, it pretty much cancels any color you apply and just reflects whatever color the map's environment lights are set to (or at least that's what it looks like).

Just wanted to vent...as this is something I've been noticing as becoming more and more of a problem lately with the newer mechs.

Edited by Bhael Fire, 10 December 2014 - 11:49 AM.

#2 Logan Hawke

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 504 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 11:18 AM

Eeyup, more cosmetic customization is almost always better. I'd like to put my camos on my Invasion/Phoenix/Hero mechs since they tend to be the only variants I keep.

#3 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 12:01 PM

I can understand the Heroes and other special mechs being locked to their unique camo pattern, but the fact that you can't really change the colors on some of the newer ones is a bit frustrating.

Almost 80-90% of the chassis can't be painted on the new mechs, as it's locked to that shiny metallic grey. I think they went overboard with the shiny metallic shaders on the new mechs.

#4 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 10 December 2014 - 04:27 PM

Which mechs are we talking about here?

#5 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:01 AM

View PostTroutmonkey, on 10 December 2014 - 04:27 PM, said:

Which mechs are we talking about here?

A lot of the newer mechs and Heroes are way too shiny compared to the older mechs. The specular on the shaders is set too high, so oftentimes the color applied to the mech is canceled out by the reflective quality of the shader (which tends to make the mech appear the same color as the map environment lights no matter what color the mech is painted). I don't mind a bit of "fresh paint" sheen, but a lot of the newer mechs are getting ridiculously shiny like mirrored disco balls with legs.

Then the other issue is that a vast majority of Clan mechs and camos have limited paintable areas, with some even lacking secondary and tertiary paint slots. A good number of these mechs are covered in that shiny grey metallic color which can't be painted.

For example, the new Wolf Clan camo pastern does not allow you to change the green on the pattern and the areas that you can assign color to are drowned out by the specular on the shader.

This devalues the paints that I paid for. I don't mind not being able to paint certain areas of the mech (especially for certain artistic camo patterns), but the amount of paintable areas on the newer mechs is getting less and less it seems.

I just think this needs to be carefully considered when they release new mechs and on the existing mechs with these issues.

Edited by Bhael Fire, 11 December 2014 - 11:09 AM.

#6 StonedDead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • LocationOn a rock, orbiting a giant nuclear reactor

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:15 AM

We need an option for flat/gloss paint.

I believe the reward mech's paint was done that way on purpose. I happen to really like the paint on the new KC, and glad they didn't go with the artwork pattern. I put green on the legs, yellow on top and it sort of picks up environment colors in some places.

I do get what you're saying though OP. I bought a Timberwolf and played with the paint settings, and all of the camo looked great, but it was like it was super high gloss(but had good coverage). The older mechs, all IS, are splotchy and dull in comparison. I guess it's supposed to look like that because IS mechs were usually hundreds of years old, but if I put a new paint job on it you think it would cover that stuff too.

Edited by Zekester81, 11 December 2014 - 11:25 AM.

#7 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:44 AM

Ultimately, I can deal with the shiny metallic look, as long as I can at least assign a paint color to it.

My biggest concern is having large areas of the mech that can't be painted at all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users