Mech Selection For Cw Drops

12 replies to this topic

#1 Jaegerwulf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 05:16 AM

for dropping into CW battles, one needs to select 4 mechs; what array mechs seems optimal considering the weight limits? should I consider/avoid an Assault? for regular play I am currently enjoying the Hellbringer prime so far, what mechs would complement that?

#2 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,659 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 12 December 2014 - 05:44 AM

Right now the weight limit is 140 to 240 tons. Hellbringer is 65 tons, leaving 175 tons. That is your decision. 65+65 for two Hellbringers leaves 110ton. 3x65 = 195tons, leaving 45tons or less to play with. And of course if you are dropping as a unit then complimentary mechs/setup will generally already have been suggested/planned out.

You want to play to your strengths but after the several drops you may alter your approach. And do not worry what order they are on your drop deck as you get to decide which mech to drop with 1st/etc. (chuckles) I was not aware of that at first, so I went about setting them up in order, Mech 1/2/3/4. I think I wasted 15 minutes on that alone.....

Their next task will be to set it up to show only those mechs that are valid configurations and the mech lines that are selectable.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 12 December 2014 - 05:45 AM.

#3 Sandtiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 262 posts
  • LocationVernal Utah

Posted 12 December 2014 - 05:50 AM

View PostJaegerwulf, on 12 December 2014 - 05:16 AM, said:

for dropping into CW battles, one needs to select 4 mechs; what array mechs seems optimal considering the weight limits? should I consider/avoid an Assault? for regular play I am currently enjoying the Hellbringer prime so far, what mechs would complement that?

Jeager,
My first question my friend, is are you planing on playing IS or Clan? The mechs you take will depend greatly on which faction you are with.

Second. For Community Warfare Launch I have my mechs ready to roll. Because of the tonnage limits Max & Minimum. I have selected these four mechs for my drop ship.

1, Banshee 3E 95 tons. Can be swapped out with King Crab or Fatlass.

2. Dragon 1N 60 tons .

3. Black Jack-3 45 tons

4. Raven 3L 35 tons

Remember you have to be at or above 140 tons, and at or below 240 tons. These are my favored, so that is what I am rolling with. I might have other drop options in the future, but that will depend on how CW rolls. =]

I hope this Helps! Cheers!
~Sand

Edit: I had a typo on the minimum tonnage limit. Changed for accuracy.

Edited by Sandtiger, 12 December 2014 - 05:53 AM.

#4 Macksheen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationNorth Cackalacky

Posted 12 December 2014 - 06:04 AM

If you're clan and prefer the Hellbringer, 2xHellbringer, 2xStormcrow is pretty solid.

If you're IS - well, you're leaving the HBR home.

#5 Soul Tribunal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 606 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 December 2014 - 06:27 AM

I cannot speak for what to bring in a Clan Drop Deck.
For myself I opted for 3 Mediums, and one really nasty Assault Mech. The plan of attack was pretty straight forward (though I need to revise it some since my Mediums are Ammo Dependent) I use my 3 mediums to keep the pressure up, and support the team, I leave my Assault for the absolute last when most of everyones Mechs are Spent and wounded.
Then with the fresh heavy hitter I tank the damage for the team on the final push and use my excellent firepower or mobility (depending on if I took the KGC or my Victor) to help secure the win.

We did that last night, 4 of the members of our Davion Drop all kept their KGC's till last. It was a tight tight match up until that point. We alone in that final push took out 10 Mechs. 3 of which I got in the span of 30sec or so because of the battle situation.
Dual AC20's are brutal on a softened up enemy.

-ST

#6 Panzerjotun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 264 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 06:54 AM

Its hard to say this early but I saw lots of reckless play last night. Especially from 12 man teams which honestly were splitting 50-50 against the pugs I was in. My strategy has been to play careful and try to stay in one mech as long as possible. I have noticied that low ammo builds are not really the best choice in a 30 minute match. Caveat being you are one of those reckless players...

#7 Jaegerwulf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:48 PM

I guess I should have mentioned in the OP, I am currently allied with clan wolf, and I am not necessarily looking for specific mechs yet just an idea of what mix of weight classes I should use

up until now I have been playing mostly mediums and heavies.... reasons being I can't move as fast as you need to move and still aim in a light and i find most assaults too slow

#8 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 08:31 PM

Clan drop deck should pretty much be 3x SCRs/ 1x TBR or 2x SCRs/ 2x HBRs w/ ECM if you're dropping solo.

#9 Igorius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 215 posts
  • LocationA place beyond your dreams

Posted 12 December 2014 - 08:45 PM

I've had some luck with a light, two mediums, and a heavy. Of course, those are Mechs and loadouts I'm very familiar with, so YMMV. Tried running a heavier mix than that, and I just ended up becoming the primary target when everything hit the fan.

#10 Inveramsay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationStar's End

Posted 13 December 2014 - 10:07 AM

I bring a raven 3L sniper, an ember in usual config, a battlemaster 1s with 2xLRM15+A with 2k LRMs with LPLas backups and a battlemaster 1G with 2xPPC, AC10 and three MLAS.

With this deck I've had great success, 11 kills as the most and about 2.5k damage.

For the first mech I'd say you generally want something pretty mobile with long range so my 3L goes in first. With damaged enemies the LRMs work even better so the 1S goes in second usually. At this stage it really depends on how it is going, if there are lots of stragglers you want something fast which is capable of killing off the damaged enemies quickly so my Ember is ideal for that. Then dropping in an assault when the rest of the field are running damaged quite often fairly light mechs can be a nasty shock for them and they start dropping like flies.

I personally like running most mechs but assaults and lights are the two classes I enjoy the most. And for CW, make sure you bring a lot more ammo than you would in 12v12 pug land

Edited by Inveramsay, 13 December 2014 - 10:07 AM.

#11 xe N on

• 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 December 2014 - 11:35 AM

While for Clans - as above stated - it is quite obviously also because of the limited amount of mechs available, for IS it's a little more tricky.

There are several combinations, that seem to be interesting:

A.) 65+65+55+55 = 240 (aka 2xJaeger + 2xMed SRM brawler)
B.) 95+55+55+35 = 240 (Banshee + 2 SRM brawler + "unleashing the light zerg")
C.) 85+65+55+35 = 240 (Stalker + Jaeger + SRM brawler + "unleashing the light zerg")

Unfortunately, I cannot realize one of them - I'm missing Banshee, Stalker and the Jaeger.

None 100 ton you may ask? Yes. I think neither the Atlas not the King Crab is quite suitable for CW.

Edited by xe N on, 14 December 2014 - 11:36 AM.

#12 dusted

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 31 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 15 December 2014 - 05:05 PM

The Atlas has its role in CW. It is a great "Storm the Breach" mech, for being the first into the open gates, to draw fire and tank damage as the meds and heavies get through. However, it only works if your team is coordinated and waits for the Atlases to arrive. Its completely useless as a pug as you spend half the watch walking to the gates, then you get focus fired on as soon as you walk in alone.

#13 dr bongstorm

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 05:39 PM

I have been taking three 65 ton direct fire mechs and one ECM light.

65 ton mechs can carry as much firepower as much larger mechs and most can move 80 fairly easily. There is always need for 30-40 damage pinpoint alphas on the battlefield, and a 65 ton mech carries that payload and can get to where it needs to be quickly.

Edited by dr bongstorm, 15 December 2014 - 05:42 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users