What Are Factions? Sorry Newb Q

10 replies to this topic

#1 TwitchTv Morkani

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 76 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 12 December 2014 - 01:10 PM

ok, so i've done "some" internet searching, nothing ingame states the benefits of factions, is the meta game grant availability to clan gear or something? i see where i can choose different ones, i created an "army" even though it's just me in it. i put 50k in the coffers, but i don't see any benefit for being in this army or 1 how to play in factions, and 2. what's the purpose anyways?

thanks for your time.

#2 Tezcatli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 02:47 PM

The last thing I heard about it, it's going to be cosmetic things, like decals, paints, and military ranks of that faction. Other than that it's just fluff.

Right now the coffers don't really do much. But they said they would add things like different jump ships and defense upgrades.

#3 Amro One

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 136 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 02:58 PM

It's called beta for a reason.

#4 TwitchTv Morkani

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 76 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 12 December 2014 - 05:38 PM

View PostJazriel, on 12 December 2014 - 02:58 PM, said:

It's called beta for a reason.

it was called beta in 2012, and we're entering 2015, i thought this game had launched and no more wipes?

In anycase, my question wasn't about a feature working or not working, it's a question about factions/clans what's it matter the allegiance i go with, what can i do with the LP i earn for participating in there.

helpfull responces only please, and thanks Tezcatli for your reply (you mentioned that was the last thing you heard about it) does anyone have anything more definitative? or is it just not implimented yet?

thanks again

#5 Hrothgarr

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:37 AM

There are 2 factions. Inner sphere (IS) and clan. They differ in game by the mechs they use for CW. With in those 2 factions there are subfactions that differ flavor wise. Down the road there will be faction and subfaction specific benefits. Looks like at first it will mostly be cosmetic, but down the road there may be mechs released that are faction loyalty based. That is quite a while down the road though.

If you interested in looking the flavor of the subfactions you can find wiki sites about it.

#6 POWR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 553 posts
  • LocationAarhus, Denmark

Posted 15 December 2014 - 02:35 PM

View PostMorkani, on 12 December 2014 - 05:38 PM, said:

it was called beta in 2012, and we're entering 2015, i thought this game had launched and no more wipes?

In anycase, my question wasn't about a feature working or not working, it's a question about factions/clans what's it matter the allegiance i go with, what can i do with the LP i earn for participating in there.

helpfull responces only please, and thanks Tezcatli for your reply (you mentioned that was the last thing you heard about it) does anyone have anything more definitative? or is it just not implimented yet?

thanks again

Beta of the Community Warfare feature. You can read ALL about it in the command chair posts. Literally all about it. Pages upon pages of information from the devs.

Edited by POWR, 15 December 2014 - 02:37 PM.

#7 KuroNyra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:19 AM

View PostPOWR, on 15 December 2014 - 02:35 PM, said:

Beta of the Community Warfare feature. You can read ALL about it in the command chair posts. Literally all about it. Pages upon pages of information from the devs.

For thoses who do not understand.
Because the game itself is no longer in beta does not mean all the content in it are also out of Beta.
Community Warfare is a special part of the game with is own rules and is still under big works. And so is mostly a Beta.

#8 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,659 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:25 AM

View PostMorkani, on 12 December 2014 - 01:10 PM, said:

ok, so i've done "some" internet searching, nothing ingame states the benefits of factions, is the meta game grant availability to clan gear or something? i see where i can choose different ones, i created an "army" even though it's just me in it. i put 50k in the coffers, but i don't see any benefit for being in this army or 1 how to play in factions, and 2. what's the purpose anyways?

thanks for your time.

As others have noted and linked, there are two major factions (Canadians - but they are the only one to take up the game after 10+ years !!!). Each faction is made up different entities, Houses (or Innersphere States) and Clans (incoming from the other reaches to show those of the Innersphere the true way).

Lots of history and gaming material that started in 1984 with Battletech (shortrun aka Battledroid before name change), from novels, sourcebooks, boardgames, video games/etc.

On the unit part, again Canadians (I am sure I will get smack soon), thought it best to allow someone to be the General of the Armies instead of something more appropriate, especially since there are no COC among the various units of the Houses and Clans.

www.sarna.net

#9 TwitchTv Morkani

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 76 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 20 December 2014 - 07:18 PM

so, correct me if i'm understanding it wrong, but from a gamer's standpoint without any of the legend/lore (i never got a chance to read any of the books and i played some tabletop but never with lore), it seems like it doesn't really matter which house i start grinding LP's up with. one is just as good as the other (again, taking out lore/legend). or is that too simple?

#10 Lucky Noob

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sovereign
  • The Sovereign
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:21 PM

True Man is Viking, Rest is Kittys :wub:

Serious, from an plain Theroretical Fiew it makes no Difference exept witch Enemys you fight primary.

So you know, Horns on Helms, Beer and Axes........ :wub:

#11 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,659 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:57 PM

View PostMorkani, on 20 December 2014 - 07:18 PM, said:

so, correct me if i'm understanding it wrong, but from a gamer's standpoint without any of the legend/lore (i never got a chance to read any of the books and i played some tabletop but never with lore), it seems like it doesn't really matter which house i start grinding LP's up with. one is just as good as the other (again, taking out lore/legend). or is that too simple?

Correct, it does not matter if you are not into the lore/etc. Unfortunately there are no Planetary lobbies/Bars (used to have bars in EGA MPBT 3025 and MPBT Solaris) for you to chat with others.

Lore-wise in the Community Warfare Clans can only use clan mechs, Innersphere IS mechs. In the public queue it does not matter.

Kurita - Feudal Japan/Samurai culture
Rasalhague - Vikings!! and in lore get gobbled up/merged with Clan Ghostbears
Liao - Chinese Dynasty with lots of outlying non-chinese personnel
Davion - Western European collective
Steiner - German merchants
Marik - Eastern European/Balkins

Clans - in general the Army of the Star League which left the Innersphere after the Star League regime was wiped out and the other 5 Houses (was 6 Houses with House Cameron/Star League zone) so that its soldiers and their families would not be used in the coming Succession Wars.

That Army made some dramatic changes to its structure when the people from different Houses started to play out the Succession Wars in their way, which eventually changed to the Clans with a Warrior Hierarchy. Among the Clans there there came two major ideologies: Wardens - To Protect and Serve the IS from outside sources; and the Crusaders, who saw it as their right to return to the IS, to put their ideas in place.

Most of that is from memory (and I am getting up there....). I will say this. For myself it is the history and the shape that universe has taken that has kept me interested in not just this game, but overall. Another game that FASA created that dealt, the Renegade Legion universe I had also enjoyed but it did not catch on as much as Battletech with its huge machines. Another way to view this is Battletech was and still is for some one of those games that had been played on military bases and out in the field. It has had its wide range of audiences.

Hope you enjoy yourself!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users