Looking For Kurita Rp Drop Decks

67 replies to this topic

#21 CocoaJin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 11 January 2015 - 02:16 PM

Converted the WVR-6K to a 3x LPL Wuberine...has a single MPL in the head for Zombie action. I might do some more adjustments to see if I can get another MPL in there, or convert the MPL to two ML.

Edit:
Leaving it as a 3x LPL + 1x MPL

I Love how the hip and shoulder armor plates, plus the boot like legs makes this think look like a samurai. My right arm with 3x LPL is basically my sword, the head mounted MPL is like my short blade. Have a perfect paint job for it too, completes the theme.

Edit #2:
Ok, this thing just earned a name...only my most beloved and proven mechs earn names.

Edited by CocoaJin, 11 January 2015 - 11:08 PM.

#22 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:25 AM

Im going to try the Atlas-K...don't try and talk me out of it, my mind is set. I figure it's ranged based set up isn't as much of a liability not that there are plenty of Assaults that can carry the brawler role in the lance. That being said, I'm still going to be up front, just behind the other Assaults...my LRMs can do just as well at 300m as they carom 1200m. Plus, my LPLs or PPCs can still provide greet support for the brawlers(yeah, I know...I'm not thinking ill go ER-LLs).

#23 Samurai Hanse Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 243 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:27 AM

Does The Pilot You Role Play As Suffer From Brain Damage?

#24 An Anime Princess

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 229 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 12:56 PM

View PostCocoaJin, on 16 February 2015 - 10:25 AM, said:

Im going to try the Atlas-K...don't try and talk me out of it, my mind is set. I figure it's ranged based set up isn't as much of a liability not that there are plenty of Assaults that can carry the brawler role in the lance. That being said, I'm still going to be up front, just behind the other Assaults...my LRMs can do just as well at 300m as they carom 1200m. Plus, my LPLs or PPCs can still provide greet support for the brawlers(yeah, I know...I'm not thinking ill go ER-LLs).

lrm damage is spread across all limbs. yes getting hit by lrms is annoying, but with a little positioning you can walk away with your whole body yellow instead of one part completely destroyed. dont put lrms on assaults, you're wasting the assault slot, if you don't want to brawl then go play a smaller mech. dont put lrms on assaults. *three atlas ddcs emerge from the sands and bully your stupid lrm atlas into the ground and give it a swirly and steal its lunch money*

#25 Ultra-Laser

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 298 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 01:40 PM

View PostAn Anime Princess, on 16 February 2015 - 12:56 PM, said:

lrm damage is spread across all limbs. yes getting hit by lrms is annoying, but with a little positioning you can walk away with your whole body yellow instead of one part completely destroyed. dont put lrms on assaults, you're wasting the assault slot, if you don't want to brawl then go play a smaller mech. dont put lrms on assaults. *three atlas ddcs emerge from the sands and bully your stupid lrm atlas into the ground and give it a swirly and steal its lunch money*

Never mind a trio of D-DCs, if he goes with PPCs in his arms his only weapon able to hurt anything withing 90 meters will be the GR. I have a soft spot for PPCs on my Atlases, but the poor guy is gonna get eaten alive by a wandering locust.

#26 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 02:22 PM

I'll eventually have 2x MPLs in the torso and an AC10 if experiment with an XL engine. The LRMs won't be my primary weapon. They will be used to disorient and put opponents my lance brawlers are engaging.

Plus, my LRMs are a great deterrent against light mechs harassing the lance. It's one LRM rack on a dual 4x energy build...which can easily be converted into an SRM6 if necessary. The LRMs can be fired over friendly to engage the same target within SRM range...without needing to fire past/through the lance, meaning I'm not holding fire at choke-points. The plan isn't to operate as a typical rear guard LRM...I'm hoping to be more like a MRM for the lance.

I figure I might as well try something different, be unorthodox, feel it out and change if I dont like it. But why go with typical -K builds if no one likes them anyway.

#27 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 02:28 PM

XL In Atlas
Important To Be Different
Standards Are For Davs

#28 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 02:54 PM

View PostVlad Ward, on 16 February 2015 - 02:28 PM, said:

XL In Atlas
Important To Be Different
Standards Are For Davs

I figure if I'm in a rear position in the lance with limited hard points, I might as well bring as many and as heavy a weapon as I can. Better to dish out as much damage as my chassis can carry. Ideally, if I help my Assault lance kill faster, then I'm less likely to get focused and have my XL exposed. It's no guarantee, but it'll be an interesting experiment during my role play.

So, if all, goes as planned, I'll be a dual-PPC, AC10, dual-MPL, LRM20(think MRM20) heavy striker...with dual-AMS.

Edited by CocoaJin, 16 February 2015 - 02:55 PM.

#29 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,682 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 16 February 2015 - 03:05 PM

View PostCocoaJin, on 16 February 2015 - 02:54 PM, said:

I figure if I'm in a rear position in the lance with limited hard points, I might as well bring as many and as heavy a weapon as I can. Better to dish out as much damage as my chassis can carry. Ideally, if I help my Assault lance kill faster, then I'm less likely to get focused and have my XL exposed. It's no guarantee, but it'll be an interesting experiment during my role play.

So, if all, goes as planned, I'll be a dual-PPC, AC10, dual-MPL, LRM20(think MRM20) heavy striker...with dual-AMS.

Posted Image

#30 An Anime Princess

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 229 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 03:06 PM

*rolls a d20* three king crabs emerge from camo netting with uac5s and brutalize your wimpy atlas at melee range while laughing in all chat

#31 The Droid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 186 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 04:27 PM

XL engine and LRMs in a 100 tonner. Next somebody is gonna run in and insist that a locust with an ac20 is great on Counter Attack

#32 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 06:39 PM

Bah, you guys are shaming me into such a boring build. 2x ERLL, AC20, 2x ML, SRM6+A, dual-AMS...STD 350...sad robot :(

Edited by CocoaJin, 16 February 2015 - 06:41 PM.

#33 Time Bandit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 326 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:42 PM

Atlas' should not be in the back, nor have an XL. They should be the spearhead of a push and tanking while teammates are waylaying the enemy that are focused entirely upon YOU

#34 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:40 PM

View PostTime Bandit, on 17 February 2015 - 12:42 PM, said:

Atlas' should not be in the back, nor have an XL. They should be the spearhead of a push and tanking while teammates are waylaying the enemy that are focused entirely upon YOU

Except there are likely 2-3 other capable Assaults to fill that role. The way PGI creates choke points on maps, we've all seen the situation over and over again where your whole Assault lance is unable to bring direct fire to bear on targets. The first two Assaults through the CP get focused and all that extra fire power behind them is wasted.

The idea was to anticipate this scenario and build a chassis around this common occurrence, counting on the masses of other Assaults to fill the typical tank role as described.

I'm not worrying about building my units for duels( it's a team engagement), I'm not assuming a vanilla engagement with unrestricted visibility and uncongested firing lanes(benchmarks don't always tell the whole story)...I'm not worried about carrying...because everyone else already goes there. I'm trying to exploit a commonly ignored niche. I'm not promising any grand results, I'm just wanting to explore the possibilities to see if it can be a worthwhile role. If I know everyone else is going to one thing, I want to see if i can build a counter.

#35 Hobotorius Augustus Kerensky

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:58 PM

View PostCocoaJin, on 17 February 2015 - 09:40 PM, said:

Except there are likely 2-3 other capable Assaults to fill that role. The way PGI creates choke points on maps, we've all seen the situation over and over again where your whole Assault lance is unable to bring direct fire to bear on targets. The first two Assaults through the CP get focused and all that extra fire power behind them is wasted.

The idea was to anticipate this scenario and build a chassis around this common occurrence, counting on the masses of other Assaults to fill the typical tank role as described.

I'm not worrying about building my units for duels( it's a team engagement), I'm not assuming a vanilla engagement with unrestricted visibility and uncongested firing lanes(benchmarks don't always tell the whole story)...I'm not worried about carrying...because everyone else already goes there. I'm trying to exploit a commonly ignored niche. I'm not promising any grand results, I'm just wanting to explore the possibilities to see if it can be a worthwhile role. If I know everyone else is going to one thing, I want to see if i can build a counter.

lmao at this post.
i pray i never drop with you since it means any assault push is doomed to fail while you get cored by a single light.
you'll do much better and actually be an asset to your team with a 350 standard engine, an ac20, 2-4x srm6+artemis (depending on variant) and medium lasers if you fancy build.

#36 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 11:36 PM

View PostHobotorium, on 17 February 2015 - 09:58 PM, said:

lmao at this post.
i pray i never drop with you since it means any assault push is doomed to fail while you get cored by a single light.
you'll do much better and actually be an asset to your team with a 350 standard engine, an ac20, 2-4x srm6+artemis (depending on variant) and medium lasers if you fancy build.

Maybe...maybe not. If I'm with lance, me getting cored requires we all failed. If we Assault push, why can't I be shaking the target's cockpit with LRMs while we advance within brawling range and also during the brawl? Why would my dual-PPCs or ER-PPCs and AC10 and MLs not be contributing to kills just because I have a LRM equipped?

Honestly, how often do 4 Assaults get to move in line abreast? It is generally 2, maybe 3 moving through a choke point, so why would you frown at my LRMs raining in over your heads onto the target if I can't even bring my other direct fire weapons to bear because two of you guys are blocking my line of fire? It's not like I'm trying to hang out in the back of the map and LRM...I'm trying to be right behind the rest of the Assaults, using my LRMs at 200-300m while I get into position to use direct fire weapons with the Assault push.

#37 Hobotorius Augustus Kerensky

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 98 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 12:32 AM

LRM's do negligible damage since they aren't precise - even if they all hit compare your build in terms of firepower and DPS to another build where you have to actually be moving into a position to fire for sure instead of having the crutch that is the LRM letting you think you are doing something valuable. You are going to run far too hot in that build to be useful for how much damage you are doing. If you look at the DPS numbers for an Atlas setup for brawling and an Atlas set up for long range, the long range one is doing just barely over half what a close range Atlas does with just an AC20 and SRMs, and that's before you factor in the brawling Atlas will be delivering all their firepower as focused damage resulting in many enemy mechs cored.

#38 An Anime Princess

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 229 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 12:45 AM

View PostCocoaJin, on 17 February 2015 - 11:36 PM, said:

Maybe...maybe not. If I'm with lance, me getting cored requires we all failed. If we Assault push, why can't I be shaking the target's cockpit with LRMs while we advance within brawling range and also during the brawl? Why would my dual-PPCs or ER-PPCs and AC10 and MLs not be contributing to kills just because I have a LRM equipped?

Honestly, how often do 4 Assaults get to move in line abreast? It is generally 2, maybe 3 moving through a choke point, so why would you frown at my LRMs raining in over your heads onto the target if I can't even bring my other direct fire weapons to bear because two of you guys are blocking my line of fire? It's not like I'm trying to hang out in the back of the map and LRM...I'm trying to be right behind the rest of the Assaults, using my LRMs at 200-300m while I get into position to use direct fire weapons with the Assault push.

a long range assault is probably ok in solo queue where literally nothing matters but a total liability in organised CW where teams like nkva are under ECM coverage 80%-100% of the time. i can count the number of times i've been struck by LRMs to any actual effect on one hand in our CW drops, and i know we've raw dogged PLENTY of really bad atlases that have nothing but long-range weapons while we run around in nothing but lights.

you are of course free to use whatever you want but this kind of stupid argument is always present: someone thinks 'role playing' totally precludes good mechanics and takes a hodgepodge bunch of stuff or a totally weak build and gets all defensive about it and makes up all these hypothetical situations in which it's devastating. the truth is that assault mechs can absorb a ton of damage and if you can't get a formation going where 3 of them can run forward unimpeded then you might as well just all do whatever anyway. your job is to eat mouthfuls of missiles and lasers and punch people in the nuts so hard they puke and fall over because you won't live that long but the rest of your team will completely stomp everyone who has had to concentrate on shooting you because if they don't, your ECM coverage and short-range burst will be a huge problem (as opposed to your LRMs and PPCs which are more of a worry over time)

ok carepost over. good luck friend!!

edit: this isn't like "you're bad lmao" it's just trying to hammer home that LRMs are, at a high level, extremely unreliable weapons. yes it sounds good in practice but unless you are already in a winning position, they aren't going to really do much to improve your chance in a given game and are taking up valuable tons that something punchy and fast like SRMs or an AC20 could be sitting in. or, in the case of the DDC, an ECM making you and your pals immune to LRMs. etc.

Edited by An Anime Princess, 18 February 2015 - 12:54 AM.

#39 ice trey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 18 February 2015 - 03:31 AM

View PostAn Anime Princess, on 16 February 2015 - 03:06 PM, said:

*rolls a d20* three king crabs emerge from camo netting with uac5s and brutalize your wimpy atlas at melee range while laughing in all chat

D20?

If it's Battletech we're talking about, it's the glorious 2D6 you should be using.

#40 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 07:23 AM

View PostAn Anime Princess, on 18 February 2015 - 12:45 AM, said:

a long range assault is probably ok in solo queue where literally nothing matters but a total liability in organised CW where teams like nkva are under ECM coverage 80%-100% of the time. i can count the number of times i've been struck by LRMs to any actual effect on one hand in our CW drops, and i know we've raw dogged PLENTY of really bad atlases that have nothing but long-range weapons while we run around in nothing but lights.

you are of course free to use whatever you want but this kind of stupid argument is always present: someone thinks 'role playing' totally precludes good mechanics and takes a hodgepodge bunch of stuff or a totally weak build and gets all defensive about it and makes up all these hypothetical situations in which it's devastating. the truth is that assault mechs can absorb a ton of damage and if you can't get a formation going where 3 of them can run forward unimpeded then you might as well just all do whatever anyway. your job is to eat mouthfuls of missiles and lasers and punch people in the nuts so hard they puke and fall over because you won't live that long but the rest of your team will completely stomp everyone who has had to concentrate on shooting you because if they don't, your ECM coverage and short-range burst will be a huge problem (as opposed to your LRMs and PPCs which are more of a worry over time)

ok carepost over. good luck friend!!

edit: this isn't like "you're bad lmao" it's just trying to hammer home that LRMs are, at a high level, extremely unreliable weapons. yes it sounds good in practice but unless you are already in a winning position, they aren't going to really do much to improve your chance in a given game and are taking up valuable tons that something punchy and fast like SRMs or an AC20 could be sitting in. or, in the case of the DDC, an ECM making you and your pals immune to LRMs. etc.

The ECM veil is certainly an issue...good point. Ok, so no LRM and no XL, I'll go AC20 and SRM6-A, plus 4x MPLs or MLs if I have the tonnage and cooling.

Edit:AS7-K

Edited by CocoaJin, 18 February 2015 - 08:17 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users