54 replies to this topic

#1 Maelstroem

• PipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 47 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 14 December 2014 - 02:55 AM

I am wondering what you guys would consider the best possible IS drop deck. I assume it has to be more Energy weapon related also best possible Quirks to use. I just saw i am in a dilemma...

I got:

TDR-5SS with 6MPL
DRG-1N with 2x AC5 and 2x ML (67% Cooldown reduction on the the AC5) love this Mech even better than Muromets imo
WVR-6 with 3x LPL (50% cooldown and -25% heat)

and now there is the problem... i got a jaegermech its 65tons which would make 245T.. DAMN! I would love to have the TDR-9S with 3x ER PPC (37% cooldown, -50% heat, 15% velocity) but thats also 245T DAMN!

So what what should i get for 60Tons or should i change something to get the besst possible to use with Quirks. Considering to get the TDR-9S for sure but well.. need some help guys :)

#2 627

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 03:54 AM

if you have 60 tons you maybe want to go down to 55 tons, a shadow hawk or a griffin could be useful.

not sure you'll get happy with another dragon or quickdraw. not that theres something wrong with quickies ( man i hate my quickdraws) but it is a very special mech to run. On the other side you can build some decent laserboats from quicklegged that can even jump, so may that. is worth a try. beside monstrous legs they are some fine mechs.

#3 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 December 2014 - 04:04 AM

After playing around with Jägermechs, Tunders, Cats, Awesome, Jenner, Firestarter, Griffin and Wuberines my curent deck sports:

Jenner (6xML, XL300)
Wuberine (2xLP, 3xML, XL325)
Firebrand (2xAC20, 2xML, XL255)
Victor (AC20, 2x SRM6, 2xML, XL380)
All very vulnerable and short ranged.
Worked very good on defense and on Sulfur because of the close range fights around the covers in the middle.

Other deck I was using before was:
Griffin (3x ASRM6, 3xML, XL275)
Wuberine (2xLP, 3xML, XL300
Thud (2xERPPC, 3xML, STD300)
Firebrand (Gauss, 2xERLL, 4xML, XL280)

The range should be quite good against the Clans, but they just need to look at you with their laser boats and melt away.
Not quite a good idea to have a sniper duel with IS mechs vs Clan mechs.

#4 superteds

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 04:10 AM

i'm running 55t'er (wolverine atm), thunderbolt 5ss, teamwork raven (this should probably be a jenner though) and a stalker. lots of lasers and the stalker is a steal at 85t

#5 Reitrix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 04:11 AM

At the moment, my untested drop deck is;
AWS-8Q with 3x PPC and 3x ML
STK-5M with 4x PPC, 4x Streak and 1x ML
Deaths Knell with ER PPC
CN9-D with LBX/SRM shotgun build.

Thats what i want to try. If i could ever find a match >_<

#6 Walluh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 682 posts
  • LocationLovingly stroking my Crab Waifu

Posted 14 December 2014 - 04:36 AM

Drop the dragon down, get more Thunderbolts, win.

#7 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 14 December 2014 - 04:39 AM

Im currently at 235 tons

Kitfox, Hellbringer and 2 summoners

when IS I was bringing a dakka kingcrab, a ecm cicada, ecm locust and a LL LRM 8T awesome.

Edited by MonkeyCheese, 14 December 2014 - 05:20 AM.

#8 Joey Tankblaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 516 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 04:44 AM

235 ton IS Drop Deck
Raven 3l,2x ER Laser
Trebuchet 7K, ERPPC/Gauss
Kintaro, 2x LL/3x SRM4+art
Wubshee, 4x LPL/4x MPL

First 2 are ranged fighters, last 2 are mid to close range brawlers. The Raven is especially useful as first drop. Made it through one match. Love it.

Edited by Joey Tankblaster, 14 December 2014 - 04:45 AM.

#9 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 14 December 2014 - 04:51 AM

2 Griffins set with er large lasers, one with 3x lrm5s the other with 4x medium lasers, bnc3e with 3 ac5 2ppc, and a jr7d with two er larges.

Set mostly for long range to poke with clanners.

#10 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 14 December 2014 - 05:03 AM

So far I've done ok by opening with an LRM Battlemaster and following it up (in no particular order) with 2 Centurions and a Shadowhawk.

#11 Tahribator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 05:05 AM

I'm still getting a feeling for the whole CW decks, but I have some observations.

First, the Clans can put out waves after waves of Stormcrows and Timber Wolves (the optimal Clan deck is pretty much 3xSCR+TBR with some variations involving HBR and MDD). These 'Mechs are hard to take down and do a lot of damage before they go down, even in inexperienced hands. With this deck, the Clans teams keep a constant firepower and tank on the field as the battle progresses, while the IS players are forced to bring 'Mechs like lights or silly mediums/heavies at least once to face these, potentially tipping the power scale in Clans' favor. We need IS decks with such firepower that these SCR/TBR blobs can be dealt with some efficiency.

Also, the current maps with their wide open areas favor ranged weaponry more than brawling, so the advantage goes to the Clans again.

When it comes to 'Mechs, in my opinion, the IS heavies are just not up to snuff with their Clan counterparts. None of them are particularly tanky, most of them can't boat energy, and the ones which can have huge flaws in their design. Some of them can be glass cannons (Dual Gauss Jager/CTF, ridiculously quirked Dragons), but they lack the tank to outlive their Clan counterparts. Some of them can outbrawl the Clans, but brawls rarely occur. On the other hand, the IS side has awesome lights/mediums and assaults. I think an optimal deck should focus on these classes.

We also need to consider which weapons of the IS are very effective. Since the CW maps involve mostly medium to long range combat at the moment, we need to look at weapons packing punch at range. In the laser department, IS LL and ML just lack the range and punch to be effective in these maps. IS LPL is on the other hand, is one of the best lasers in this game when it comes to punch, but lacks the range.

The best the IS has to over the Clans are ballistics and LRM's. Especially IS AC5/UAC5 are arguably one of the best weapons in this game. Excellent speed, damage and fire rate. AC20 also falls into the LPL category, packs a punch but lacks the range. IS LRM boats also beat Clan LRM boats not in firepower, but in damage application. Clan 'Mechs usually have more surface area than IS 'Mechs, so they're more susceptible to the huge burst damage of IS LRM's.

With those settled, an optimal IS deck should involve these 'Mechs and weapons:
  • 'Mechs: A/A/M/L, A/M/M/L, A/H/M/L. As many capable assaults on the field as possible. Mostly snipers/LRM with a few SRM "shock troops" in reserve for objective combat.
  • Weapons: ERLL, LPL for trading with laser vomits. AC/UAC5 and AC20. Dedicated ALRM boats.
Also the 'Mechs should be chosen for those with as many high mounted hardpoints as possible to utilize cover efficiently. Considering "good" 'Mechs, this leaves following mechs in each category.

Assaults: Stalker (LRM/Laser), Battlemaster (LRM/Laser), Banshee (Laser/Ballistic), King Crab (Energy/Ballistic/Missile — general purpose annihilator).
Heavies: CTF-3D (Dual Gauss/Poptart). CPLT-K2 (PPC/Ballistic sniping). No glass cannons like JM/DRG/QKD/CTF or brawlers like the Orion.
Mediums: Shadowhawk (Ballistic), Griffin (Shock troops/SRM brawlers for the last objective), Cicada-3M (Laser/PPC), Hunchback-GI/4G (Gauss/AC20), Kintaro-18/Golden Boy (LRM)
Lights: Raven-3L (2xERLL), Spider-5D (ERLL, scouting, ECM coverage), Firestarter-A/H (Laser, close-mid range backstabbers). Other lights are last resort fillers only.

It gets easier from here, the builds are up to you, as long as you adhere to the 'Mechs and weapons up there. For example, an optimal deck could be:

Ballistic-heavy face melter deck:
BNC-3E (3xAC5+4xML/3xAC5+2xLL), SHD (2xAC5/UAC5+2xML), GRF-3M (4xASRM4+2xML), Firestarter-H (6xML).

Laser-heavy endurance deck:
STK-3F (4xERLL+23DHS), BLR-1G (4xERLL+2xLL), CDA-3M (3xERLL), SDR-5D (2xERLL)

Lurmageddon deck:
Your Stalker of flavor/BLR-1S (2xLRM10+2xLRM15), 2xKTO-18 (5xLRM5), VND-1AA (ALRM20+Tag)

Annihilation deck:
KGC-0000 (2xUAC5, 4xERLL), BNC-3E (same as above), LCT (whatever), COM-2D (for ECM coverage and general annoyance)

Balanced deck:

BNC-3E (same as above), GRF-3M (3xASRM4+2xML), HBK-4G (AC20+2xML), CDA-3M (3xERLL)

Just some food for thought. I'll probably improve upon this as I play more and have more time to think about it.

Edited by Tahribator, 14 December 2014 - 05:14 AM.

#12 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 December 2014 - 05:07 AM

Currently

Brawler Victor
Laserhunch 9P
Jenner F
Phract with 2LPL, AC10, 3MLs or 1LPL,2MPL,1AC20

235 Tons

Before the VIctor I had an Awesome 9M there with 3PPCs, worked really fine, just wanted to change stuff up a bit.

Next I'm switching against an 4LL,4SRM6 Stalker

#13 Thunder Lips Express

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 905 posts
  • LocationFrom parts unknown

Posted 14 December 2014 - 06:04 AM

I like picking a hero from each weight class. Boars head, muromets, yen lo, Pirate bane

#14 Kyle Travis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 210 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 06:14 AM

Have been trying:

Catapult C1, Pirates Bane (ECm is useful), Kintaro and King Crab (been pretty good in two of the games)

now thinking about how to use Raven 3L,

#15 Agent1190

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 469 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 14 December 2014 - 06:22 AM

My first drop deck (and still survives to this day):

Hellslinger Battlemaster 2xLRM15 + 6 tons ammo, 2xLPL, 2xML
Wolverine 6K 3xLPL, 1xMPL
Firebrand Jager 2xAC20 + 6 tons ammo, 2xML
Raven 3L 3xML, 1xSRM4, 1xNARC, ECM

First drop: 12 kills, 25 assists, 2100+ damage, 869K CBills, 1700 faction loyalty points

#16 Maelstroem

• PipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 47 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 14 December 2014 - 06:37 AM

View PostTahribator, on 14 December 2014 - 05:05 AM, said:

I'm still getting a feeling for the whole CW decks, but I have some observations.

First, the Clans can put out waves after waves of Stormcrows and Timber Wolves (the optimal Clan deck is pretty much 3xSCR+TBR with some variations involving HBR and MDD). These 'Mechs are hard to take down and do a lot of damage before they go down, even in inexperienced hands. With this deck, the Clans teams keep a constant firepower and tank on the field as the battle progresses, while the IS players are forced to bring 'Mechs like lights or silly mediums/heavies at least once to face these, potentially tipping the power scale in Clans' favor. We need IS decks with such firepower that these SCR/TBR blobs can be dealt with some efficiency.

Also, the current maps with their wide open areas favor ranged weaponry more than brawling, so the advantage goes to the Clans again.

When it comes to 'Mechs, in my opinion, the IS heavies are just not up to snuff with their Clan counterparts. None of them are particularly tanky, most of them can't boat energy, and the ones which can have huge flaws in their design. Some of them can be glass cannons (Dual Gauss Jager/CTF, ridiculously quirked Dragons), but they lack the tank to outlive their Clan counterparts. Some of them can outbrawl the Clans, but brawls rarely occur. On the other hand, the IS side has awesome lights/mediums and assaults. I think an optimal deck should focus on these classes.

We also need to consider which weapons of the IS are very effective. Since the CW maps involve mostly medium to long range combat at the moment, we need to look at weapons packing punch at range. In the laser department, IS LL and ML just lack the range and punch to be effective in these maps. IS LPL is on the other hand, is one of the best lasers in this game when it comes to punch, but lacks the range.

The best the IS has to over the Clans are ballistics and LRM's. Especially IS AC5/UAC5 are arguably one of the best weapons in this game. Excellent speed, damage and fire rate. AC20 also falls into the LPL category, packs a punch but lacks the range. IS LRM boats also beat Clan LRM boats not in firepower, but in damage application. Clan 'Mechs usually have more surface area than IS 'Mechs, so they're more susceptible to the huge burst damage of IS LRM's.

With those settled, an optimal IS deck should involve these 'Mechs and weapons:
  • 'Mechs: A/A/M/L, A/M/M/L, A/H/M/L. As many capable assaults on the field as possible. Mostly snipers/LRM with a few SRM "shock troops" in reserve for objective combat.
  • Weapons: ERLL, LPL for trading with laser vomits. AC/UAC5 and AC20. Dedicated ALRM boats.
Also the 'Mechs should be chosen for those with as many high mounted hardpoints as possible to utilize cover efficiently. Considering "good" 'Mechs, this leaves following mechs in each category.

Assaults: Stalker (LRM/Laser), Battlemaster (LRM/Laser), Banshee (Laser/Ballistic), King Crab (Energy/Ballistic/Missile — general purpose annihilator).
Heavies: CTF-3D (Dual Gauss/Poptart). CPLT-K2 (PPC/Ballistic sniping). No glass cannons like JM/DRG/QKD/CTF or brawlers like the Orion.
Mediums: Shadowhawk (Ballistic), Griffin (Shock troops/SRM brawlers for the last objective), Cicada-3M (Laser/PPC), Hunchback-GI/4G (Gauss/AC20), Kintaro-18/Golden Boy (LRM)
Lights: Raven-3L (2xERLL), Spider-5D (ERLL, scouting, ECM coverage), Firestarter-A/H (Laser, close-mid range backstabbers). Other lights are last resort fillers only.

It gets easier from here, the builds are up to you, as long as you adhere to the 'Mechs and weapons up there. For example, an optimal deck could be:

Ballistic-heavy face melter deck:
BNC-3E (3xAC5+4xML/3xAC5+2xLL), SHD (2xAC5/UAC5+2xML), GRF-3M (4xASRM4+2xML), Firestarter-H (6xML).

Laser-heavy endurance deck:
STK-3F (4xERLL+23DHS), BLR-1G (4xERLL+2xLL), CDA-3M (3xERLL), SDR-5D (2xERLL)

Lurmageddon deck:
Your Stalker of flavor/BLR-1S (2xLRM10+2xLRM15), 2xKTO-18 (5xLRM5), VND-1AA (ALRM20+Tag)

Annihilation deck:
KGC-0000 (2xUAC5, 4xERLL), BNC-3E (same as above), LCT (whatever), COM-2D (for ECM coverage and general annoyance)

Balanced deck:

BNC-3E (same as above), GRF-3M (3xASRM4+2xML), HBK-4G (AC20+2xML), CDA-3M (3xERLL)

Just some food for thought. I'll probably improve upon this as I play more and have more time to think about it.

thats a very good post. Just wanna add that you should also mention the Quirks. I am currenty choosing Mechs with very good Quirks so thats why the Dragon, Wolverine and Thunderbolt. I got also the BNH-3E mastered but it just dont fit currently in the deck.

#17 Shadow Magnet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 429 posts
  • LocationLake Constance, Germany

Posted 14 December 2014 - 06:52 AM

I like the Stalker 4N with 6x LL. The amount of laser spam is great for defense or doing supressive fire.
Have to try if the Banshee LPL boat works similar effective.

#18 DeamoBD

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 53 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 14 December 2014 - 09:09 AM

I've had some decent succses so far with:

Firestarter-H for hit and runs plus annoyance
Shadowhawk-5M for some UAC-5 plus SRM and ML
Thundergod(thats my Thunderbolt ERPPC build)
Stalker with LRMs,MLs and SRMs

Gets me to 240 and while not the best works decent for defense or offense.

Thinking about switching my SHD for either a Wolverine,Hunchie, or Cent but not sure what to bring yet.

#19 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 14 December 2014 - 09:35 AM

View PostMaelstroem, on 14 December 2014 - 02:55 AM, said:

I am wondering what you guys would consider the best possible IS drop deck. I assume it has to be more Energy weapon related also best possible Quirks to use. I just saw i am in a dilemma...

I got:

TDR-5SS with 6MPL
DRG-1N with 2x AC5 and 2x ML (67% Cooldown reduction on the the AC5) love this Mech even better than Muromets imo
WVR-6 with 3x LPL (50% cooldown and -25% heat)

and now there is the problem... i got a jaegermech its 65tons which would make 245T.. DAMN! I would love to have the TDR-9S with 3x ER PPC (37% cooldown, -50% heat, 15% velocity) but thats also 245T DAMN!

So what what should i get for 60Tons or should i change something to get the besst possible to use with Quirks. Considering to get the TDR-9S for sure but well.. need some help guys :)

will depend entirely on your play style, what chassis you perform best in , and unit composition. There is no global "best".

#20 nungunz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • 612 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 09:41 AM

Been Running the following (primarily for defense):

Firestarter - Because at 4 MG, 4 ML, this has a crazy amount of firepower in a small package and can quickly redeploy.
Centurion - Zombie build with many SRMs
Centurion - Zombie build with many SRMs
KingCrab - DakkaDakka build

Comes in at 235. Might consider grabbing a cicada with ECM for the extra five tons

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users