Battletech Missiles = The Future For Missiles?

5 replies to this topic

#1 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:51 PM

Think about it: anti-missile technology is developing so fast, scaling from as large as Isreal's Iron Dome to individual units like America's airborne/marine anti-missile lasers. It can be as complex as calculating incoming missiles and blasting debris against it like Trophy system, or as simple (relatively) as shooting lots of bullets over that general direction (I heard that's how CIWS works and the technology is pretty common now).

Eventually it would reach the point that singled-out missile would become completely useless, and the most cost-effective way of missile-tossing would be just rain down a bunch of explosives from above the target. Good luck intercepting 20 projectiles at the same time.

#2 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:55 PM

View PostHelmstif, on 15 December 2014 - 01:51 PM, said:

Think about it: anti-missile technology is developing so fast, scaling from as large as Isreal's Iron Dome to individual units like America's airborne/marine anti-missile lasers. It can be as complex as calculating incoming missiles and blasting debris against it like Trophy system, or as simple (relatively) as shooting lots of bullets over that general direction (I heard that's how CIWS works and the technology is pretty common now). Eventually it would reach the point that singled-out missile would become completely useless, and the most cost-effective way of missile-tossing would be just rain down a bunch of explosives from above the target. Good luck intercepting 20 projectiles at the same time.

With lasers and automated targeting systems in general, the future promises very VERY short life-spans for anything on the battlefield.

#3 Sam Slade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationMega city 1

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:11 AM

Look at the Sol weapons system in the old Japanese film Akira

#4 StompingOnTanks

• Bad Company
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:06 PM

View PostHeffay, on 15 December 2014 - 01:55 PM, said:

With lasers and automated targeting systems in general, the future promises very VERY short life-spans for anything on the battlefield.

Which is also probably the reason why the military wants battle-ready robots so bad.

#5 Raggedyman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationFreedonia Institute of Mech Husbandry

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:14 PM

View PostStompingOnTanks, on 17 December 2014 - 02:06 PM, said:

Which is also probably the reason why the military wants battle-ready robots so bad.

I think the main reason is "IT WOULD BE SO DAMN COOL!!!!"

#6 StompingOnTanks

• Bad Company
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:12 PM

View PostRaggedyman, on 23 December 2014 - 12:14 PM, said:

I think the main reason is "IT WOULD BE SO DAMN COOL!!!!"

Most of them look pretty boring to me.

RC mini tanks with a machine gun and flying wing drones that fly in circles and drop bombs on whatever you tag with a laser pointer.

Where are the Terminators? The mechs? The gunship drones? All that cool stuff. That's what I wanna see.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users