Mw4 Mercenaries Crash On Startup

13 replies to this topic

#1 SteamPowered

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:11 PM

So I installed the game using the 2 original discs. First time I launched it it went fine and I could mess around a bit in the mechlab and such. But now that I try and launch it again it just crashes on startup. The screen goes black and then just back to desktop, no error message. I've tried administrator and every single compatibility mode and nothing works. I also tried the gosnomovie thingie and that didn't help either. I tried reinstalling once and that didn't seem to help.

Suggestions?

#2 TheSilken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • LocationLost in The Warp

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:51 PM

I'm having issues with mine too. I installed it on my new computer and everything worked until I tried to create a roster. Then everything (except the base background) dissapeared and I couldn't do anything.

#3 Crann

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:12 PM

Maybe you could try the mechwarrior 4 mercenaries forums from.... 2004... lol seriously though a lot has changed in 10 years, especially if your attemptong to install on x64 architecture. I think what u are experiencing is a well know issue with newer versions of windows for mw4. Try searching MekTek

#4 SteamPowered

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:33 PM

View PostCrann, on 16 December 2014 - 01:12 PM, said:

Maybe you could try the mechwarrior 4 mercenaries forums from.... 2004... lol seriously though a lot has changed in 10 years, especially if your attemptong to install on x64 architecture. I think what u are experiencing is a well know issue with newer versions of windows for mw4. Try searching MekTek

Well MW4 vengeance worked fine through the entire game but mercenaries doesn't for some reason. And I'm not a fan of all the mechs etc that MekTek added or I'd be using that version. I want the "vanilla" experience so to speak.

#5 Crann

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:50 AM

Shot in the dark, Try setting processor affinity to only one core by right clicking the games process from the task manager.

Also, attempt to run in XP SP3 compatibility mode by altering shortcut properties

Edited by Crann, 17 December 2014 - 05:51 AM.

#6 SteamPowered

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:16 AM

View PostCrann, on 17 December 2014 - 05:50 AM, said:

Shot in the dark, Try setting processor affinity to only one core by right clicking the games process from the task manager.

Also, attempt to run in XP SP3 compatibility mode by altering shortcut properties

Compatibility doesn't help and I can't change the affinity because I never get a chance when it boots. Screen goes black and then bam back to desktop :P Thx for the suggestions though!

#7 RaptorRage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 133 posts
  • LocationLB-79

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:42 AM

Might try adding /gosnovideo to the target line after the location of the executable in the shortcut. I think this has the side effect of skipping the intro video or may make the Microsoft Mech Pak side windows not appear in the main menu if you happen to have those installed.

For example: "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\MechWarrior Mercenaries\MW4.exe" /gosnovideo

This site appears to have additional workarounds. Here is the link for Vengeance, which should have fixes that also apply to Mercs.

http://pcgamingwiki....or_4:_Vengeance

Edited by RaptorRage, 17 December 2014 - 08:44 AM.

#8 SteamPowered

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 09:51 AM

View PostRaptorRage, on 17 December 2014 - 08:42 AM, said:

Might try adding /gosnovideo to the target line after the location of the executable in the shortcut. I think this has the side effect of skipping the intro video or may make the Microsoft Mech Pak side windows not appear in the main menu if you happen to have those installed.

For example: "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\MechWarrior Mercenaries\MW4.exe" /gosnovideo

This site appears to have additional workarounds. Here is the link for Vengeance, which should have fixes that also apply to Mercs.

http://pcgamingwiki....or_4:_Vengeance

I tried doing that and it did nothing. Still CTD after black screen. And I had no problems whatsoever with vengeance which is weird :/

#9 Crann

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:59 PM

Try creating another user, or recreating your user profile in Windows (warning, irreversible unless you reallllly know what your doing)

Could be app data issues with user profile

If it works under a different user account, then you know thats the case, if it exhibits the same "run once" behavior, then there is probably something further you can do to the game and files itself to "force" it to work.

Edited by Crann, 17 December 2014 - 12:59 PM.

#10 SteamPowered

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:50 PM

View PostCrann, on 17 December 2014 - 12:59 PM, said:

Try creating another user, or recreating your user profile in Windows (warning, irreversible unless you reallllly know what your doing)

Could be app data issues with user profile

If it works under a different user account, then you know thats the case, if it exhibits the same "run once" behavior, then there is probably something further you can do to the game and files itself to "force" it to work.

I uninstalled the game, created a new profile. Installed the game there and the same thing happens as before. Black screen and crash. I bet if I reinstalled windows I'd work but I aint doing that just for 1 game xD

#11 Crann

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 06:10 AM

Good efforts, sorry couldnt be further help

#12 SteamPowered

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:29 PM

View PostCrann, on 18 December 2014 - 06:10 AM, said:

Good efforts, sorry couldnt be further help

Thx for the help anyways. I caved in and started playing the mektek version which works so.

#13 Why Run

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 370 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:56 AM

Are you trying to install the expansion mechpacks too? They do not work and will crash your game * I spend endless hours trying and finally gave up. Enjoy MW4:V for what it is!

Edited by Why Run, 22 December 2014 - 08:58 AM.

#14 ENOVA

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 18 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 18 Qualifier
  • 115 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:49 AM

Found a solution!
http://mwomercs.com/...-problem-fixed/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users