#41 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:53 PM

View PostUminix, on 17 December 2014 - 10:35 AM, said:

The Nova is and always will be a heatmongering shutdown artist, it therefore becomes up to the pilot to use heat management skills so they do not destroy themselves

it snot about heat, its about the syndrom of the CT and the worst geometry any mech ever had, becaue unlike the dragon it is even more squishy. HEAT NEVER WAS AN ISSUE,

so the polite question would be: why did the Nova not reveived HP quirks like the dragon.

View PostThatGuy539, on 17 December 2014 - 10:00 AM, said:

What's wrong with the Novas? (just curious)

I'm just finishing Mastering them now. Might done tonight. Been liking them too.

I also just started on the Gargoyles. Had the Prime out. Changed it to 2 LB5X and 1 MedLas. With mods on the LB5X. Had a 700+ round in the first game. (No basics unlocked) I'm liking it too.

PS: Some players, maps, mechs, weapons, etc will always be better than others. If everything was the same it'd be dammed boring.
Everyone gets the exact same mech, loadout, and same map every time. And less skilled players get bonuses, and skilled ones get restrictions. Nice and equal. Sounds like fun. :rolleyes:
Yawn...Think I'll go play something else.

how about another test we go 10 matches together with a nova? pre IS quirk it was in tournament the second worst mech, and now its even less worth. it breakes when any mehc just looks at it for a second. It's a mech without any use if you opponent is not a fleet of monkeys. just PM me if you have interets. +5t for the SCR and you get a mech 3x as good, how is that balanced?

And anyone claiming about heatissues with the nova is in my opinion just a medicore skiled player, you don't need to fire all it has, but you need to survive to constantly put out damage.
But surviving in the nova means relying on teamates distracting the opponents. But thats not how you win a game, you need to be able to do a proper game on youself.

#42 Tynan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 277 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:55 PM

Nova is also absurdly oversized (like most mediums). It's supposed to be really short and wide, which would at the very least make it unique (and kind of stealthy, despite the slow speed). Instead, it's tall, fat, slow, and has essentially nothing going for it over, say, the Doomcrow aside from jumpjets, but those are only worth so much.

I mean I want to love the thing, but it's just not a good mech.

#43 Tank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationSelling baguettes in K-Town

Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:59 PM

View PostLily from animove, on 17 December 2014 - 06:49 AM, said:

thats starting 1 am here -.- zzzZZZZZZZZZzzz

It's 3 am for me and I'm not complaining. I see Clan Wolf life is way too cozy. :rolleyes:

​P.S. May require a lot coffee next day...

#44 Sully

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 01:05 PM

View PostSereglach, on 16 December 2014 - 03:50 PM, said:

3. What plans are in mind to continue the balance and tuning passes of mechs? This is particularly important for the extremely short time-to-kill of most mechs. Follow-up: Clans vs. IS Balance ideas? Clans still seem far superior to IS mechs (and I think the dissemination of large/competitive organizations with CW release reflects this).

Um, Clan Mechs are SUPPOSED to be far superior to IS Mechs. Their technology is based on the logical progression of Star League Technology the the IS lost through the Sucession Wars. If PGI was responsible for the Clan Invasion in the BattleTech books, the Inner Sphere would have stopped them far sooner and the battle of Tukayyid would never had happened. In BattleTech, there is no Ghost Heat and no weapon nerfs.

#45 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 01:10 PM

View PostSully, on 17 December 2014 - 01:05 PM, said:

Um, Clan Mechs are SUPPOSED to be far superior to IS Mechs. Their technology is based on the logical progression of Star League Technology the the IS lost through the Sucession Wars. If PGI was responsible for the Clan Invasion in the BattleTech books, the Inner Sphere would have stopped them far sooner and the battle of Tukayyid would never had happened. In BattleTech, there is no Ghost Heat and no weapon nerfs.

but w have a 12vs12 game and we want to play against each other with at least a specific amount of fun for both sides. So imbalance by lore nature makes not much sense. Sure we can in CW balance by tonnage and such, but still there is also the game outside CW, lets please not forget this and the players there.

Edited by Lily from animove, 17 December 2014 - 01:13 PM.

#46 ThatGuy539

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 372 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted 17 December 2014 - 01:12 PM

Personally I don't find them any easier or harder to play...IS vs Clan. Some mechs are easier out of the gate, and some are harder. But after some upgrades, and some skills are unlocked I can usually get them to a comfortable place.

Some require different game styles too. eg. I'm more of a light mech guy, so if I jump back and forth between lights and assaults I sometimes get myself into trouble. Either not moving enough as a light, or getting too far from help with an assault.

It can take a bit to figure out the best way to play some mechs too.

Perhaps some like the MadCats are just easier to play. Well rounded, or just suits the average person's game play style better.

Again, if they were all the same, it'd be a boring game.

Hmm....that reminds me. Been seeing a lot of new players lately. To all new players. Don't use a joystick with this game. Mouse and keyboard work much better. It's so hard to watch an untouched Dire loose to a one legged almost totally red Summoner that is only a hundred feet away because they can't aim properly. (was almost certainly a joystick in use)
As a side note. Try not to rip the new guys a new one with the comments. I'm not sure that guy will be back with the reaming that he got. (They were the last 2 mechs in the match...so everyone was watching and commenting.)

#47 Sully

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 01:23 PM

View PostLily from animove, on 17 December 2014 - 01:10 PM, said:

but w have a 12vs12 game and we want to play against each other with at least a specific amount of fun for both sides. So imbalance by lore nature makes not much sense. Sure we can in CW balance by tonnage and such, but still there is also the game outside CW, lets please not forget this and the players there.

Who is forgetting the players? I'm pointing out that this game has strayed from BT lore. This balancing is ridiculous. Ghost Heat is ridiculous. Nerfing weapons heat/damage is ridiculous. I used to play this game for hours at a time. Now I treat it like solitaire. Play it every once and awhile when I need a break from whatever I'm doing. It is sad. I love BT and MW. This game is like a Corvette with a 4 cylinder engine. Looks good, but is hamstrung by it's engine limitations.

#48 Tynan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 277 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 01:32 PM

I just want to point out that this statement:

View PostSully, on 17 December 2014 - 01:23 PM, said:

Nerfing weapons heat/damage is ridiculous.

is absurd. If you're going to balance but can't nerf heat or damage, then you're left with buffing as your only balancing tool, and that's just idiotic.

Battletech was designed as a tabletop game in which each player would, usually, control lances or mechs, not individuals, and it was balanced as such. I'm not saying what they've done is perfect but if you want to take a game that was designed as team vs. team per player and change it to balanced for mech vs. mech per player, you're going to have to change things.

#49 Clownwarlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 17 December 2014 - 01:36 PM

I loved the nova because of its decent ability to be a sniper being so short it could scoot up to the edge of a hill before pop tarting. This decreased damage because less height I had to jump jet to pop tart and since it was so short it was harder to hit at a distant.

#50 ThatGuy539

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 372 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted 17 December 2014 - 01:36 PM

Some mechs will be better than others at different roles. Otherwise what's the point. Might as well have them all look the same with the same loadouts.

But then being better is relative. You have to play to their strengths. Some may be stand and fight types types, some may be more of a support role type, etc. It adds variety and challenge to the game.

Always fun to see some guy cursing me after I kick his Heavy or Assault butt in a Locust. :)

btw...took out 4 or 5 guys at the end of a match the other day in my sml las Nova Prime. Was just me left (with a missing torso)on my team and all of them. I admit, that isn't the norm, but how bad could the mech be..... B)

#51 Belorion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 17 December 2014 - 01:40 PM

Is there a recording someplace?

#52 Sully

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:30 PM

View PostTynan, on 17 December 2014 - 01:32 PM, said:

I just want to point out that this statement:

is absurd. If you're going to balance but can't nerf heat or damage, then you're left with buffing as your only balancing tool, and that's just idiotic.

Battletech was designed as a tabletop game in which each player would, usually, control lances or mechs, not individuals, and it was balanced as such. I'm not saying what they've done is perfect but if you want to take a game that was designed as team vs. team per player and change it to balanced for mech vs. mech per player, you're going to have to change things.

So, ghost heat and gauss rifle precharging are logical solutions to the inequities between original BattleTech and MWO. Seems legit...

/rolleyes

Edited by Sully, 17 December 2014 - 02:31 PM.

#53 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 03:13 PM

View Postclownwarlord, on 17 December 2014 - 01:36 PM, said:

I loved the nova because of its decent ability to be a sniper being so short it could scoot up to the edge of a hill before pop tarting. This decreased damage because less height I had to jump jet to pop tart and since it was so short it was harder to hit at a distant.

this is untrue at all, because the nova compared to nearly any other mech has to expose more mech or the same, while the mechs having to expose the same are then at least heavys or better armored ones. How does it come people always say this stuff? Do you even use your eyes?
and therefore is worse in this job as nearly any other mech. I don't know why people say this, since its plain wrong. The nova is smaller than a few mechs, but yet evertime you wanna shoot you need to reveal a profile as an heavy or assault.

look:

Posted Image

The Nova has hitboxes worse as some heavies, yet not even close the armor/internals, further its a lot more wide than them.
and ohh who wonders, out little OPWolf even is the lowest height of exposure from all the clan heavies. What a coincidence!
Hell Nova is on the same height as the atlas' body hardpoints LAWL. Ontop its the slowest mech amongst the clanfleet mediums, actually at the speed of heavies again. making time to expose even more worse.

Only the Hellbringer, Gargoyle and Summoner are worse in the amount they have to expose. But hellbringer can at least mount a good amount of damage in the torso. But Nova is doomed with its geometry.

yes, fattest piece of squishi out there, thats the Nova. A medium trapped in an heavy or even assault chassis, No medium deserves that at all and no medium will ever be viable with these crappy hitboxs at those amount of LP/HP.

and poop i just realised 6pm is not 16:00 xD failread so the meeting starts 3 am -.- so no one is truly adressing nova issues, again some poeple will complain about the heat and no real needed changes may ever be initiated.

Edited by Lily from animove, 17 December 2014 - 03:33 PM.

#54 Tynan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 277 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 03:30 PM

View PostSully, on 17 December 2014 - 02:30 PM, said:

So, ghost heat and gauss rifle precharging are logical solutions to the inequities between original BattleTech and MWO. Seems legit...

/rolleyes

Either you're illiterate or disingenuous because that's not what I said and you know it. The point I was making is that if you take nerfs off the table you're left with buffing *only* as a balancing mechanic. I shouldn't have to describe why that's bad for the game.

#55 That Dawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:36 PM

Lets start with endo for the Nova, shall we?

#56 Sudden

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationK2 cockpit

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:21 PM

where can I listen to this

#57 Ripper X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 343 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:23 PM

Are there any recording of the Town Hall available?

#58 Praehotec8

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 851 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:00 PM

View PostThatGuy539, on 17 December 2014 - 01:12 PM, said:

Hmm....that reminds me. Been seeing a lot of new players lately. To all new players. Don't use a joystick with this game. Mouse and keyboard work much better.

I won't argue with you that mouse/keyboard are the optimal setup for aiming in the game, but I will argue with you that one can use a joystick with reasonable success. I have run a full HOTAS and pedals setup for the past two years, and maintain a positive K:D ratio and W:L ratio. I find the joystick much more entertaining to use, and managing multiple weapon groups is much simpler (as is alternating group/chain fire).

Yes, there are some things a joystick makes difficult (long-range precise aiming for one), and there is certainly a learning curve (I probably lost the first 50 or so matches when making the switch), but the joystick is a much more immersive way to play. I don't think players should be discouraged from using them (unless they plan to play at the top 1% level), but they should know what they are getting into.

Actually PPFLD and similar game issues would be less problematic if players used joysticks...

#59 Mister Dubis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 175 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:29 PM

View PostRipper X, on 17 December 2014 - 08:23 PM, said:

Are there any recording of the Town Hall available?

i would also like a recording as i was at work at the time of the meeting and Iz wantz zee infoz

#60 PhoenixNMGLB

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 307 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:32 PM

Does anyone know if there is a transcript anywhere?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users