Leg Damage From Fall

12 replies to this topic

#1 Harbinger Prime

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:57 PM

This is something that has bugged me for a while but CW has made it painfully obvious. Mechs are meant to be doped out of drop ships without any damage and in CW the the are dropping 25-30 meters without a scratch yet when on the ground you can walk over a 3 meter drop and your legs get damaged. In the engineering departments I have worked in the engineer that had shock absorbance as an optional feature would be fired in an instant along with the one that made any mech with out at least the option of one energy weapon which is something else brought to light during the 30 min CW when you run out of ammo and are forced to eject.

So please get rid of drop damage altogether, it makes no sense in light of successful 25+ meter drops or increase the damage threshold to 25 meters in all instances.

#2 o0Marduk0o

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:18 PM

Please stop making unreasonable threads like this one. Furthermore this is the wrong place to make suggestions like yours. This forum section is about feedback for the latest patch.

#3 Harbinger Prime

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:26 PM

View Posto0Marduk0o, on 16 December 2014 - 02:18 PM, said:

Please stop making unreasonable threads like this one. Furthermore this is the wrong place to make suggestions like yours. This forum section is about feedback for the latest patch.

The reason it is in this thread is that in this patch you can see how far they fall out of the drop ships and therefore it is pertinent. Also please explain how it is unreasonable thread?

#4 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:41 PM

View PostHarbinger Prime, on 16 December 2014 - 02:26 PM, said:

The reason it is in this thread is that in this patch you can see how far they fall out of the drop ships and therefore it is pertinent. Also please explain how it is unreasonable thread?

Did fall damage got added this patch? If you dislike fall damage, this thread is a bit late.
Fall damage adds depths to gameplay, you can't or shouldn't move everywhere, same as the hill climb slow-down effect. Not starting with leg damage when dropping out of your ship CW is a different thing. This is a game play decision.

#5 Harbinger Prime

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 03:15 PM

View Posto0Marduk0o, on 16 December 2014 - 02:41 PM, said:

Did fall damage got added this patch? If you dislike fall damage, this thread is a bit late.
Fall damage adds depths to gameplay, you can't or shouldn't move everywhere, same as the hill climb slow-down effect. Not starting with leg damage when dropping out of your ship CW is a different thing. This is a game play decision.

How is dropping out of a drop ship different than going from one level to the next on some of the city maps and as I said this patch makes it blatantly obvious how silly fall damage is. Also if you mean by adding depths to game play by making you use 15k GXP and 6 mil credits to fix something that was not an issue before that patch I guess it dose add depth to game play, unfortunately it is not (IMO) fun game play.

#6 tripsangel

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 72 posts
  • LocationUSA, WA

Posted 16 December 2014 - 03:26 PM

personally i think we should be running out of the drop ship... not literally dropping from it...

#7 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 04:11 PM

View PostHarbinger Prime, on 16 December 2014 - 03:15 PM, said:

How is dropping out of a drop ship different than going from one level to the next on some of the city maps and as I said this patch makes it blatantly obvious how silly fall damage is. Also if you mean by adding depths to game play by making you use 15k GXP and 6 mil credits to fix something that was not an issue before that patch I guess it dose add depth to game play, unfortunately it is not (IMO) fun game play.

Do you think anyone is slotting the shock absorb module?

#8 Event Horizon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 252 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:18 PM

This post is legit since the patch brought CW and in CW you are dropped from dropships like he stated.

He does have a point.

#9 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:37 PM

Mech's have 1 use retro-rocket thrusters that are ejected upon landing as they are spent.

These are the reason you don't take damage when dropped from a dropship at the beginning of the game.

Boom, problem solved.

Edited by Troutmonkey, 16 December 2014 - 10:38 PM.

#10 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:56 PM

View Posto0Marduk0o, on 16 December 2014 - 04:11 PM, said:

Do you think anyone is slotting the shock absorb module?

Yes.

#11 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:26 AM

View PostChann Luf, on 16 December 2014 - 11:49 PM, said:

This is how it is done in lore. Your just missing the animations...

Falldamage is a good thing. But still has an issue when your running down a hill. You just need a little bump and you get damage... that's be cause they just track vertical speed and not really free fall. Thats still wrong but better than having no fall damage at all. Or would you just jump off the roof of your house expecting you won't get hurt when you hit the ground?

Tongue in, jaw clenched, thumbs not locked in fists, exhale, drop, knees bent and roll it out. I would advise a hang drop for two story buildings but, the dynamics involved are a bit more complicated on those. Did it hundreds of times as a youth (it was before home computing) walked away from every one.

#12 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:47 AM

View Posto0Marduk0o, on 16 December 2014 - 02:41 PM, said:

Fall damage has been increasing worst due to bad movement code...
Recently something I have been noticing is the stuck/floating bug...
Happens when running to slopes at high speed....

You lose all movement control and your mech enters a 'floating' state with the damage vertical speed counter growing at an extremely high rate before smashing into the ground for MAX fall damage...

Here is an example...

@4m 7s : Ahh... -123 REALLY PGI ?
@4m 28s : Ahh.. Fall damage going up a hill ?? Really ??

Look at 4m 28s... I go from 89% to 83%... That's 5% leg armour gone in what it seems to be less than a second.
(Here I thought fall damage was only suppose to activate after 1 second... )

I can sympathies with OP on this issue.

Edited by ShinVector, 17 December 2014 - 12:48 AM.

#13 Harbinger Prime

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:22 PM

View PostTroutmonkey, on 16 December 2014 - 10:37 PM, said:

Mech's have 1 use retro-rocket thrusters that are ejected upon landing as they are spent.

These are the reason you don't take damage when dropped from a dropship at the beginning of the game.

Boom, problem solved.

I am an old fart who played with paper and pencil in my twenty's but as I recall those were only used for orbital drops after the pod opened and kicked in after the drag shoot was released not for use while getting out of a drop ship 30 meters form the ground.

View PostChann Luf, on 16 December 2014 - 11:49 PM, said:

This is how it is done in lore. Your just missing the animations...

Falldamage is a good thing. But still has an issue when your running down a hill. You just need a little bump and you get damage... that's be cause they just track vertical speed and not really free fall. Thats still wrong but better than having no fall damage at all. Or would you just jump off the roof of your house expecting you won't get hurt when you hit the ground?

The roof analogy is silly you are comparing a biological with a mechanical which is designed for battle and would be sent back to the manufacture for not meeting MIL spec (which I have dealt with) you cant have legs take damage from a drop of this height
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users