Gaming Headset, And Desktop Amp/speakers

5 replies to this topic

#1 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:36 AM

So having been playing this game for around 2 years,, i finally jumped into a 12man group last night, thanks to the guys over at Twitch.. (thank you very much for letting me join you, i had a blast!)

I got TS installed, but i am lacking a mic, and need a new gaming head set. I think i will pick up a cheap mic today to hold me over, But i really want to get a decent gaming headset to use. So can anyone recommend one in the 50-70 dollar range?

I am thinking i should be-able to find something on sale coming soon, or perhaps someone has spotted a good deal on a nice head set, or maybe know of something that i should keep an eye on..

Most important aspect, other than decent sound.. It MUST fit someone with a large head, 7 3/4 (aka large/extra large) . Nothing i can't stand more is something that does not fit.. Hurts my ears, get head-ache, and just not fun to wear.. So please speak up if you have a large cranium like me, and know something that fits well.

Also, on a side note.. I have been considering getting some desk top speakers, OR a desk top amp, with a volume control, for when i don't want to have on a headset. I have an old Klipsh 5.1 surround sound set, that blew the amp years ago.. But the speakers are all still good,.. Maybe i should see about getting it fixed, if they still do that, But if not, anyone know a decent amp i could plug um into to get um working? even just a stereo amp would work just fine for me, especially if it has a head phone port, as outside of this, all i play strategy, RPGs, or adventure, so surround sound is really unnecessary for me.

So any thoughts on things i can be looking into to fill me needs, I don't have a lot of cash, so don't recommend something in the 125+ range, and really im looking to spend about 50 perhaps..

any thoughts? So i can get into some more group action and get to talk next time?

#2 Roadbuster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,437 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:12 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 17 December 2014 - 04:36 AM, said:

Most important aspect, other than decent sound.. It MUST fit someone with a large head, 7 3/4 (aka large/extra large) . Nothing i can't stand more is something that does not fit.. Hurts my ears, get head-ache, and just not fun to wear.. So please speak up if you have a large cranium like me, and know something that fits well.

I know what you mean. I've tried alot of headsets over the years and finally found one that's very comfortable for me, a Plantronics GameCom 367.
The volume control wheel is not great but the mic and sound are good and I can keep them on for hours without a problem.
I've been using that for ~6 years now and it survived a number of LAN parties too.
It's worth a try.

From my experience the difference between a headset for 500$ and one for 50$ is not as big as one would think, as long as it does what it should and is comfortable to wear with good sound and mic.

EDIT: Just checked, Amazon lists them for 43$

Edited by Roadbuster, 17 December 2014 - 05:19 AM.

#3 RangerGee412

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 308 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:18 AM

My gf bought me a Logitech 930 wireless headset and it is fantastic. Nicely built, comfortable and the controls for volume etc are great. Its out of your stated price range but they offer cheaper models and I highly recommend them.

#4 Smokeyjedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:33 AM

Anything Logitec. Have had super awesome results and reliability( I have toddler and a 6 year old) After Buying GS500 mouse and G230 Headset(around 50$ Can.) I haven't looked back or had a reason to...........

**Edit** Looking forward to buying Logitec gaming keyboard.Only Corsair makes another option for me.but Logitec is my first choice.

Edited by Smokeyjedi, 17 December 2014 - 06:34 AM.

#5 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:44 AM

Don't buy a gaming headset. Stuff that gets branded for gaming immediately has money tacked onto its price tag to a stupid degree, and all gaming headsets except, like, the Razer Carcharias and Corsair sets (maybe the PX21 if it didn't have the amp hiss) sound like complete crap, and Razer's corners were cut on construction so those are a no-go anyways.

There are $20 headphones that beat effectively all gaming headsets, and I'm not exaggerating: the Sennheiser HD-201 and Monoprice 8323 are both as good or better than even the cream of the crop for gaming sound. The 201s are the better of the two.

If you want audio equipment, get something branded for serious audio use, not something where you'll pay and arm and a leg for marketing because it's for "hardcare gaming"

Speakers I'm not terribly up on, I'm afraid. I'm a headphone guy.

Still, if you can't fix the Klipsh set, you can get another surround system at that price point, like the Logitech Z506

http://www.amazon.co...p=1418831430768

Edited by Catamount, 17 December 2014 - 08:00 AM.

#6 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:52 PM

ended up going to best buy... they had a turtle beach headset for 60 bucks... was an X-box, PC set... i tried um on and they fit perfect... i have 3 weeks to retunr um if the mic and sound sucks...

they are called the X-12.... Anyone hear of them?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users